Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Jut posted:

If the revolt is successful. I really think CQ's not going anywhere, and if he's forced out, he's going to scorch earth. I hope I'm wrong.

I can easily see him staying, while protesters wall him up inside his own house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
He seems like the kind of person who would actually go down with a weapon in his hand Scarface style. Let's hope it's not the case.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Libyan naval vessel near Malta wants to defect.

It probably doesn't have anything worthwhile armaments like cruise missiles on it, because it would likely be pulling a Potemkin on Gadaffi right now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Verizian posted:

I can easily see him staying, while protesters wall him up inside his own house.

I'm not sure if he is going to go the way of Mussolini and just wait for the crowd to break in and lynch him. I think if anything he will eventually try to flee. Considering his love of grandstanding I can imagine him going to face the UN, spouting his innocence in the face of the ICJ and going on crazy tirades up to the very end.

Just my thoughts on it. I think he would be too much of a coward to let his fate be held by the people he pissed off, and much to proud to whisk himself away and live the rest of his life as a guest in some other dictator's county.

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Libyan naval vessel near Malta wants to defect.

I don't understand why they don't turn the guns around and fight for the people rather than run to Malta, the Army has.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Anyoe have the text of the speech Gadhaffi just gave?

Edit: Way to go Danny!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/22/AR2011022203086.html

quote:

MANAGUA, Nicaragua -- Nicaragua's leftist President Daniel Ortega says he has telephoned Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi to express his solidarity.

Ortega says he has called several times this week because Gadhafi "is again waging a great battle" to defend the unity of his nation.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 22, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Nckdictator posted:

Anyoe have the text of the speech Gadhaffi just gave?

I tried to El Goog for a transcript in any language but I'm just not getting anything.

Also, in case no one knows, this is the current updated Live Blog for today, new link:
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/africa/2011/02/22/live-blog-libya-feb-22

Only mentioned once on the old page.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

I don't understand why they don't turn the guns around and fight for the people rather than run to Malta, the Army has.
A single ship (probably not even a proper capital ship, more likely a gunboat or something) isn't going to do much more to a inland dictator in a desert than get torpedoed by a jet and sink with all hands aboard.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
MS/NBC's Richard Engel is actually in Libya reporting now. Hope he stays safe.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Has anyone put out a transcript of Ghadaffi's latest speech?

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Did Clinton just start praising the way Bahrain has handled their protests or did I misshear the news (BBC) cut away as she started talking so I'm not 100% sure.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
You know, screw winning jeopardy, if someone could just get a loving transcription program that worked well we'd be doing great. I'm tired of trawling through video archives for stupid poo poo people have said.

Sorry.

Anyways, I wouldn't be too hard on those who defect rather than take up arms to fight the regime. Removing hardware from the regime's control is a victory in and of itself.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

farraday posted:

Anyways, I wouldn't be too hard on those who defect rather than take up arms to fight the regime. Removing hardware from the regime's control is a victory in and of itself.

Correct. We've seen what pro-Qadaffi soldiers do to defectors. I'd rather they get out with the gear and spread the word of what is happening than die a pointless and painful death in a ditch.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Did Clinton just start praising the way Bahrain has handled their protests or did I misshear the news (BBC) cut away as she started talking so I'm not 100% sure.

She was praising King Hamad ceasing shooting people in the streets and King Hamad's promise to release several hundred political prisoners.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Patter Song posted:

She was praising King Hamad ceasing shooting people in the streets and King Hamad's promise to release several hundred political prisoners.

Christ I'm surprised the hypocrisy of that didn't make her fucken head spin.
I'm at work at the moment but I'm gonna have to watch the whole statement later so I can enrage myself.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 22, 2011

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
From Twitter, 2 new resignations/defections:
- Minister of Defense General Abdalfatah Yunus La'bidi - resigned and asks all of the military to join the people
- Minister of Interior Abdulla Younis - resigned and is joining the people in resistance

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Slantedfloors posted:

A single ship (probably not even a proper capital ship, more likely a gunboat or something) isn't going to do much more to a inland dictator in a desert than get torpedoed by a jet and sink with all hands aboard.

There are ships shelling Benghazi. I wouldn't blame the defectors for a moment for getting the hell out of there rather than returning to fight for the revolution, but if they are heavily enough armed to take on a ship then they could still do some good.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
^^^ hopefully beaten like Gaddafi

Al Jazeera is reporting that, Abdul Fatah Younis the Libyan Minister of Interior has resigned and joined the side of the protesters and called for the Army to join forces with the protesters.

Combined with a could of reports that ships are shelling Benghazi seems like the situation is rapidly spiralling into full Civil War.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

Christ, what a blind, stupid rear end in a top hat Ortega must be.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
One of the most interesting parts of the Libyan protests has been the rapid disintegration of the government. The regime seems to be unraveling from the ground up, which is both incredible and terrifying.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

farraday posted:

You know, screw winning jeopardy, if someone could just get a loving transcription program that worked well we'd be doing great. I'm tired of trawling through video archives for stupid poo poo people have said.

Sorry.

You know how hard it is to make sensible words out of that crap he was spewing? Anything that comes back 50% intelligible will be a success.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

ukle posted:

Combined with a could of reports that ships are shelling Benghazi seems like the situation is rapidly spiralling into full Civil War.
The latest consensus from reports with locals is that there was no naval shelling of Benghazi - the original rumour came from a caller to Al-Hurra but has been since retracted and I haven't seen any updates to this since.

There were pictures posted of two ships off of the coast identified as Libyan naval vessels, but they looked like transports. I'll try to find that picture to see if some salty dog in the thread can help identify them.

Edit: Picture of the two vessels: http://twitpic.com/42mdun according to the caption, it was taken approx. 4-5 hours ago near Zawiyat al Dahmani St in Tripoli.

whoflungpoop fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 22, 2011

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

One of the most interesting parts of the Libyan protests has been the rapid disintegration of the government. The regime seems to be unraveling from the ground up, which is both incredible and terrifying.

At this point, I think the people like the aforementioned Interior Minister are more concerned about achieving the status of "Not people the new regime will want to execute." There might be an element of conscience involved, but I think that this is the primary motivator.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Zappatista posted:

Has anyone put out a transcript of Ghadaffi's latest speech?

Ghadaffi posted:

Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case! It does not make sense! Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company, and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca! Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I am not making any sense! None of this makes sense! And so you have to remember, when you're in that jury room deliberatin' and conjugatin' the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

farraday posted:

Someone more knowledgeable about the subject will be able to explain it better, but Libya's government (Jamahiriya) is basically unique in that it doesn't really exist - outside of tribal bonds, the only real concrete aspect of government is focused directly under Ghadaffi himself - there's no one else with even a fraction of his power. Once he was even remotely out of the loop, the whole thing fell apart like dead leaves.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

farraday posted:

I think Gaddafi already uses a speech generator that picks random topics from Wikipedia and ties them together, so this should be an easy feature to add.

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Rotund Lord of Shit Mountain
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/02/201122216458913596.html

A summary of the latest Gaddafi speech.
Personally summed up in a sentence: "I rule! Libya gently caress yeah! Go team! Fight the oppression, but watch out for Al-Qaeda, 'Islamists' and the pill-popping youth that are leading the protests against me! If the drugged up anti-me protesters don't back down I'm going to kill them. New constitution Wednesday."

The best part is his "drugged up youth" comments. More literally, he believes there are those that give young people pills and they get all hosed up and protest-y.
:siren:This is what Gaddafi actually believes.:siren:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Saif is going to give a press conference soon.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Maels posted:

The best part is his "drugged up youth" comments. More literally, he believes there are those that give young people pills and they get all hosed up and protest-y.

Congratulations Qaddafi, your nation has entered the 60's!

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Slantedfloors posted:

Someone more knowledgeable about the subject will be able to explain it better, but Libya's government (Jamahiriya) is basically unique in that it doesn't really exist - outside of tribal bonds, the only real concrete aspect of government is focused directly under Ghadaffi himself - there's no one else with even a fraction of his power. Once he was even remotely out of the loop, the whole thing fell apart like dead leaves.

I'm curious as to why Ghadaffi didn't try to buy off/bribe/throw oil money at the people of Benghazi if he and his advisors knew that unrest was likely to spring up there. Why jump to brutal repression if he supposedly has oil money to toss around?

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Maels posted:

Speaking of the "drugged up youth", who is he blaming for the drugging, exactly? I couldn't make heads or tails of the speech, so I'm kinda lost, there.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Maels posted:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/02/201122216458913596.html

A summary of the latest Gaddafi speech.
Personally summed up in a sentence: "I rule! Libya gently caress yeah! Go team! Fight the oppression, but watch out for Al-Qaeda, 'Islamists' and the pill-popping youth that are leading the protests against me! If the drugged up anti-me protesters don't back down I'm going to kill them. New constitution Wednesday."

You forgot the part about death penalty death penalty death penalty let me read this poem again did I tell you about the time Boris Yeltsin arble garble :supaburn:

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Zappatista posted:

I'm curious as to why Ghadaffi didn't try to buy off/bribe/throw oil money at the people of Benghazi if he and his advisors knew that unrest was likely to spring up there. Why jump to brutal repression if he supposedly has oil money to toss around?

Because he's very clearly insane.

It's pretty obvious that dictators aren't sane. If they were both him and Mubarak would have gathered up their vast fortune and got the gently caress out at the first serious signs of trouble.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Zappatista posted:

He didn't jump straight to brutal repression. At first he tried to pander to them and say that he was joing the protests himself, because he too was sick of the government not being able to meet the Libyan people's needs.

Needless to say, everyone remembered that he is literally the entire government and they started burning poo poo down.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 22, 2011

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
I',m all for beat poetry, but geeze. How is this gonna stop?

Maels
Jan 22, 2004

Rotund Lord of Shit Mountain

Finlander posted:

Speaking of the "drugged up youth", who is he blaming for the drugging, exactly? I couldn't make heads or tails of the speech, so I'm kinda lost, there.

Literally "Them".

There's also a call to pro-daffians to get out and protest the protests. He says he hasn't authorized the use of force, but when he does...DUN DUN DUNNN.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Jamsque posted:

You forgot the part about death penalty death penalty death penalty let me read this poem again did I tell you about the time Boris Yeltsin arble garble :supaburn:

I'm still trying to figure out how the Branch-Davidians of all people fit into this

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
Regardless of the veracity of "African mercenaries," I would not be surprised at all if many sub-Saharan Africans are rooting for them. I spent time in West Africa, and I was shocked at how many times I heard "We should follow Israel's example" from the locals, even from Muslims. I even heard a Nigerian Muslim say "I hope Bush bombs them all!" Many black Africans were rooting for Israel during the assault on Gaza in the same way freed slaves might root for General Sherman.

White Europeans and Arabs are hated there, and they are hated for a reason.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

redscare posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how the Branch-Davidians of all people fit into this

I *think* he was trying to explain to his people how everything is so much better in Libya, how they might be getting shot in the street but at least he's not using poisonous gas and tanks like Bill Clinton did at Waco, or how California was purged of all blacks when they rebelled or something.

Although I think presently many Libyans would willingly cleanse the country of all blacks (pro-Muammar or not), so I don't know if that last bit had the intended effect...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

whoflungpoop posted:

The latest consensus from reports with locals is that there was no naval shelling of Benghazi - the original rumour came from a caller to Al-Hurra but has been since retracted and I haven't seen any updates to this since.

There were pictures posted of two ships off of the coast identified as Libyan naval vessels, but they looked like transports. I'll try to find that picture to see if some salty dog in the thread can help identify them.

Edit: Picture of the two vessels: http://twitpic.com/42mdun according to the caption, it was taken approx. 4-5 hours ago near Zawiyat al Dahmani St in Tripoli.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=107473

• Locked thread