Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

A Good Dog posted:

Am I really supposed to feel sorry for the cracker extra-nationals that haven't been able to flee Libya with their pockets full of stolen money?

"Cracker extra-nationals" is like the best term imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
From the Guardian live blog

Mr Hague said that, as well as laying charter planes, he was not ruling out the possibility of using military flights "without permission".

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Are the airstrikes even still happening? From the sounds of it, a big rear end chunk of the air force has either defected, gone over to "Free Libya", or ditched in the desert.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slantedfloors posted:

Are the airstrikes even still happening? From the sounds of it, a big rear end chunk of the air force has either defected, gone over to "Free Libya", or ditched in the desert.

From what I've heard there were two jets that defected and landed on Malta, and another one where the pilots ejected after refusing an order to bomb civilians (and let the plane crash in an uninhabited area) - do you have a source on more?

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
The two who defected were part of a larger mission that was bombing ,i think, Tripoli. When they reported that the ships were bombarding tripoli, they think that was actually the air strikes, since the navy is in the middle of a mutiny right now.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Earwicker posted:

From what I've heard there were two jets that defected and landed on Malta, and another one where the pilots ejected after refusing an order to bomb civilians (and let the plane crash in an uninhabited area) - do you have a source on more?

Well, I think it has more to do with the ground real estate. There are large reports of ground forces defecting or joining the protesters. The aircraft can't say in the air forever and I sure as poo poo wouldn't want to land onto a hostile airfield.

This is just my own speculation, of course.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah hopefully Italy or Malta could provide airfields open to defecting Libyan forces and say so, though that's probably very unrealistic.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
al-Jazeera Arabic mentioned monday night that two other warplanes bombed Tripoli. I think it was the Falshoom area, but I don't remember.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Earwicker posted:

Yeah hopefully Italy or Malta could provide airfields open to defecting Libyan forces and say so, though that's probably very unrealistic.

It's likely that after the first 2 defected to Malta they started only fueling the planes enough to bomb and return, thus forcing the third defector to bail out and let the plane crash.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Earwicker posted:

After the two jets defected to Malta, there were some reports of another pair that overflew their targets and landed in Benghazi.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's likely that after the first 2 defected to Malta they started only fueling the planes enough to bomb and return, thus forcing the third defector to bail out and let the plane crash.

That makes it sound like they're sending out one aircraft at a time, and their Air force is only like 7 aircraft strong.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

This is the most likely reason, though it could also be an act of defiance. "I WRECKED YO poo poo, NOW WHAT"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I wonder about possibilities of landing in Egypt? Not that it's stable there but it seems like defecting Libyan forces might be more welcomed in Egyptian borders, and the border isn't that far from Benghazi

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I wonder about possibilities of landing in Egypt? Not that it's stable there but it seems like defecting Libyan forces might be more welcomed in Egyptian borders, and the border isn't that far from Benghazi

I don't know for certain, but the boarder may be in close proximity, but is an actual airfield?

I think Malta is closer either way.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

There's a really weird interview with Saadi Gaddafi on the Financial Times:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bc99db2e-3f74-11e0-a1ba-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz1EoRVgdUw

You have to register to read, but here are some snips:

Financial Times posted:

In an exclusive telephone interview from Tripoli, Mr Gaddafi told the Financial Times that the turmoil in Libya was a “positive earthquake” that shakes up the old guard stifling the country, and paves the way for much-needed reform.

He made clear that he believed any such new regime would still include his father. “My father would stay as the big father who advises,” he told the Financial Times, adding that direct administrative powers should be handed over to a new generation.

[...]

Like his father and brother earlier in the week, Mr Gaddafi insisted that many protesters had taken “very powerful” drugs, such as amphetamines or ecstasy. “We have tonnes of the pills they were given,” he said, though he did not know where they had come from.

What the gently caress. He also claims that al Qaeda is in control of the eastern part of the country. :wtc:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivias posted:

That makes it sound like they're sending out one aircraft at a time, and their Air force is only like 7 aircraft strong.

Looking at the Libyan Air Force page on Wikipedia, that number might be closer to the truth than you think.

quote:

Aircraft: Dassault Mirage F1BD/ED
Type: Multi role fighter
In service: 12
Notes: some at Gamal Abdul El Nasser Air Base, south of Tobruk. Two used by senior colonels to defect to Malta in February 2011 after being instructed to bomb protesters.

That page also says they have over 200 Aero L-39ZOs and Soko G-2s, which are Czech and Yugoslavian light attack fighter/bomber trainers, but they were also made in the '60s, so who knows how many are still flight-worthy.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Check out Muammar's son's PhD thesis:

Saif al-Islam Qaddafi posted:

The core aim of the thesis, then, is to explore the potential for the concept of Collective Management to develop a more democratic, morally justified system of global governance that recognises the rights of individuals…and is particularly focused on empowering civil society organizations (CSOs) to give a stronger voice to those currently under-represented in the existing system

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2011/02/everything_will_burn

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Lareous posted:

This is the most likely reason, though it could also be an act of defiance. "I WRECKED YO poo poo, NOW WHAT"

I wouldn't put it past them to start disabling the ejection systems in the aircraft on top of running them on fumes just to deter defection.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Young Freud posted:

What the gently caress has this guy spending all his oil money on for the last 42 loving years!?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Sivias posted:

What the gently caress has this guy spending all his oil money on for the last 42 loving years!?

Q/K/Gaddafi can't fly, but everyone poops.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sivias posted:

His wardrobe.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Also camping on the lawn of various 5-star hotels throughout Europe and giving 500 Korans to 500 models.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivias posted:

No kidding. He supposedly has 124 multi-role versions of the Mig-23, but the note to the side of that says "Most are grounded", which means anywhere from that they're being cannibalized for parts or they're fuel-hogs that they can't fly most of them.

Going back to the no-fly zone talk, it's starting to sound like it's easier and easier to do. Almost like sending 2 Eurofighters and wiping out the entire airforce, Iron Eagle style.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Sivias posted:

It actually gets worse if you look at the Army. I don't think there's a single piece of equipment they have that was made past the early 70's. And most of the stuff from the seventies is mothballed.

The Brown Menace posted:

Also camping on the lawn of various 5-star hotels throughout Europe and giving 500 Korans to 500 models.
And giving powerpoints to the supermodels about why they should become his concubines.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 23, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

:nms: :nws:

quote:

This is some gruesome footage posted on YouTube purporting to be of the bodies of soldiers found bound and shot in the Fadhil camp in Benghazi. Contains graphic images.

The headline reads:

جنود تم إعدامهم في بعد رفضهم الأوامر بقتل مدنيين ليبيا

["Soldiers executed after refusing orders to kill civilians in Libya"]

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Live blogs:
BBC
AJE
Guardian

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Didn't someone say Obama was going to speak like an hour ago? Did that happen yet?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

davebo posted:

Didn't someone say Obama was going to speak like an hour ago? Did that happen yet?

I think it's going to be about DOMA no longer being supported by him.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

davebo posted:

The latest The Guardian had was that he was going to be making it "at the soonest in 20 minutes", that was about 1hr 20 ago. They speculated he is likely waiting for a US ferry that left Tripoli to arrive in Malta.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

That's why I get annoyed when people abuse the word hero. If true, those are true heroes, in any language or country.

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mts_qRO4nLs
make way for the guy with the AK!

good videos on this channel, not sure what is going on in some of them though

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

davebo posted:

I have Hillary Clinton on my TV right now. She's with the Brazilian Foreign Minister just now mentioning Libya.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

breaklaw posted:

I have Hillary Clinton on my TV right now. She's with the Brazilian Foreign Minister just now mentioning Libya.

Yep. She's apparently been around Obama too much, she's doing that hand dictation thing. She's not really saying anything new, just the basic "We hate violence...play nice please".

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

That's why I get annoyed when people abuse the word hero. If true, those are true heroes, in any language or country.

Just think about it. They would have had an idea what might happen to them if they said no. I wonder if those men were shot one at a time. Did the question get asked again, whispered in their ear? And when they felt the muzzle pressed against the back of their head, having heard the man next to them fall forward, did they know that this- the end they have chosen, was better than killing their own country men.

If I was ever in that position, and that thought alone makes me shudder, would I be man enough to face the sequences of that last question. I hope I never have to find out.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Secretary Clinton condemning Iran for its hypocrisy. That's rich.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Going back to the no-fly zone talk, it's starting to sound like it's easier and easier to do. Almost like sending 2 Eurofighters and wiping out the entire airforce, Iron Eagle style.

Cappy could get 'er done!

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

RunningOnEmpty posted:

Just think about it. They would have had an idea what might happen to them if they said no. I wonder if those men were shot one at a time. Did the question get asked again, whispered in their ear? And when they felt the muzzle pressed against the back of their head, having heard the man next to them fall forward, did they know that this- the end they have chosen, was better than killing their own country men.

If I was ever in that position, and that thought alone makes me shudder, would I be man enough to face the sequences of that last question. I hope I never have to find out.

What a chilling and sobering description.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

"Dear Gaddafi,

GTFO SHITHEEL.

Your (not) friends,
Libya

PS- No, seriously, gtfo."

This man needs to gently caress off. This is loving ridiculous and I only hope that he is made to answer for it by his own people. None of this cozy imprisonment a la Noriega or something. Let the Libyans figure out what happens to him. He's a loving war criminal.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Cacatua posted:

I have just obtained the copy of a draft resolution from the Human Rights Council that strongly condemns the violence in Libya. The resolution is as strongly worded as they come.

Hopefully this resolution will result in a meeting. And with any luck that will lead to a second, even more strongly-worded statement. It's even possible that they may threaten some sort of sanctions on the Libyan government should they continue killing their own civilians.

Of course by the time debate is concluded and all these wizened diplomats have all had their say the issue will have been settled with blood in the streets, but oh well. The diplomatic process, you know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Paddyo posted:

Hopefully this resolution will result in a meeting. And with any luck that will lead to a second, even more strongly-worded statement. It's even possible that they may threaten some sort of sanctions on the Libyan government should they continue killing their own civilians.

Of course by the time debate is concluded and all these wizened diplomats have all had their say the issue will have been settled with blood in the streets, but oh well. The diplomatic process, you know...

I cannot help but think of this

"This calls for immediate discussion!"

• Locked thread