Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Also, center width on handlebars, is that measured from the center or outside edges of the clamps? As in, I measured the handlebar clamps and from outside edge to outside edge as 4.8 inches, and from center to center on the clamps it is 4.0 inches. Can I fit handlebars with a center width of 4 inches or do I need a minimum of 4.8 - 5.0 inches. Not only might this be an unfortunate limiting factor, but a ton of places don't list the center width on bars they're selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Bay area goons: What's the approximate hourly rate for shop labor?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Angra Mainyu posted:

Either your arm or your leg. Your choice. Preferably both.

Just kidding, but I can imagine it isn't cheap.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Angra Mainyu posted:

75-100?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Angra Mainyu posted:

I think i've seen somewhere for ~60 an hour, it goes up to 100$ depending on the shop and location.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20626&page=69

Give Shawn here a call, hes pretty awesome, charges around 50$/hour and will travel to you.

I could probably help you with some minor things as well depending on where you are :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've got a good lead on an 07 GSXR 600/750 front end for my Bandit. According to yon internnette, that swap will drop the front end 2.5 to 3 inches. I've probably got at least 2 inches of preload in my rear shock (which is also an 07 GSXR 1000 unit). If I take that preload out, and put the new front end on, give or take that 0.5 inches, all should be good, geometry-wise, correct?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phat_Albert posted:

I've got a good lead on an 07 GSXR 600/750 front end for my Bandit. According to yon internnette, that swap will drop the front end 2.5 to 3 inches. I've probably got at least 2 inches of preload in my rear shock (which is also an 07 GSXR 1000 unit). If I take that preload out, and put the new front end on, give or take that 0.5 inches, all should be good, geometry-wise, correct?

It'll still be lower and have less ground though, won't it? I think to keep the geometry correct you'll need a shouldered top triple clamp.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
More of a track question, but how do you guys handle really long corners with few reference points? I always find myself having a poo poo line or inconstant... especially the slow corners. The bike doesn't feel like it settles or is as stable, but I guess that would come down to throttle control?

For example, turn 4 at Firebird East

I loving hate this corner, I feel like I lose a lot of time there but I'm able to make up a lot in 8, 9, and 10.

There is also a corner at my old ride spot that is the same.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 27, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

What specifically are you asking? As long as you're going inside at the first corner to the outside / midtrack-ish back to inside you should be fine. Depending on how wide that straight section is between the corners you can go further outside to carry speed most likely.

If that corner is just one long corner and not two right angles then your problem becomes holding a line. I find that sometimes on sharp u-turn corners it's harder to hold a line if you aren't going in fairly quick. You're going to have a tendency to stand the bike back up if you go in slow without enough speed to keep leaned over.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

What specifically are you asking? As long as you're going inside at the first corner to the outside / midtrack-ish back to inside you should be fine. Depending on how wide that straight section is between the corners you can go further outside to carry speed most likely.

If that corner is just one long corner and not two right angles then your problem becomes holding a line. I find that sometimes on sharp u-turn corners it's harder to hold a line if you aren't going in fairly quick. You're going to have a tendency to stand the bike back up if you go in slow without enough speed to keep leaned over.
All of the racers begin their turnin extemely late and right at the edge of the track treating it as one corner. Finding a line and staying on it is my issue because it's so long.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

In that case I'd probably stay fairly wide before turn 4, turn in and stay towards the middle-outside of the turn and try to work on arcing back in to make the turn again. Like I said I'd try to stay on the gas and go in quickly so you that you don't stand it back up. If that doesn't work, have you tried staying wide, going in tight and coming back outside hard and standing it up to set yourself up for the second identical turn?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

More of a track question, but how do you guys handle really long corners with few reference points? I always find myself having a poo poo line or inconstant... especially the slow corners. The bike doesn't feel like it settles or is as stable, but I guess that would come down to throttle control?

I personally would treat this as a late turn-in, single apex corner just because it's less to think about. With a sweeper like this it's probably very tempting to do unnecessary midcorner corrections which always hurts consistency, so a single apex means you're committing to one turn-in, one line. Also means you only have to worry about doing a smooth roll-on after your steering input. This makes it easy to troubleshoot - if you're going neutral on the gas during the corner or making steering corrections, alter your turn-in or line appropriately.

I also think a late turn-in will help you get the most drive out of it for the following straight.

The lack of visual refs might be a bitch, they got anything even like tar snakes or braking markers?

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 28, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Do you have video of that corner?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So my bike got impounded because I had it parked in the street with no registration and insurance on it(let it lapse because shifter is hosed up and I can't ride it right now). It's definitely my fault but my question is will I be able to get the bike out with out registering and insuring it? I'm going to have to put it in the back of a pick-up anyway so I don't really want to pay for that stuff right now. I don't want to let it sit in impound because the DMV is closed tomorrow anyway. I'm in New Jersey and I'm a stupid dick.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
youtubes showed me it, a bit before 50secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIVLff5R0U

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

youtubes showed me it, a bit before 50secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIVLff5R0U

Hahaha, that is Ted, owner of AzTrackday. I think his reputation has probably spread all over the internet at this point.
Here is a better video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O7dghAiUFg 1:40

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 28, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KidDynamite posted:

So my bike got impounded because I had it parked in the street with no registration and insurance on it(let it lapse because shifter is hosed up and I can't ride it right now). It's definitely my fault but my question is will I be able to get the bike out with out registering and insuring it? I'm going to have to put it in the back of a pick-up anyway so I don't really want to pay for that stuff right now. I don't want to let it sit in impound because the DMV is closed tomorrow anyway. I'm in New Jersey and I'm a stupid dick.
Can't speak to new jersey, but get it out as fast as possible, those impound fees stack up fast!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Z3n posted:

Can't speak to new jersey, but get it out as fast as possible, those impound fees stack up fast!

Yeah I'm going to call them up tomorrow and see if I can pick it up in my friends pick-up. If not I'll have to wait until at least Tuesday to get the registration done. I was just wondering if anyone knew about getting it out of the lot without having that stuff.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I have absolutely zero experience with motorcycles but I'm steadily growing more interested, so I have a question:

For someone who finds the idea of riding a motorcycle thrilling but also somewhat scary as gently caress, will reading the PA Motorcycle Operator Manual and taking the permit test prepare me for the MSF course? I don't know anyone else with a motorcycle, and I've never been on one so... I really have no idea what to expect. I'm a completely blank slate here. An enthusiastic, nervous slate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

I have absolutely zero experience with motorcycles but I'm steadily growing more interested, so I have a question:

For someone who finds the idea of riding a motorcycle thrilling but also somewhat scary as gently caress, will reading the PA Motorcycle Operator Manual and taking the permit test prepare me for the MSF course? I don't know anyone else with a motorcycle, and I've never been on one so... I really have no idea what to expect. I'm a completely blank slate here. An enthusiastic, nervous slate.
Riding a bicycle for a couple will prepare you more since it will help with balance. They teach you all the laws and the stuff in the operator manual at the course.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

The basic principles are as for bicycles, which hopefully you've ridden before.

However, even if you're an experienced cyclist, it takes time to get used to the relative weight and velocity of a motorcycle. Combine that with the fact that you also have to operate a clutch, a throttle, and change gears (hopefully!), which adds to your "workload" when you're adjusting to the difference balance characteristics of a motorcycle.

Once you are used to it and riding regularly, you stop being able to feel a real difference in control weight between bicycle and motorcycle, except maybe at very low speed.

So while reading the operator manual will help, you really need to practice off road (by which I mean off the public road, not off paved roads!) for a bit on some kind of motorcycle before doing any sort of test, even if as above you're experienced with bicycles.

All I would add is that if you have no m/c experience, don't try to get a pillion ride to give you a taste of riding. It doesn't really. Aside from not having any control, which is pretty disconcerting when you're not used to being on a powered 2-wheeler, you're sitting way far from the centre of gravity and you're really loosely coupled with the mass of the machine.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

When I started, I had my bike before I took the permit course so I just practised starting and stopping in my driveway and that was a big help. I had never ridden a motorcycle either, but I had been on bicycles since longer than I can remember.

Also, when you decide that you want to keep riding, and you buy a bike, don't spend all your money on the bike and then cheap out on gear. You say you find it a bit scary, and safe motorcycling is about reducing the risk. Wearing gear and taking the MSF course both reduce the risk, so you are off to a good start with the course.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So just to let you guys know the state of New Jersey really knows how to gently caress you. If you get impounded for no insurance you have to show the the permanent insurance card for your policy. You can't use the stuff you print off the internet or that the insurance company faxes over to you. So basically you have to wait the 7-10 days and pay storage for all those days. Luckily I have a FedEx account and Progressive is going to overnight it to me but that's a load of horseshit if I ever loving saw one.

To the guy that's never ridden before. Just be gentle with the throttle and be aware that you need to clutch in to stop. Keep in mind the msf bikes are all weak as hell so you may have to give them more throttle but this will not apply to anything bigger or sportier.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Fifty Three posted:

will reading the PA Motorcycle Operator Manual and taking the permit test prepare me for the MSF course? I don't know anyone else with a motorcycle, and I've never been on one so... I really have no idea what to expect. I'm a completely blank slate here. An enthusiastic, nervous slate.
The MSF is more or less designed for you. As they've said, bicycles will help you understand balance and leaning and such, but they cover all that anyway. You really don't need to do stuff to prepare for the MSF. The MSF prepares you to do stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seconding riding a bicycle a whole bunch before the MSF. If you fail they'll let you take it again. I had zero experience on a motorcycle or with a manual transmission when I took the MSF and I did just fine. All of the MSF ridercoaches I know do not recommend riding a motorcycle before you take the course because it's really easy to develop bad habits that will seriously hamper your progression through the course. It's best to ride a bicycle a whole bunch and show up as a blank slate when it comes to motorcycles.

Fwiw, one of the rider coaches has been doing it for a long time, and the failure rate is 100% for those who did not know how to ride a bicycle before coming to MSF. The biggest cause of failure among new riders is getting flustered and not relaxing, once people start tensing up they have difficulty learning.

Edit:

Phat_Albert, what's the rake and trail of a B12? I'd look it up but I'm on my phone.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 28, 2011

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks, dudes. I've been on a bicycle longer than I can remember so no problem there, but like Saga said it's the relative weight and velocity that concerns me. I'm used to the idea of a clutch though, at least. I've driven a friend's ATV before and my only vehicle is a 5-speed truck. I'll just have fun with it. :)

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 28, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Sounds like you're relatively prepared then. Like I said, once you adjust to it, you stop noticing the weight of the "bike". It's actually just being used to how it carries its weight and also having to ride the thing while getting used to operating clutch/brakes/gears. It's not like you have to physically wrestle it around corners (unless you buy an antique Kawasaki Mach III triple ) - a modern motorcycle with fat tyres, an enormously stiff frame and also a crankshaft spinning merrily away just below the c of g is a lot more stable and less "fidgety" at 100mph than, say, a road bike on skinny rubber is at 30.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
Finally took delivery of my new Street Triple yesterday (drat Los Angeles winter!), and promptly put a hundred miles on her. After pulling into the driveway, and playing around with all the functions of the instrument cluster, I realized there's at least one flaw with the bike: where the hell is the fuel gauge? I have a gear indicator, instantaneous MPG readout, and even a lap timer. But no fuel gauge.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

wilkenm posted:

drat Los Angeles winter!

shut up.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

wilkenm posted:

Finally took delivery of my new Street Triple yesterday (drat Los Angeles winter!), and promptly put a hundred miles on her. After pulling into the driveway, and playing around with all the functions of the instrument cluster, I realized there's at least one flaw with the bike: where the hell is the fuel gauge? I have a gear indicator, instantaneous MPG readout, and even a lap timer. But no fuel gauge.

Why the hell do you care about a fuel gauge? My 02 Yamaha R6 has a low fuel light that kicks when I have one gallon left in the tank. The odometer changes to a new trip meter to let me know how long I'm riding with low fuel.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Crayvex posted:

Why the hell do you care about a fuel gauge? My 02 Yamaha R6 has a low fuel light that kicks when I have one gallon left in the tank. The odometer changes to a new trip meter to let me know how long I'm riding with low fuel.

Because that's what I'm used to? I honestly thought all bikes modern bikes with and LCD instrument cluster would have a fuel gauge, but that's clearly wrong.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

wilkenm posted:

Because that's what I'm used to? I honestly thought all bikes modern bikes with and LCD instrument cluster would have a fuel gauge, but that's clearly wrong.

If you know your MPG it's easy to gauge when you need gas. Just reset the trip odometer when you refuel and you'll know how many miles you've gone and when to get gas.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Doesn't it have a fuel light? Most modern bikes have a fuel light, very few bikes have an actual gauge.

My old bike had no fuel gauge or fuel light - so refilling every 200km has become instinct to me.

Kyon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 28, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bikes rarely have fuel gauges these days, I'd imagine it's because they're generally hopelessly inaccurate due to the odd shapes of motorcycle fuel tanks.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

wilkenm posted:

There's also an average MPG on the trip-meter. Owner's manual says the low fuel light kicks in at 3L, which is about .7 gallons. Do some quick math, and you'll know how far you have to go from that point.

Full tank is 17.4L (4.5G), and you can calculate that too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Crayvex posted:

Wow Yamaha should clue Kawasaki in on that. When my ninja gets low the odometer starts blinking FUEL and doesn't let you change it back, so you don't how far you can go or are going. It has a programmable stopwatch for lap times, though. :downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My VFR has a fuel gauge which fluctuates by about a quarter of a tank which is not terribly useful.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gnaghi posted:

Wow Yamaha should clue Kawasaki in on that. When my ninja gets low the odometer starts blinking FUEL and doesn't let you change it back, so you don't how far you can go or are going. It has a programmable stopwatch for lap times, though. :downs:

Press the mode button and it will switch back to your trip meter... at least this is what my Kawi does.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

BlackMK4 posted:

Press the mode button and it will switch back to your trip meter... at least this is what my Kawi does.

They fixed it with your generation I think (you've got one of the fancy new ones IIRC).

The older Ninjas just stay stuck on FUEL until you fill up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah you can't change it for the 05s at least, cause I remember repeatedly trying to on the way to work while getting more worried cause I didn't have time to stop. I made it 160 miles, fuel light came on at 130.