Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Everything I've seen says step one is remove the knob so you can remove the center console and thus remove the part of the dash around the head unit and heater/AC controls. What I was asking was whether or not it was possible to do without completely removing the center console(since it's stuck with the shift knob), apparently it is possible.

I don't know if there was a CD CHANGER option, but mine definitely has a defunct CD PLAYER.

So it's this? http://www.miata.net/faq/mfield_files/image020.jpg

Looks like your boned for getting it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm buying my Miata today. Drove it yesterday, I'm happy. It's a 90. It's affordable.

What's this NA, NB and NC stuff? How can I tell the difference?

Edit, google is my friend.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 20, 2011

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hope this isnt a dumb suggestion, but are you sure the knib is glued on? My girl has a 2003 NB with that same shifter, and i think there is a hidden screw on it you need to remove before taking it off... Not glue.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So this at guy my work wants to outright trade his '01 Miata 1.8 with 140,000 miles on it for my '98 Integra LS 2Door with 85,000 (possibly rolled back by previous owner).

Some issues include: his car is a bit riced out, something like new exhaust, intake, I'm not sure. He says it needs a new oxygen sensor and "the air condition make a squeak for a bit when it kicks in" also he wants to keep his ugly aftermarket wheels so I would be driving around with Acura wheels on it for awhile. I gave it a look-over before I left today and all the body panels line up flush, the paint matches on all of them. the front badge is missing he says he hit a dear but only that broke. Paint job is in great condition (though I sort of hate silver) couldn't find any dents. it has HID headlights installed. Also he's 20, so I'm assuming it was driven like something owned by a 20 year old.

My car has a trunk leak, I ended up fixing it by drilling drain holes in the bottom of the trunk. leaks oil a bit, muffler has a hole in the welding which causes it to whistle. paint is faded fairly badly, has some dents including one about 7 inches wide, and the power locks are sort of odd, like locking the car if you try to unlock with the driver side door open. it's also been very reliable in the 2 years that I've owned it, it's fun as hell to drive, has a moon-roof etc etc I love my car. That said, I've always wanted a Miata, ever since I was a kid, so this opportunity seems promising. what do you guys think? Think of any reasons not to go through with this?

That sounds like an amazing deal. Assuming he hasn't messed with the engine directly or suspension. The intake probably won't hurt anything and I bet you'd be able to trade the rice exhaust for stock with some other young kid. Make sure you check the top and back window. You probably won't see any of the rust that the NA's have to deal with, but is probably good to check around the rocker panels. I'd go for it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

~FIN

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

This is being delivered to my house on Friday. '99 garage kept miata with 118000 miles. $4500,

http://imgur.com/a/uOLk3#k0IiE

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

This is being delivered to my house on Friday. '99 garage kept miata with 118000 miles. $4500,

http://imgur.com/a/uOLk3#k0IiE
Not bad, has 2001+ seats too instead of the lovely 99-00 washboards.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It's been like a hundred years, but a while back I asked what I should do about changing the head unit in my 95M and someone recommended Crutchfield.

Earlier today I was able to not only call and talk immediately to a real-live american person(the call centoer I deal with at work is all people who speak english as a second/third language the it creates a pretty difficult barrier sometimes), but I was able to get a head unit with aux in, a USB in(iPod and also USB .mp3) for $99.99(I had set a budget of $100), and got the dash kit, wiring harness and some other little wire thing I apparently need all for free. The guy was also super helpful and the whole process took about ten minutes.

With free shipping it will all arrive thursday, which is my next day off.

As an aside, it is completely possible to remove the center console while the shift knob is still attached, and in finding out I also found out that the rubber shift boot is torn out. Does anyone have that parts list for just redoing the whole turret? I'm going to solve all of my problems at once by just removi9ng the entire shift level assembly so I can wrench the stuck knob off and if I destroy it just replacing the entire assembly.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Any Mazdaspeed Miata owners here ? I am in the market for a car now and there is one at a dealer near me. 2004 with 28k for 13,980. I have never seen one in the wild, and that price doesn't seem too bad. I read they are really generous with the turbo though, but there are mods to smooth the power out when it kicks in. I want to have some fun, but I don't want to kill myself with it either. Is that a real thing or people just being too nitpicky ?

Trying to decide between that, a mariner blue 90 with 74k miles for 5k, or an RX-8 we have at work. Both of them are going to need a roll bar, but the NA will likely need the timing belt changed and some other stuff too. Even after that it would still be cheapest though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is what I had to say about the Mazdaspeed Miata last year (and late 2009):

Phone posted:

The fuel cutoff is at 6500rpm instead of 7000rpm, and the boost kicks in at 4000; there's only 2.5k of "go fast" in the car. The IC is the size of a navel orange, so there's massive heat soak issues. Apparently the head in the US MSMs have softer valve springs than the Japanese one (6.5k vs 7k). And in order to fix heat soak issues and to be able to be in boost for more than 1 second at 4k, you basically need to rip out and replace of the turbo parts.

What do you want to do with this car? Do you want something that's fast and that you can do autocross with? Are you just looking for a nice around-town car that you can impress dates with when you get into the little boost that's available?

I'm going to make the same recommendation and suggest you look for an early NC instead. Like 4 less horsepower, but much more comfortable to drive.

e: Looking locally, first page on CL shows me a decent amount of NCs with less than 45k on the clock and under $15k.
e2: VVV - Not true, they both handle like a dream and are severely underpowered

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 21, 2011

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

The 90 sounds overpriced unless its absolutely mint. The rx8 vs mazdaspeed is pretty difficult, they are very different vehicles. You may be able to find a nice NC in that price range too.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The Mazdaspeed is a good car. All the small things add up, like the like body kit, seats, engine stuff, spoiler, pedals, mirror, Bilsteins and frame stiffening stuff. There are plenty of valid complaints about it, but Mazda has not made another better Miata since. Plus you get the rarity of a special edition car.

You can buy a lot of off-the-shelf and inexpensive parts to rectify most of the problems with it, anyway.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

This is what I had to say about the Mazdaspeed Miata last year (and late 2009):

Couldn't agree with you more. I just test drove a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata on saturday and absolutely loved the car in every way except for the power delivery. You're spot on when you say the car feels like it only has 2500rpm of "go fast". The 6-speed that they used in the Mazdaspeed Miata, however, was the best feeling gearbox I've ever used. It almost made me forget about the power delivery. The suspension also felt a lot better, even though it was stiffer, it soaked up the bumps more smoothly than my 2000 LS Miata did. The power delivery/torque curve just sucks though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

revmoo posted:

You can buy a lot of off-the-shelf and inexpensive parts to rectify most of the problems with it, anyway.

To rectify the comically small turbo issue, you're looking at about $3-4k in parts. :v:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Okay: Getting frustrated now. My '92 doesn't shift too well and I'm almost certain it's due to clutch drag (you can notice a small drop in revs when its in gear with the clutch in). I have a new slave cylinder, new master cylinder, whole system is bled, I even adjusted the pedal to engage way further out so I could push the clutch in 'further'. Same problem.

:argh:

Any ideas?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

beatdown posted:

The 90 sounds overpriced unless its absolutely mint. The rx8 vs mazdaspeed is pretty difficult, they are very different vehicles. You may be able to find a nice NC in that price range too.

Generally speaking, how much is it worth ?

Also I think they sold the RX-8 over the weekend too, oh well

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Couldn't agree with you more. I just test drove a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata on saturday and absolutely loved the car in every way except for the power delivery. You're spot on when you say the car feels like it only has 2500rpm of "go fast". The 6-speed that they used in the Mazdaspeed Miata, however, was the best feeling gearbox I've ever used. It almost made me forget about the power delivery. The suspension also felt a lot better, even though it was stiffer, it soaked up the bumps more smoothly than my 2000 LS Miata did. The power delivery/torque curve just sucks though.

Yeah, it really is a fun car to drive, and it comes in some of Mazda's best colors ever to boot (Velocity Red, mmmm).

The flip side is that if you want a turbo NB, you could pretty easily pick up a regular / early NB for $4-5k and spend the remaining budget on one hell of an overall package that would utterly shame the MSM.

Packet Loss
Feb 12, 2004
PM me for SA Mart drama.

Nodoze posted:

Any Mazdaspeed Miata owners here ? I am in the market for a car now and there is one at a dealer near me. 2004 with 28k for 13,980. I have never seen one in the wild, and that price doesn't seem too bad. I read they are really generous with the turbo though, but there are mods to smooth the power out when it kicks in. I want to have some fun, but I don't want to kill myself with it either. Is that a real thing or people just being too nitpicky ?

Trying to decide between that, a mariner blue 90 with 74k miles for 5k, or an RX-8 we have at work. Both of them are going to need a roll bar, but the NA will likely need the timing belt changed and some other stuff too. Even after that it would still be cheapest though.

I actually JUST bought a 2004 with 14k miles on it a few months ago.

Overall, I'm totally in love with the car. It's so much faster than a normal Miata, it corners better (keep in mind while I'm not an auto expert I've owned 2 prior to this, a 1990 with standard trim and a 2000 LS). It looks better, sounds better, and overall brings lots of smiles. With that said..

The shifting is too short in the lower gears. The first couple of weeks I had it I constantly hit the rev limiter in first because the gearing is way to short. It's a little annoying on a daily drive (this is my second car though, my primary is an Xterra) The gearing can be changed, however.

What everyone says about the power delivery is accurate, you don't really see it until later on in the RPM range. Mine hits it a lot sooner though as I have the FM intake upgrade, FM exhaust and cat.. the power delivery is much smoother and honestly the car is noticeably faster. Mine came with the older intake kit though that has the VTA BOV, which I may replace with their new BOV. It also has a hard dog rollbar, FM intercooler (which I added) and they shortened the shift a little (sometimes it doesn't want to go into reverse and the reverse lights never come on.... I actually don't like this modification at all and if I can figure out how to reverse it I will).

Overall I am very pleased with the car. I think the only downside is that it's much easier to get in trouble with this car than a standard Miata.

Edit: the tip on the FM exhaust is 3"... which is dangerously close to looking like a fart can :( funny thing is the piping is only 2.5"

Old car (2000LS): http://www.nerocom.us/temp/car/car1.jpg
New Car (2004MSM): http://www.nerocom.us/temp/car/miata2.jpg (pre FM Exhaust)

Packet Loss fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 22, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wouldn't the turbo only kicking in at higher RPM be better for gas mileage or is that largely irrelevant because it gets good gas mileage anyway

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Nodoze posted:

Wouldn't the turbo only kicking in at higher RPM be better for gas mileage or is that largely irrelevant because it gets good gas mileage anyway

Miata getting good gas mileage :roflolmao:

Packet Loss
Feb 12, 2004
PM me for SA Mart drama.

Nodoze posted:

I don't get that great of gas mileage on the Mazdaspeed. If I'm on the highway, it's about on par with every other Miata I own, but in town, it sucks pretty bad, but that's also because I like the boost.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nodoze posted:

or is that largely irrelevant because it gets good gas mileage anyway

:lol: I get such bad gas mileage in my NA. Not SUV bad, but not nearly as good as you would think such a small car should get. Usually low-mid 20s in mixed driving. Can sometimes get high 20s on long interstate trips doing 75-80 with the top up.

I might drive a bit more aggressively than average, but the car is geared to feel best when cruising around 3k RPMs give or take, accelerating practically demands wringing it out to past 5k RPMs to get the best shift points within the measly power band, and the car has the aerodynamics of a brick, especially with the top down. It's not as high-strung as something like an S2000, but it definitely requires some deliberate use of the gas pedal if you don't want to be lugging and chugging around town and getting passed by minivans all the time.

And that's what makes it so goddamn fun.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 22, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

Miata getting good gas mileage :roflolmao:

My mother in law is driving my NB until I get time to do the master cylinder on her '98 V6 Camry. She's madly in love with it now because it gets so much better mileage.

I think the Camry has the original spark plugs still. :v:

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Generally speaking, how much is it worth ?
Without any issues, in the midwest where I'm at, probably 3-3.5k tops for a 90. You have to look, but you'll find a better deal than that.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

beatdown posted:

Without any issues, in the midwest where I'm at, probably 3-3.5k tops for a 90. You have to look, but you'll find a better deal than that.
I paid $4500 for a two-owner 1990 with 69k miles and a hardtop, so that sounds about right.

I'm also about to pay $3700 for a 2002 with 47k miles, so figure that :v:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Isn't 140,000 kind of high though? I can deal with the o2 sensor but with my lovely job I can't really afford for the car to start loving up on me. what kinds of things are scheduled to break on a 140,000 mile '01 Miata? let's pretend the previous owner only ever changed the oil.

PS I am not great with cars.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 23, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't trade cars. I don't loving get this bullshit about "trading cars", it screams scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam from the rooftops.

The personal best I've gotten out of the Miata was 34mpg going 80mph on the freeway. The stipulation was that I had found a gas station that sells 100% gasoline (no ethanol).

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Phone posted:

The personal best I've gotten out of the Miata was 34mpg going 80mph on the freeway. The stipulation was that I had found a gas station that sells 100% gasoline (no ethanol).

Sounds believable. I haven't figured it out, but it seems my Miata is affected more by ethanol blends than any other car I've owned.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
code:
Litres	    Distance	L/100Km	MPG	% City	Kms per day	MPG UK
20.482lt     304km	6.75	34.87	0	1,010.60km	41.87
Best I've ever gotten on 100% highway.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Soft top care tips for the winter? I don't have a garage, and while I'll probably get a hardtop is it possible to run the soft top in winter?

I'm in Virginia so its cold as poo poo in the winter and hot as gently caress in the summer. I'm guessing I'd need to cover the car every night to keep ice from breaking the cloth.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Phone posted:

Don't trade cars. I don't loving get this bullshit about "trading cars", it screams scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam from the rooftops.

I haven't found gas without ethanol in years around here. Everything about it is so stupid.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I typically get between 30-32 MPG in my NA of mostly country/town driving, though that's all warm weather driving.

WHERE ARE YOU WARM WEATHER, YOU WHORE?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Soft top care tips for the winter? I don't have a garage, and while I'll probably get a hardtop is it possible to run the soft top in winter?

I'm in Virginia so its cold as poo poo in the winter and hot as gently caress in the summer. I'm guessing I'd need to cover the car every night to keep ice from breaking the cloth.

If you have the original vinyl top, it'll do fine. I've let mine sit under snow that melted and refroze into ice, and the vinyl is watertight enough that nothing seeps into it. Once it's ice, you can put your hand under the top and tent the ice up and then push it all off in one go.

Just don't put it down and risk cracking it, of course.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Just don't put it down and risk cracking it, of course.

Yeah, the vinyl itself on any of the OEM or high quality aftermarket tops (e.g., Robbins) will survive the cold, snow, and ice just fine as long as you don't attempt to flex it to any significant degree.

If your top has a plastic window, be EXCEPTIONALLY careful when it is cold out. If you whack it hard enough, it will crack very easily. A glass-windowed top, on the other hand, will be pretty much worry-free.

And somewhat relatedly, speaking of tops, for any of you NA/NB guys that haven't upgraded to a glass-windowed top, it's the best decision I ever made for my NA, especially since I don't have a hardtop.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

In in NoVA and use this to cover my NC pretty much every day. I've had it a bit over a year, and it's starting to rip and will need replacing soon, but at $40 I can't really complain. The fit is a little tight, but it stows nicely in the truck.

Or, a similar product for other generations.

Packet Loss
Feb 12, 2004
PM me for SA Mart drama.

This is what I did - covered the car every night. It's a pain, but better than ruining the top.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Guinness posted:

And somewhat relatedly, speaking of tops, for any of you NA/NB guys that haven't upgraded to a glass-windowed top, it's the best decision I ever made for my NA, especially since I don't have a hardtop.

NBs come with glass :smug:

The manual says, if I remember correctly, not to raise or lower the top in temperatures under either 45 degrees or 50 degrees.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Shows what I know about NBs. I thought the 99/00 NBs still had plastic.

God I hate plastic windows so much.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Guinness posted:

God I hate plastic windows so much.

While I hate that mine is cracked and discolored, I love the fact that I can unzip the plastic window and have awesome airflow without going completely topless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The manual says, if I remember correctly, not to raise or lower the top in temperatures under either 45 degrees or 50 degrees.

I put mine down basically any day it's not raining/snowing, I'll report on when it fails.