Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Leperflesh posted:

I would support the UN changing its mandate to include being able to act against the wholesale murder of a group of people identified as a political organization rather than an ethnic group.

However, that is not "genocide". It's something else (and something that is also horrible) but the word genocide does have an actual meaning. It refers to the attempt to eradicate a People, defined by an ethnicity or nationality.

The systematic slaughter of any human is a horrible thing. I don't understand why there is any leeway on the subject? Is there a "Well, they haven't killed 600 people yet, so we're not gonna do anything quite yet." ?
Under what conditions is the wholesale slaughter of human beings ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Sivias posted:

The systematic slaughter of any human is a horrible thing. I don't understand why there is any leeway on the subject? Is there a "Well, they haven't killed 600 people yet, so we're not gonna do anything quite yet." ?

It's his own people AND it's Africa... you do the math

Also, what the gently caress good are sanctions right now?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Sivias posted:

When you're suppling arms to both sides of a war to keep the reds out of course.

Things could have been a lot worse had the UN not persuaded CQ to give up his WMD program.

Jut fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 25, 2011

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sivias posted:

It is never ok. But the issue is when does the UN SC authorize intervention which is decidedly more complex.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Apology posted:

Have sanctions ever worked anywhere at any time? All sanctions will accomplish is making the little people suffer more. I suppose that at least it gives the semblance of support, but it seems to me it's as effective as lecturing your dog on how immoral it is for him to piddle on the carpet.

1. Sanctions actually forced Libya to stop supporting international terrorism in the 80s/90s, so they had the intended effect in that case.

2. Countries/the UN rarely impose broad sanctions like what happened in Iraq in the 90s, now they usually are targeted specifically at leaders, their assets, and state controlled assets.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jut posted:

They won't act because it's not in the Security councils mandate to act unless a genocide is going on.

But Russia don't import any oil from Lybia :?

Not yet, but they have been investing heavily in those sectors over the past 4 or 5 years, so they do have a vested interest in the powers that be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sivias posted:

There is a difference between "ok" and "something we agree we can respond with force against and can mobilize that force while being reasonably sure we won't just make things worse".

Add in the fact that it's a multinational summit where numerous heads of state have to agree on action before it can take place, and I think it's just not reasonable to expect such an organization - even a putative replacement for the UN that was much more effective - to agree upon and mobilize an armed military intervention in the space of a week.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I would support the UN changing its mandate to include being able to act against the wholesale murder of a group of people identified as a political organization rather than an ethnic group.

However, that is not "genocide". It's something else (and something that is also horrible) but the word genocide does have an actual meaning. It refers to the attempt to eradicate a People, defined by an ethnicity or nationality.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. A new word is required. No reason not to do that, either.
Since the word "genocide" comes from genes, ergo, ethnicity, nationality etc., eradication of political organizations, or parties, would be, umm... Partycide? No, that's dumb.

Anyways, the UN guy spoke. Nothing really new, I think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Finlander posted:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. A new word is required. No reason not to do that, either.
Since the word "genocide" comes from genes, ergo, ethnicity, nationality etc., eradication of political organizations, or parties, would be, umm... Partycide? No, that's dumb.

Crimes Against Humanity is a decent catch-all phrase (maybe too catch-all).

It's good to remember though that any military intervention would include collateral damage. If people are imagining helicopters flying into Tripoli, with blue-helmeted UN commandoes dropping down on ropes and then gunning down the mercenaries, just remember that the mercenaries look a lot like the locals, to the extent that we saw today they were using civilian cars as decoys and then surprising people and shooting them.

And of course you can't deploy troops without a supply chain to keep them armed, fed, and sheltered. You need command and control centers, fuel dumps, communications set up... all this takes personnel, which themselves have to be protected and organized.

And leaders are surely remembering the botched hostage rescue attempt in Iran back in the 70s. Nobody wants to repeat that.

So yeah, even if there was the political will and legal standing to use military force against Ghaddafi, it'd take more than three or four days to organize and the potential to backfire horribly is very real.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Furious Mittens posted:

Not yet, but they have been investing heavily in those sectors over the past 4 or 5 years, so they do have a vested interest in the powers that be.

Everyone has invested interests in the powers that be. CQ was starting to make strong ties with the west following the WMD disarmament.

It seems that whenever the UN get mentioned, the same old tired "HURRRR MEETING" and "RUSSIA!!! CHINA!!!" lines get pulled out and they irritate the hell out of me since they are the same lines that an anti-UN republican party likes to spurt out of their rear end in a top hat.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

There is a difference between "ok" and "something we agree we can respond with force against and can mobilize that force while being reasonably sure we won't just make things worse".

Add in the fact that it's a multinational summit where numerous heads of state have to agree on action before it can take place, and I think it's just not reasonable to expect such an organization - even a putative replacement for the UN that was much more effective - to agree upon and mobilize an armed military intervention in the space of a week.

I'm not saying the UN should intervene with boots on the ground, per say. I'm just trying to understand the definition.

At what point is it genocide? Is genocide worse than using anti-aircraft weapons indiscriminately on unarmed protesters? The only difference is one targets a specific race? What if the indiscriminate fire killed twice as many people as a given 'genocide'.
The gray area is all very confusing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sivias posted:

I'm not saying the UN should intervene with boots on the ground, per say. I'm just trying to understand the definition.

At what point is it genocide? Is genocide worse than using anti-aircraft weapons indiscriminately on unarmed protesters? The only difference is one targets a specific race? What if the indiscriminate fire killed twice as many people as a given 'genocide'.

International law is actually pretty complex but most of the sources are online.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Maybe it's just me but the host on AJE right now sounds like Larry King if he were British and had a stroke.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Sivias posted:

It's not really that confusing...
Targeting a specific race, religion or ethnicity = genocide
anything else = war.

The whole genocide ruling was a knee jerk reaction on the back of a recently discovered holocaust. Maybe the UN articles need revising, maybe not, but that's a whole different discussion.

The UN would be in a lovely position to intervene anyway, if they did what would they do? fight CQ? after all he is the recognised leader of the country, fight the protesters? force CQ to leave?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Sivias posted:

It doesn't actually even taking killing people to be considered genocide.

Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide posted:

imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lareous posted:

Maybe it's just me but the host on AJE right now sounds like Larry King if he were British and had a stroke.

That's David Frost of Frost/Nixon fame.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lareous posted:

How the gently caress does somebody know about Al Jazeera English but not know David Frost?

Turtle Necromancer
Nov 27, 2003

by T. Finn

Sivias posted:

Does anyone else get a Mr. Miyagi vibe from Ban Ki-Moon? Seems like such a nice guy. Like the Asian grandfather i'll never have. :(

He is actually an autocratic blundering bureaucrat moron with the charisma of a wet mop that surrounds himself with yes-men and is very disliked by pretty much everyone else in the UN. He was specifically picked by the US and other SC nations because they do not want the UN to have a strong and charismatic leader.

Your imaginary grandfather sucks

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Jut posted:

It's not really that confusing...
Targeting a specific race, religion or ethnicity = genocide
anything else = war.

Why is it every single post of yours is a simplistic naive interpretation of reality?

If the government publicly executed one man for the cause of only having blue eyes, would that be genocide? War? What if they did it to a village of 15? It's not so easy to understand as "Black - white... done."

e: ^^ Awww. I know nothing of the UN politics, but this makes me sad.

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gosh I'd forgotten all about how useful Wikileaks could be in providing us with information that reflects on current events. Here's a cable from today:

quote:

¶1. (S) Summary. Libyan leader Muammar al-Qadhafi told visiting \
Commander of U.S. Africa Command General William Ward that Libya \
supported the establishment of common African institutions, such \
as an African Ministry of Defense, and expressed hope that the \
Obama administration would not pursue a policy of military \
intervention in Africa, as he felt a U.S. military presence on \
the continent could be a trigger for terrorism. Al-Qadhafi said \
he hoped President Obama could travel to Libya in early July to \
address the African Union summit, as well as meet him at the G-8 \
conference in Italy later in the month. Al-Qadhafi expressed a \
desire for cooperation with U.S. Africa Command in the fields of \
counter-terrorism and counter-piracy. Gen. Ward's meeting with \
Foreign Minister Musa Kusa reported septel. End Summary. \

¶5. (S) In response to Gen. Ward's profession of respect for the \
sovereignty of African countries, al-Qadhafi said he understood \
the U.S. position, but questioned the U.S. military presence in \
Djibouti, noting military power would be used by extremists to \
justify terror. He then proceeded to identify two sources of \
terrorism, Wahabism and Switzerland. Qadhafi stated that the \
Swiss banking system was used to fund terrorists, and proposed \
that Switzerland be split among its neighboring countries, \
according to language.
\

http://wikileaks.arane.us/cable/2009/05/09TRIPOLI417.html

And here's a list of the cables just from the embassy in Tripoli:

http://wikileaks.arane.us/origin/22_0.html

I'm going to try and read through these later. There's also a great deal of information available on the other countries that are in revolt right now, but you have to search by the location of the embassy, not the name of the country.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Akuma posted:

How the gently caress does somebody know about Al Jazeera English but not know David Frost?

It's been a while since I saw that movie and I only have a vague recollection of it. I live in the deep South, the internet is my only respite for sane political discussion and education :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sivias posted:

Why is it every single post of yours is a simplistic naive interpretation of reality?

If the government publicly executed one man for the cause of only having blue eyes, would that be genocide? War? What if they did it to a village of 15? It's not so easy to understand as "Black - white... done."

It depends, are the people being executed the total amount of people who have blue eyes, or is it just a one-off? Because irrational hatred is less irrational if you don't wipe out the entire group.

(I am being facetious to point out the absurdity of arguing over the definition of "genocide". If someone is murdering a lot of people does it really matter if it's over racial or political grounds? He's still murdering people)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Lareous posted:

It's been a while since I saw that movie and I only have a vague recollection of it. I live in the deep South, the internet is my only respite for sane political discussion and education :(
Oh sorry :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

euphronius posted:

Also while it is true the UN SC can in theory do pretty much anything it wants the UN Charter does contain specific language which says the the UN should not intervene in affairs in the domestic jurisdiction of a member state. This idea also has high customary law precedence as well.

Otherwise the UN would have intervened when Bill Clinton used poisonous gas to kill the Davidian Branch and when he murdered all the negroes in California.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It depends, are the people being executed the total amount of people who have blue eyes, or is it just a one-off? Because irrational hatred is less irrational if you don't wipe out the entire group.

(I am being facetious to point out the absurdity of arguing over the definition of "genocide". If someone is murdering a lot of people does it really matter if it's over racial or political grounds? He's still murdering people)

That's exactly my point. Genocide or not, it's wrong, and trying to define an arbitrary level of needless and senseless murder in order to decide if it's right or wrong (or acceptable not to take action of any level) seems impotent.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Sivias posted:

These are questions that you could have found the answers out for yourself if you took the time to read up on it, it really isn't difficult. Your questions have been answered in international courts. 10 minutes on wikifuckingpedia would tell you all you need to know regarding genocide.
I put it in simple terms because I'm not your college professor.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

10:12am Germany is preparing sanctions against Libyan leaders over the attacks on protesters, Guido Westerwelle, Germany's foreign minister, said on Friday ahead of a UN Security Council meeting.

"It's no longer about setting deadlines, it's about acting now," Westerwelle told Deutschlandfunk radio. "Therefore I have decided that sanctions should be prepared now."

The time for action is now!!

Is there no negative effect to politicians effectively doing nothing about a situation but pretending to be taking a stand. Christ.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Wikileaks posted:

Qadhafi stated that the \
Swiss banking system was used to fund terrorists, and proposed \
that Switzerland be split among its neighboring countries, \
according to language. \

wh-
Hold on, let me reread that.
what

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Sivias posted:

That's exactly my point. Genocide or not, it's wrong, and trying to define an arbitrary level of needless and senseless murder in order to decide if it's right or wrong (or acceptable not to take action of any level) seems impotent.

The UN is bound by it's articles. The definition and nitty gritty of what constitutes genocide is the core of the matter here, since it's what's limiting the UN's ability to intervene. Of course it's much easier to shout out "hhuuuurr letters!" and "China! Russia!" instead of taking the time to educate yourself about the thing you're criticising.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Finlander posted:

A couple already exist. Democide usually means "government-sanctioned murder of it's own people", while politicide can be used to describe mass-murdering political opponents (although it can also mean the death of a political system, like the dismantlement of the apartheid state in South Africa, or political suicide).

Apology
Nov 12, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's a short article with a bunch of really nice pictures from inside of Libya:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/libya_unrest_and_uncertainty.html

I encourage you all to click through to see the pictures. None of them are ghastly.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Dieting Hippo posted:

Any other sources on this? It's an Iranian site, which is why I'm a bit skeptical, but they they are reporting that Saif (Gaddafi's youngest son) has joined the protesters: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/166900.html

It should be noted that this was talking about his son Saif al-Arab, and not the one we've been seeing and hearing about, Saif al-Islam.

Still no idea if there's any truth to it though.

Ashmole posted:

That's the safest way. It's a "qaaf" not an Egyptian "jeem"...unless Libyans use the "g" sound for "qaaf".

Actually, there are several groups that may render the qaf sounding more like jeem or geem, including Egyptians from the صعيد (Upper Egypt), Libyans, and Gulf Arabs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Only a loving retard would say that there is a genocide going on in Libya right now. Sometimes, civil war is just civil war even if it's not civil.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

11:27am Al Jazeera Arabic has learned that intensive discussions are under way between defected Libyan political leaders, including ambassadors and ministers who have stepped down, to form a political body to lead the country.

Not so sure the ambassadors that stepped down should really be involved in politics anymore. Best case scenario that sat complacent to a lot of horrible poo poo, waiting for the people to stand for themselves.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

sweeptheleg posted:

Not so sure the ambassadors that stepped down should really be involved in politics anymore. Best case scenario that sat complacent to a lot of horrible poo poo, waiting for the people to stand for themselves.

What the hell were they supposed to do? Speak up against Gaddafi and get themselves and their families shot?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Nenonen posted:

Only a loving retard would say that there is a genocide going on in Libya right now. Sometimes, civil war is just civil war even if it's not civil.

Indeed.

sweeptheleg posted:

Thats for the people to decide.
My personal preference would be to see a technocracy arise, it's never been tried before on a national level and could address many of the weaknesses with democracy.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Jut posted:

Indeed.

I guess it's fine if Qaddafi bombs peaceful protesters and has the capability of dumping mustard gas on them. Oh, let's not forget he's hired international mercenaries to partake in this 'civil war'.

Quit being a douche. Genocide or not, what is happening is atrocious act and the international community shouldn't view it as anything less than that.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's not like genocide is worse than a crime against humanity, stop viewing it as a continuum, they're just different things.

redscare posted:

What the hell were they supposed to do? Speak up against Gaddafi and get themselves and their families shot?

I agree with Jut's point, but my feeling is that a guy like Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, who served for decades in Gaddafi's government and only resigned when it became clear Gaddafi was going down, doesn't have that much credibility.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Sivias posted:

I guess it's fine if Qaddafi bombs peaceful protesters and has the capability of dumping mustard gas on them. Oh, let's not forget he's hired international mercenaries to partake in this 'civil war'.

Quit being a douche. Genocide or not, what is happening is atrocious act and the international community shouldn't view it as anything less than that.
Enough with the drama, his mustard gas reserves were destroyed years ago, now you're treading into the "BUT HE STILL HAS WMD!!!1" territory that bush used to justify going into iraq (whoops didn't find any!).
What's happening is what happens during a civil war when someone has their back up against a wall. It's not nice, it's not pretty, but it's going to happen.

you never answered the following by the way

me making a point earlier posted:

The UN would be in a lovely position to intervene anyway, if they did what would they do? fight CQ? after all he is the recognised leader of the country, fight the protesters? force CQ to leave?

quote:

I agree with Jut's point, but my feeling is that a guy like Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, who served for decades in Gaddafi's government and only resigned when it became clear Gaddafi was going down, doesn't have that much credibility.
And I'd hope the people see straight through that, although it's not always the case, the people "elected" the same people who were loving them for decades before the revolution here in Romania.

Jut fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Xandu posted:

Or maybe he could deal with the garden-variety repression but wanted nothing do with the wholesale slaughter

• Locked thread