Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dial M for MURDER posted:

1988 Katana on CL

"everything looks like it's all there except spark plug wires, the motor turns over, I don't know much about it, I don't know the size of the motor, 4 cylinder motor, good be a runner, buy whole or parts, call"

I called dude. He got it at an auction, clean title. No key but hey wired it up and it turns over. Asking $250 obo.

I'm looking to streetfighter a bike, and have little practical motocycle mechanical experience.

I'm thinking asking $150 with cash in hand, maybe up to $200. Looking to spend less than $1200 to get it ready. Any thoughts on price or my sanity level?

I'd probably try and start with a runner with a clean title in hand, not this auction bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Would this be your first bike? If you have another one then 200$ for a bike that can be rebuilt is p cool .

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Okay, I'm most likely going to be looking for a new bike some time this summer.
Right now I have a 2009 Vstar 250 and a 2001 SV650.
I'm definitely selling the Vstar once I've finished working on it (replacing the broken choke cable and fixing the chain length). The SV will be sold once I've made the decision to actually buy a bike. Between the two of them, I'm hoping to get betweek $2500-3000 to use as, part of, a down payment.

For my next bike, I've been leaning towards a sport or adventure touring (most likely sport). My main preference is belt or shaft drive. Power outlets and heated grips would be a plus, but they are easy enough to install. Seat comfort is another thing, as I have a boney rear end and get sore rather quickly. I'd also like hard saddlebags.

My option for a belt drive seems to be the BMW F800ST.
On the shaft side, I've looked at the Honda NT700V, Yamaha FJR (non AE models) and the Yamaha Tenere. There's the Kawasaki Concours, I know. A friend of mine has one, and it's a great bike, but it's not for me.

If I decide to go for a chain bike, my options open up a lot: Triumph Tiger (800 or 1050); Triumph Sprint; Ducati Mulistrada; Suzuki Vstrom; Suzuki Bandit; and more.

I'll be using this bike for everything: commute; tour; casual rides; around town; two up; etc. My commute, atm, is about 7-10 minutes and nothing huge. Come June, I'll most likely be moving to Seattle (on the Kitsap Peninsula right now) and will be taking the ferry. If I don't, my commute will change to about 30-60 minutes.
I want to use this bike as much as possible and will only have a car for days of extreme weather, hauling things the bike can't and certain camping or road trips.

Even on just the peninsula, I have access to all the bikes I've listed and plan to test ride as many as possible to determine which is the best fit for me.
In terms of price, I'm looking at $10,000 before or after the down (depending on new or used).

My riding experience involves the Vstar 250 and the SV650 naked. I've putted around on my friend's Shadow Phantom. I'm 6', so seat height isn't a huge problem. I've been riding since September of 2009. The only "accident" I've been in was lowsiding at 15mph in a parking lot. My riding style is usually casual, but I like to twist the trottle and toss the bike around every now and then (nothing crazy or limit pushing, though).

I'm leaning towards the FJR or NT700V. I've been looking at the FJR for a while. It doesn't feel too big, despite being a 1300 sport tourer, has a low center of gravity and a comfortable position.*
*This is based off of just sittle on the bike and what I've read.
There are usually a few FJRs around Portland, Seattle or Vancouver for between $5,000-$9,000 on Craigslist. The NT700V would have to be, more than likely, purchased new.

Are there any other bikes I've overlooked? Does anyone have any opinions on the bikes I've mentioned? Is there anything I've missed?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
How set are you really on the shaft or belt drive? Because if you're willing to waver on that, a used previous gen Multistrada is a wonderful all arounder, with available hard saddlebags. They should be pretty cheap if you can find one.

I'd budget in a few hundred for a different custom seat that fits you. It's cheap relative to the overall cost of the bike and will really pay off in comfort.

I'll also toss out the Aprilia Futura as a dark horse option that gets overlooked a lot. Rotax reliability, although occasionally finnicky gauges/electronics (that are easily fixed with some work), and hardbags plus a great looking bike. Available for 4-5k. Might be a good excuse for a fly and ride as well, plus bonus banana seat for pillion comfort.

If you're willing to really splash out, I'd potentially see if I could find a new Multistrada 1200 with ABS/TC. If I had to have one motorcycle to do it all, and supermotos were taken out of the equation, it'd be at the top of the list, no question. ABS/TC, very well balanced, easy to set up for 2 up riding or solo riding, all day comfort, power in whatever spread you want it, etc.

Of course, you're buying a hell of an expensive motorcycle, but if you're the sort that rides your bikes into the ground, it'd be well worth it as it offers a lot that's not available elsewhere.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Everyone posted:

Don't Buy It

I was afraid you would say that :) Yeah you are right though. The idea in my head is probably a lot nicer than the way reality would be. Thanks Guys

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
One of the local dealers actually has a 2005 Multistrada 1000 DS with only 9,631 miles. They've had it for some time, and wouldn't be surprised if it's still there when I go looking. List price is $7,900.
http://www.brotherspowersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=05849573X2K24K2011J3I05I54JPMQ1501R0&veh=1317320

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

One of the local dealers actually has a 2005 Multistrada 1000 DS with only 9,631 miles. They've had it for some time, and wouldn't be surprised if it's still there when I go looking. List price is $7,900.
http://www.brotherspowersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=05849573X2K24K2011J3I05I54JPMQ1501R0&veh=1317320

I probably wouldn't offer more than 5k but that's just me. That'd leave you a nice chunk of money left over.

You'd also want to check that the belts were done recently, as they can't sit for extended periods (they MUST be done every 2 years or you risk catastrophic engine damage).

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Finally got all signed up for the MSF here in Chicago for March. I'm looking around craigslist and ebay for cheap starter bikes to get practice on this summer, and I found a Buell Blast for $2200 being sold by a lady. Since I'm basically a lady myself (5'7" and 140lbs) I'm assuming it won't be underpowered. Is this a good price for a Blast?

What I really want is a Duke 690 but it's pretty pricey and also might kill me. I was also looking at SV650s since apparently they're pretty popular but unless I can find one for 2 grand that isn't leaking the Buell looks like the best bet. Thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Don't buy a buell. Not only is parts availability poo poo due to precisely zero residual support from Harley, they're vibey, uncomfortable, cheaply made, and pretty poo poo all around. I mean buell used a crushed one as a representation of how to improve the bike, it's that bad. Go for the ubiquitous ninja 250 or a gs500...if you can't find those in your area there are some other suggestions we can make :)

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Z3n posted:

Don't buy a buell. Not only is parts availability poo poo due to precisely zero residual support from Harley, they're vibey, uncomfortable, cheaply made, and pretty poo poo all around. I mean buell used a crushed one as a representation of how to improve the bike, it's that bad. Go for the ubiquitous ninja 250 or a gs500...if you can't find those in your area there are some other suggestions we can make :)

Poor Buell. About the Ninja 250 and the GS500, if possible I want to avoid sportbikes, even slow ones. They seem pretty uncomfortable and I'm not going to the track at least for a few years. I like naked/streetfighter style better, but I'd take a sportbike over a cruiser.
What about this Honda for 1500?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The early gs500s were nakeds, they only got fairings in the mid 2000s. I wouldn't recommend any bike that had a 2 year run in the US as a beginner bike due to the lack of spares and parts availability.

The 250 and the GS500 are both very upright. Not like normal sportbikes at all.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Pope Mobile posted:

Are there any other bikes I've overlooked? Does anyone have any opinions on the bikes I've mentioned? Is there anything I've missed?

Are you dead set on buying a new bike? You could pick up various BMW R or K bikes usually with luggage attachments for well under 10k.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcd/2232456845.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2229182783.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

bidikyoopi posted:

Poor Buell. About the Ninja 250 and the GS500, if possible I want to avoid sportbikes, even slow ones. They seem pretty uncomfortable and I'm not going to the track at least for a few years. I like naked/streetfighter style better, but I'd take a sportbike over a cruiser.
What about this Honda for 1500?

Any year GS500 will have an upright riding position, same goes for the ninja 250/500, only these have clipons and all years of the GS500 had a one piece handlebar unless it's an 89 model. Just because a bike has fairings doesn't mean it's a sportbike.

Seconding on not getting the Buell. I mean you're basically driving a one cylinder Harley.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

So in my search for a sumo I've given up finding anything locally and decided I'm going to look for one in the US and get it shipped up here. This gives me more selection and the fact that bikes are about 1/3 of the price in the US isn't bad either.

What are some good sites to be watching? So far I've been keeping an eye on the classified sections of supermotojunkie and advrider.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How are you going to handle shipping? I'd also check CL and local forums where your shipper is.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Z3n posted:

How are you going to handle shipping? I'd also check CL and local forums where your shipper is.

I've been looking at uship.com. It's seems easy enough, like ebay and craigslist for shippers and people that need stuff shipped.

Edit: found some other companies that handle importing and shipping and all the paperwork that comes with it.

double edit: I found a nice looking sumo in BC and I figure it would be a lot less hassle to ship within Canada. How does this look? I know it wouldn't be as reliable as something like a drz, but 90% of my riding is for fun and not to get somewhere. Also I guess I would have to keep moving to keep it cool?

http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-street-cruisers-choppers-REDUCED-CRF-450X-SUPERMOTO-firm-W0QQAdIdZ227386380

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 25, 2011

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

infraboy posted:

Are you dead set on buying a new bike? You could pick up various BMW R or K bikes usually with luggage attachments for well under 10k.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcd/2232456845.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2229182783.html

No. Not dead set. When I say "new" I mean "new to me."

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yessssssssssssssss

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yessssssssssssssss

Ah, the ubiquitous RGV special. Are you buying it?

Buy a 7/11 and you'll have the set.

e: those auction pics are the first time I've seen that square four on a bench. It really is...very square. And very clean - you should definitely buy it, paint it rattle-can matt black and wheelie it to death.

Saga fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 27, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Problem is I could probably juuuuuuuuust afford to buy it, but then I wouldn't be able to afford to take it to the track.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Problem is I could probably juuuuuuuuust afford to buy it, but then I wouldn't be able to afford to take it to the track.

Sell all the original Gamma bits that come with it to a Beardist and Suzuki pervert, problem solved. :science:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Z3n posted:

The early gs500s were nakeds, they only got fairings in the mid 2000s. I wouldn't recommend any bike that had a 2 year run in the US as a beginner bike due to the lack of spares and parts availability.

The 250 and the GS500 are both very upright. Not like normal sportbikes at all.

I like the sound of a $3k bike that doesn't depreciate a lot but I haven't seen a lot of GS500s and Ninja 250s around Chicago that haven't been destroyed by Pilsen. I'll keep an eye out. Are there any riders here from Chicago that would want to come check out a bike with me in the next few months?

Dr. Brule
Mar 5, 2009
I am interested in a 1983 Honda Interceptor on Fort Wayne IN Craigslist.
It has 12,000 miles. Listed at 800, bartered to 550. What should I examine on the bike when I look at it? This will be my first bike, I can't stand the looks of any bikes made after 1987, so this type of bike is what I'm looking for.

BLACK

Rusty Pipe

It needs both Ignition Control Boxes, found for 50 apiece in Michigan. It won't start without those, obviously, so I don't get to hear it run. He says he rode it last spring before the boxes got water inside of them.
Stupid idea? Awful bike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The old Interceptors are pretty decent rides and a first bike that runs at $650 is not bad at all. Make sure that you at least know the engine isn't seized by cranking it so you can hear it turn over.

Also, there is such a huge array of modern bikes that I find it hard to believe you hate all of them. Hell, the ZRX1200 looks exactly like that thing. Rusty headers are okay as long as there aren't any holes in it.

Also, for future reference, save the bartering for when you are in there, in person, with cash in hand. Not only can you nitpick on little things on the bike, but the fact that you actually showed up with money is a huge bargaining chip.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 28, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Dr. Brule posted:

It needs both Ignition Control Boxes, found for 50 apiece in Michigan. It won't start without those, obviously, so I don't get to hear it run. He says he rode it last spring before the boxes got water inside of them.
Stupid idea? Awful bike?
I'm always weary of any bike that won't run, no matter how bad. Will it crank over with just the starter motor? At least you can tell something from that. If you can't get it to crank or run, it could be it just needs some new $5 wiring, or it could be the dogs on some transmission gears are rounded off, it won't stay in gear, and a piston is seized along with ruined crank bearings and probably water pumps and head gaskets and who knows what. Worst case, $550 might be really overpaying if you can't learn a little more about it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Also, there is such a huge array of modern bikes that I find it hard to believe you hate all of them.
I don't! I pretty much hate everything made after 1969. This guy's standards are just a little lower. Plebs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dr. Brule posted:

I can't stand the looks of any bikes made after 1987

The introduction of the Hurricane/Ninja/Katana killed it for me.

Re: Honda V-Fours...the camshafts are made of cheese. I wouldn't touch it if I couldn't hear it run.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 1, 2011

Dr. Brule
Mar 5, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

The introduction of the Hurricane/Ninja/Katana killed it for me.

Re: Honda V-Fours...the camshafts are made of cheese. I wouldn't touch it if I couldn't hear it run.

According to some owners forums, cam issues didn't start in earnest until 1984, when honda famously released 8 factory updates in one year to the cam system.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ah, I'd not heard that. Still, $550 for a non-runner is pretty shaky.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Get a strong runner with a dented tank for your first bike. Make sure you like riding alot before deciding that you want to be a bike mechanic too.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Backstory: had a Honda CB250 (naked Trad bike) for about a year in Austin. Learned on it, really enjoyed it, but arbitrarily felt I needed something with more oomph and more highway stability, so sold it when I moved. Got a 2001 Triumph Bonneville. Loved the look, but it felt really clunk and top-heavy. About five months in did a minor controlled wipe out up in the mountains in West Virginia that put me off riding for a while, and while the bike was in storage I ended up going to Afghanistan most of a year.

At this point, though it may sound crazy, I'm thinking to sell the Bonnie to a friend who desperately wants one (and since it only took a couple of scratches in the fall I think I can get most of my money back on it). Goofy though it sounds, I kinda want to go back to a CB250.

Reasons: I mostly like cruising around city neighborhoods, and when I go outside the city I prefer quiet country roads as opposed to big highways, so the 70mph ceiling isn't a big deal to me. The Bonnie just felt way too "big" in the city, plus I never felt like I was using much of its power unless I was on a big highway at 70+.

My current thought is to get a moderately used CB250 Nighthawk, maybe do some basic mods like M-bars, bar-ends. If possible, I'd like to strip the plastic off, and if feasible put on a longer bench-type UJM-style seat vice the sportier up-sloping stock one.

I'm looking for mainly a city dick-around bike, honestly something that's close to being a moped while still big enough to do 2-up on occasion and do a little rural cruising, and a CB250 is *just* big enough to do those things, but small enough to be a great city bike.

This is basically the model I had before, that I'm looking into getting again:

Is it crazy to downgrade from 765cc to 250cc?

Dr. Brule
Mar 5, 2009
I'm going to look at it with cash tommorow. If it turns over with the starter, brakes work, and the tires aren't rotted i'll go ahead with 550. If any of those conditions aren't met, walk away or offer a lower amount, how much?
I'm intermediately skilled at automotive wrenching, and my father is a bike expert with 30+ years of mechanic experience, so I'm not too worried about working on an early 80's bike. I'm not sure how much the thing is worth for parts, so I know what to offer above that?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Dr. Brule posted:

I'm going to look at it with cash tommorow. If it turns over with the starter, brakes work, and the tires aren't rotted i'll go ahead with 550. If any of those conditions aren't met, walk away or offer a lower amount, how much?
I'm intermediately skilled at automotive wrenching, and my father is a bike expert with 30+ years of mechanic experience, so I'm not too worried about working on an early 80's bike. I'm not sure how much the thing is worth for parts, so I know what to offer above that?

If one of those isn't met, I'd say $350 for shits n' giggles. He'll probably bargain back up to $400. See if you can get him to pull the rotor cover off and spin the engine manually, just to be sure it isn't seized.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tap, you should ride what you enjoy. I've had some of the most fun on a 75 CB200 (see avatar) and my drz400sm. If you enjoy riding that bike, go for it!

DrBrule, I wouldn't pay more than 300$ for that bike, period. If I can find a 94 cbr600 that is in good condition but not running for 500, you should be able to do around 300 for a beater like that. And I really, really wouldn't recommend a non runner for a first bike. Many parts on those bikes are getting hard to come by too. I know a guy who had a project stall for a number of months because he couldn't find a particular carb fitting.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Tap, you should ride what you enjoy. I've had some of the most fun on a 75 CB200 (see avatar) and my drz400sm. If you enjoy riding that bike, go for it!

DrBrule, I wouldn't pay more than 300$ for that bike, period. If I can find a 94 cbr600 that is in good condition but not running for 500, you should be able to do around 300 for a beater like that. And I really, really wouldn't recommend a non runner for a first bike. Many parts on those bikes are getting hard to come by too. I know a guy who had a project stall for a number of months because he couldn't find a particular carb fitting.

Trying to get parts for old or obscure bikes just sucks. I wouldn't go there either. It's not like you can replace anything that's broken at autozone, DrBrule. I mean, if your dad has his own machine shop and a lot of free time, great, but otherwise you're not doing yourself any favours.

Whereas for something like Z3n's hypothetical 94 CBR600, not only are there a lot of them floating around in e-bay land, but you can probably still buy an entire bike worth of spares from your unfriendly neighbourhood Honda dealer.

Even though my old TY is a very popular bike that has a fair amount of specialist aftermarket support, there's a lot of stuff that Yamaha no longer make or stock that just simply isn't available. You have to scour ebay praying for the holy grail of actual "NOS" parts (that aren't hosed up).

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I'm looking at getting off my P plates in July and am starting to want to get a new bike. I've been riding a GS500 for the past year and a half and will have put on about 15000 km by the time it comes to sell (end of p plates means end of restrictions on what I can ride). Bearing in mind I'm also 6'5" and on the plus side of 210lbs what kinda bikes should I be looking at? Mostly city riding with some extended trips in the countryside once or twice a month. No real budget, just having a look at the moment. Been thinking perhaps of a sumo, maybe something like a KTM 690 or is this a terrible idea?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

I've got a little time to puzzle it, but I have been leaning towards another CB250 for some months. It just feels a bit odd to go against the usual American grain of +cc's=better.

The CB250 was a little unnerving on a four-lane Texas highway with 70mph traffic, heavy wind, and intermittent rain. Probably my most white-knuckle biking experience. But as soon as I got onto a smaller 2-lane highway and was cruising I felt great.

Honestly, I could almost say "a bigger engine just lets me ride the kind of places I don't generally enjoy riding anyway."

Plus, CB250s are so :neckbeard: when they're cafe'd out:

I'd like to mod a CB250 into looking a little between a cafe racer and a Ducati Scrambler:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did the USA ever get the GB250? Might be the go. Basically a factory cross between a CB250 and Bonnie/Thruxton.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Did the USA ever get the GB250? Might be the go. Basically a factory cross between a CB250 and Bonnie/Thruxton.

Negative. Looks like a cool little bike though, we never get those.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I'm ready to buy my first bike and I've narrowed it down to these two candidates (what the gently caress is up with Chicago's bike market?). Both are in my price range

An 07 Ninja 250 for $2300.
When I saw the bike it was $2300, but, after I contacted them, they've raised the price.
I've seen it in person, inspected it as best I could and it looks like it just came out of the factory.
Only downsides are the bike is almost too nice (and the dealer jumped the price $100).

OR

A 95 Suzuki GS500 for $1200.
This just popped up on CL and guy sent me more photos.
It's got about 11K on it, it was his buddies bike before he got it and he sent me more photos.
It was downed on the left side with the engine case taking the brunt of the damage. The front peak of the saddle is missing some leather.
I haven't seen it in person, yet, nor I have I gotten the VIN from the guy.

Which do you guys think would make the better buy and what should my starting offer be?

Commodore 64 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
e:gently caress, double post