Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

The BBC news ticker on TV is reporting the MoD has confirmed HMS Cumberland is at Benghazi harbour, unit Special Forces on board are on standby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Qaddafi blabbing nonsense and has a rather lovely microphone. Also calling protesters Al-Qaeda. And repeating the nonsense he said in his previous speech. Talk of hallucinatory pills again. the only new element is the emphasis on islamists.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Hold on just a second there.
He's been screaming about islamists causing trouble... And now he's saying that the muslim brotherhoods are not to blame.
!?!?!?!?!?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Go on Guardian, tell us what you really think:

quote:

He is again blaming al-Qaida for turning Libya's "youngsters and children" against the regime. He says there are only a few "inciters" who also happen to be against the west. Is this a cack-handed appeal to gain western sympathy? If so it's an odd way of going about things, which will merely confirm Gaddafi's tenuous grasp on reality.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

Brown Moses posted:

If the Rebels offically declare independence, and declare war on Gaddafi, would that then qualify him for being prosecuted under war crime legislation?

Would the rebels declare independence or would they claim to be the legitimate government of Libya? I had assumed it was going to be the latter.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This is surreal. I heard about his other speeches, but holy crap.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Did he just say he can't change the rules because he is like Queen Elizabeth II?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Now that the oil has stopped, says Gaddafi, how will the people survive. Will bin Laden support the people, he asks. How are people going to buy cars, get married or buy goods that were cheaply available, he goes on. Maybe there will be a "revision of salaries and other incomes".

We need a :catdrugs: style emoticon for Gaddafi.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like he's in a bunker with only a phone and a metal chair, that he's squeaking across the floor nervously.

And wow, he just keeps droning on and on about kids and kids disobeying their parents, Queen Elizabeth, and something about drooling. His analogies are just bizarre to say the least

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

Kenning posted:

Brown Moses you're the man.

Hey man, I hope your friend and his family stay safe. Thanks for bringing us this perspective, والله معهم.

It's a horrible situation - we didn't hear from him for 24 hours and that was a bit scary. But the thing is, every time we hear from him, it's awful.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
This speech Qaddafi is giving right now is really hilarious.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

BBC News could not let the Queen Elizabeth comment slide.
That was quite funny... Perhaps "ruling" in a slightly different way than Elizabeth.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

I am trying to show you parental advice, says Gaddafi adopting a father of the nation tone. He now compares himself to the Queen saying he is in a similar position to her. He cannot make rules, only offer advice. He is returning to the "hallucination pills" that young Libyans are supposed to be ingesting. More Queen comparisons. He does not have the authority to impose rules on the people. "I have become more of a symbolic leader".

He offers advice like "kill everyone", and is a symbolic leader, much like Hitler.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Are these references to Bin Laden and Al-Quada supposed to be some kind of deterrent to the Western Powers taking some kind of action against Libya? I just can't figure it out at all.

Now Bin Laden and America want to kill your kids? Now he's saying that parents are responsible and kids should hold them accountable?

This would be great comedy if it weren't so serious.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
Bin Laden wants to kill your kids to get control.
But since the kids are supposed to already be under his control, why kill them? Seems like a pretty terrible strategy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I wonder if a single person watching this doesn't think he's mentally ill?

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
I want to try some of the hallucination pills. They don’t seem to be doing CQ any harm.

He thinks he's like the queen, bless him. Just like our monarch, he is not to blame because he does not have the authority. He is a victim.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe he thinks he can convince America to help prop up his regime because it has to be THE AL QAEDA!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

Would the rebels declare independence or would they claim to be the legitimate government of Libya? I had assumed it was going to be the latter.

They've said they don't want a divided Libya. I think he means declare independence as in create a breakoff state and declare war with the intent to re-unify the contry.

I doubt they'll do anything of the sort though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

He's blaming bin Laden for Iraq and Afghanistan as well. "All they want is to kill your kids, that's what bin Laden wants, he should be happy now, that's what he wants," says Gaddafi. Again he says Libyans should take responsibility for the country as he has handed power to them through people's committees.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Why the gently caress is he so obsessed with Bin Laden?

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Furious Mittens posted:

It sounds like he's in a bunker with only a phone and a metal chair, that he's squeaking across the floor nervously.

This is pretty much what I'm picturing, although, in my mind, he's also put on a tin-foil hat. Otherwise, Mossad, the CIA, and the Queen would be able to read his thoughts. :tinfoil:

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
He's literally just rambling again. Always amazes me that people like him could lead anything let alone a country. The world is a mysterious place

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Furious Mittens posted:

This would be great comedy if it weren't so serious.

It's so hilarious so awful at the same time, but after reading that revolution, ha ha ha article I don't feel so bad about laughing at the clownish mass murderer.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is like the most amazing unintentional self parody I've ever seen in my life.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

OptimusMatrix posted:

Why the gently caress is he so obsessed with Bin Laden?

Because he thinks he can scare western countries into supporting him with the Islamist ghost?

ie he's desperate

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh thank god he learnt to shut up.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
And that was that. Pretty short.

Queen Gaddafi II posted:

Crazy poo poo

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

They've said they don't want a divided Libya. I think he means declare independence as in create a breakoff state and declare war with the intent to re-unify the contry.

I doubt they'll do anything of the sort though.

It's been suggested by some intelligence "experts" that it could conceivably happen, especially since much of the Eastern half of the country has already been taken and much of the military infrastructure in that area is in protester control.

I doubt it would happen, but given his propensity to use extreme force against these protesters, I wouldn't discount it entirely.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Gaddafi says he doesn't know when the violence will come to an end but urges parents to take away the "guns from the kids" and arrest those behind the violence. He wonders whether bin Laden will compensate the victims' families. Gaddafi also mentions bin Laden's theoretician, al-Zawahiri. His monologue has come to an end. He spoke for about half an hour. It was an extraordinary rant, trying to blame bin Laden and jihadists, who he said had given hallucination pills to young Libyans. It will confirm that Gaddafi is totally out of touch if he really believed in what he was saying.

Don't do drugs
Keep away from guns
Respect your parents

Gaddifi's just listing off Mr T's Ten Commandments.

wesh_side
Feb 19, 2010

:black101:DOUBLE SUN :black101:
BLOCKING POWER

Drunk & Ugly posted:

He's literally just rambling again. Always amazes me that people like him could lead anything let alone a country. The world is a mysterious place
I was thinking the same thing, how can you run a country for 30years while being batshit insane like that?

e: I heard he put a bounty of 25k Euros on the libyans saying something like 'You're all poor fucks so kill your brother or mother whatever and i'll give you 25 grands'. Can anyone confirm this or it's just bs?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
You don't start out crazy, but if you get into a scenario where nobody tells you 'no' and you can indulge your every whim for forty years straight then that tends to warp your perspective a bit, I'd imagine.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I doubt he was always insane, at least on this picture when he was younger he does "appear" to be normal:

Settepotet
Jul 10, 2009
Gaddafi = speacher of the year. No doubt.

He blows my mind, every single time.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Banano posted:

You don't start out crazy, but if you get into a scenario where nobody tells you 'no' and you can indulge your every whim for forty years straight then that tends to warp your perspective a bit, I'd imagine.

Qadaffi was pretty nuts even by the mid-70s. You do have to have some underlying crazy to reach his post-1980 levels of insanity.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This probably wasn't the greatest thing to say to discourage rebellion:

quote:

A BBC editor points out that Col Gaddafi's speech included the interesting line: "Zawiya is slipping away from us". Reports suggest the town of Zawiya, west of Tripoli, has been the subject of fighting.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

What's more disturbing then his total and complete lack of sanity, is that there are enough people who are (allegedly) following orders to kill civilians, and their fellow soldiers for NOT killing civilians.

I cannot grasp how this revolution is not a landslide?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I bet Hitler wasn't this funny before he shot himself.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
I wonder why he keeps telling mothers to get their children off the streets when his troops are pretty much killing everyone and everything. It's like he wants his supporters to die, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think it's because he's mentally ill.

Live Blogs
BBC
AJE
Guardian

• Locked thread