Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
So, when did Gaddafi's speech end? And how long was it? Because holy poo poo, it seemed like it was never going to end. It felt like eternity. Fortunately, God smiled upon me, and made my internet connection stop working for a few hours. I guess I was lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabadu
Feb 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Press conference on AJE from State TV.

Apparently this is Quatar and AJ's conspiracy to topple every government in the ME. Bullet proof accusations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Explaining those black mercenaries are actually black libyans, forgetting all the IDs that have been captured from foreign black mercenaries.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Brown Moses posted:

Explaining those black mercenaries are actually black libyans, forgetting all the IDs that have been captured from foreign black mercenaries.
Stop being obtuse. Al Jazeera sent the mercenaries and personally flew fighter jets into the country and shot up the protesters. You're so naive.

e: I just saw David Frost shoot a child with an anti-aircraft gun.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
It's really crazy to see how they worked people before technology made what they are saying so absurd. I can see how in the past when they controlled the information they could convince the middle that the protesters are causing them all of their woes.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Stuff like this just makes the eventual overthrowing of the government even more enjoyable.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What exactly are you basing this on? On what basis can you possibly say that the majority of Libyans would now support a campaign of racial genocide? You are painting Libyans very clearly as violent bloodthirsty racists - as far as I can see, other than the conjecture you have formulated in your head, there is no basis for this.

Nice strawman. I never said 'majority', but I suppose 'many' suddenly is synonymous with that.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ohh wait...egypt burned? Ohh my when did this happen?

Looking from Tripoli toward the east you see lots of smoke and fire across the Gulf of Sidra, obviously it must be from Egypt.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
I'm surprised how these govts so far have stuck to state propaganda to spread their BS. Given the patchiness of some of the information coming through the intertubes (i.e. CQ having left the country, ships shelling towns etc...), and the willingness of people to believe whatever they read, how hard would it be for governments to use twitter/fb to seed their own misinformation?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ That's what I was laughing at. These old fools have no loving clue what twitter is and are surrounded by yes men who tell them everything they are doing is perfect.

farraday posted:

Looking from Tripoli toward the east you see lots of smoke and fire across the Gulf of Sidra, obviously it must be from Egypt.

I shouldn't be laughing. :(

AJE needs to rename itself Calling Bullshit Network.

I'm surprised they haven't been the target of a "terrorist" attack.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Brown Moses posted:

At one point he encouraged his followers to rise up and fight the foreign mercenaries.

Also did anyone notice Gaddafi slipping into third-person-speak? I think that's in the Dictator Handbook or something.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Well if it helps, the US did bomb the poo poo out of them for not playing ball and saying nice things about them during Iraq.

Dabadu
Feb 4, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

Also did anyone notice Gaddafi slipping into third-person-speak? I think that's in the Dictator Handbook or something.

I did. I call it the Dictator Syndrom. Just shows how highly he thinks of himself.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

AJE needs to rename itself Calling Bullshit Network.

Ideed they do. Does the US bombings of their offices in Kabul and Baghdad count? x)

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
As per AJ interview with some national airways pilot in Libya, mercenaries are being flown in and patrolling with shoot to kill orders and Libyan ambassador to the UN just said that he hoped the news "he got" were not true but a " genocide " had started.

Those are very chilling news.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Some amateur ground footage of the Al Fateh rally https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LuiO2gkxB8&sns=tw

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What exactly are you basing this on? On what basis can you possibly say that the majority of Libyans would now support a campaign of racial genocide? You are painting Libyans very clearly as violent bloodthirsty racists - as far as I can see, other than the conjecture you have formulated in your head, there is no basis for this.

Well, violence against (black) immigrants has happened before

quote:

Xenophobia in Libya
Margaret Bald
World Press Review senior editor

The outbreak of violence was described as a reaction by Libyan youths to the surge of more than a million legal and illegal immigrants from Nigeria, Sudan, Ghana, Chad, Niger, Guinea, and Cameroon who have been drawn to oil-rich Libya for work.

Assaults on immigrants began after Libya’s top legislative and executive body ordered a crackdown on employing foreigners, the independent This Day of Lagos reported (Oct. 10). Other press reports said the attacks were sparked either by rivalry between Nigerian and Libyan drug gangs or a dispute at a soccer match.

“Libyans resent the money the immigrants make...and perceive these outsiders as beneficiaries of Gaddafi’s support for African union,” wrote Cameron Duodu for London’s Gemini News Service (Oct. 6). Gaddafi has been touring the continent to promote the formation of a United States of Africa.

In the wake of the violence, the Libyan government summarily deported thousands of immigrants, including more than 4,500 Nigerians. Another 5,000 Nigerians and 5,000 Ghanaians were being evacuated by their own governments. Harrowing accounts by returnees of beatings, arson, robbery, and looting of their homes has generated widespread public anger, particularly in Nigeria, where anti-Libyan street demonstrations in Lagos on Oct. 10 left one person dead and several wounded.

“Gangs of Libyan youth were allowed free rein to attack settlements populated by black Africans, both in large cities like Tripoli and Ben-ghazi and outlying villages,” said Lagos’s independent The Guardian (Oct. 11). “Libyan police either participated in these attacks or looked the other way.”

It was widely reported by the Nigerian media that as many as 500 Nigerians had been killed. But the Nigerian government discounted the claims that would put the toll at far higher than unconfirmed reports of between 12 and 50 dead.
http://www.worldpress.org/Africa/1270.cfm

that doesn't mean there will be a "racial genocide" but a backlash is possible considering the extreme extent of racism in north Africa, especially in North Sudan and Libya.
Funny enough Gaddafi himself used to be a vocal supporter of the "arab supremacy/black inferiority" doctrine.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
E; nm derail food

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The UN proves it's totally toothless yet again. The worse Gaddafi can expect is sanctions, and I think at this point he doesn't give a poo poo. They need to at the very least say that he's committing crimes against humanity and threaten prosecution of anyone who is involved.

Dabadu
Feb 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

The UN proves it's totally toothless yet again. The worse Gaddafi can expect is sanctions, and I think at this point he doesn't give a poo poo.

I think most countries were against sanctions. Saying that Gaddafi might get mad and hunt down their citizens in Libya. That's what a reporter on AJE said.

But yes. The UN is rather worthless when it comes to responding on this sort of thing. Too many involved with Gaddafi.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Caption says it's a video of mercenaries (yellow hats) in Benghazi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL8pQHsU2G0

edit: this is from last week actually, although still interesting

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

No guys we can't just interfere! Those Libyans have to do it themselves!

Personally I like to imagine the UN's sole purpose is the prevention of WW3, makes it feel as if they are doing a good job.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

Namarrgon posted:

I like to imagine the UN's sole purpose is the prevention of WW3, makes it feel as if they are doing a good job.

As long as they can be in the INDUSTRY of backpedaling out of any situation, claiming that "THIS isn't what we meant by the start of WW3," they have a lifetime job.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Yea its so much horse poo poo.

Why would creating sanctions on a country that is going to be completely reshaped in the comming days do anything.

Gaddaffi doesnt give a poo poo he will be dead inside of a week from suicide or from protesters.

Dabadu
Feb 4, 2011
I just love how AJE rips apart every agruement Gaddafi made in his speech, and outright mocks the shere stupidity of him and of what he was saying.

"he also said something about reforms, but it all got lost in the rambling"

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

sweeptheleg posted:

Yea its so much horse poo poo.

Why would creating sanctions on a country that is going to be completely reshaped in the comming days do anything.

Gaddaffi doesnt give a poo poo he will be dead inside of a week from suicide or from protesters.

It doesn't even make sense. The Libyan politicians that sided with the protesters actually want a no-fly zone. But the UN doesn't want to do that. Are they afraid the loving Chinese and the goddamn Russians are going to veto the decision? gently caress them. If they don't even have the loving balls to even propose the idea of a no-fly zone, then they're completely loving useless.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

No guys we can't just interfere! Those Libyans have to do it themselves!

Personally I like to imagine the UN's sole purpose is the prevention of WW3, makes it feel as if they are doing a good job.

If everything Alex Jones and the NWO nutters said about the UN was true, I think I would probably respect the organization a lot more.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Young Freud posted:

If everything Alex Jones and the NWO nutters said about the UN was true, I think I would probably respect them a lot more.

I wish they would go back to how they were in the 1950s. Intervening in the Korean War is probably the most useful thing they've ever done.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ace Oliveira posted:

I wish they would go back to how they were in the 1950s. Intervening in the Korean War is probably the most useful thing they've ever done.

To be frank, I don't even want military ground forces storming the shores of Tripoli or whatever, it just would have been nice to place a no fly zone, so the maniac can't send bombers and helicopters to buzz around and zap people expressing their displeasure with his existence.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Nonsense posted:

To be frank, I don't even want military ground forces storming the shores of Tripoli or whatever, it just would have been nice to place a no fly zone, so the maniac can't send bombers and helicopters to buzz around and zap people expressing their displeasure with his existence.

loving Amen. That's exactly what the Libyan anti-Gaddafi politicians want. But the UN can't even do that, so gently caress 'em.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I think my next Halloween/carnival outfit will be 'Arab dictator'.

I'm still a proponent of full-on ground troops intervention though.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
Every time i see Gaddafi, I see Snoop Dogg, anyone else?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Nonsense posted:

You know the Marines are itching to storm Tripoli again. It is in their official song even. It will be like good old times.

Marines' Hymn posted:

From the Halls of Montezuma,
To the shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;

Nobler Than Lettuce
Aug 17, 2010

I think I'm a grasshopper. I think I'm a grasshopper. I think I'm a grasssshopppper.

MJ_Turbo posted:

Every time i see Gaddafi, I see Snoop Dogg, anyone else?

Oh man did you see Snoop totally own those dudes in a basketball game? It was on TMZ last night, and what? What about what in Egypt?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DevNull posted:

You know the Marines are itching to storm Tripoli again. It is in their official song even. It will be like good old times.

Thomas Jefferson and the rootin' tootin' leather necks.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ace Oliveira posted:

loving Amen. That's exactly what the Libyan anti-Gaddafi politicians want. But the UN can't even do that, so gently caress 'em.

I find it hard to blame the UN completely. They were basically set up by the Western powers following WW2 as a rubber stamp for their police actions and set up specifically so anything they could possibly do can be always be vetoed by the most belligerent members. And then suddenly everyone expected them to actually do something.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?

Nobler Than Lettuce posted:

Oh man did you see Snoop totally own those dudes in a basketball game? It was on TMZ last night, and what? What about what in Egypt?

are you mocking me or what, i just think he looks a bit like him

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
So if Ahmadinejad is "Dinner Jacket", what is this loving guy

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist

Ace Oliveira posted:

So, when did Gaddafi's speech end? And how long was it? Because holy poo poo, it seemed like it was never going to end. It felt like eternity. Fortunately, God smiled upon me, and made my internet connection stop working for a few hours. I guess I was lucky.

No, he was crazy. I watched the whole thing on AJE, and quite frankly, he was nuts.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Cjones posted:

So if Ahmadinejad is "Dinner Jacket", what is this loving guy

Carpet.

At least that's what his clothes look like to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Zappatista posted:

Has anyone put out a transcript of Ghadaffi's latest speech?

Yes, here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZatmOFpns

The transcript is in the description.

• Locked thread