Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

Jamsque posted:

Three million died in Baghdad? Listen I am no fan of the war on terror but I think your numbers are a bit off there CQ.

Is anyone running a clock on this? He's been going for at least a quarter of an hour now.

He's pushing 40 minutes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moratorium
Dec 4, 2009

ShortStack posted:

UN speech was 96 minutes. Have a seat.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Wasn't his speech to the UN incredibly long?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I hope a complete transcript of this 'speech' shows up soon. poo poo's nuts, but the AJE livefeed keeps cutting out on me.

e: I feel real sorry for the poor interpreter. I don't speak any Dirty Foreigner, but I swear Gaddafi's slurring his speech worse than a sailor in Kolkota.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
That statue is cool. Any one got a google long/lat on it yet?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

They interrupt the speech with interviews occasionally, but the translator's a lot better.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

ShortStack posted:

I must have missed more of the start than I though, holy crap.

He keeps talking about committees of the youth but the translator doesn't seem to be able to make sense of it. Something about wearing green arm bands?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That translator just gave a big sigh before translating the last bit.

And his UN speech was 90 minutes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"and now, secondly"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Brown Menace posted:

He's going to break Strom Thurmond's record, this is going to be his magnum opus, a 24+ hour long speech about his bum being on the Swedish.

Gaddafi is infamous for torturing people with lengthy speeches that jump from one conspiracy theory to another.

quote:

Muammar Gaddafi threw the UN general assembly into chaos today when he effectively hijacked the podium to make a rambling, unscripted speech.

The Libyan leader had been scheduled to speak for 15 minutes but spoke for over an hour and a half, in a wide-ranging, passionate address which took in the UN security council, the assassination of US president John F Kennedy, Somali piracy and a theory that swine flu was created for military purposes.

Gaddafi took to the rostrum at 4pm, prompting several UN delegates to leave the hall. When they tentatively returned 30 minutes later, expecting the Libyan to have finished, he was only a third of the way into his speech.

Gaddafi, who frequently broke off to pore over pages of notes, said the security council should be called "the terror council", saying: "We cannot have the security council under countries which have nuclear powers. This is terrorism itself."

The Libyan leader, who arrived in New York yesterday, also called for a permanent seat on the security council for the African Union - prompting applause from a handful of African states - and invited anyone who disagreed with him to an impromptu debate on the general assembly floor.

An hour into his speech, Gaddafi complained at some length about being jet-lagged from the 10-hour flight to New York, and having to get up early for the general assembly. Dressed in long brown robes and wearing a black hat, Libya's leader gesticulated with his speech papers - revealing his notes to be handwritten, at a variety of angles and in various colours, on pieces of paper torn from a notebook.

He eventually left the floor at 5.33pm, having promoted his website, Gaddafi Speaks.

Gordon Brown had been due to speak at the end of the morning session, but it is not clear if that will still happen.

Despite the mind-numbing length of his speech Gaddafi failed to break the all time record set by Cuban leader Fidel Castro in 1960, at four and a half hours.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Back in the history thread I read this post about a guy who tried to cheat on a sailing-trip-around-the-world and went insane trying to write a time-space continuum theory that would explain how he managed to beat world records in sailing.

It ended with something like: IT IS FINISHED / IT IS FINISHED / IT IS THE MERCY!

This is kind of like a real-time version of that.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
"Video Alarm Detected"

Moratorium
Dec 4, 2009
That's what this speech is missing. He hasn't promoted his web site yet.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

There are also similarities with certain threads in TCC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CNN just cut him off! "40 minutes and counting or so ... went off on a bizarre tangent"

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
He's making Saif sound reasonable by comparison.

Poor AJE translator has sighed loudly about 3 times in the last few minutes.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Al Jazeera on twitter with the :iceburn:

AJELive
#Gaddafi talks about Falluja, Tiananmen Square, al-Qaeda, Somalia, Israel.... Watch his speech live http://aje.me/ajelive

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
"I don't have money, I don't have a palace"

Yes you do you lying scumbag, you have a vast fortune and SEVERAL palaces.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

But he lives in a tent :) . Yeah he's insane.

Swoon
Jun 14, 2008
Anyone else getting flashes of that video-taped speech in True Lies where the batteries start to run out?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
BBC anchors are having a hard time not laughing inappropriately.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Is he talking about the DC sniper right now? What the hell?

Priapist
Aug 10, 2002

Heeeere's Herbie!
This guy was just a minute or two away from not existing in 1986. Thanks, whoever warned him! (Craxi)

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
In actual news, the BBC is reporting that the UK is working on sending a ship and a plane to get British citizens out of Libya.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

The Eye of the Storm.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Xandu posted:

But he lives in a tent :) . Yeah he's insane.

Hey man just because I camp in my backyard dont mean I'm homeless

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok BBC translator is much better than the AJ one, still completely rambling.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
I think he just tried to inspire the people with the John Allen Muhammad story :psyduck:

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
"You wackos, I didn't set fire to a police station!" - Muammar Gaddafi 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hah, he returned to Boris Yeltsin and the Davidian Sect now.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

"Oh crap, I lost my place, let me start at the beginning again." Didn't he already mention fallujah?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
He's now talking about the LA riots.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What the hell is this speech even about?!

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I had to nip out for a bit, he's still going?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:ironicat: "Nobody can allow their country to become an international laughing stock in the hands of a crazy person"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

What the hell is this speech even about?!

Confusing the opposition.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I fondly remember when we obliterated the blacks in California. We couldn't let that happen!

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
I'm just waiting for him to segue into how JFK was kidnapped in 1993 by gay Saucermen from beyond Negative-Pluto in an attempt to steal his identity so they could use counterfeit commerative plates to steal Libya's bountiful harvest of astral bear cheese.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Waco? Seriously? You're going to talk about Waco WHAT THE gently caress IS HE EVEN SAYING I HAVEN'T HEARD ANY SEMBLANCE OF COHERENCY IN 20 MINUTES AND ITS MAKING ME FEEL INSANE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Someone should make a :catdrugs: with CQ's head. Because this is full on crazy mode.

• Locked thread