Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

randombattle posted:

The most hosed up thing is that this is even an issue. You have a government carpet bombing its own city and shoot anyone they see but that still doesnt matter in the international community.

Makes you wonder just how bad it would have to be for them just act with out deliberation.

Well it's partially hidden from public view because reporters are not allowed in. The major media typically shies away from "unconfirmed" internal sources because getting something major wrong (like that thing about the israel fighters) could cause a major shitstorm for them.

That said... that's about the only excuse I can come up with. This is seriously a messed up situation and deserves a lot more attention than it is getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Oh, man, this guy on Al Jazeera. Imprisoned by the Libyan government for 18 years (4 years in solitary), and seems almost embarrassed to talk about it because what the government is doing to people now makes his suffering seem minor by comparison. Poor guy. :smith: To suffer 18 years in jail, then to look and see what the government is doing now and think "this is much worse than what I went through" is amazing.

Also, "Qaddaffi and his family are not humans. They are devils." I like this guy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Are you honestly considering the possibility of that happening? What's wrong with you?

It's really scary, isn't it? People take rumours tweets at face-value. It's like 1940's.

"Did you hear that Hitler escaped to Brazil! Reportedly a Mexican battleship sunk a Royal Navy ship guarding the Kiel harbor to enable him and Goebbels to escape on an invisible paddle boat."

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
You know, it just dawned on me, but we don't know what's exactly happening in Tripoli right now. There's next to none information coming out of the country right now. We know nothing about the situation in Tripoli, except that the air force are pulling an Operation Rolling Thunder on anybody alive in there, while mercenaries kill any survivors. But from all we know, the army could be fighting alongside the protesters, or they could be helping the mercenaries. The protesters could be fighting back, or getting completely wasted by the mercenaries. We just don't know. All we can do is speculate.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.
Guy on AJE in Tripoli is describing the roving mercenaries, planes, and seeing what sounds like tracer rounds being fired off into the air in the distance.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
@Ace Oliveira

We can say for sure they aren't planting gardens and walking down the street and in hand. There is some horrible stuff happening over there right now.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Sounds like the protesters need to get some of the military working on their side. Perhaps there are more air force units in Libya that don't approve of this, and are willing to actually fight back? One can only hope. If two colonels defected on the spot, maybe some others can organize a counter-attack.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Al Jezeera English live feed. You want info, its here.

Apparently the Libyan flag switch done at the London embassy was done by protesters, not the embassy staff. Libyan Ambassador in London has not resigned, and has not spoken against the regime.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Sivias posted:

@Ace Oliveira

Please don't do this, use the quote button. It's a thread, not a chat between two posters.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ace Oliveira posted:

But from all we know, the army could be fighting alongside the protesters, or they could be helping the mercenaries. The protesters could be fighting back, or getting completely wasted by the mercenaries. We just don't know. All we can do is speculate.

There's definitely some elements of the army that have already joined up with the protesters.

Even ignoring the reports of tanks being used to overrun police and mercenary positions (at the Benghazi airport, I think), there were Youtube videos of dead mercenaries with soldiers among the crowd explaining what was happening.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Globo-Corp posted:

Sounds like the protesters need to get some of the military working on their side. Perhaps there are more air force units in Libya that don't approve of this, and are willing to actually fight back? One can only hope. If two colonels defected on the spot, maybe some others can organize a counter-attack.

There were videos circulating earlier that were allegedly soldiers who'd refused to fire on civilians. Whoever they were they'd been tied up and burnt alive.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/us-libya-protests-malta-idUSTRE71K52R20110221

quote:

Two Libyan Air Force fighter pilots defected on Monday and flew their jets to Malta where they told authorities they had been ordered to bomb protesters, Maltese government officials said.

They said the two pilots, both colonels, took off from a base near Tripoli. One of them has requested political asylum.

This is the beginning of the end for Gaddafi. There is no way to come back from trying to have your air force bomb your own cities to quiet dissent. He going to have to leave soon or be hung by a mob.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of bombing

quote:

Ominous news from our colleagues over at BBC Monitoring: "'Libyan military source confirms orders were issued for the aerial bombardment of Benghazi within two hours,'" reported Al-Arabiya TV in an urgent screen caption at 1947 GMT."

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
My friend's latest update is:

quote:

Ugent!! Ppl in tripoli and tajoura stay away from open areas stay away keep behind Walls!! And cars even if there IS no body in your area. If you here gunshots try to cover 2 bullets just missed us and it came from scay there is shooting but like 10 mins from here. I don’t have Arabic please some one write it in Arabic. Inna lilah wa inna ilayhi rajeoon. They r killin everyone!!

Not heard anything more in 2 hours (I'm refreshing like mad). They were out celebrating last night - it looked like it was all over. Now it's just a bloodbath.

schadenfraud fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 21, 2011

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ace Oliveira posted:

You know, it just dawned on me, but we don't know what's exactly happening in Tripoli right now. There's next to none information coming out of the country right now. We know nothing about the situation in Tripoli, except that the air force are pulling an Operation Rolling Thunder on anybody alive in there, while mercenaries kill any survivors. But from all we know, the army could be fighting alongside the protesters, or they could be helping the mercenaries. The protesters could be fighting back, or getting completely wasted by the mercenaries. We just don't know. All we can do is speculate.

Im pretty sure that bombing the city is not the airforce fighting along side protesters. From the reporys by the defected fighter pilots its pretty much clear that they are just bombing any large civilian group they see.

There isnt any other way to see the situation.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

randombattle posted:

Im pretty sure that bombing the city is not the airforce fighting along side protesters.

I...didn't say that?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Globo-Corp posted:

Sounds like the protesters need to get some of the military working on their side.

We don't know that this isn't already happening, really. Maybe some army units have joined the rebellion and the air force is bombing them? All information coming from Libya is so sketchy that Picasso's Guernica looks like a realistic depiction of the event in comparison. Anything that the government officials say is doubtful, anything that the protesters say is doubtful.

Eg. there is much talk about 'mercenaries' and everyone seems to take it as an accepted fact, but there is no proof of this, just claims. Just like there have been repeated claims for a few days now that Gaddafi has left the country for good. Russians also claimed there were Latvian female mercenaries sniping at their troops in Afghanistan/Chechnya/Georgia. I'm not saying that any of this isn't possible, but the information is too sketchy and too biased to really know what is going on.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Ace Oliveira posted:

I...didn't say that?

Nah im just saying there isnt much to speculate in this.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Slantedfloors posted:

There's definitely some elements of the army that have already joined up with the protesters.

Even ignoring the reports of tanks being used to overrun police and mercenary positions (at the Benghazi airport, I think), there were Youtube videos of dead mercenaries with soldiers among the crowd explaining what was happening.

poo poo, I wonder if they're arming the protesters then. Al-Jazeera was talking about more mercenaries arriving in air planes in the Tripoli airport, I think. Maybe they were taking casualties and had to bring in reinforcements?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
For anyone who didn't see the YouTube video I posted earlier, it's been put on Facebook apparently.

:siren:WARNING: hosed UP poo poo:siren:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=203209353028633&oid=197898230226131&comments&ref=mf

gently caress this. gently caress all of it.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

For anyone who didn't see the YouTube video I posted earlier, it's been put on Facebook apparently.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=203209353028633&oid=197898230226131&comments&ref=mf

I'm not going to watch unnecessary dismembered arms, legs, or brains. Is there any relevant content? ie. helicopter shown firing or something to give more solid evidence of the events as they happen instead of just. 'Dead People!!' The lack of reporters there is annoying.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Berlusconi has decided to go from backing Libya to saying the EU needs to intervene - although exactly what he means by intervention though, is probably not Military. From the BBC live ticker.

quote:

2014: Beleaguered Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has weighed in with his thoughts on events in Libya, calling attacks on protesters "unacceptable". The EU should step in to prevent the situation from escalating into a civil war, he adds.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Al Jazeera announces it is allowing any networks to broadcast its material due to the deliberate scrambling of its signals by Libya. During jamming, Al Jazeera English can be watched on Hotbird 13E Frequency: 11034 Vertical FEC: 3/4 Symbol rate: 27500; on Badr4/Eurobird 2 (26East) Frequency : 11680.8 Horizontal; SR: 27.5: FEC: 3/4; and on Nilesat/ Atlantic Bird4A (7West) Frequency: 11393 Vertical; SR:27.5; FEC :3/4

Al Jazeera Arabic can be watched on Nilesat 7W Frequency: 11555 Vertical FEC: 3/4 Symbol rate: 27500

http://blogs.aljazeera.net/middle-east/2011/02/17/live-blog-libya

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

e: wait no way to know if that's actually libya

Bonemerang
May 7, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I kind of wish I hadn't seen that. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

SauceNinja posted:

I'm not going to watch unnecessary dismembered arms, legs, or brains. Is there any relevant content? ie. helicopter shown firing or something to give more solid evidence of the events as they happen instead of just. 'Dead People!!' The lack of reporters there is annoying.

I'd say bodies are pretty loving relevant to the assertion that there's a mass murder going on, especially with the types of damage inflicted upon them.

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme

Nuclear Spoon posted:

gently caress them. I hope they all burn for what they have done. This is...I don't even have a word for how loving barbaric it is. Nothing I can say or express can properly convey how much rage I feel that someone/anyone can do that to another person.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

ukle posted:

Berlusconi has decided to go from backing Libya to saying the EU needs to intervene

"Angela: you with-a me? Over de top! Italia and Deutschland, TOGETHER AGAIN!"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well this thread is moving fast, so sorry if this is a repost.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=164752430243044

This video seems to confirm that Gaddafi executed troops that refused his orders.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'd say bodies are pretty loving relevant to the assertion that there's a mass murder going on, especially with the types of damage inflicted upon them.

They're definitely part of the equation. Unfortunately people die all the time without being killed by the Libyan armed forces. I'm not saying they're innocent, but I'm not going to assume every picture of a severed foot, exploded head, or bloody brownish person is in Libya and shot by their government. For me, a picture of them attempting to shoot people is more damning than a person who has been shot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've only been glancing at this thread and the news from time to time, but I can't understand why these governments aren't saying "but....but Israel!" to try and regain order. Isn't that what they normally do when faced with hard domestic problems? Would it not work somehow, or do they have some other plan?

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Probably because nobody would believe them except reactionist Americans :shobon:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Here's the big question: if there is (and likely will be) an intervention into Libya that unseats Gadaffi, what message does that send to Bahrain, Yemen, and other nations? Because everything Gadaffi is doing is being done on a smaller scale in those places.

Bahrain might not be using anti-aircraft guns on people, but besieging hospitals and beating protesters unrecognizable comes close.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've only been glancing at this thread and the news from time to time, but I can't understand why these governments aren't saying "but....but Israel!" to try and regain order. Isn't that what they normally do when faced with hard domestic problems? Would it not work somehow, or do they have some other plan?

I get the feeling there is no plan, only horror and blood. Dictators are used to putting down uprisings, but not of this scale. Right now it's just a bloody civil war that will only end with Ghaddafi dead.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

That stuff doesn't work, because people aren't stupid. They might not like Israel for other reasons, but they're not going to fall for bad propaganda from the power structure they're trying to destroy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Here's the big question: if there is (and likely will be) an intervention into Libya that unseats Gadaffi, what message does that send to Bahrain, Yemen, and other nations? Because everything Gadaffi is doing is being done on a smaller scale in those places.

Bahrain might not be using anti-aircraft guns on people, but besieging hospitals and beating protesters unrecognizable comes close.

I don't think Bahrain is above using the Libyan tactics of using military weaponry and mercenaries to slaughter protesters if they ever got any bigger, or actually threatened the monarchy.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I get the feeling there is no plan, only horror and blood. Dictators are used to putting down uprisings, but not of this scale. Right now it's just a bloody civil war that will only end with Ghaddafi dead.

Worldwide, there are more of Us than there are of Them.

The fact that people everywhere are realizing (in many senses of the word) this is very encouraging. I haven't had this much general optimism in years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

That stuff doesn't work, because people aren't stupid. They might not like Israel for other reasons, but they're not going to fall for bad propaganda from the power structure they're trying to destroy.
Well I mean, I'm not surprised that it wouldn't work, but I am surprised they haven't tried out of desperation. The last few pages have had a few rumors, that's all.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Too loving right Qatari prime minister. Bout time the EU and NATO (or the Arab League or anyone else for that matter) stepped up to the plate and actually intervened in a genocide for once rather than sitting back tutting and then saying 'never again' once it's all over. I'm not calling for boots on the ground or anything like that but gently caress, you've got Italy, France and Spain (off the top of my head) all within striking distance, all with modern air forces. Surely a no-fly zone wouldn't be too controversial an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

schadenfraud posted:

My friend's latest update is:

Not heard anything more in 2 hours (I'm refreshing like mad). They were out celebrating last night - it looked like it was all over. Now it's just a bloodbath.

I fear very strongly for your friend. It does not look good. He is in the middle of nothing short of a massacre by a government of its own people. They don't care about who they kill - they are killing everyone, punishing all the citizens for daring to speak out against a criminal regime.

I literally won't hold it against the Libyan people if they shoot back and kill soldiers who are trying to kill them.

• Locked thread