Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Doccers posted:

France isn't part of NATO IIRC, for example.

France was after WW2, then wasn't after the 60s, then kind of was in the 90s, and then rejoined as a full member in 2009 but only for their conventional forces. All French nukes are solely in French command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

The Brown Menace posted:

drat son.

Also you can just not involve the NATO/the US because there's no justification to do so?

The NATO is mostly a defensive treaty, so unless the US doesn't want to join the EU, there's nothing forcing them to do so.

"Oh don't worry united states you don't have to go to this war" <--- I love my country but yeah telling us this and expecting us to stay out is laughable. :(

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ewan posted:

France are part of NATO.

It's tricky with them, 1967 withdrawal and all, but yes, as of 2009, they are currently part of NATO.

Don't they have the DeGaulle stationed in Toulon?

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
lol at the woman on aljazeera

"they are using 25 caliber machine guns"

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

MJ_Turbo posted:

lol at the woman on aljazeera

"they are using 25 caliber machine guns"

Caliber/MM is a pretty easy thing to gently caress up for reporters, so don't hate on her too much. I've seen plenty of "40mm glocks" in our news.

But yeah 25mm autocannons would be AA guns. :(

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
The sheer desperation in the voice of that women really fucks me up

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Young Freud posted:

It's tricky with them, 1967 withdrawal and all, but yes, as of 2009, they are currently part of NATO.

Don't they have the DeGaulle stationed in Toulon?

Come to think of it, is the DeGaulle currently seaworthy? I know they've had... Problems.. with her in the recent past.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Jamsque posted:

This precise situation, where no one country has the mandate to interfere in the internal affairs of another, but the international community as a whole does, is what the UN Security Council is supposed to be for. Good thing they haven't even met about Libya yet.

Just as these revolutions are happening too fast for organized, coordinated military/police responses (in advance of massive turnout), the revolutions (and chaotic military responses to them) are happening too fast for a bureaucratic international peace-keeping body.

DonBalle
Dec 10, 2004
raaaaaaaaaaar...

Brown Moses posted:

Just saw this on the Guardian:

How come AJ International isn't mentioning this? That's important.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

DonBalle posted:

How come AJ International isn't mentioning this? That's important.

Maybe it's unconfirmed.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Doccers posted:

Come to think of it, is the DeGaulle currently seaworthy? I know they've had... Problems.. with her in the recent past.

Sure, it was in Cuxhaven just recently (Germany)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
"Don't believe what he was saying, eet was very lousy speech"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Doccers posted:

France has a full fleet carrier last time I checked, and they're close enough their fighters have the range to fly missions there from home. Germany too I suspect, though they don't have a carrier they can park offshore. I honestly don't know the status of the Italian air force.
England only has jumpjet carriers and a Harrier is not an air superiority fighter (Hello Falklands!) but they could probably make a deal with one of the closer nations to park their better poo poo closer.

All of the countries in question have air refueling units, so in theory it'd be possible to do bomb runs on Libyan military targets from Scotland if there was a need. For a sustained combat air patrol I don't know how manageable that would be, probably not very. But Sicily is close enough for NATO fighters to operate in the coastal region.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

The-Mole posted:

"Don't believe what he was saying, it was very lousy speech"

That's a great line, although I'm not sure I buy everything the expat is saying on AJE.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

farraday posted:

That's a great line, although I'm not sure I buy everything the expat is saying on AJE.

"OK? OK? OK? OK?" This guy is starting to piss me off. He's been going "OK, OK, OK" for hours now. No wait, that guy in Rome who was mortally afraid of speaking in front of a camera was worse.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Doccers posted:

England only has jumpjet carriers and a Harrier is not an air superiority fighter (Hello Falklands!) but they could probably make a deal with one of the closer nations to park their better poo poo closer.

It's worse than that, we don't have ANY carriers, and the Harrier has been retired.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doccers posted:

France has a full fleet carrier last time I checked, and they're close enough their fighters have the range to fly missions there from home. Germany too I suspect, though they don't have a carrier they can park offshore. I honestly don't know the status of the Italian air force.

But yeah, when it comes to air superiority we're the undisputed king.

well, technically Israel is Extraordinarily good and their F-15's have the legs but.. uh. Yeah. Right.

Egypt's modern air force is as large as Israel's but I guess they lack the experience and knowhow. Still think they could keep Libya's skies clear, and I think their intervention would not be as hated.

They are probably too busy with inner issues now, though. But it would be symbolically nice.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Magic internet box... is the US Senate naming these things now?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

farraday posted:

Magic internet box... is the US Senate naming these things now?

"It's a series of tubes you connect to a phone...."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jut posted:

It's worse than that, we don't have ANY carriers, and the Harrier has been retired.

The land based stuff can make it with refueling. The US would take care of that part even if we "stayed out".

Yeah though, no one is gonna invade Libya.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

DarkCrawler posted:

Egypt's modern air force is as large as Israel's but I guess they lack the experience and knowhow. Still think they could keep Libya's skies clear, and I think their intervention would not be as hated.

They are probably too busy with inner issues now, though. But it would be symbolically nice.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/babylonbeyond/2011/02/libya-egyptian-military-creates-refugee-camps-near-border.html posted:

The Egyptian military has set up refugee camps near its border with Libya, an Egyptian state news agency reported Monday.

Egyptian military officials have also set up two mobile hospitals at the Salum border crossing to assist Egyptians fleeing the protests in Libya, according Egypt's state-run news website EgyNews.

Libyan guards have withdrawn from their side of the border with Egypt after anti-government protests, Egypt's army said on its Facebook page on Monday.

"Members of the Libyan border guard withdrew from (the Libyan side of the border) and it is currently in the control of people's committees," Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces said in its Facebook message.

and they supposedly just opened the border for aid, which is good news b/c the unofficial border crossings are lined with millions of mines, but I'm looking for a non-twitter source.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

The Egyptian air force was in Mubarak's pocket, remember? They're the ones who did the low-altitude flyby of Tahrir Square to harass the protesters.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

The land based stuff can make it with refueling. The US would take care of that part even if we "stayed out".

Yeah though, no one is gonna invade Libya.

All european countries operate tankers, awacs, modern fighters the works. And Italy could probably have eurofighters over there in a pinch without even refuling.

The issue clearly is not the could, but the should

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The Egyptian air force was in Mubarak's pocket, remember? They're the ones who did the low-altitude flyby of Tahrir Square to harass the protesters.

Mubarak is gone though and I think there would be no way for them to reestablish themselves faster with the Egyptian populace then protecting protesters in Libya.

The problem is if that becomes an excuse for reactionary forces, ie Saudia Arabia, to justify interfering with other protests in the gulf states.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

Jut posted:

HMS Illustrious, a light aircraft carrier is still in service (with only helis i think) and two larger Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers are under construction which will carry 40 planes each (including F-35)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

drat I really thought the Libyan uprising was going to go the way of the Iranian one and be brutally crushed. Looks like the might actually pull this out. Wow.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Roark posted:

His Green Book reads like it was written like someone with a few screws loose. It's rambling and incoherent, and the only thing that separates it (for me) from most of the other insane manifestos that you find on the internet was that it was written by a man in charge of a country.

Sounds a bit like a review of "Mein Kampf"

read some more reviews at the site I posted before and they don't reflect the impression I got when I read in it...

Warthog fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 22, 2011

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Wow the AJ anchor couldn't even cut that woman off.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

drat I really thought the Libyan uprising was going to go the way of the Iranian one and be brutally crushed. Looks like the might actually pull this out. Wow.

There is a women on AJE right now crying on air because the people around her are getting shot and bombed to pieces.
This is not over.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xandu posted:

and they supposedly just opened the border for aid, which is good news b/c the unofficial border crossings are lined with millions of mines, but I'm looking for a non-twitter source.

That's nice, at the least. Symbolically good too.

Young Freud posted:

Supposedly they are in the pocket of whoever is heading the preliminary government now..

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Doccers posted:

England only has jumpjet carriers and a Harrier is not an air superiority fighter (Hello Falklands!)

Hello falklands!

"The Sea Harrier squadrons shot down 20 Argentine aircraft in air-to-air combat with no air-to-air losses"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Sea_Harrier#Falklands_War

not that it matters, the carriers are up for scrap as are the harriers.

I strongly doubt any action will be taken to enforce any kind of no fly zone before Gaddafi bugs the gently caress out.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

To be honest this is making the Green Movement look kinda faggy.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Holy poo poo, CNN's Ben Wedeman is inside Libya right now. I wonder how he got in.

http://twitter.com/PeterHambyCNN posted:

.@bencnn reporting from inside Libya right now, only western reporter there.
4 minutes ago via web

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

farraday posted:

Mubarak is gone though and I think there would be no way for them to reestablish themselves faster with the Egyptian populace then protecting protesters in Libya.

The problem is if that becomes an excuse for reactionary forces, ie Saudia Arabia, to justify interfering with other protests in the gulf states.

I really doubt that the new governors in Egypt wants to get involved in a war of any kind but that might just be me.

iSuck
Jul 22, 2005

by T. Mascis
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.stripes.com/news/mullen-defends-plans-to-meet-with-middle-east-leaders-1.135486

quote:

DOHA, Qatar — Adm. Mike Mullen said he held “pretty frank” discussions Monday with Saudi Arabia’s military leaders about the turmoil in Bahrain, defending his plans to meet with officials from regimes across the region this week, amid ongoing pro-democracy protests.

“We have a longstanding relationship with leaders in these countries,” said Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “My relationship is with the leaders of the military, and so it’s very natural to continue to meet with them. That doesn’t mean that we don’t all share concerns about what’s happened and look to the future.

“I think it’s really important that we reaffirm the [U.S.-Saudi] relationship.”
Advertisement

Mullen may visit Bahrain later this week, his spokesman Capt. John Kirby confirmed shortly before landing in Qatar on Monday.

“Everybody in the region is watching what’s happening in Bahrain very closely,” Mullen told reporters aboard his plane.

With the situation calmer there, Mullen said, he is hoping that Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa’s steps to reconcile with protesters — and calling off the military — “would continue to work to resolve [their] grievances and concerns.”

“He’s taken some significant positive steps, from a leadership standpoint,” said Mullen, who confirmed that was part of U.S.-Saudi discussions held in Riyadh on Monday. “What struck me was the violence went away almost immediately. I think it’s reassured all of us.”

Mullen also said that he believes while Shiite Iran continues to “take advantage of every opportunity” to cause instability in the region, the ongoing anti-government protests are born from within.

“From my perspective, that has not been the focus of what was happened in Egypt, what happened in Bahrain or any of these other countries,” he said. “Those are, by and large, internal issues, as opposed to issues fomented by some external force.”

In Riyadh, Mullen met with Lt. Gen. Husein Abdullah Al-Qubail, deputy chief of the Saudi General Staff; the assistant minister in charge of military aviation, Prince Khalid Bin Sultan bin Abdul Aziz Al-Saud; and the commander of the Saudi national guard, Prince Miteb Bin Abdullah. Mullen would not give details of any of those meetings.

A meeting with the Saudi minster for interior security affairs, Prince Mohammed Bin Nayif was canceled because he was attending to floods in the southern city of Jeddah.

“These are friends,” Mullen said of the Saudi military leaders, calling his meetings reassuring.

In Qatar, Mullen will meet his counterpart, Maj. General Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah, before continuing on to the United Arab Emirates. Mullen’s whistlestop tour also includes Djibouti and Kuwait.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xandu posted:

Holy poo poo, CNN's Ben Wedeman is inside Libya right now. I wonder how he got in.
I hope he's well protected.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Xandu posted:

Most likely through the Egyptian border.

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009

Xandu posted:

Oh poo poo. I would NOT trade shoes with him now... But it's good reporters are in.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I guess given that he was in Cairo, but it's not exactly porous even with the border guards deserting.

http://91.214.23.156/cablegate/wire.php?id=09TRIPOLI100&search= posted:

. (SBU) Summary: UN experts, based on consultations with GOL officials and preliminary review of Libyan minefield maps, estimate that there are 16 million landmines in the Ouzou Strip along the Chadian border and along the Libyan-Egyptian border to the east. In addition, unexploded ordinance from World War II is a major problem in and around the eastern city of Tobruk and along the Egyptian border.

I suspect he went in with one of humanitarian convoys. He's a really awesome reporter, actually, fluent arabic and lives in Cairo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Xandu posted:

Well, considering the border to Egypt seems to no longer be staffed, I guess he just wandered in.

• Locked thread