Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

There's... a button to tip your hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Tommofork posted:

There's... a button to tip your hat?

It's a skill you can upgrade like the taunt in Blood on the Sand.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Apparently I missed out on a lot in this game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/957922-red-dead-redemption/54950470

I didn't know a quarter of the poo poo on that list. Time to go pick some drunken barfights.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tommofork posted:

Apparently I missed out on a lot in this game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/957922-red-dead-redemption/54950470

I didn't know a quarter of the poo poo on that list. Time to go pick some drunken barfights.

quote:

Right or Left on the D-Pad switches the shoulder-view for shooting

:doh:

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Random question with a big endgame spoiler attached: I know about playing as Jack Marston after you finish the story, but can you still play stranger missions? I still have to do Daedalus and Son but don't want to bother doing a tedious beaver hunt just yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can, with the exception of the Strange Man missions, so best finish those before the end. There's also an additional stranger mission that opens up only afterwards.

I was in the same situation actually, with Daedalus and Son still left to finish, and I always thought it was slightly amusing to see Jack casually walk up to the guy and drop the beaver skins and flowers his father promised to bring three years ago, implying that the guy had been patiently waiting all this time next to his half-finished apparatus on this godforsaken, wolf-infested mountain.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The one stranger mission in Mexico where that one guy wants you to find some treasure or something, if you start it as John and end it as Jack, the dude will comment on how you look different than before. Or so I've heard, haven't tested it out myself yet.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

The one stranger mission in Mexico where that one guy wants you to find some treasure or something, if you start it as John and end it as Jack, the dude will comment on how you look different than before. Or so I've heard, haven't tested it out myself yet.

He does. Some strangers have different comments if you finish their missions as Jack.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Goddamnit, now that I'm at the "kill two cougars with the melee knife" challenge, the cougars have made an alliance with the wolves. As soon as I step off my horse I've got a wolf gnawing on my arm, then cougar death out of nowhere. Happened twice in a row now.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Well, I'm about an hour into Undead Nightmare and I just met Herbert Moon. Reading the thread title, I had no idea who the character was and expected him to end up appearing as the big baddie at the end of the main game, but what he actually was was, well...I can't say I expected to walk up and hear THAT.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

quote:

Hogtie a victim, dump bait next to them, and watch "When Animals Attack!"

I know what i'll be doing a lot of today.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

jackpot posted:

Goddamnit, now that I'm at the "kill two cougars with the melee knife" challenge, the cougars have made an alliance with the wolves. As soon as I step off my horse I've got a wolf gnawing on my arm, then cougar death out of nowhere. Happened twice in a row now.

The worst is scouting for cougars on your horse, only to hear "rrow!" have it suddenly collapse from beneath you.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
So I started a new playthrough this week, first time I'd loaded up RDR in months. Now, I've got a 100% playthrough, and in that run it had been a long time since I'd died to a bear or a cougar.

Anyway, just after I help Marshall Johnson apprehend Walton and I'm getting all my RDR instincts back, both John and the Kentucky Saddler collapse and start sliding down a hill. I knew the cougar was circling for the finish just as I knew there was nothing I could do to stop it.

rear end in a top hat cougars aren't supposed to be in that region, goddamnit.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

gwaaargh posted:

The worst is scouting for cougars on your horse, only to hear "rrow!" have it suddenly collapse from beneath you.
A couple days ago I killed a cougar that way when my (dead) horse fell on top of him. My satisfaction was short lived, since the other cougar killed me before I could even get up.

One of the best deaths was by bear, though. I'm trying to get the "kill bears with one shot" challenge, and I'm on my horse leading this bear along so I can get a shot at him with my sniper rifle. So I've got no peripheral vision at all, when suddenly I go flying through the air; the last thing I see when I'm spinning through the air is the second bear that had snuck up on me from the side. Felt like Luke Skywalker at the beginning of Empire.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

isk posted:

So I started a new playthrough this week, first time I'd loaded up RDR in months. Now, I've got a 100% playthrough, and in that run it had been a long time since I'd died to a bear or a cougar.

Anyway, just after I help Marshall Johnson apprehend Walton and I'm getting all my RDR instincts back, both John and the Kentucky Saddler collapse and start sliding down a hill. I knew the cougar was circling for the finish just as I knew there was nothing I could do to stop it.

rear end in a top hat cougars aren't supposed to be in that region, goddamnit.

Yeah they're up in the northern parts of New Austin and they always seem to gently caress me up as soon as I forget it.

Ace of Knaves
May 8, 2009
If anyone is interested in getting any Trophies, challenges, or especially Golden Guns, add me to your friends list (PSN: Knaves_77). Me and a couple of friends are doing this now, and the more people you have (at least for the Golden Guns), the easier it is.

We're usually on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, around 7 CST.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Behonkiss posted:

Well, I'm about an hour into Undead Nightmare and I just met Herbert Moon. Reading the thread title, I had no idea who the character was and expected him to end up appearing as the big baddie at the end of the main game, but what he actually was was, well...I can't say I expected to walk up and hear THAT.

Wait...you're playing UN before vanilla RDR?

:ughh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh yeah, that never occurred to me as well when I read his post yesterday. You don't wanna play Undead Nightmare first. To late now but for anyone who hasn't played RDR yet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Far as I recall Herbert Moon is only ever identified in poker games and when someone robs his store. It's probably entirely possible to play the main game and never learn his name.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's probably entirely possible to play the main game and never learn his name.
Haha no, it's not. You may not play him in poker, you may not help him get his money back, but it's impossible not to learn his name.

quote:

IT'S HERBERT MOOOOOOOOOOON! I'm Herbert Moon, I've just been robbed!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Probably posted before, but this is why you don't gently caress with Herbert moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGc8y_suo9E

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Sco Dylan posted:

Wait...you're playing UN before vanilla RDR?

:ughh:

Nope, I beat the normal campaign before starting Undead Nightmare. I had just forgotten about the name Herbert Moon until he showed up.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Funny, getting booted from a PvP match for "connection issues with other players" just as I'm winning.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Behonkiss posted:

Nope, I beat the normal campaign before starting Undead Nightmare. I had just forgotten about the name Herbert Moon until he showed up.

Ahh, thank goodness.

Now you really wanna have some fun? Load up vanilla RDR, go to Herbert Moon's shop, punch him a few times til he knocks down, then pull a gun on him but don't shoot. He'll pull his gun and start shooting at you. Just run and hide, and watch as the lawmen swarm Mr. Moon. He's like loving Rambo. It takes like 10 guys to take him down.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone want to play some private Free Roam? I wanted to get some achievements and figured there might be people here who like me love achievements. It's on 360 my GT is nickodomus

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

The Crossdressing Cop with the .45
Just finished the bigfoot quest on Undead Nightmare, feel like a huge jerk. :smith:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kaji posted:

Just finished the bigfoot quest on Undead Nightmare, feel like a huge jerk. :smith:

Dude, they eat BABIES.

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

Dude, they eat BABIES.

Somehow I believe what the bigfoot tells me more that whatever Herbert Moon ever told me.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Kaji posted:

Somehow I believe what the bigfoot tells me more that whatever Herbert Moon ever told me.

Why would you believe a confirmed Eater of Babies over that clearly on-the-ball trapper?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

The "just following orders" defense didn't save the Nazis at Nuremberg, you know. Do you do everything you're told to?

I let the last Bigfoot live. :smug:

So he could live out a full life of loneliness and pain.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I killed that baby-eating bastard only to discover that he was also a filthy liar. There are still Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) all over the forests in my game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Yeah I saw surprised later when I found one being attacked by zombie bears and cougars.

I shot it in the leg to make it easier for the animals to take down the filthy lying sack.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Kaji posted:

It's okay because no one really likes bigfoots(feet?) anyway.

Just picked this game up again after playing it to death for like the first month it was out. It's still my absolute favorite game of all time. My housemate just bought it so we sit next to each other on the couch and just play the poo poo out of the multiplayer. I love playing cowboys so much!

The 3x XP thing yesterday was nice but it should probably have lasted a little longer. I got home from the office in time to play Warthington Range for like 45 minutes and level up a little, but not nearly as much as I would have liked to.

vvv Removed it, but spoiler tags are only allowed to be used for spoilers now anyway, so what did you expect?

That Awful Nick fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 3, 2011

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

That Awful Nick posted:

It's okay because ENDING SPOILER
That's not exactly shocking if it's true, but would you kindly cut that poo poo out? That's not nice.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
AUGH my loving 360 just shut down and gave me four red lights about an hour after I decided to do another playthrough of the main game. gently caress. poo poo. It's a second generation so it's not unexpected but dammit that doesn't make it hurt less. These things still cost 300 loving bucks.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Nathilus posted:

AUGH my loving 360 just shut down and gave me four red lights about an hour after I decided to do another playthrough of the main game. gently caress. poo poo. It's a second generation so it's not unexpected but dammit that doesn't make it hurt less. These things still cost 300 loving bucks.

If it's showing four red lights, your AV cable is probably just disconnected. Unplug and re-connect everything and try again. It's three red lights that are the sign of death. Unless you meant three lights originally in which case I feel bad for ya, son.

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

ROCKSTAR YOU ASSHOLES :argh: Let John rest.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm nearing the end of the game. I'm doing the missions at Marston's Ranch and all of them seem to involve herding loving cattle. I haven't played it in a while because I got Uncharted. I need motivation to finish it - do things get more exciting?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Chinaski posted:

I'm nearing the end of the game. I'm doing the missions at Marston's Ranch and all of them seem to involve herding loving cattle. I haven't played it in a while because I got Uncharted. I need motivation to finish it - do things get more exciting?

Sort of. You are only about 2 or 3 missions away from the end. Shouldnt take more than 20 min.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Howard Beale posted:

If it's showing four red lights, your AV cable is probably just disconnected. Unplug and re-connect everything and try again. It's three red lights that are the sign of death. Unless you meant three lights originally in which case I feel bad for ya, son.

It's four and I already tried removing and reataching the AV cable. No good. Thing just went straight out on me in the middle of a game so I'm pretty sure the cable itself is good.

• Locked thread