Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Apology posted:

Jesus loving Christ that is so gruesome.

Video already removed, so if you could summarize what you saw please? What country, what the content of the video was, please?

I was only able to stomach a few seconds of it, but it was basically a hospital with human beings resembling hamburger meat. No report about it, no specifics, just video.
It's assumed it's video taken from Libya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Namarrgon posted:

But it doesn't matter who physically gets rid of Gadaffi. Again I was serious with my question; what does 'actual' or 'real' revolution mean? I'm dead serious; do you think other nations would disregard a new democratic Libyan nation because Gadaffi was captured by foreign troops?

I also didn't mean the US specifically by the way, I just thought it would shorter than to say "any stable military powerful foreign power" and kinda assumed that was obvious. I'd rather it be UN peacekeeping troops or whatever.

And at the most basic; maybe just stopping the carnage? Stop the actual physical violence and then let the rest sort itself out? I'm sure those people in towns outside of Tripoli with mercenaries literally slaughtering anyone in the street would be appalled to except foreign help.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

But it doesn't matter who physically gets rid of Gadaffi. Again I was serious with my question; what does 'actual' or 'real' revolution mean? I'm dead serious; do you think other nations would disregard a new democratic Libyan nation because Gadaffi was captured by foreign troops?

I also didn't mean the US specifically by the way, I just thought it would shorter than to say "any stable military powerful foreign power" and kinda assumed that was obvious. I'd rather it be UN peacekeeping troops or whatever.

YES IT DOES WHY AREN'T YOU UNDERSTANDING ME.

It DOES matter who gets rid of him. If the United States/West swoop in and remove him from power, the entire movement becomes illegitimate and emasculated. EVERY OTHER Arab dictator - who have already been using the "foreign plot" trope in every desperate speech to the people up to this point - will be thrilled to see it actually coming true and it will rally the anti-American sentiment that already exists and extinguish any will these people have to remove them. Other dictators will point and say "look! The Americans just want to remove me so they can continue their colonial push across the world! Support me and be patriotic!"

It's also incredibly condescending. As Egypt has proved, these people do not need Big Brother America World Police to come and solve all the dumb browns' problems.

Let these people empower themselves. This is a critical moment and it the West interferes it's just over, plain and simple.

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 21, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
I wonder if more Muslims (or Muslim media) will direct their anger at Russia and China in the aftermath of this. Muslim anger at the United States and Israel is justified, but completely out of proportion when compared to the oppressive policies and foreign meddling of Russia and China.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Boner Slam posted:

Depends. 12,7mm are huge machine guns, while those anti-air tanks posted earlier have downright shells that also explode, however they shoot as fast as a machine gun.

If you want to use one system that causes the most devastation when fired in a crowd, this is it.

Here is a picture of an older German AA tank like that:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Gepard_1a2_v0-mess.jpg

I think the Libyans have a bunch of the ZSU-23's, four 23mm rapid-fire AA cannons in an enclosed turret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSU-23-4

Using this in a crowd is basically saying you want to murder every man woman and child in that crowd.

[fakeedit] oh christ they may also have 9K22 Tunguska's with 30mm gatling guns. (think the gun on an A-10).

Yeah Gadhafi/his son/whoever's in charge basically just wants to kill everyone at this point.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

From the Guardian
This could be a particularly ominous development however. Libyan airspace has been closed, the Austrian Army is saying.

One of its transport planes, with some 60 European Union citizens onboard, is believed to be stranded in Tripoli at the moment.

"The entire airspace is currently blocked," an Austrian Defence Ministry employee told the German Press Agency dpa.

Someone's going to have to go get those people.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

From the Guardian
This could be a particularly ominous development however. Libyan airspace has been closed, the Austrian Army is saying.

One of its transport planes, with some 60 European Union citizens onboard, is believed to be stranded in Tripoli at the moment.

"The entire airspace is currently blocked," an Austrian Defence Ministry employee told the German Press Agency dpa.
According to Austrian news the airspace being closed isn't a problem yet, due to the boarding being very slow and them waiting for more passengers to arrive anyway.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Gleaned from AJE twitters: Apparently Gaddafi's right hand man is on Al Jazeera Arabic RIGHT NOW trashing Gaddafi. :aaa:

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Uglycat posted:

I didn't say by necessity they would. I pointed out that your assertion - that you have certain knowledge they would not - is unsupported. And it remains so.

If you want to be deliberately dense, go ahead. History supports my assertion.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Just so others are clear since it appears that a few people have gotten them confused; 12.7 (12,7) mm is just .50 BMG, the same round we use in all our vehicle mounted and fixed position machine-guns. Anti-aircraft on the other hand is smaller artillery that explodes at a set barometer reading (altitude detonation) or by impact. Unlike normal artillery though, AA shells don't kill you through the explosion itself, but by the massive amounts of shrapnel they pepper their surroundings with. That is why they're so devastating against aircraft.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Assuming the rumors of Gaddafi fleeing to Venezuela are true, what are the chances of Chavez doing the right thing and handing him to Den Haag for trial?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Intel5 posted:

You are right and wrong at the same time. We wouldn't have to have a full war/invasion to help them. But diplomacy, and economics are not options. Gaddafi knows that he is on the way out, and he is dead set on leaving a pile of bodies as revenge.

Well, we could intervene militarily, but it would have to be small scale, and we would have to be extremely careful about it. We can't just invade the place.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

I didn't say by necessity they would. I pointed out that your assertion - that you have certain knowledge they would not - is unsupported. And it remains so.

Now seems like a good time to push for it.

The "logic" is simple business interest. Libya's got mad bubblin' crude and Egypt's thing is the Suez Canal. Both are very, very important to us. If we were able to, why the hell wouldn't we? What about past precedent set by the CIA or the nation government makes you think it is at all likely that the United States would give these people self-determination?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

roundmidnight posted:

YES IT DOES WHY AREN'T YOU UNDERSTANDING ME.

It DOES matter who gets rid of him. If the United States/West swoop in and remove him from power, the entire movement becomes illegitimate and emasculated. EVERY OTHER Arab dictator - who have already been using the "foreign plot" trope in every desperate speech to the people up to this point - will be thrilled to see it actually coming true and it will rally the anti-American sentiment that already exists and extinguish any will these people have to remove them. Other dictators will point and say "look! The Americans just want to remove me so they can continue their colonial push across the world! Support me and be patriotic!"

It's also incredibly condescending. As Egypt has proved, these people do not need Big Brother America World Police to come and solve all the dumb browns' problems.

Let these people empower themselves. This is a critical moment and it the West interferes it's just over, plain and simple.

I do understand you, but I disagree. People 'empowering' themselves is not worth the slaughter of thousands. We're all humans for fucks sake. Again pointing at the unrealistic optimistic idealism :smith:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know that you could point anti-aircraft guns at targets on the ground. Or can the protesters fly?

AA guns are always dual purpose. Other posters have mentioned the use of heavy (German 88mm and 128mm) flak guns against tanks in WW2, but heavy AA is not used any more as missiles have replaced them. Rapid firing small calibre AA guns however are still very popular, and they are also very effective anti-infantry weapons due to their high rates of fire, especially as mounted versions such as the Soviet ZSU-23/4 Shilka (four barrels of 23mm caliber). With just one second burst, it can fire ~15 exploding shells whoops, I'm stupid, that's just for one barrel. With all four barrels it will fire 60 grenades per second. And it impacts a large area.

When used against demonstrators in a street, it's the same as putting people through a meatgrinder, and I don't understand how anyone would be able to pull the trigger against their own people?!? But I also don't understand how anyone can suicide bomb schools and poo poo, and it still happens. :(

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 21, 2011

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

The King of Swag posted:

Just so others are clear since it appears that a few people have gotten them confused; 12.7 (12,7) mm is just .50 BMG, the same round we use in all our vehicle mounted and fixed position machine-guns. Anti-aircraft on the other hand is smaller artillery that explodes at a set barometer reading (altitude detonation) or by impact. Unlike normal artillery though, AA shells don't kill you through the explosion itself, but by the massive amounts of shrapnel they pepper their surroundings with. That is why they're so devastating against aircraft.

This exactly. If you've ever seen Saving Private Ryan, remember the scene where they're climbing on the tiger to try and take it out, and the germans wheel out this quad-mount gun that turns everyone on the tank into loving hamburger? That was an AA gun. (20mm quad-mount). The stuff the Libyans have now is larger, fires faster, and shreds things more rapidly than that.

The thought of using that on an unarmed loving crowd sickens and enrages me. I realize that yes, we *HAVE* to let them sort this on their own, and we cannot get involved, but, jesus christ.

Nenonen posted:

AA guns are always dual purpose. Other posters have mentioned the use of heavy (German 88mm and 128mm) flak guns against tanks in WW2, but heavy AA is not used any more as missiles have replaced them. Rapid firing small calibre AA guns however are still very popular, and they are also very effective anti-infantry weapons due to their high rates of fire, especially as mounted versions such as the Soviet ZSU-23/4 Shilka (four barrels of 23mm caliber). With just one second burst, it can fire ~15 exploding shells.

When used against demonstrators in a street, it's the same as putting people through a meatgrinder, and I don't understand how anyone would be able to pull the trigger against their own people?!? But I also don't understand how anyone can suicide bomb schools and poo poo, and it still happens. :(

Yep, and as I posted above, apparently they may have the Tsunguska, as well. Twin mount 30mm cannons against an unarmed crowd means you want to murder them. No if's and's or buts.

Doccers fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 21, 2011

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Namarrgon posted:

I do understand you, but I disagree. People 'empowering' themselves is not worth the slaughter of thousands. We're all humans for fucks sake. Again pointing at the unrealistic optimistic idealism :smith:

Yes it is, if it means real and legitimate democracy. Otherwise, you get the same poo poo in 20, 30, 40 years, except in the meantime the other dictators have slaughtered many times the number of people who have died in the past few days.

It's not just about the end result. How it happens is just as important. This is their revolution and they are willing to die for it. Don't let their courage go to waste.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

roundmidnight posted:

stuff

So even just a no fly zone, no troops ever set foot in Libya, only stopping Gaddafi from using the air force against the protesters, will destroy the legitimacy of the revolution?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Gaddafi speech imminent?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's rumours of Gaddafi making a speech at some point soon.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

roundmidnight posted:

EVERY OTHER Arab dictator

I'm sure the actual human beings getting slaughtered in Libya agree with you and volonteer to take one for the team so as not to make the propaganda wars of other countries dictators easier.

I have no idea if Libyans would like the west to make them not die as much or not, but I can not believe that they give a rats rear end about other dictators right now...

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Operation Libyan Freedom. Shock and Awe, motherfucker!!!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I don't see how, with decent intelligence, dropping medical supplies, food, water and weapons to the people would be emasculating, though I do see how some would interpret it as western meddling. If they want international and humanitarian aid, enabling people to perform medical services (whatever they may now be) and defend themselves against the cretins that call themselves the Lybian army, seems like a decent thing to do

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Brown Moses posted:

$20 says it's "You made me murder your families guys, now just go home and we'll forget about this, ok?"

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

BBC just reported this, who knows where they heard it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dr Scoofles posted:

BBC just reported this, who knows where they heard it.
Al-Arabiya reported it first, so BBC ran it.

MJB
Nov 22, 2003

"...by any means necessary."

BonoMan posted:

If I'm correct (and I might not be), but a lot of arabic pronunciations are strictly phonetical interpretations since the alphabets don't exactly transcribe to each other. Thus lots of arabic words have alternate spellings in other languages. Al Queda Al Queda/Al Qaeda...Osama/Usama.

You're right. And as for The Colonel himself, even he's been inconsistent in spelling it when he's occasionally signed things in English.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I don't see how, with decent intelligence, dropping medical supplies, food, water and weapons to the people would be emasculating, though I do see how some would interpret it as western meddling. If they want international and humanitarian aid, enabling people to perform medical services (whatever they may now be) and defend themselves against the cretins that call themselves the Lybian army, seems like a decent thing to do

Because it legitimizes the people supporting Gadhafi who claim that the protests are backed by "the west", and the poo poo cycle will just continue.

Even as much as I want to drop a Hellfire into each and every gun crew firing into a crowd, it's still not our place to intervene, for very good reason.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

roundmidnight posted:

Yes it is, if it means real and legitimate democracy. Otherwise, you get the same poo poo in 20, 30, 40 years, except in the meantime the other dictators have slaughtered many times the number of people who have died in the past few days.

It's not just about the end result. How it happens is just as important. This is their revolution and they are willing to die for it. Don't let their courage go to waste.

Gadaffi being arrested by any other person than a Libyan citizen will directly result in a future dictatorship :confused:? Because that's all that I'm saying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just to confirm, there's no chance that he will volunteer to step down, right?

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Intel5 posted:

So even just a no fly zone, no troops ever set foot in Libya, only stopping Gaddafi from using the air force against the protesters, will destroy the legitimacy of the revolution?

That's a little more iffy but again you're dictating terms to a sovereign state that will just ignore them anyway. They're already firing on civilians, you think that they're going to stop because the UN says so?

Namarrgon posted:

Gadaffi being arrested by any other person than a Libyan citizen will directly result in a future dictatorship :confused:? Because that's all that I'm saying.

Gadaffi being kicked out or arrested by anyone other than Libyans is bad news, yes.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Intel5 posted:

If you are to understand "legitimacy" as a monopoly on power, yes. As much as I want to see Qaddafi and his forces getting their asses kicked, it's very tricky to help out the Libyans without unintentional damage to their movement. At best we'd send the message that they couldn't do it on their own, at worst it would tell the world that their revolution was an illegitimate one; a foreign action.

\/\/\/ I think the TFF catchphrase "gently caress this gay Earth" applies here. :smith:

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Here is one of these anti-air weapons in action.
Imagine this beeing fired at people holy poo poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUeqSseERo&feature=related

gently caress literally everything

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not after the poo poo he's already pulled to stay in power, No. No chance whatsoever.

(I would love to be wrong about this I really would)

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Having watched the facebook video with the human chunks :barf: I also noted that there was an important part that people might have missed in their horror and shell-shocked state:

There were slides of their medications, such as ampicillin. In those slides, all of the medications the docs had to work with expired back in 2008/2009 :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

roundmidnight posted:

It's not just about the end result. How it happens is just as important.

Interventionists also become entangled politically in the whole thing, and find themselves having to support the monster that they've created, even if they agreed the people didn't like it. Eg. there's no chance for an independent Kurdistan for as long as west supports the Iraqi government, just like Hamid Karzai will be the Afghan president for life, or at least for as long as the west cares about Afghanistan. Otherwise it would seem like all the US/NATO/Coalition sacrifices were for nothing.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, not according to him. "I will fight till the last bullet." "I will die on Libyan soil." etc.

Then again, Mubarak said the same thing.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Ahahahahahaha, Ahmadinedschad blames US for uprisings in Tunesia, Egypt and Libya.

MUAHAA THE FRENCH
Jul 31, 2009

you see my friend, we've
both been boiled alive

Samurai Sanders posted:

there's no way in hell. qaddafi is no mubarak. this has gotten much more violently much more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Welp.

If you have a weak stomach or simply don't want to remember images of people blown apart with intestines and viscera strewn around, I suggest not clicking on any of the images or videos just starting to come out of Libya (or that will be coming out in the weeks to come). Seriously, I will save you the trouble and tell you what you are missing: broken, burned bodies missing arms, legs, torsos, heads, etc. I've seen a good amount of footage from Chechnya (and I don't mean that execution video, I'm talking about ambushes and firefights) and that stuff doesn't even come close to this for sheer brutality. This isn't the work of small arms or even heavy machine guns, but of auto-cannons and artillery. Not to say that there is any shortage of images of people with small arms wounds, but you will see the full range of brutality that modern weapons can inflict if you really feel it is worth it to click the links you'll see in the next days.

If the gore in Saving Private Ryan made you sick to your stomach, this will have you puking your guts out for a week. i feel like I should make some upbeat claim that we can take heart in this being an unfortunate step in the right direction, but that's just bullshit. Nothing is worth this carnage. Go Libyans.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 21, 2011

• Locked thread