Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I'm switching from a 4x4 to a mustang but my 4x4 is only worth like 2500. I'm thinking of keeping both for the snow but that seems wasteful haha.

A good set of snow tires, rims and TPMS sensors is going to run you $1500. Personally I'd keep the 4x4 and insure it as a low use vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

frozenphil posted:

Maximum Motorsports has everything you need. Look under just about any racing Mustang that takes corners and you'll find their stuff there.
I've heard good things about them. How does Griggs Racing compare?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Griggs is the most expensive, and they had a run-in with bankruptcy in the past so I don't know if they're making as many parts now as they used to. Still, the hardcore road-racers love Griggs stuff, but those guys are running in American Iron. For something you want to drive daily, Griggs offers a combo with dampers, springs, torque arm, and optional Watts Link. I decided against getting one because the torque arm requires welding and fiddling with the exhaust clamps on my H-pipe. A torque arm also increases unsprung weight, something we already have to deal with.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard good things about them. How does Griggs Racing compare?

They offer decent parts but fitment issues seem to pop up. I've read about people swapping out Griggs parts for MM stuff but never the other way around.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Jalopnik, Autoblog and TTAC have posted reviews on the new Boss. Sucks that they're limiting production on the Laguna Seca. I hope a lot of that tech trickles down into the next Mustang refresh.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Killbot posted:

Jalopnik, Autoblog and TTAC have posted reviews on the new Boss. Sucks that they're limiting production on the Laguna Seca. I hope a lot of that tech trickles down into the next Mustang refresh.

I'm more pissed about the lack of Grabber Blue and the inability to buy a "clean" model. Why does the Boss need all those drat stickers? If you were trying to compete with the M3, wouldn't it make sense to have an option to make the car a little less gaudy?

Hell of a car though.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I LOVE how the boss has all these goodies in the car locked away so you can sell the car legally, then once you own the car, you can delete the exhaust restrictor plate, put on the front spoiler, and then use the trac key.

Then you can take your car to a free track day that comes with your purchase!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

I'm more pissed about the lack of Grabber Blue and the inability to buy a "clean" model. Why does the Boss need all those drat stickers? If you were trying to compete with the M3, wouldn't it make sense to have an option to make the car a little less gaudy?

Hell of a car though.

I'd honestly have a lot of reservations about driving one of these regularly. I'm sure people will hate me for saying this but I think while it looks ok for a track car, it looks really stupid for anything you might drive on the road regularly. I promise this will age terribly and in 10 years it'll look awful. There's nothing worse than a decal package on a 10 year old car, even if it's well kept.

The engineering behind it is really cool, the styling is god awful. I mean red wheels?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

oRenj9 posted:

Hell of a car though.

Completely agree, I love the car but wouldn't be caught dead driving it on the street. I haven't liked the looks since the day it came out. Cars like this never age well and in 10 years this is going to look like like this http://www.c5registry.com/IndyPace/1998_indy.htm

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kronix posted:

I promise this will age terribly and in 10 years it'll look awful. There's nothing worse than a decal package on a 10 year old car, even if it's well kept.

I know, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Killbot posted:

I remember some Ford engineer saying the reason why they didn't put a Watts Link in was because the current setup only had several millimeters of deflection. Even that is enough to dance the rear end just a bit. I hear the difference between a Mustang with the regular panhard and a Mustang with an aftermarket Watts Link is pretty phenomenal.
I've been dwelling on this for a while. Given the kind of slop you get in suspension mounts over time, it seems crazy that the panhard bar is still set up for less than a cm of deflection at the middle. Couldn't they just mount it statically at the diff and do more tuning at the two ends?

Still, if they want to keep evolving SLA ride quality, maybe they could pay the extra couple hundred in parts and labor for a Watts Link. You could even use harder bushings for longer-term consistency in suspension articulation because of the extra support in a Watts Link, right? Or maybe they could do a Mumford link, which has different advantages and packaging options: http://www.not2fast.com/chassis/mumford.gif

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

frozenphil posted:

I know, right?

Now remove the fog lights but leave the holes in the grill so it looks like something is missing, throw on some awful looking wheels, steal the color scheme from some circa 1994 Air Jordan sneakers and go to town.

I want a sleeper version of that car with only giveaway being the side outlets and whatever they decide to throw behind the front wheel well instead of the "5.0" and I want it in grabber orange.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
The wheels + missing fog lights is what makes the car look loving weird. Color scheme is fine, if a little bit :rice:.

Still, I would drive the poo poo out of that thing.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I actually kind of like the way the missing fog lights look, but I think it'd look better still with a 'clean' grille with no fog light openings at all. Roush makes a pretty :krad: one.

I wish it just had normal racing stripes like the GT500 instead of the blob on the hood and all-white (or whatever color) roof. That just looks... sloppy? It looks like they left the paintjob half-finished.

I really like the Mustang in Kona Blue and I think that color would look great with normal white racing stripes, but the giant white blob on the hood and the all-white roof just look nasty.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 25, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I will be in the market for a new car this summer, and I am really leaning towards a new GT, and reading all the latest first drives had me thinking that a boss 302 would be awesome, and in my price range...

Then I followed up and found out that Canada is only getting 300 of them (base model) and it's MSRP is almost 10K more than the US pricing, before the inevitable "adjustments" due to rarity. I guess it's back to looking at the GT.

Although really the 302 would be wasted on me for the most part, so maybe it's for the best.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This car reminds me of the Saleen Parnelli Jones Mustang from a few years ago. Which is awesome, because I loved that car.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I know, right?

Are those decals 10 years old?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

No, just 42.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

They once were.

(hint: they looked great back then too)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I just drove a new Boss last night/this morning and holy balls its awesome. I seriously want one. This one had the optional Recaros, which are the most comfortable ones I've ever sat in, and that includes the money ones in the CTS-V. Shifter throw is super-short and the car sounds GREAT. The steering is my favorite part though, its almost telepathic.

And its like $45k.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

redscare posted:

I just drove a new Boss last night/this morning and holy balls its awesome. I seriously want one. This one had the optional Recaros, which are the most comfortable ones I've ever sat in, and that includes the money ones in the CTS-V. Shifter throw is super-short and the car sounds GREAT. The steering is my favorite part though, its almost telepathic.

And its like $45k.

I'm scared to hear people in your profession talk about a Mustang like this. It's just so surreal.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

frozenphil posted:

I'm scared to hear people in your profession talk about a Mustang like this. It's just so surreal.

Thank Ford. Not only did they finally put modern, not-terrible engines into it, they hired some lich kings or archmages or something to work black magic on the suspension. In the Boss, you can't even tell its got a LRA.

The performance-per-dollar ratio of the 2011+ Mustang is unreal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Now if only Ford would give me the Boss engine and suspension in a Highland Green model without any body kits applied.

What is your profession, anyhow?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

redscare posted:

Thank Ford. Not only did they finally put modern, not-terrible engines into it, they hired some lich kings or archmages or something to work black magic on the suspension. In the Boss, you can't even tell its got a LRA.

So on the street, it doesn't have the shimmy that you found with the '11 GT?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Now if only Ford would give me the Boss engine and suspension in a Highland Green model without any body kits applied.

What is your profession, anyhow?

I work on a car magazine's website which provides the fringe benefit of driving new cars

kimbo305 posted:

So on the street, it doesn't have the shimmy that you found with the '11 GT?

It was very smooth, even on the terrible pavement of the 110 that induces awful freeway hop in many a car.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

redscare posted:

It was very smooth, even on the terrible pavement of the 110 that induces awful freeway hop in many a car.

I wonder what people will bitch about now that Ford has fully sorted the SRA for the street?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

frozenphil posted:

I wonder what people will bitch about now that Ford has fully sorted the SRA for the street?

It's not as light or zippy as a Miata or Atom, no doubt.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frozenphil posted:

That it has a SRA still.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

iwentdoodie posted:

That it has a SRA still.

Yep, could be the best handling, best riding car on the planet and people would still bitch about the live axle. At least, on the internet (and car rags).

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

iwentdoodie posted:

That it has a SRA still.

"We can't tell, but it still makes us mad:argh:"

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
UGG reading about this car is just unreal. I want a Boss more than a Shelby GT500.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The solid axle factor is a legit test parameter.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

After drooling all over the new Boss 302s, I find myself wishing that ford would continually make larger engines so that they could introduce Boss 351s and Boss 429s. That would be bitchin', and I prefer that name scheme to the Shelby GT500 name scheme.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

kalvick posted:

UGG reading about this car is just unreal. I want a Boss more than a Shelby GT500.

The Shelby is faster in a straight line, the Boss turns better. The Boss is also $8k cheaper.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CamH posted:

After drooling all over the new Boss 302s, I find myself wishing that ford would continually make larger engines so that they could introduce Boss 351s and Boss 429s. That would be bitchin', and I prefer that name scheme to the Shelby GT500 name scheme.

The boss 777 engine could potentially be a 429 = 7.03 liter, the boss 777 is 7 liter, 700hp@7000 RPM. Would make for a monster.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

redscare posted:

And its like $45k.

Oh god I want to drive one so badly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

frozenphil posted:

gently caress, this thing doesn't even have direct injection!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Wait I lied, sorry. The Boss sucks, the brakes are slightly spongy and there's too much pedal travel. They're nowhere near as good as those on an Ultimate Driving Machine.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

redscare posted:

The Shelby is faster in a straight line, the Boss turns better. The Boss is also $8k cheaper.

Until the dealer gets a hold of it and marks it up 10k. Let's hope we don't get a repeat of what happened with the GT500 when it first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

If they did this I'd trade in my '08 Bullitt in a heartbeat.

How many Laguna Secas are they planning on making? I know they're making around 7k Boss Mustangs, but how many of those are Laguna Secas?

re SRA: Apparently the Boss rides on dampers similar to Koni sports (yellows.) That will account for most of the better handling and ride since stock Mustang dampers suck.