Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yusuf al Qaradawi has officially issued a fatwa calling for the death of Muammar Qaddafi.

He's the head of the world league of islamic scholars, so that means that all of the scholars have issued this fatwa. including libyan imams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Alex Otextin posted:

They did nothing.

Despite the general in charge of the operation screaming bloody murder. "Well the US doesn't want to get involved in Africa after what happened in Somalia so we, the UN, aren't going to do a drat thing."

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009
Do you guys think this is all caused, or maybe helped by the wikileaks cables? I've skipped a page or two here and there and I don't know if it's been covered.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

killing_fields posted:

Do you guys think this is all caused, or maybe helped by the wikileaks cables? I've skipped a page or two here and there and I don't know if it's been covered.

no

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Short answer: No

Long answer: No.

Al-Saqr posted:

Yusuf al Qaradawi has officially issued a fatwa calling for the death of Muammar Qaddafi.

He's the head of the world league of islamic scholars, so that means that all of the scholars have issued this fatwa. including libyan imams.

While extremely significant (you can watch the fire and brimstone interview here in Arabic), that's not quite how it works.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

killing_fields posted:

It's not. It's caused by an angry Arab people rising against decades of mismanagement, abuse, and oppression by tinpot tyrants and western puppet dictators. It is not the Facebook Revolution, it is not Revolution 2.0, it is a people's revolution.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Shut up with the torture fantasies, you juvenile psychos.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

killing_fields posted:

It affected it as much as Obama's freedom speech in Egypt, Bush's speeches of bringing democracy to the middle east, and the fart I let out in the grocery store yesterday.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Giant hi-res panorama of Cairo with Midan Tahrir way in the back. Just click the original size. Pretty cool looking.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefangeens/5466797340/sizes/l/

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Xandu posted:

While extremely significant (you can watch the fire and brimstone interview here in Arabic), that's not quite how it works.

I watched that live on TV last night, I wish there was more efforts subtitle these videos so other goons can see Arabic videos.

I meant more that this was more of a representative nature than actually all of them, it's very significant, also Libyan imams were interviewed and they also support this fatwa.

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009

Xandu posted:

Giant hi-res panorama of Cairo with Midan Tahrir way in the back. Just click the original size. Pretty cool looking.

That's a cool photo(s).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xandu posted:

I can see M1 Abrams tanks. But where the hell is Waldo?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Xandu posted:

That photo is amazing. It looks like it was the day after that big clash with the moobs, because the roof where they were throwing down rocks at protesters is missing a good chunk of rock, and you can see the military throughout the museum grounds. Got to be at least 2+ million people in that photo all up.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Xandu posted:

Thanks, that is awesome.

Anyone know where to find a larger version of this picture from the OP?

edit: Some other good pictures at that guy's Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefangeens/

quadratic fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 22, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I meant more that this was more of a representative nature than actually all of them, it's very significant, also Libyan imams were interviewed and they also support this fatwa.

Ah, I see what you mean. I missed the Libyans being interviewed, but that's not surprising.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Are the 150 bodies of soldiers apparently executed for not following orders the same lot who were burnt to death, or is it another lot?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Live blogs:
BBC
AJE

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

rum sodomy the lash posted:

It's not. It's caused by an angry Arab people rising against decades of mismanagement, abuse, and oppression by tinpot tyrants and western puppet dictators. It is not the Facebook Revolution, it is not Revolution 2.0, it is a people's revolution.

Its pretty absurd to think this would have all turned out the same way without the internet catalyzing things. Im not saying its any less a people's revolution, im saying without the insane amount of mass communication things probably would have been different.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So what do we know about the situation in Libya? I'm guessing:
- Benghazi and much of East Libya is under the control of the protesters.
- Some army units have joined the protesters in the east.
- There's been at least two seperate massacres of soldiers who refused to follow orders.
- Mercenaries are shooting anything that moves in Tripoli.
- The air force has been ordered to bomb protesters and ammo dumps.
- Some pilots have refused orders and flown to other countries.
- poo poo is hosed.

Here's a light hearted look at the wholesale slaughter of civilians:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Guardian Live Blog:

quote:

Libya's leader Moammar Gaddafi appeared briefly on Libyan state TV on Monday evening to deny reports that he had fled the country, as key diplomats continued to disown his regime.

"I want to show that I'm in Tripoli and not in Venezuela. Do not believe the channels belonging to stray dogs," Gaddafi said, reported by the station as speaking outside his house. He was holding an umbrella in the rain and leaning out of a vehicle.

"I wanted to say something to the youths at the Green Square [in Tripoli] and stay up late with them but it started raining. Thank God, it's a good thing," the embattled leader said in a 22-second appearance.

Libyan state TV earlier said military operations were under way against "terrorist nests" and there were predictions of a bloodbath by a desperate regime which feels the end approaching.

Several key Libyan diplomats have disowned Gaddafi's regime for its brutal crackdown on protesters and the country's deputy UN ambassador has called for an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council, that will take place today.

The Libyan ambassador to the United States urged Gaddafi to step down, the ambassador to India resigned as did the ambassador to Bangladesh who protested the killing of family members by government troops.

Almost all Libyan diplomats at the United Nations backed deputy ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi's pleas to Gaddafi to end his 40-year rule and to the international community to intervene.

In other developments:

• The US ordered all non-emergency staff to leave Libya – a sure sign that the crisis is worsening.

• Libya's justice minister announcing he was quitting, as did ambassadors in at least seven countries.

• Benghazi, Libya's second city and the scene of alleged massacres in recent days, was reported to be in the hands of anti-government protesters, but violence continued unabated. Residents were organising vigilante groups to protect themselves and distribute food.

• Information remained fragmentary and confused, with phone lines and the internet intermittently cut and al-Jazeera satellite TV reportedly jammed by Libyan intelligence.

• Qatar condemned the use of military aircraft and machine guns against unarmed protesters and called for an emergency meeting of the Arab League.

• The death toll passed 250 after six days of unrest but this is a conservative estimate. Al-Jazeera quoted medical sources in Tripoli saying 61 people had died in the latest protests there. The International Federation of Human Rights estimated the death toll at 300 to 400.

quote:

The country's ambassador to India has confirmed that former African mercenaries are being used by the Libyan regime to crush protests, prompting some army troops to switch sides to support the opposition.

Ali al-Essawi, who resigned in the wake of the crackdown, said: "They are from Africa, and speak French and other languages." He added that he was receiving information from sources within the country.

Essawi added: "They (troops) are Libyans and they cannot see foreigners killing Libyans so they moved beside the people... Libyans cannot do anything against the air fighters. We do not call for international troops, but we call on the international community to save the Libyans."

Earlier Essawi told Reuters said he expected more diplomats at foreign missions to resign due to the ongoing violence.

"Fighter aircraft were bombing civilians on the streets of Tripoli, this is unprecedented violence," Essawi said.

The UN Security Council is to hold a meeting behind closed-doors today to discuss the crisis in Libya.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

sweeptheleg posted:

Its pretty absurd to think this would have all turned out the same way without the internet catalyzing things. Im not saying its any less a people's revolution, im saying without the insane amount of mass communication things probably would have been different.

It's like saying that the french revolution would have never happened without the coffee houses and the Iranian revolution without Cassettes, at the end of the day the tools are useful for spreading the news and they have had a good impact but without the awful conditions that existed earlier the revolutions would have never gained traction.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If anyone complains about the rising cost of petrol over the next few months just point them towards massacre.wmv.

Istrian
Dec 23, 2006

Et, ou tu vas exactement?
god bless the brave american president responsible for the total dismantling ot Ghadaffi's chemical wmd program, thus saving countless civilian lives from the mad dictator :patriot:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Istrian posted:

god bless the brave american president responsible for the total dismantling ot Ghadaffi's chemical wmd program, thus saving countless civilian lives from the mad dictator :patriot:

Ronald Reagan would have enforced a no-fly zone

so he could bomb the poo poo out of everything

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Estimates are between 59 and 517 dead in the first eight days with up to 4,000 wounded. I sadly think it'll end up being closer to the 517 mark.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's pretty hard to get accurate figures because people were being shot in the street and the bodies couldn't be recovered because the mercenaries were shooting anyone they could see.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Yaos posted:

You're assuming that everything would have happened the same way over the last decade had those wars not taken place. You can't look at past events, remove them, but still have all the effects they caused take place. We have no way of knowing what would have occurred if those wars had not taken place. Everything could have happened exactly the same, minus the wars, or it could be completely different. The only way to stop the wars would be to have Gore be president, and we have no way of knowing how he would have helped or impeded the causes of the protests. The US would probably have a republican president right now had the economic crisis occurred while Gore was president, and we have no way of knowing what stupid poo poo they would have done to "help" the protesters.

BlackJosh posted:

I'm glad someone made this point so I didn't have to. Positing any counterfactual as some sort of cautionary tale is really bad history.
So you have an argument that comes from assuming the worst of alternate history, that can be used to defend anything and anyone in history. That you have managed to convinced anyone of such ridiculous bullshit is Glenn Beck level brilliant.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Guardian has some information about the situation in Libya:

quote:

Tripoli: Centre of town is completely blocked by the regime in anticipation of foreign media arrival (most likely CNN). The regime aims to prove that there are no issues on the ground and to falsify the massacres and genocide of the past five days and nights.

Tarhouna: Military (the 7th and 9th Brigade) have joined the people and denounced the regime. Kindly note, this is the same Military facility which lead the Qaddafi revolution to over throw King Idris in 1969.

Zintan: Still in desperate need of medical supplies.

Tripoli & Benghazi: Both cities are alarmingly quite. Not a sound to be heard.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Syphilicious! posted:

What the hell else motivations are going to prompt intervention? 9/11 wasn't even enough to get full support for the invasion of Iraq, public perception of that war was comparatively negative. What could possibly make the U.S. think it should get involved besides the same old motivations that have always driven its actions?

Err probably because 9/11 had nothing to do with Iraq, and people are not totally stupid.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

mercenaries

So far there's no positive proof of mercenaries. I was just listening to BBC and a Libyan caller was claiming that there are 'white men who are maybe East Europeans' shooting at people, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions based just on that.

Looking at photos of the Libyan Mirage F1 fighters that landend in Malta, I was wondering if anyone here can confirm what the pods under the wings are? I think they might be Matra rocket pods, each containing 18 68mm SNEB rockets. But I'm not an expert. If true, and they were ordered to strafe crowds in the streets, you can only imagine what the result would be like. :psyboom:

Rockets also would go poorly with the Gaddafi Jr's claim that the airforce had only been used to bomb army depots to prevent weapons from falling into terrorist hands. Light rockets don't do poo poo to munitions sheltered inside (likely reinforced) buildings.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

The-Mole posted:

Edit: why the gently caress is his finger on the trigger?

Because he's an actor being paid to pose for this shot. It's from a series of advertisements for a newspaper.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

According to AJA adverts have appeared in Guinea and Nigeria offering would-be mercenaries up to US $2000 dollars per day. There's also the video of a dead black soldier being dragged around which was claimed to be a mercenary, as well as claims that papers taken from dead mercenaries show they are foreign citizens.

Also this picture was apparently taken in Tripoli yesterday:

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Mercrom posted:

So you have an argument that comes from assuming the worst of alternate history, that can be used to defend anything and anyone in history. That you have managed to convinced anyone of such ridiculous bullshit is Glenn Beck level brilliant.

Don't really follow how you reached that conclusion. No-one's defending Iraq, they're just pointing out that if Iraq hadn't happened we would be living in a very different world now, and that there's not really any way to tell what that world would be like. I'm assuming BlackJosh used the term 'bad history' to mean that it's bad academic practice to speculate about what might or might not have happened if X event hadn't occurred as there's too many unforeseeable variables. It's not at all 'ridiculous bullshit'.

I hear the UN security council are having 'informal discussions'/'a closed door meeting' (depending on which source you take). Hopefully something good will come of this.

Owlkill fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 22, 2011

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

According to AJA adverts have appeared in Guinea and Nigeria offering would-be mercenaries up to US $2000 dollars per day. There's also the video of a dead black soldier being dragged around which was claimed to be a mercenary, as well as claims that papers taken from dead mercenaries show they are foreign citizens.

I wouldn't really call it 'claims'. You can see for yourself the Guinean paperwork and ID's they pull out of the pockets of the mercenaries on the videos.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

I have seen them, but I don't think black skin is solid proof yet as there are minorities in Libya too (and there are white gunmen in that photo too). I'm not sure just how many black people though, ignoring the immigrants on their way to Europe. But you would always use soldiers recruited from other areas, preferably from different tribes, to shoot at Tripolians, because recruits from the northern cities would be likely to fraternise with them.

Evidence of actual Libyan recruit efforts in other countries would be very clear proof, though.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

quote:

Tarhouna: Military (the 7th and 9th Brigade) have joined the people and denounced the regime. Kindly note, this is the same Military facility which lead the Qaddafi revolution to over throw King Idris in 1969.

I've been unable to find anything that identifies what type of units those are, but if they are purely infantry, then could be between 1500-6400 men as an estimate, which would be between 3-12% of the army right there, if we assumed 100% defections among those units, and 100% loyalists in other units. Hopefully they are armored brigades though, those would have a lot more firepower at hand.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Wow...

quote:

One statement attributed to Qadhafi in reaction to the protests is that he created Libya and he will destroy it.

Megalomaniac sack of poo poo, a country is not your personal plaything.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Owlkill posted:

Don't really follow how you reached that conclusion. No-one's defending Iraq, they're just pointing out that if Iraq hadn't happened we would be living in a very different world now, and that there's not really any way to tell what that world would be like. I'm assuming BlackJosh used the term 'bad history' to mean that it's bad academic practice to speculate about what might or might not have happened if X event hadn't occurred as there's too many unforeseeable variables. It's not at all 'ridiculous bullshit'.

Yeah. Thanks. This worded it better than I did.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Brown Moses posted:

According to AJA adverts have appeared in Guinea and Nigeria offering would-be mercenaries up to US $2000 dollars per day.
According to rumors, Ghanians in the capital are now being offered $2500/day. If it's true, Ghanian mercs are showing good business savvy. Wait until the regime's really desperate and then bill them for overtime :arghfist::jihad:

I don't remember seeing this earlier in the thread, but after all of the horrifying videos of late, this one felt almost like a comedic intermission:
Moroccan Police Van Tries to Run Over Protester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
Good news: My friend is still alive.

Depressing news: His sister has stuck this outside her bedroom door

quote:

I was born in 1997 I lived until today please don’t kill me.

• Locked thread