Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know that you could point anti-aircraft guns at targets on the ground. Or can the protesters fly?
You sure can, buddy! Look up the German 88 mm. Hilariously, it was used to this end in this very area!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Lasagna posted:

I wish my country (Italy) would finally show some balls, and after asking consent of NATO and EU, step up and send a fat task force to kick those mercs in the balls and hang them high.
First to protect Lybians, tben to protect italians living and working there (which are many), and finally to protect our interests there and keep oil prices from jumping high

Shouldn't your country be busy ridding yourself of your own corrupt leader?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Slantedfloors posted:

Pretty much.

As horrific and disgusting as the Libyan/Bahraini governments reaction to the protests and the number of people killed are, any revolutions have to be entirely internal if they're going to be perceived as legitimate. The point isn't just that they get a new government, it needs to be that the people were able to overthrow their rulers and demand their rights.

Well, we don't need to pull a full all out war against the Libyan military to help the protesters. We could do it diplomatically, or economically. We could help them. We don't need to invade the country to do it.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know that you could point anti-aircraft guns at targets on the ground. Or can the protesters fly?

Sure you can. The Germans did it towards the end of WWII.

Edit: Beaten like the Third Reich.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Look at the video earlier itt. Or rather don't.
12,7mm on person will rip you to pieces.

sometimes I can't believe how humans can be so horrible to another.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Germans put one on their loving tanks in WWII

edit: beaten like the americans to space

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Slantedfloors posted:

Pretty much.

As horrific and disgusting as the Libyan/Bahraini governments reaction to the protests and the number of people killed are, any revolutions have to be entirely internal if they're going to be perceived as legitimate. The point isn't just that they get a new government, it needs to be that the people were able to overthrow their rulers and demand their rights.

Not endorsing or opposing this view, just pointing out that "the people get the government they deserve" and "democracy has to be earned" were republican talking points, prior to Bush's presidency. Hell, Bush himself used them during his 2000 campaign.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Boner Slam posted:

Look at the video earlier itt. Or rather don't.
12,7mm on person will rip you to pieces.

sometimes I can't believe how humans can be so horrible to another.
Holy hell. I can't imagine pointing that at a person and pulling the trigger. What range is the shell meant to explode at anyway?

And I don't think I will be watching that video.

edit: Oh, are they not shells that are meant to explode at a certain range? that was the image of an anti-aircraft gun I had in my head.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 21, 2011

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Russians used Shilkas extensively against ground targets in the Caucuses. They're absolutely devastating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSU-23-4

edit: That guy in pieces in the earlier video probably caught an round from a ZU or a Hind's Autocannon.

BIG HORNY COW fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2011

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

Yeah man I'm sure the family of the future thousands killed will rest happily knowing that a possible foreign intervention could have gotten the same results without their husband/wife/child brutally murdered ending in more or less the same conclusion.

Would it really matter if say, US forces came in, captured Gadaffi and the general oligarchy, ended the carnage and handed it to the people? Does anyone really think the rest of the world will just say "nuh-uh, that doesn't count, give the good colonel his weapons back!"

You are simple-minded. If the United States goes in and removes Gadaffi and sets up a puppet government - which they would - how do you think that would be percieved in the Middle East?

Don't you think the next tinpot dictator would say that protests are all being engineered by the West and people would actually begin to listen?

These revolutions have to be by the people for them to be legitimate.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh god drat. I peeked at that video posted earlier and then read the subsequent comments and now I feel a bit dizzy. These people are being turned to actual human mush. gently caress, it's a real-life Bloody Mess. :cry:

Seriously, is there anything going to be done to stop this last-ditch genocidal "gently caress you" by Qaddafi to the Libyan people?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2011

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Priapist posted:

This would explain the injuries shown in the video posted earlier.

It's likely the video and the rumor have the same source - and the claim seems credible, but remains unconfirmed.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Ace Oliveira posted:

Well, we don't need to pull a full all out war against the Libyan military to help the protesters. We could do it diplomatically, or economically. We could help them. We don't need to invade the country to do it.

You are right and wrong at the same time. We wouldn't have to have a full war/invasion to help them. But diplomacy, and economics are not options. Gaddafi knows that he is on the way out, and he is dead set on leaving a pile of bodies as revenge.

DrLaserfalcon
Nov 7, 2010
Lot going on today. Here's a fierce clip of protesters in Tangier, Morocco taking on police vehicles with rocks...

http://www.frequency.com/video/tangier-morocco-riots-pt-3/2795069

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

roundmidnight posted:

If the United States goes in and removes Gadaffi and sets up a puppet government - which they would[CITATION NEEDED] - how do you think that would be percieved in the Middle East?
(emphasis mine)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

roundmidnight posted:

You are simple-minded. If the United States goes in and removes Gadaffi and sets up a puppet government - which they would - how do you think that would be percieved in the Middle East?

Don't you think the next tinpot dictator would say that protests are all being engineered by the West and people would actually begin to listen?

These revolutions have to be by the people for them to be legitimate.

It's the 'sets up a government' that puts your hypothesis beyond my scenario.

And again, do you honestly think the nations of the world would say "no, this doesn't count, put Gadaffi's son in charge and try again". What does 'legitimate' even mean in this context?

e. don't worry, I know I'm a hopeless idealist :smith:

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Uglycat posted:

It's likely the video and the rumor have the same source - and the claim seems credible, but remains unconfirmed.

I won't be surprised if they were using incendiary weapons too. Like napalm and white phosphorus.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Priapist posted:

This would explain the injuries shown in the video posted earlier.

The same man just said militia entered the hospitals and shot wounded and doctors, accusing them of aiding traitors. I feel ill just thinking about it all.

Nessus posted:

You sure can, buddy! Look up the German 88 mm. Hilariously, it was used to this end in this very area!
AA guns have classically been an extremely effective anti-infantry weapon because of their large caliber, high rates of fire, and explosive ammunition.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Not putting a stop to this will leave a country in ruins where more or less everyone is either dead or has a bad case of PTSD. That is not a foundation to build a new and working government on.

If that monster is allowed to continue this genocide until he fails, I think Libya will no longer be a working state, regardless of how the next leadership is chosen.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Sivias posted:

What if Israel offered some sort of large humanitarian aid assistance? That would be seen as a sign of good faith and a step towards unity?

I think the best thing they can do is sit this out

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Cjones posted:

Guy on AJE just said they're using anti-aircraft weapons on protesters :psyduck:

... Jesus Christ. :(

That's just....

Jesus.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy hell. I can't imagine pointing that at a person and pulling the trigger. What range is the shell meant to explode at anyway?

And I don't think I will be watching that video.

edit: Oh, are they not shells that are meant to explode at a certain range? that was the image of an anti-aircraft gun I had in my head.

Depends. 12,7mm are huge machine guns, while those anti-air tanks posted earlier have downright shells that also explode, however they shoot as fast as a machine gun.

If you want to use one system that causes the most devastation when fired in a crowd, this is it.

Here is a picture of an older German AA tank like that:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Gepard_1a2_v0-mess.jpg

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Uglycat posted:

Not endorsing or opposing this view, just pointing out that "the people get the government they deserve" and "democracy has to be earned" were republican talking points, prior to Bush's presidency. Hell, Bush himself used them during his 2000 campaign.
Well that's just Bush talking horseshit again. I'm not talking about "democracy being earned" or "getting the government they deserve", I'm talking about what people will remember about these revolutions twenty or thirty years down the line and what kind of impact they'll have on the culture of the country.

Any new democracies have to come from the people and be considered an entirely Tunisian/Egyptian/Libyan affair, because they're ultimately the ones who will have to defend it. If, god forbid, some new jackass tries to seize power in one of these countries, the revolution needs to be remembered as a time when the people rose as one and got rid of him by themselves - as a focal point that can be used any time their rights are threatened. Foreign military aid is just going to fog over the whole issue and make it easier for the lessons learned to be forgotten or ignored.

In fact, Iraq and Afghanistan are pretty much the exact conundrum I'm wary of. Outside military intervention overthrowing their oppressive dictators resulted in the new government being seen as either corrupt, identical to the last, or spineless puppets. The Iraqi and Afghani democracies are probably not going to last in their present form because the Iraqi and Afghani people have no personal stake in them.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

It's the 'sets up a government' that puts your hypothesis beyond my scenario.

And again, do you honestly think the nations of the world would say "no, this doesn't count, put Gadaffi's son in charge and try again". What does 'legitimate' even mean in this context?

e. don't worry, I know I'm a hopeless idealist :smith:

It means that it has to be an actual revolution, not a foreign coup.

And when has the U.S. government NOT set up a puppet government when it has invaded?

Sh3kel
Dec 26, 2003
Hard Currency, Thick Skull

korranus posted:

I think the best thing they can do is sit this out

That's pretty much what we intend to do with this and most every other country around us. They don't really want our help right now - either side.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Sivias posted:

What if Israel offered some sort of large humanitarian aid assistance? That would be seen as a sign of good faith and a step towards unity?

Israel actually did that in regards to Albania and Bosnia. They even went out of their way to make sure that the UN didn't accidentally drop pork during food drops. Israel's benevolent actions didn't help their image in the rest of the Muslim world, but Albanians love Israel now..

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Agreed, this is exactly what an emergency no fly zone is for, once you have bombers landing out of the country with orders to bomb there own people (an order that you know is against every treaty ever)

This is the kind of poo poo that caused Europe to make post facto laws after WWII, educated Pilots should know better then anyone else. Following orders is not a defense for Officers.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Plow posted:

Unconfirmed reports:

-Ambulances, loaded ships, and other forms of medical aid being sent to Libya by Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey

-Helicopters being used by the regime in Tripoli

-Soldiers "burnt alive in barracks" for refusing to remain loyal to the regime with video evidence of the bodies being discovered: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=164752430243044

Jesus loving Christ that is so gruesome.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

:siren:WARNING: REALLY loving GROSS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:siren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFNmlGYmaeA&feature=player_embedded#at=15

:siren:THAT WAS loving GROSS WASN'T IT?:siren:

I couldn't actually bring myself to watch after the first really gross thing.

I am so angry right now that someone can do this to so many people. So angry.

Video already removed, so if you could summarize what you saw please? What country, what the content of the video was, please?

I am currently 1,837 tweets behind on following my own list :shobon: I'm so glad I shared it with y'all so you could help me digest & disseminate the news contained in those tweets. You guys rock :love:

Edit: Found the video on Facebook, man in chunks :barf:

Apology fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 21, 2011

Sh3kel
Dec 26, 2003
Hard Currency, Thick Skull

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Israel actually did that in regards to Albania and Bosnia. They even went out of their way to make sure that the UN didn't accidentally drop pork during food drops. Israel's benevolent actions didn't help their image in the rest of the Muslim world, but Albanians love Israel now..

We also sent aid to Iran during the earthquake. Still in danger of being nuked.

EskimoFreeState
Jul 23, 2007

I AM COMING FOR YOU,

AND YOU WILL LEAD ME TO THE DANCE FLOOR.

Doccers posted:

... Jesus Christ. :(

That's just....

Jesus.

After seeing the soldiers burning bodies video on Facebook, I'm pretty much never clicking on any link to a video every again.

I liked it more back when "Not Mind Safe" meant "something slightly disturbing, probably involving butts, is happening behind these words" instead of "human decency is a fragile and disposible construct, and I can prove it."

Content, random question, and sorry if this has been explained already: Who decided on this spelling of Gadhafi's name? I read in one of the Straight Dope books that there's somewhere like 200 permutations of Anglicizing his full name, and it always used to be Khaddafi when I was younger.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Apology posted:

Video already removed, so if you could summarize what you saw please? What country, what the content of the video was, please?

Libyans reduced to piles of mush with faces by AA rounds
I have a strong stomach for that kinda poo poo, but I don't ever want to see that video again

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

The Libyan ambassador to the U.S. literally just called for the rest of the world to stop the massacre on AJE.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

roundmidnight posted:

And when has the U.S. government NOT set up a puppet government when it has invaded?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

This statement does not prove your conclusion.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

(emphasis mine)

No, yeah. They'd definitely let the Libyans et al decide their own course for government and foreign/market policy after large-scale intervention. It would be the perfect opportunity to install leaders who wouldn't change the status quo and keep things the way America wants them, but democracy is democracy and that just wouldn't be right!!!!!

No.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Apology posted:

Still images of mostly injured/dead people in varying states of disrepair, photos taken inside a hospital. Like, head & upper torso is here, then some fleshy hamburger bits, then nothing, then legs :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the Guardian
This could be a particularly ominous development however. Libyan airspace has been closed, the Austrian Army is saying.

One of its transport planes, with some 60 European Union citizens onboard, is believed to be stranded in Tripoli at the moment.

"The entire airspace is currently blocked," an Austrian Defence Ministry employee told the German Press Agency dpa.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Uglycat posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_induction

This statement does not prove your conclusion.

Logic and realpolitik don't often match up.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

roundmidnight posted:

It means that it has to be an actual revolution, not a foreign coup.

But it doesn't matter who physically gets rid of Gadaffi. Again I was serious with my question; what does 'actual' or 'real' revolution mean? I'm dead serious; do you think other nations would disregard a new democratic Libyan nation because Gadaffi was captured by foreign troops?

I also didn't mean the US specifically by the way, I just thought it would shorter than to say "any stable military powerful foreign power" and kinda assumed that was obvious. I'd rather it be UN peacekeeping troops or whatever.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EskimoFreeState posted:

After seeing the soldiers burning bodies video on Facebook, I'm pretty much never clicking on any link to a video every again.

I liked it more back when "Not Mind Safe" meant "something slightly disturbing, probably involving butts, is happening behind these words" instead of "human decency is a fragile and disposible construct, and I can prove it."

Content, random question, and sorry if this has been explained already: Who decided on this spelling of Gadhafi's name? I read in one of the Straight Dope books that there's somewhere like 200 permutations of Anglicizing his full name, and it always used to be Khaddafi when I was younger.

If I'm correct (and I might not be), but a lot of arabic pronunciations are strictly phonetical interpretations since the alphabets don't exactly transcribe to each other. Thus lots of arabic words have alternate spellings in other languages. Al Queda Al Queda/Al Qaeda...Osama/Usama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Syphilicious! posted:

No, yeah. They'd definitely let the Libyans et al decide their own course for government and foreign/market policy after large-scale intervention. It would be the perfect opportunity to install leaders who wouldn't change the status quo and keep things the way America wants them, but democracy is democracy and that just wouldn't be right!!!!!

No.

I didn't say by necessity they would. I pointed out that your assertion - that you have certain knowledge they would not - is unsupported. And it remains so.

roundmidnight posted:

Logic and realpolitik don't often match up.

Now seems like a good time to push for it.

• Locked thread