Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Namarrgon posted:

Military legality is an incredibly murky issue and usually in the end it doesn't really matter what is said on paper.

But there is a big move away from the traditional idea of 'might is right' so making sure countries stay within international law is pretty important, especially when the actions of these British and Dutch soldiers would have otherwise been a crime against peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

But there is a big move away from the traditional idea of 'might is right' so making sure countries stay within international law is pretty important, especially when the actions of these British and Dutch soldiers would have otherwise been a crime against peace.

Pretty sure "might is right" is the idea that is still very much in place which is why the US has been conducting combat operations in nations we aren't at war with since the 60's. Have the US ever been punished for this? I'd say that, and the fact that the US has effectively made itself exempt from international war crimes trials, pretty much spells out that "might is right" is the real current "law".

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 3, 2011

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire
Well, we didn't actually try it but even Switzerland was considering a military hostage exfiltration (in Feb. 2010 when Gaddafi held those two guys hostage).

If even we consider it, it can't be illegal :geno:

edit: so surreal:

quote:

July 15, 2008: Hannibal Gaddafi and his wife are arrested and charged with abusing their staff. They are released on bail and leave Switzerland. The servants are later compensated and charges withdrawn.

July: Swiss nationals Max Göldi and Rachid Hamdani are arrested as part of several anti-Swiss measures

January 2009: A diplomatic delegation travels to Tripoli.

May: Swiss foreign minister visits Libya.

June: Libya withdraws most assets from Swiss bank accounts.

August: The Swiss president apologises in Tripoli for the arrest.

October: A 60-day limit for normalising relations passes.

November: Swiss ministers say they will pursue visa restrictions for Libyans. On November 30 Göldi and Hamdani sentenced to 16 months in prison and fined for visa violations.

January 2010: Their terms are overturned and cut.

February 14: A Libyan newspaper reports Switzerland has drawn up a blacklist of 188 top Libyans.

February 15: Libya stops issuing visas to citizens of nations in the Schengen zone.

February 22: Göldi ordered to report to prison. Hamdani obtains an exit visa.

March 3: Libya declares a trade and economic embargo of Switzerland.

March 27: Libya lifts its visa ban on Schengen citizens after EU president Spain says the visa blacklist against 188Libyans has been scrapped.

April 13: A Geneva court backs a claim by Hannibal Gaddafi that the publication of leaked police photos infringed his privacy, but rejects his claim for SFr100,000 ($95,000) in damages.

June 10: Göldi is released from jail and moves to a Tripoli hotel.

June 12: Swiss and Spanish foreign ministers travel to Tripoli.

June 14: Göldi arrives back in Switzerland.

Warthog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 3, 2011

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Earwicker posted:

Pretty sure "might is right" is the idea that is still very much in place which is why the US has been conducting combat operations in nations we aren't at war with since the 60's. Have the US ever been punished for this? I'd say that, and the fact that the US has effectively made itself exempt from international war crimes trials, pretty much spells out that "might is right" is the real current "law".

It's the unfortunate effect of sovereignty but I'd rather see 99% of derogations punished than let them go without any censure at all.

It's the same with the UN and the UNSC.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

It's the unfortunate effect of sovereignty but I'd rather see 99% of derogations punished than let them go without any censure at all.

Me too, but given the rather large list of unpunished war crimes and other illegal activities that have gone on, a handful of Dutch marines rescuing a couple of their civilian countrymen seems a fairly low priority in terms of what to deal with and I can't imagine much more "punishment" resulting from this did beyond some politicians saying they condemn the action.

SauceNinja
Nov 8, 2002
Knock Knock.
Who's There?
You're Fired.

Earwicker posted:

Yes you see Al Queda somehow convinced half the Libyan populace to take 6000 sleeping pills each and then, while they were asleep and half dead, attacked them with dream magick turning them into Islamist zombies controlled by the western media.

These drugs can't exist unless he's had this :catdrugs: strategy for quite some time. Who would send him 740,000 pounds of sedatives? That is a pretty wild plan though. How are we going to put down this revolution? Sedatives. Lots and Lots of sedatives. Water supply? Foods? Powder them and crop dust the protesters? And if all that doesn't work, we'll declare they're on crazy druggies. With Luke on one side and Sideous on the other. I think this plan falls into the Dooku range. Every time I see the word rebels, I think of X-wings and snow-speeders.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SauceNinja posted:

These drugs can't exist unless he's had this :catdrugs: strategy for quite some time. Who would send him 740,000 pounds of sedatives? That is a pretty wild plan though. How are we going to put down this revolution? Sedatives. Lots and Lots of sedatives. Water supply? Foods? Powder them and crop dust the protesters? And if all that doesn't work, we'll declare they're on crazy druggies. With Luke on one side and Sideous on the other. I think this plan falls into the Dooku range. Every time I see the word rebels, I think of X-wings and snow-speeders.

From my point of view, the protesters are evil!

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

From my point of view, the protesters are evil!

THEN YOU ARE LOST!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The anti-Gaddafi National Libyan Council in Benghazi has responded to Venezuela's offer to mediate talks with Gaddafi.

The opposition council said they were only open to talks on Gaddafi's resignation or exile to stop the bloodshed, Reuters reports.

Ahmed Jabreel, an aide to ex-justice minister Mustafa Abdel Jalil who heads the council, also told the news agency that air strikes to set up a "no-fly" zone were needed to help topple Gaddafi.

"If there is any negotiation it will be on one single thing - how Gaddafi is going to leave the country or step down so we can save lives. There is nothing else to negotiate.

"The military council in Benghazi started organising themselves they have not taken any decision to move to the west but they are organising themselves so they can be ready for any development in the coming days."

quote:

"We will never negotiate with anybody on the blood of our people. The only way we can negotiate with Chavez is if Gaddafi goes to Venezuela," said Mr Gheriani. "Then we'll ask him to have Gaddafi back in Libya to be prosecuted by our justice."

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 3, 2011

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Not sure how many people have seen this yet, but for anybody interested, Al Jazeera's director-general Wadah Khanfar TED talk was posted yesterday:

A historic moment in the Arab world

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Few bits of news:

quote:

Tunisian elections have been scheduled for 24 July, it has just been announced.

quote:

The Guardian's Martin Chulov tweets: "Rebels captured 6 african mercenaries in eastern libya today. Almost summarily executed them. A colleague stopped things."

quote:

Martin Chulov continues: "The captured mercenaries said they had entered #libya through an air force base in the south."

quote:

Mariah Carey, one of several stars criticised for performing at New Year's eve parties hosted by the Gaddafi family, has sought to distance themselves from the controversy.

In a statement on her website, Carey confirmed she had performed at a party "thrown by the sons of vicious, crazy dictator" Gaddafi and expressed her embarrassment.

quote:

"At the time, Libya was not in the news...Now it's become an issue in hindsight, which is sort of ridiculous. I was naive and unaware of who I was booked to perform for.I feel horrible and embarrassed to have participated in this mess.

"Going forward, this is a lesson for all artists to learn from. We need to be more aware and take more responsibility regardless of who books our shows. Ultimately we as artists are to be held accountable."

Her comments come after Beyonce said she had donated the money she received for performing at a party for the Gaddafi family to support earthquake relief in Haiti.

quote:

Lisa Goldman tweets: "Two sources confirm: Internet blocked in #Tripoli."
More protests were planned for Friday prayers, so I'm guessing they are preparing for another slaughter.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007

quote:

3:30pm
Sergei Chemezov, the head of state industrial holding for Russian Technologies, says that Russia is to lose $4 billion in arms exports to Libya due to the imposition of UN sanctions against Gaddafi's regime.

Poor Russia

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Few bits of news:

More protests were planned for Friday prayers, so I'm guessing they are preparing for another slaughter.

Disappointing, but not unexpected, that they'd try and execute the mercenaries. When Chulov said a "colleague" stopped them, was he referring to a reporter, or another Libyan?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Narmi posted:

Disappointing, but not unexpected, that they'd try and execute the mercenaries. When Chulov said a "colleague" stopped them, was he referring to a reporter, or another Libyan?
Sounds like another reporter, though getting involved in the news has been kind of against the Guardian's code for a long time, I think.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Narmi posted:

Not sure how many people have seen this yet, but for anybody interested, Al Jazeera's director-general Wadah Khanfar TED talk was posted yesterday:

A historic moment in the Arab world

That was every bit as good as I'd hoped it'd be. Here's an article by Khanfar which ties in nicely with that video:

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/03/2011317269573443.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

"BREAKING: Families of Misratah offered 200,000 Libyan Dinars to stop protesting
That's about $7000.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Anyone who knows about these sort of things able to give any comment on the possibility of a no-fly zone? I know that the US have been distancing themselves from it but I also know that both Britain (especially) and France have expressed support for the idea, and I remember reading that Italy had offered use of their air bases. I also recall the Arab League seemed to be willing to impose one, plus now you've got the rebels and Libya's delegation at the UN actually requesting one...

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

That's about $7000.

This just reeks of absolute and total desparation. Also, isn't this basically just Gaddafi paying the people he's ostensibly at civil war with (indirectly if not directly)?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

ChaosSamusX posted:

This just reeks of absolute and total desparation. Also, isn't this basically just Gaddafi paying the people he's ostensibly at civil war with (indirectly if not directly)?

But... but they love him! :catdrugs: Why would he need to pay them?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ChaosSamusX posted:

...and there is nothing to stop them from taking the money and continuing. :allears:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Another amazing parody

http://bigthink.com/ideas/31329 posted:

By Firouz Folani

Institute of Near-Western Studies

TEHRAN, Feb 24, 2011 -- As a wave of "people power" this month toppled dictators throughout the Americas, citizens of Africa and the Middle East—the world's prosperous democracies— felt joy and sympathy. Nowhere was this more true than here in Iran. But with the fall of the dictatorship in Washington, it's time for us, the world's one remaining superpower, to lay sentiment aside. We have to ask the tough questions: How can we be sure that the next American regime won't be even worse? How can we be sure, for that matter, that Americans are ready for democracy?

Officially, of course, Iran, Tunisia, Egypt, Cameroon, Nigeria, Turkey and other rich democracies support free speech, personal liberty, the rule of law and fair elections for every country on earth. But we have to balance our democratic ideals with a realistic assessment of our interests (and the world's) in resource-rich North America.

Why do I have my doubts? Because Americans lack our Judeo-Muslim traditions of brotherhood, peaceful assembly and debate. Far from thinking of the greater good of their society, most Americans embrace a tribal ethos of "what's in it for me and my clan?" Their loyalties tend to divide along tribal and regional lines. In recent years, for example, elected officials have mooted the idea that their state should (a) secede from the federal union (Texas), (b) create its own currency (South Carolina), and (c) enforce only those national laws with which its ruling warlords agree (Montana).

In this climate, many, if not most of the nation's people identify themselves first by tribe or religion (as in "Italian-American," "African-American," "Baptist" or "Red Stater"). Members of these tribes gather often throughout the year to celebrate themselves, and they're all too ready to spit on the cultures of others. When a national election is called, one-third to one-half of those eligible do not not bother to vote.

With their feeble sense of nationhood, Americans fall back on an individualism so extreme that their laws hold that even business corporations are people, with the same free-speech rights as a flesh-and-blood human being. Unfortunately, fully half the homes of these tribesmen are stocked with firearms. And Americans have been known to bring their weapons to ostensibly peaceful political rallies. In fact, political assassination has been a recurring problem in the United States for more than a century. Even in 2011, Federal officials who ventured into the untamed Western deserts have been threatened and even shot.

You might be tempted here to say that democracy is messy, and that the Americans should just be left to muddle along as best they can, and learn their lessons without our interference. Unfortunately, North America is a vital source of uranium, soybeans, situation comedies, inspirational speakers and other resources without which the global economy would collapse. Moreover, the country possesses a sizable cache of weapons of mass destruction. For both those reasons we and the other peace-loving nations of the world cannot afford to sit on the sidelines. If Americans are incapable of electing a sane and responsible government, the whole world will feel the consequences.

The heart of the problem, of course, is religion.

I disagree with some of my conservative friends who claim that Christianity is an inherently violent faith (we all know the litany: it has an instrument of torture for a symbol, the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc). Yes, if you read through their Holy Book you find a lot of alarming stuff, but I am satisfied that the vast majority of Christians read these passages metaphorically. For most, their religion is almost as peaceful and civilized as our own.

That said, the United States abounds in fanatics who don't share this view. They are all too eager to turn the democratic process to their own nefarious ends. Many will claim to have renounced the gun for the ballot box, but can we trust them? Consider one Sarah Palin, an imam from a wild northern region where the central government's hold is weak. Last year, her election literature contained images of targets on the territories of opponents, and she has said that the secular state should base its laws on a Christian version of Sharia. Obviously Iran, Nigeria and the rest of the G7 cannot tolerate such a person in charge of America's nuclear arsenal.

Some say not to worry, because Americans, now that they're free, will vote in a government of moderates, who will move toward a healthy secular society. Extremists, they say, have little support and cannot win. But I am not so sure.

Outside the large cities where foreigners are welcome, a majority of Americans don't "believe" in evolution and many are not shy about expressing distrust for any religion but their own. True, religious fanatics are not a majority, even here. But they're well organized and determined. Often, too, they run social-service organizations that feed, clothe and shelter people, performing the functions that the feeble secular government cannot. That impresses people who might not otherwise share their zealot values.

Given Americans' poor grasp of democratic principles, it is not inconceivable that one or more of these militants could win at the ballot box. And, of course, an election won by the Tea-liban would be the last election permitted. Equally obviously, the country would then have to be liberated by the international community, at great expense in blood and treasure.

For all these reasons, I believe we have to face the hard facts: Much as we aspire to a peaceful, democratic world, we know some peoples are not yet ready for democracy, and the Americans are one of these. Our policy, then, should aim for an authoritarian strongman of the sort Americans understand and respect—someone who can flatter their national pride and keep their well-armed warlords under control. This people needs a few decades of practice before they'll be mature enough to govern themselves. It may not be politically correct, but we have to accept that fact.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Xandu posted:

Another amazing parody

That was utter genius. Was that written by a westerner, a middle-easterner (is that the correct term?) or another party?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

SauceNinja posted:

Who would send him 740,000 pounds of sedatives?

Welcome to the Internet.

Xandu posted:

Another amazing parody

:golfclap:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
As far as I can tell it was written by David Berreby, the blogger. Be sure to click through for tons of links to the events he's talking about.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit of an update on the drugs:

quote:

Col Gaddafi has insisted for some time that those opposed to him are being given mind-altering drugs by al-Qaeda. Now, Libya's anti-narcotics department says it has interrupted a shipment of 37 million Tramadol painkillers, allegedly bought in Dubai by a dealer with links to al-Qaeda, Reuters reports.

quote:

"The target was the distribution of the drugs among young people through drug traffickers," said official Abdel Haqim Giniwa. "Thanks to all the hard work of the security forces, this quantity of the drug was intercepted. It would have caused social and economic disorder."

If all the protesters were on Tramadol they'd all be at home drooling and watching State TV, not on the streets.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

If all the protesters were on Tramadol they'd all be at home drooling and watching State TV, not on the streets.

Actually, tramadol is an atypical opioid, and is in fact quite a stimulant in sufficient doses and it's really hard to sit still on it. It's kinda like a really strong cup of coffee but with more euphoria, not particularly "mind-altering" really, and most definitely NOT anything you could call a sedative. (I call it "poor man's meth.") So I dunno what the hell they're trying to pull here.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I ate tramodols a couple times and they made me clean my house and then take a really good nap

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

bich posted:

I ate tramodols a couple times and they made me clean my house and then take a really good nap

Heh, yeah that's about it. It's actually a very motivating drug, at least at first. The later stages of the high are more narcotic-like, but it'll have you bouncing off the walls for at least 4 to 6 hours first.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Brown Moses posted:

His whole drug thing is hilarious. It's like he has some advisers that said:

"Hey, ya know, in america they blame drugs for all problems big and small and it works pretty well there, let's try that!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The 1960's is back. Drugs and revolutions, bros!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Sivias posted:

Maybe my information is a bit off. The point is, nearly half the voting populace didn't bother. That's an incredible number of people who decided to 'just stay in and watch TV instead.'
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were "I'm not in a swing state" sit-outs.

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma

Brown Moses posted:

That's about $7000.

The sad thing is, it would work(or has?) in America.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
So let me get this straight - Al Qaeda bought 37 million pills from a dealer in Dubai, another oil producing nation, to make people high for just long enough so that Gaddhafi could look like not a lunatic?

CG, you're a straight OG type of guy, aren't you? Don't take no, or "that's implausible", for an answer.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Koine posted:

So let me get this straight - Al Qaeda bought 37 million pills from a dealer in Dubai, another oil producing nation, to make people high for just long enough so that Gaddhafi could look like not a lunatic?

CG, you're a straight OG type of guy, aren't you? Don't take no, or "that's implausible", for an answer.

I've heard 37 million and 37 billion, the latter of which would be over 6 pills for every living human being on the planet. :psyduck: 37 million is a lot more believable, but of course the whole thing is pretty obviously bullshit anyway, if for no other reason than tramadol being a ridiculous choice in terms of their alleged purpose. When they made this poo poo up I think they chose that drug because apparently the stuff is rather popular in Gaza, as I just learned (and likely in many other areas of the region, I'd wager, if that article is accurate).

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

JSARSOM posted:

:lol:

Umm, who's driving?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:lol:

Umm, who's driving?

Gadaffi drives from the wrong side of the car just because he can.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Stay classy, Moobs.

This needs a deal with it gif.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Mubarak in Mubarak jacket

:aaaaa:

That's, like the ultimate height of bad taste, isn't it?

Incidentally, Mubarak's still in Sharm, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

"The target was the distribution of the drugs among young people through drug traffickers," said official Abdel Haqim Giniwa. "Thanks to all the hard work of the security forces, this quantity of the drug was intercepted. It would have caused social and economic disorder."

Well, at least everything can now go back to the peaceful way it was before the drugs started pouring in. Unless of course there was another shipment that made it through.

quote:

President Obama said Thursday that he had ordered plans giving the U.S. military "full capacity to act, potentially rapidly," in Libya if the situation there deteriorates.

Ugh. How likely is this? I could see joining in an international no fly zone but if Gaddafi somehow survives we will be stuck like we were with Iraq before the second war.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 4, 2011

• Locked thread