Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
You fucks are making me want to play Age of Empires again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Paddyo posted:

The Assyrians, Babylonians, Hittites, Sumerians, etc. would like a word...
Yeah not to mention the Greeks who ruled the area for a few hundred years after Alexander. I mean what the gently caress.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Jeez Jeremy Bowen's face as he's interviewing Gadaffi on the BBC. He almost can't believe what he's hearing! :v:

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Paddyo posted:

And the Persians, Phoenicians, and Macedonians.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ham posted:

Let the floodgates open! Habib Al Adly, former Minister of Interior and responsible for the Egyptian police, prisons and internal security forces was arrested several weeks ago and they've begun interrogating him pertaining to the events taking place between the 25th and 28th. His forces were the ones that opposed the protesters in Egypt from Jan. 25th till the 28th, killing over 300 and wounding thousands then mysteriously disappeared from the streets and prisons the evening of the 28th which caused massive chaos and looting.

So far, here's what he said:

He denied giving the order to open fire on the protesters, saying he gave his assistants on the field (police and central security commanders) broad authority to do whatever they think is appropriate to deal with the situation as they were out in the streets while he was not, and that the responsibility for the deaths lies upon these commanders, saying "I didn't call every officer to tell them to open fire!"

And in regards to the decision to open all the prisons nation-wide (prisoners in Egypt numbering tens of thousands, most of them in for rape, murder, theft or something similar) he says that the decision came from many leaders and officials in the NDP (National Democratic Party, Mubarak's party) and they demanded he cause chaos and terror in the country so the protesters would "go home".

He's also confirmed he received orders from one of the key leaders of the NDP to remove the protesters by any means necessary including shooting everyone, hiring thugs (what we saw in the camel battle) in order to kill the protest movement.

Ironically, the attorney general's office interrogated Habib Al Adly's assistants first and they defended their former minister and said the order to open fire came from low-level officers on the field, but after Habib's statement they've changed their testimonies and they're saying Habib ordered them to open fire on protesters and to open the prisons.

I really hope these arseholes get the punishment they deserve.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
All very good points, but you also have to consider that the Egyptians, although they were around for a very long time, went through several changes in power over their existence. The entire some 3500 years of Egyptian rule was broken up into several kingdoms and different power quite a few times.

But back to my main point, the idea that the status quo will last forever is like saying my sand castle will never be washed away.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Roark posted:

And the Persians, Phoenicians, and Macedonians.

Macedonians and Persians showed up afterwards. Not sure about the Phoenicians.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Confirmation the rebels have heavy armour:

quote:

CNN's Ben Wederman tweets: "Saw 13 working T-54 tanks at army base controlled by opposition forces near Ajdabiya. Most of the crews fled to Tripoli."

Hopefully they've got some people who actually know how to operate them properly.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Paddyo posted:

Pssh more like Suckmerians, Buttbylonians, Shittites, and uhh well Assyrians! Doesnt count if you aren't around to say anything.

Nations will just always believe they are the one special case that will never ever fail ever because people are dumb and like to believe what makes them feel good. Usually calling other people on their failures and insulting them.

Just look at Ghadaffi and his whole "Hey everything is fine dont mind any of that hey hey look at my shiny umbrella."

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

ChaosSamusX posted:

Macedonians and Persians showed up afterwards. Not sure about the Phoenicians.

So did most of the other empires mentioned. They all existed as empires in the broader region between the founding of the Egyptian state/culture, and the appearance of Rome. That was the point.

^^^ Since there's been defections of troops reported, surely there's someone who knows how to operate an old Soviet tank?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5ad_1298859291

This is supposedly a video of Saif Qadaffi pumping some police up to go kill protesters.

Any arabic speakers who can stand a Libyan accent able to attest to this?

Translation posted:

We are busy but still wanted to come here. I am here to raise your morale. Let me say something....listen brothers: They, the enemy forces, are spreading rumours that our police and security forces are joining the hooligans. It's not true. Today we will show them that the police is siding with Libya.

Saif:

I am bringing you reinforcements, resources, food, weapons, everything you need. We are doing well. Today I have brought you meat and rice. This is your country. We have all the resources we need, but your country needs you ...

I have%uFEFF come today to you with weapons. Tonight we will [inaudible] in Tripoli.

Crowd:

We are here with you. God%uFEFF is great. Allah, Muammar and Libya - we will sacrifice our lives for you."

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 28, 2011

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Roark posted:

Since there's been defections of troops reported, surely there's someone who knows how to operate an old Soviet tank?

Makes me wonder - how different are the working mechanics of tanks? Is it like a car? Drive one, you've basically driven them all?

I'm sure there are a lot of basics involved (forward, backward, etc.) Munitions seem like they'd be a bit more complex.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The-Mole posted:

This is supposedly a video of Saif Qadaffi pumping some police up to go kill protesters.

It's been reported on various news channels as him saying that.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

Hopefully they've got some people who actually know how to operate them properly.

They're T-54s. Lets hope they actually still work. If they do actual operation shouldn't be too hard since I believe they're pretty much designed to be easier to operate, if not exactly comfortable. Almost certainly they have enough expertise to operate/train people in their use.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Most of the young males in the country were conscripted into the armed forces. I'd say yeah, they probably got some people who know how to operate them.

Saif-Islam Qaddafi posted:

I am bringing you reinforcements, resources, food, weapons, everything you need. We are doing well. Today I have brought you meat and rice. This is your country. We have all the resources we need, but your country needs you ...

I have%uFEFF come today to you with weapons. Tonight we will [inaudible] in Tripoli.

Did he say this while riding from a giant flying stone head vomiting guns and ammunition?

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

The-Mole posted:

http://www.libyafeb17.com/?p=2975

Their Translation posted:

Saif: Wait my brothers, we are busy, but I came here specifically. Everyone, morale needs to be up high!
**Crowd chants**
Saif: My brothers, my brothers, I want to tell you something I want to tell you something. Wait my brothers. Please, listen. The people, they’re saying rumours, they’re saying that the police have ran away, that the police have joined the hooligans. Today we show them that the police are with Libya.
Crowd: God is greater!
Guys calm down!
Saif: Alright, let me tell you something
Crowd: We want weapons, we need weapons!
Saif: Listen, just listen. Reinforcements are coming to you. We’ll be bringing you means, weapons, our situation is good, we are victorious…
Crowd chant: God, Mu’ammar (Gaddafi) and Libya!
More chanting: Despicable Al Jazeera! Our leader, we want no one else!
Saif: Guys! My brothers. Today, we are NOT inviting you to rice and meat…
Crowd: This is our country! God is greater!
Saif: Listen, this is your country today!
Crowd: We’ll teach them! We’ll get it back! We’ll reclaim it back!
Crowd chant: Despicable Al Jazeera! Our leader, we want no one else!
Crowd chant: The people, want, Mu’ammar the Colonel!
Saif: I am now going to go, but I will send you all the means you require. But your country, don’t leave it to those reckless guys. Those who you will meet and face you, we’ve seen them, they’re nothing..
Crowd: Reckless guys, the ones who take the pills…
Saif: Listen my brothers, today, today, you are Tripoli.
Crowd chant: With our souls, with our blood, we sacrifice ourselves to you our leader!
Saif: Listen, I’m going now, but today, I will send you the support. And tonight, I want………..[unclear]
Crowd go insane: God, Mu’ammar and Libya!
Crowd: Keep on challening! Our only leader!

"We are not inviting you to meat and rice" is apparently a Libyan expression that refers to "taking care of business".

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Their Translation posted:

Crowd: We’ll teach them! We’ll get it back! We’ll reclaim it back!

That implies that 'it', I assume Libya, has been lost. At least not all of them are blind.

Those guys are not in an enviable position. Poor dumdums.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
NY Times reporting that Gaddafi's special forces have retaken the oil refinery at Ras Lunafa, and Feb17voices reporting that Gaddafi loyalists have shot civilians in Misrata. Would not be surprised if we saw the regime undertaking a last-ditch offensive in the coming couple of days, especially following rumors of discord and disagreement in the regime's upper echelons.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Roark posted:

http://www.libyafeb17.com/?p=2975

"We are not inviting you to meat and rice" is apparently a Libyan expression that refers to "taking care of business".

!!! Ground meat (lamb or beef) with turmeric, lemon, lentils and white raisins is my go-to dish for feeding Middle Easterners. I take it they won't be offering any tea then?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
On a lighter (?) note:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=6167220

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Nuclear Spoon posted:

On a lighter (?) note:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=6167220

To be fair, it is a bit of an eyesore. Bright Yellow and Pink with very sharp lines.
Is it a 1985 throwback tribute? Are we going to see a Halls and Oats: Man Eater cameo?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
What the hell is that terrible logo anyway?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Ham posted:

It is supposed to be 2012 in a a stylized form

As in:

Still terrible.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Disgusting things, again and again.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 3, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ham posted:

It's basically them putting in the absolute minimum amount of effort to make a logo.

"Well, we can't just put '2012' in big letters in Times New Roman. What if... now hear me out... we write '2012' on two lines, and like, Jazz it up some with one of those fonts you have to pay for? And we'll give it a drop shadow because bitches these days are ALL about the drop shadows. Oh, and stick the Olympics logo on there somewhere."

Though Iran's opposition to it is pretty hilarious. "If you squint really hard and rearrange the letters is kind of looks like 'ZION', which is offensive to us because we're antisemitic."

Yes Iran, that will win you lots of friends.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm wondering what the commanders of the air base that defected to the revolution are doing and if they are involved in/planning any sort of operations that might be directed at protecting the revolution (or breaking the regime)

That air power is a major force to be reckoned with. They are a strong deterrent to any sort of offensive taken by Gadaffi to retake positions lost.

If they have indeed defected, they could be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back. Unless the UN imposes the No-Fly Zone, these guys are a major card in the revolutions hand.

Furious Mittens fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 1, 2011

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everything is relative, I suppose. I was reading this article on France's responses to the Arab revolutions, and I'm suddenly glad for the US's timid stance.

quote:

At least 35 people had been killed by Jan. 11, when [French Minister of Foreign Affairs] Alliot-Marie shockingly offered to bolster Ben Ali's grip on power. She suggested to France's Parliament that the world-renowned "savoir-faire of our security forces" allows for the "solving of security problems of this sort." (She later clarified that she meant to help control protesters without killing them, but the distinction was lost to many people in France and Tunisia.)

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

Lisa giving Bart a blow job.

Hey, thanks. :suicide:

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Sivias posted:

Makes me wonder - how different are the working mechanics of tanks? Is it like a car? Drive one, you've basically driven them all?

I'm sure there are a lot of basics involved (forward, backward, etc.) Munitions seem like they'd be a bit more complex.

Think of all the hilarious YouTube videos that could result from a bunch of college kids trying to figure out the workings of a MBT by trial and error. In all seriousness, it doesn't matter a lick. Without training any complex weapons systems that fell into the opposition's hands are going to do more harm then good. Makes me wonder what happened to all of those military units that have supposedly defected. Sounds more like they're throwing their stuff away and going home than preparing to actively participate. It doesn't sound like there is any cohesion and certainly no command and control.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Paddyo posted:

Think of all the hilarious YouTube videos that could result from a bunch of college kids trying to figure out the workings of a MBT by trial and error. In all seriousness, it doesn't matter a lick. Without training any complex weapons systems that fell into the opposition's hands are going to do more harm then good. Makes me wonder what happened to all of those military units that have supposedly defected. Sounds more like they're throwing their stuff away and going home than preparing to actively participate. It doesn't sound like there is any cohesion and certainly no command and control.

So 300 guys is more effective than 297 guys and 3 guys in a tank they don't know how to shoot stuff with? They might be ineffective but I don't think it'll do more harm than good. I'd prefer to have the tank on my side, if for nothing else, than to absorb bullets that would otherwise be flying through my face. I do want to see those youtube videos made. It's not as much about a show of threatening force as much as a show of "We gots your tanks. What Now! What!"

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/27/king-saudi-arabia-protesters

quote:

Many have announced 11 March as the day for "revolution". Should such public protests take place, they will constitute a sign of ultimate defiance, because all political demonstrations are illegal in Saudi Arabia, punishable by lashing and imprisonment.

Very much looking forward to March 11.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/27/king-saudi-arabia-protesters

Very much looking forward to March 11.

Wow. If they actually do start doing public demonstrations in Saudi Arabia that's a BIG deal.

Though the US is so buddy buddy with them I think they would end up stepping in despite the many, many reasons why they shouldn't.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Would the United States military be able to step in? Can they afford to? They seem to be stretched out.

For some reason this reminds me of the German Wehrmacht and the Baku oilfields.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those would be a few of those many reasons I mentioned, but honestly Saudi Arabia is pretty much the last place left in the Middle East that PRETENDS to like America (they don't), and they're a huge supplier of oil, so the US might feel that they need to step in if their stability is threatened.

Even if the US doesn't do it on their own initiative, the SA government might threaten to hold back oil if they don't send military aid, thus putting direct pressure on the US and forcing them to choose between either helping an ally and pissing off the rest of the middle east even more (and if the SA government still falls, REALLY pissing off whoever replaces them), or sitting back and pissing off the current SA government and probably losing them as a "friend", but not making the rest of the middle east any angrier (and potentially ending up on neutral terms with a possible revolutionary government).

It's sort of a lose-lose situation for the US, though I can't feel too sorry for them since it's the hole they dug for themselves in the first place.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Eesh. If there's a revolt in Saudi Arabia it's going to be a bloodbath that makes Libya look like a playground scrap.

DonT15
Oct 31, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wow. If they actually do start doing public demonstrations in Saudi Arabia that's a BIG deal.

Though the US is so buddy buddy with them I think they would end up stepping in despite the many, many reasons why they shouldn't.

Yeah, it is.

Man, I don't know. For this to happen, the Saudis have to be willing to go big, or go home. And by that, I mean that there has to be thousands of them willing to do it Libya-style. That is, they need to be unafraid of imprisonment, torture, whatever. A few dozen, or even a few hundred protestors, isn't going to do the job.

King Abdullah isn't regarded as a straight-up savage dictator like Gaddafi, at least, that I know of. While there are terrible punishments for organizing and protesting, it seems that the Saudis enjoy a better average standard of living under their regime than the Libyans do under theirs. That makes me less sure that a significant amount of the population would choose to rebel in the face of severe punishment (and if they succeed, the great unknown) instead of sticking with their imperfect existence under the absolute monarchy.

Am I way off here?

Edit: Most of what I know about the king is from what I learned from being on a sports team for two years with a Saudi guy in undergrad, three or four years back. The Saudi government was paying for his education in the U.S. Since this guy was no real genius, I suppose he was probably upper-class. Thus, his statements that the king was pretty much a good guy that takes care of the country are possibly not all that credible. :3:

DonT15 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 1, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Isn't Saudi Arabia the country with Chop-Chop Square and severe oppression of their women?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Isn't Saudi Arabia the country with Chop-Chop Square and severe oppression of their women?

Saudi Arabia is basically the harshest, most oppressive regime in the entire Middle East. They don't get a lot of attention for it because they're oil buddies with the US so the media typically doesn't talk about it.

DonT15 posted:

Man, I don't know. For this to happen, the Saudis have to be willing to go big, or go home. And by that, I mean that there has to be thousands of them willing to do it Libya-style. That is, they need to be unafraid of imprisonment, torture, whatever. A few dozen, or even a few hundred protestors, isn't going to do the job.

If anything, they would have to be even BIGGER and harder than in Libya, because of the high chance of US involvement if it went to open conflict. The only thing that would keep the US out is if the protesters managed to completely topple the government and have clear control of the country in like, week 1.

Also, I once met a kid from Saudi Arabia when I was in summer camp. His father was a general or something, and he lived in a mansion with servants. He considered himself to be "Not that rich". I think the upper classes in Saudi Arabia literally have no idea how badly the poor have it, save for maybe a few that are the ones directly responsible for that situation. They're sort of like the French aristocracy there; they just kind of assume that because they're living in luxury that everyone else is doing okay and any dissent is just people being uppity.

(the kid ended up leaving camp after like 3 days. My guess is he found the standard of living at a sleep away camp too difficult. He was honestly surprised that you have to wipe your own rear end. I swear, that is actually something he said. I really, really hope he's just used to having a bidet and not that he actually has someone to wipe his rear end for him)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 1, 2011

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is something I've been warning about since the start of this thread. Keep your eye on the Saudis.

On July 15th, 1979, Jimmy Carter gave his 'Malaise' speech where he basically outlined that any interference with America's flow of oil amounts to a moral equivalent of war.

This brings me to my next point. America can't afford to let the oil stop flowing. Coincidentally, we also can't afford any more military intervention, in Saudi Arabia or elsewhere, due to our current quagmires in Iraq and Afghanistan in order secure oil. (Thanks Bush).

One of the biggest reasons why participating in an expensive war of choice is a terrible idea (don't convince yourself that it was anything other than a war of choice) is because now we're unable to focus our efforts on a real issue. Iraq was a gamble, and we lost. Well, the oil companies didn't. They made profits never seen on this planet.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

DonT15 posted:

Edit: Most of what I know about the king is from what I learned from being on a sports team for two years with a Saudi guy in undergrad, three or four years back. The Saudi government was paying for his education in the U.S. Since this guy was no real genius, I suppose he was probably upper-class. Thus, his statements that the king was pretty much a good guy that takes care of the country are possibly not all that credible. :3:

Someone from Saudi Arabia mentioned earlier that the government is basically shipping their citizens around the world to get great educations, but they fear returning home because there will be no job when they arrive.
The employment in Saudi Arabia isn't much far off from what it was in Egypt. The only difference is the country is by far more conservative than the surrounding nations and the government is more of a family. So rearranging money around to help the lower class citizens is far easier.

e: sorry for double post.

• Locked thread