Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
How do I use twitterfall.com? #Tripoli isn't listed under trends, and if I put it in "Lists" or "Searches" nothing happens.

I don't really use Twitter so forgive my ignorance.

Edit: OK- seems to be working now. Is there a way to have a timestamp on the tweets?

Ewan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

smn posted:

Gaddafi High-ball? More in line stylistically with Molotovs, and he sounds like he's had a few too many of those.

You also have to squeeze a pill of ecstasy into the tennis ball, for good measure.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

SauceNinja posted:

North Korea?

The Chosun Ilbo (major SK newspaper) claims there were small protests in the North recently, but such outbursts are usually directly related to a short-term concern like food or electricity rather than aimed at regime change. Check out this article.

Either way, the South is taking advantage of the situation.

quote:

The South Korea military sent tens of thousands of helium balloons towards the North Friday, packed with messages detailing the popular uprisings in Egypt and Libya and explaining that “a dictatorial regime is destined to collapse,” according to news reports*

A revolution in North Korea would be extremely bloody and almost certainly result in international involvement. However, it seems to belong in the 'very unlikely' category for now.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/02/24/reflections_on_the_revolutions_in_tunisia_and_egypt

I saw this article posted on twitter and though I would share it. It is a pretty good overview of the events in Tunis and Egypt and some of the impact. It also address obstacles that must still be overcome. It is written by Palestinian-American Rashid Khalidi. He is the Edward Said professor of Arab studies at Columbia University. Edward Said was a Palestinian-American author and professor at Columbia. Both are incredible authors, and I suggest any of their books if you are interested in learning about the Middle East. Be warned though, Edward Said's book Orientalism is a fairly difficult read.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Ewan posted:

Edit: OK- seems to be working now. Is there a way to have a timestamp on the tweets?

Don't think so, but if you change the "Retweets" setting to "Don't Show" then they should arrive more or less in order with much less repetition from earlier on.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

smn posted:

Gaddafi High-ball? More in line stylistically with Molotovs, and he sounds like he's had a few too many of those.

Muammar Mixer
Gadaffi's Balls
loving a Tyrant
Absolut Absolutist
Playing Ball with the Mad Dog of the Middle East
A Friendly Game of Tennis with the Brotherly Leader
Saluting the Colonel
A Libyan Serve

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Tripoli Elbow

Double-Fault gently caress

Match-Point money maker

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

DevNull posted:

http://mideast.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/02/24/reflections_on_the_revolutions_in_tunisia_and_egypt

I saw this article posted on twitter and though I would share it. It is a pretty good overview of the events in Tunis and Egypt and some of the impact. It also address obstacles that must still be overcome. It is written by Palestinian-American Rashid Khalidi. He is the Edward Said professor of Arab studies at Columbia University. Edward Said was a Palestinian-American author and professor at Columbia. Both are incredible authors, and I suggest any of their books if you are interested in learning about the Middle East. Be warned though, Edward Said's book Orientalism is a fairly difficult read.

I saw him speak at Amherst College a couple years ago. Interesting guy, but the speech he gave was only surprising if you knew nothing about cold war era politics (it was basically about proxy wars).

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

TheDamien posted:

Wth, there's a place called Tataoine?! Also it looks like aaw901 is circling.

URGENT: Security forces attack Lars Moisture farm - attempt to frame sand people! #MosEisley #NerdShit

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
What is that?

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

What is that?

Someone's Aunt and Uncle. Terrible.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Jesus, I didn't recognize it at first. You bastard. May the force not be with you. :argh:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ohh I thought it looked familiar.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suntory BOSS posted:

A revolution in North Korea would be extremely bloody and almost certainly result in international involvement. However, it seems to belong in the 'very unlikely' category for now.

North Korea has nukes, or at least nuke technology, don't they? I don't think I'd want to see what would happen if Kim Jong Il had his back to the wall and decided to take the country down with him like Gaddafi.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

smn posted:

Gadaffi Screw-ball. Works in two ways.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
haha got me for a second

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Anyone know if there's a more up-to-date map than the ones Iyan al-Baghdadi's been making that's focused on Tripoli? I'm trying to follow along and get a sense of where Ghadaffi's base is, where the Khamis Brigade is stationed, and where protesters are marching on the city from...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So Gaddifi apparently said this in his speech:

quote:

Disbelief in Tripoli about Col Gaddafi's speech, from Ali Tweel , who has been tweeting regularly on events there: "he said it in public on Libyan TV, he is giving weapons to all his supporters and let Libya become a red fire. I can't believe my ears".

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
What is the CQ you guys refer to as being condemned by the UN?

EDIT: Colonel Qadaffi I guess?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Apparently people are saying on Twitter is the speech was given at his compound, not Green Square.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Dumping more weapons into the hands of the people is such a bad idea.
Not even talking about the fighting between protesters/army/mercenaries. Once Gaddafi has fallen, the dispute between the control of the nation comes next, and when the population is flooded with weapons, disputes can easily lead to more fighting.

Why sit down and discuss why I'm right and you're wrong when I can just shoot you?

e: This leads me to another question. Can we elude that the increased in violence in Libya, relative to the uprising of other nations, be directly correlated to the lower level of education?

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From a few pages ago, but still worth saying:

Sosiz posted:

Finnish newspaper is reporting Gaddafi says someone put halluciogenes in the milk that young people drink (wtf), thus causing the riots.
In Finnish. There is the video of the speech on the bottom of the article (CNN)
Sorry if this was posted earlier

Here's a translation of this crazy-rear end story, compliments of Google Chrome:

quote:

Gaddafi: "Young people put milk in hallucinogenic drugs'
Muammar Gaddafi is looking for reasons why young people have risen against him.DAI Kurokawa
Published: 02/25/2011 7:54
Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi said on television the reasons why young people have gone to resist.
CNN's reach out to doctors, at least 17 people have been killed and about 150 wounded in yesterday's riots in Tripoli Zawiyan nearby.

Muammar Gaddafi has presented his theory about why young men have risen against his regime. Gaddafi believes that Osama bin Laden's followers are young people aivopesseet hallucinogenic drugs.

- They put the milk or other drink mix, the ruler explained.

Gadhafi also expressed his condolences to the dead Zawiyassa young parents.

- These are our children. We are saddened by this senseless lives lost for throwing, he complained.

Six protesters Zawiyassa caught up by the soldiers are on CNN that told us that they were told the city to arabimilitanttien power.

Google Chrome will translate things like this automatically for you. I'm starting to have more respect for its usefulness as a web browser, although I still prefer Firefox.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

So Gaddifi apparently said this in his speech:

Boy is his face gonna be red when everyone hes give a rifle to ends up turning on him and his mercenaries.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe I don't understand mercenaries very well, but why would they take a side that will almost certainly get slaughtered indiscriminately by an angry mob, heavily armed and fed up with 40 years of oppression? What money is worth that?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe I don't understand mercenaries very well, but why would they take a side that will almost certainly get slaughtered indiscriminately by an angry mob, heavily armed and fed up with 40 years of oppression? What money is worth that?

2000 dollars a day apparently

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Traditionally, mercenaries don't stick around when it reaches the point that they would be in serious danger to continue fighting. They basically like getting paid to kill unarmed people and do that until they start fighting back with more than rocks.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe I don't understand mercenaries very well, but why would they take a side that will almost certainly result in getting slaughtered indiscriminately by an angry mob? What money is worth that?

Human nature is a fickle business. You gotta really understand that instincts can be far more powerful than reason. It's normally what separates us from the other animals on our planet.
Unfortunately, that use of reason is often forgone for the benefit of personal immediate gain.
For most of our civilization, the value of individual human life is worth very little. And if these mercs can make some quick money and get out, they will.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm betting the vast majority of them have taken the money and are convinced they'll A) win because they have guns or B) blend into the crowd when poo poo gets chaotic and try to make their escape. Element B is going to have a significantly terrible effect on the the number of people in group A because people are sheep, even if they have guns.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Zappatista posted:

Anyone know if there's a more up-to-date map than the ones Iyan al-Baghdadi's been making that's focused on Tripoli? I'm trying to follow along and get a sense of where Ghadaffi's base is, where the Khamis Brigade is stationed, and where protesters are marching on the city from...

Someone posted this one on Twitter a while back. I wish it was more detailed though.

Full size: http://twitpic.com/43m0j9/full

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I doubt the mercenaries in question are glued to CNN or Twitter. They might not realize that they're on the losing side.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SauceNinja posted:

I'm betting the vast majority of them have taken the money and are convinced they'll A) win because they have guns or B) blend into the crowd when poo poo gets chaotic and try to make their escape. Element B is going to have a significantly terrible effect on the the number of people in group A because people are sheep, even if they have guns.
Oh, so their plan for getting out is to blend into the crowd, that's the part I didn't get. I was thinking "How are they gonna get out of the country once the protesters have taken over the airports and roads and stuff?"

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Sivias posted:

e: This leads me to another question. Can we elude that the increased in violence in Libya, relative to the uprising of other nations, be directly correlated to the lower level of education?

I think we can blame the more intense violence compared to other revolts on the fact that (part of) the army actually sided with the dictator this time. It has nothing to do with education.

OptimusMatrix posted:

2000 dollars a day apparently

That would be a nice dent in my student debts...

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, so their plan for getting out is to blend into the crowd, that's the part I didn't get. I was thinking "How are they gonna get out of the country once the protesters have taken over the airports and roads and stuff?"

People on Twitter were saying Gaddafi's men were blending in with the protesters already at the protest and then turning and attacking them. Also, I've read about captured mercs (or maybe they were Libyan Gaddafi loyalists) being detained and treated almost decently.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That lil ole protest in the Ivory Coast is starting to develop into a civil war...

quote:

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations Secretary General warned on Friday that clashes across Ivory Coast have brought the world's top cocoa grower closer to the brink of a new civil war.
In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Ban Ki-moon also called on incumbent Laurent Gbagbo's camp to stop blocking and threatening U.N. peacekeepers.
Ban called on all sides in a post-election power struggle to exercise "maximum restraint."
(Reporting by Lou Charbonneau; writing by David Lewis)

It's the little revolution that could :3:

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Desperate people are pretty opportunistic. "So this guy wants to give me money to kill these people. These people want to kill this guy and celebrate. Why don't I....take the money, let them kill him, and celebrate!!"

or as stated, there's a pretty decent chance they're believing the rich guy signing the checks. The rich guy has a LOT of wool he's pulling over their eyes.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

That would be a nice dent in my student debts...

Just gotta make sure that they pay up front.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SauceNinja posted:

Desperate people are pretty opportunistic. "So this guy wants to give me money to kill these people. These people want to kill this guy and celebrate. Why don't I....take the money, let them kill him, and celebrate!!"

or as stated, there's a pretty decent chance they're believing the rich guy signing the checks. The rich guy has a LOT of wool he's pulling over their eyes.
Huh, if that's the case than I was thinking too highly of mercenaries. I figured they were people who knew how to choose their jobs better.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm not trying to troll or derail, but in the past week or so I swear I've seen a dozen different spellings of "Qadhafi". Most amusing to me was "Khadafi", the /kh/ sound isn't even close.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, if that's the case than I was thinking too highly of mercenaries. I figured they were people who knew how to choose their jobs better.

Oh god, no. The lower your moral and ethical standards are, the better mercenary you'll be - more or less.

Serpus, His name has been spelled and pronounced differently for the last 42 years since he's been in power (and probably longer). Not just goons being illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

If the reports are right, these mercs are from impoverished areas of Africa in a lot of cases. Where, $2000 is more than they've made in years if not a decade. Not to sound cynical, but at a certain point, money is more appealing than sense for the average person.

• Locked thread