Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I bet Hitler wasn't this funny before he shot himself.

:drat:

I still think we should make a Qaddafi speech GDT a la TFF. There's always a deluge of new posts whenever that crazy fucker goes on the airwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Benghazi residents say the Libyan oil and product terminals of Ras Lanuf and Marsa Brega are out of Col Gaddafi's control, reports Reuters. They say people have told them the facilities are being protected.

Those are actually quite close to a Gaddafi supporter stronghold.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Cartouche posted:

I cannot grasp how this revolution is not a landslide?

Cronyism. Some of these people are the local public face of the regime. The local enforcer, or collector or whatever. If they end up locking up or executing Gaddafi, some of these commanders won't be far behind. They are fighting to save their own rear end.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Key "points" of Gaddafi's speech from the Guardian:

quote:

•Osama bin Laden and his followers are behind the protests sweeping the country.

quote:

What is happening now in Libya is not people's power, it's international terrorism led by al-Qaeda... All they want is to kill your kids, that's what bin Laden wants, he should be happy now, that's what he wants.

• Young people were being duped with drugs and alcohol to take part in "destruction and sabotage".

quote:

They have been brain washing the kids and young people... [the protesters] are trigger happy and they shoot especially when they are stoned with drugs.

• The situation in Libya is very different to that in Egypt or Tunisia which have both seen successful revolutions.

quote:

There are no queues, people are getting all their daily needs. Why did you have to get involved with this kind of Bin Laden organisation?

• He was merely a figurehead like the Queen in the UK and cannot make rules, only offer advice.

quote:

The constitution is very clear: take the weapons from them... I only have moral authority.

• He did not know when the violence would end but again urged his supporters to take to the streets.

quote:

I call on the people of Libya to get out of their houses and confront this bunch of people. If they are not brave enough to go out and face this enemy on the street, maybe they should let their women and their daughters go out.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Did Al Jazeera just show a dead Nigerian mercenary?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Aljazeera reporting that anti-Qaddafi protesters are planning on trying to liberate Tripoli by force through Zawiya, it's not clear whether they will be using the weapons taken from the army.

Also, The air marshal of the Libyan air force has called on all pilots to land all aircraft at liberated Misurata as soon as possible.

Libyan Minister of justice on aljazeera calling Qaddafi on his bullshit and calling on all Libyans to march on Tripoli to save the country.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zawiya is west of Tripoli, not east, so that would suggest there's significant resistance on both sides of Tripoli.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just one last comic touch for Gaddafi's speech, from Twitter:

quote:

after speech, silence. Then Radio went to recording of cheers + music

Also:

quote:

Libyan TV is reporting that authorities in the country have seized ''audio recordings of al-Qaeda members in Zawiya aiming to carry out acts of sabotage".

I really want to hear these recordings, something to add to the cavalcade of comedy.

Rumours and discussion about Gaddafi planning to fake some terrorist attacks to back up his phoney claims.

quote:

AJA Libyan expert:I have confirmed reports Qaddafi sons planning car bombs all over country to prove Al Qaeda after revolts

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 24, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
His talks about drugs is funny, because Gaddafi looks and sounds like a person who's been doing sniffing glue and cocaine for years. Given his position of power I don't suppose it would be out of the question that he had some sort of addiction because even if others noticed, they couldn't intervene - Hitler's personal physician also gave him all kinds of dope poo poo during his last years.

By the way, if you ever wanted drive like a dictator beloved leader and guide of revolution, Curtis Industries has the answer. Comes in white, black or beige!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 24, 2011

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

That part of Ghadaffi's speech where he calls himself a symbolic leader and compares himself to Queen Elizabeth II is hilariously pathetic. He sees that he has lost virtually all power to lead, so decides to turn lemons into lemonade by becoming a figurehead leader instead, being too insane to realize that the first thing that is going to happen when Tripoli falls is him in a cell or hanging from a lamp-post. And then he refers to himself as the Grandfather of the nation - that he thinks Libyans would ever think of him as kindly and wise ol' Grandpa Ghadaffi is more insane than anything he has said about greasy rats or al-Quaeda crazy drugs.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Nenonen posted:

His talks about drugs is funny, because Gaddafi looks and sounds like a person who's been doing sniffing glue and cocaine for years. Given his position of power I don't suppose it would be out of the question that he had some sort of addiction because even if others noticed, they couldn't intervene - Hitler's personal physician also gave him all kinds of dope poo poo during his last years.

This poo poo makes me wish Charles Bronson was still alive. "The Quaddifi Story" would rock with Bronson dressed up like Dolemite, spouting nonsense, and talking about conspiracies. "Hey, you, punk! Al Qaeda is all up in my Libyan grill!"

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Al-Saqr posted:

Aljazeera reporting that anti-Qaddafi protesters are planning on trying to liberate Tripoli by force through Zawiya, it's not clear whether they will be using the weapons taken from the army.

Also, The air marshal of the Libyan air force has called on all pilots to land all aircraft at liberated Misurata as soon as possible.

Libyan Minister of justice on aljazeera calling Qaddafi on his bullshit and calling on all Libyans to march on Tripoli to save the country.

That is encouraging. It sounds like this might be over sooner that people expected. Hopefully with less bloodshed as well.

edit: Just saw this on Twitter posted by Sherine Tadros of Al Jazeera

quote:

Al jazeera arabic; Officers in the Air Force base in Benghazi, announced they are joining the revolution #libya

DevNull fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 24, 2011

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
I wonder how that liberation of Tripoli will go. Since the rebels are on the attacking side, this time, they've got less defensive options than Gaddafi's croneys, who can easily use guerrila tactics and the like. That, along with the fact that Tripoli seems to have the most and the best trainer pro-Gaddafi troops, could make things pretty messy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AP Roud up:

quote:

The Associated Press has news from Zawiya, Misrata and Tripoli.

• Zawiya - as we reported earlier army units and militiamen loyal to Muammar Gaddafi attacked a mosque where protesters were holding an anti-government sit-in. Ten people were killed and around 150 wounded, according to a doctor there. Rebels had been camped at Souq mosque for days. Soldiers opened fire with automatic weapons and hit the minaret with an anti-aircraft gun, a witness said. Zawiya, which is around 40 miles west of Tripoli, is a key city near an oil port and refineries. After the attack, thousands of people rallied in Martyrs' Square by the mosque shouting "leave, leave" in reference to Gaddafi, according to the news agency.

• Misrata - Gaddafi loyalists battled with demonstrators who had seized control of the airport in Libya's third largest city, which is 125 miles east of Tripoli along the coast. Rebels claimed control of the city yesterday and today militiamen with rocket-propelled grenades and mortars fired at a line of them guarding the airport. During the fighting, the airport's defenders seized an anti-aircraft gun used by the militias and turned it against them, according to AP. A medical official said two people were killed, one from each side, and five wounded. He added: "Now Misrata is totally under control of the people, but we are worried because we squeezed between Sirte and Tripoli, which are strongholds of Gaddafi."

• Tripoli - Pro-Gaddafi militiamen – a mix of Libyans and foreign mercenaries – have clamped down on the city since the Libyan leader went on state TV on Tuesday night and called on his supporters to take back the streets. Residents say militiamen roam Tripoli's main avenues, firing the air, while neighbourhood watch groups have barricaded side streets trying to keep the fighters out and protesters lay low.

• Ahmed Gadhaf al-Dam, a cousin and close aide to the Libyan leader, announced he had defected to Egypt in protest against Gaddafi's crackdown against protesters. Gaddafi's son Saif claimed today that the reported death tolls have been exaggerated, although he didn't provide his own figure. In a press conference aired on state TV, he said the number killed by police and the army had been limited and "talking about hundreds and thousands [killed] is a joke".

And from the BBC

quote:

Libya's state TV, in what appears to be a first, is now airing urgent captions in English.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It also sounds like the attempts to recapture Misrata and Zawya by the regime have failed. The people of Zawya are planning to push back to Tripoli as well.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

It's really strange how SLOW Libya news travels in the States. Things on the ground are happening so fast that I've had to correct couple of people today who were still under the impression that Gaddafi is in Venezuela - ancient news.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
There's an interesting article on Dwell that talks about how the urban planning of Tahir square helped make it a center for protest

http://www.dwell.com/articles/design-and-history-of-tahrir-square.html#ixzz1ErJhxqzE

I thought it was great because I remember in some history courses discussing how the layout of France and it's boulevards helped the revolution there as well way back when. Maybe democratic countries should ensure that all their cities are designed "revolution friendly"

paraone
Mar 22, 2003
I just heard Gaddafi say

"A real man doesn't use arms on innocent people" in reference to opposition.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pissboy Geoff posted:

I just heard Gaddafi say

"A real man doesn't use arms on innocent people" in reference to opposition.

Apologies, but do you have a link for his last 'speech'? I'm searching AJE and can't find it. I need to laugh at something.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

cioxx posted:

It's really strange how SLOW Libya news travels in the States. Things on the ground are happening so fast that I've had to correct couple of people today who were still under the impression that Gaddafi is in Venezuela - ancient news.

That picture is making me laugh far, far too much.

Charles Bronson IS Quaddafi in "Elizabeth: The Glided Age."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJE confirms the citizens of Al Baida have taken over the city, and have access to the military barracks, and the weapons with in.

quote:

Al Jazeera's correspondent in Al Baida reports says that the situation can be described as a "nervous quietness" - with most of the town being under the control of the residents as they've taken over the military barracks and all the weapons there.

"Shops are closed - life is at a standstill - schools are closed, local tribal leaders are trying to take things into their own hands...still, in the area, they say there are mercenaries," said our correspondent. The mercenaries, she said, are either Libyans working for the government or foreign fighters.

She added that in Al Baida, most people are staying indoors, and that residents there rejected any claims made by Gaddafi that they were following al-Qaeda and that they were on drugs.

She also said that people there feel like they've reached "a point of no return",

I think that goes to show that not only are the people in control, but any attempts to retake the city will face armed resistance.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Brown Moses posted:

Rumours and discussion about Gaddafi planning to fake some terrorist attacks to back up his phoney claims.

You know I really wanted to make a joke about blowing up a pile of previously murdered corpses but dang :smith:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

You know I really wanted to make a joke about blowing up a pile of previously murdered corpses but dang :smith:
Col. Gaddafi's Bomb-in-a-Bucket chicken. Extra crispy.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

thunderspanks posted:

Col. Gaddafi's Bomb-in-a-Bucket chicken. Extra crispy.

Yknow, that bit by Robin Williams was all I knew of Gaddafi until last year when I did a research paper on him. It's really weird to think of just how long this crazy bastard's been in power with relatively few shakeups until now.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That is way too much effort. He would just round up a few living people and blow them up. It makes it more authentic that way too.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
I wonder what it's like being the poor guy who has to translate Gaddafi's speeches. He must be constantly doubting if he heard correctly.

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.
Gaddafi is easily my favorite dictator. His speeches are always golden.*

*does not mean I endorse what he's doing to his people.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
It looks like Bengahzi isn't a big fan of this whole internet revolution, no sir. They know this is a print revolution.

First Edition of the Benghazi Newspaper

Khaaddafi is so very hosed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Charles Bronson? I was going to cast Benicio Del Toro

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41754177

Interesting article about a cable leaked by wikileaks on Libya stashing money in US banks. $32 billion in cash hidden away from the people by a dictator. I can't imagine why they are sick of him.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Yeah all his children lived decadent lives off it too. Only Saif seemed like a decent guy who was educated abroad and tried to bring some humanity to the country. Of course then he's made to give the first speech about rivers of blood and all that... I wonder how things will work out for him.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

^^^ the whole family will probably be executed on general principles since their patriarch is madder than a March Hare.

Steve Yun posted:

"We can't stop here! This is protester country!"

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Steve Yun posted:

What a complete opposite role from 'Che'. He'd have to have some serious range as an actor to pull off Gadaffi.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
jesus christ :(

BBC posted:

1753: The Libyan Deputy Ambassador to the UN, Ibrahim Dabbaschi, tells the BBC French for Africa that he has information that mercenaries loyal to Col Gaddafi have been loading the bodies of people killed in Tripoli on planes. He says they are then taken to the desert near the town of Sirte, where they are being dumped.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.
CNBC just announced that there is some evidence that he's preparing to flee. I'm not sure what this evidence is.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SauceNinja posted:

CNBC just announced that there is some evidence that he's preparing to flee. I'm not sure what this evidence is.

I imagine it's the stupid man running down the street wearing his curtains with a handful of papers screaming "gently caress THIS poo poo" in Arabic.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like he'll have less spending money:

quote:

Switzerland has ordered an immediate freeze on any assets that may belong to Col Gaddafi and his entourage, the AFP news agency reports, quoting the Swiss foreign ministry.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Celexi posted:

I doubt he was always insane, at least on this picture when he was younger he does "appear" to be normal:

All I can hear when I look at this picture is the audio from a Wu-Tang filler track where they're all sitting around high and rambling.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Hitler's physician was a quack doctor and fed him amphetamines and other drugs for years, up until his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Isn't it a little late for him to flee? And who would ever give him asylum?

I wonder what his kids are cooking up though.

• Locked thread