Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Commodore 64 posted:

A 95 Suzuki GS500 for $1200.
This just popped up on CL and guy sent me more photos.
It's got about 11K on it, it was his buddies bike before he got it and he sent me more photos.
It was downed on the left side with the engine case taking the brunt of the damage. The front peak of the saddle is missing some leather.
I haven't seen it in person, yet, nor I have I gotten the VIN from the guy.

Which do you guys think would make the better buy and what should my starting offer be?

If the GS500 has had the valves adjusted, is in good working order, etc, buy that. It's a beater and perfect for your first bike. Offer a grand, although $1200 isn't bad, make sure the tires, chain, and sprockets are in decent shape or use that to bargain him down.

You can put 10k on it and sell it for what you bought it for, easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm really tempted to buy this and flip it in a few months. I'm not sure $500 or so is really worth the hassle, though.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2240773954.html

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Commodore 64 posted:

I'm ready to buy my first bike and I've narrowed it down to these two candidates (what the gently caress is up with Chicago's bike market?). Both are in my price range

drat you for sniping those out from under me! :saddowns:
I didn't know you were in the Chicago area. How's the TDI going? Mine exploded, replaced with a 2011 TDI. The 6-speed is nice.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

bidikyoopi posted:

drat you for sniping those out from under me! :saddowns:
I didn't know you were in the Chicago area. How's the TDI going? Mine exploded, replaced with a 2011 TDI. The 6-speed is nice.

How did that happen (if you don't mind me askin)? That's not good. That's not good at all. :smithfrog:

The TDI's running beautifully. Almost at 90K and I just need to get off my rear end and replace the rear pads/rotors.

To snipe some good CL deals; get a notification app for your phone (I use Craigslist Notification for Android) and setup some searches.
Just put in what your looking for and a pic requirement helps filter crap out.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

So I'm looking to buy my first bike and was wondering if anyone knows what kind of OTD prices a used bike would have from a dealer (2008 Ninja 250R)?

This is the bike in question: http://www.allemancycleplex.net/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=153530&Used=1 for $2500.

Most of the craiglist ads want 3000-3500 for a used '08/'09 model and I saw this gem today through a dealer with a really low price. Is it bad that the price is so low or is everyone just over-estimating a 250's worth?

I'm assuming that buying from a dealer I wouldn't have to worry about the history of the bike if they're willing to buy it from someone and resell it, since they would most likely give it a good going over, but I could be very wrong.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Commodore 64 posted:

How did that happen (if you don't mind me askin)? That's not good. That's not good at all. :smithfrog:

The TDI's running beautifully. Almost at 90K and I just need to get off my rear end and replace the rear pads/rotors.

To snipe some good CL deals; get a notification app for your phone (I use Craigslist Notification for Android) and setup some searches.
Just put in what your looking for and a pic requirement helps filter crap out.

You didn't actually snipe them, those are just two that I had high on my radar as well. I have a dumbphone so no apps for me. Also good luck with electrical gremlins in the golf, usually around 150k is when things start acting up. We got 210k (including a full turbo replacement) before it shat the bed.

Edit: forgot to add how the dezzer died. Oilpan shattered from debris on the highway, engine seized, insurance wrote it off for $5k. Not a fitting end for such an awesome ride. 4th gen golfs are still the best looking.

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 3, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
What say you: if this is the model I want, is it worth driving three hours, or taking the Greyhound 1-way for 4 hours and assuming I'll ride back, to buy this?

quote:

2001 Honda Nighthawk CB250 - $1600 (Hershey)

2001 Honda Nighthawk (250cc engine) for sale by owner.

It runs perfectly... plenty of pep - it will easily do 65-70mph on highways. I really like this bike and the only reason I'm selling it is that I'm trying to trim my budget and I'd rather not have the insurance and upkeep costs for two vehicles.

The motorcycle has a clear history, and I've changed the oil regularly (~twice per year) and lubricated/adjusted the chain regularly. I bought it two years ago with ~4000 miles and put another ~5000 miles on it.

It gets great gas mileage (between 50mpg to 70mpg, average 60mpg). It had both tires replaced in 2009 and is inspected through August 2011.

There is some rust on the exhaust pipes near the engine, and a couple cosmetic tears at the rear of the seat cover that appeared in 2010. A brand new seat costs about $270, so I reduced the asking price to account for this.

Two helmets included.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/2164351039.html

Or is this not a good enough price to warrant the trip and I should just keep watching CL in a 1-hour radius from home?

EDIT: got an email back; he can meet Saturday. Also he says that if I don't want him to order the new seat for it, and just leave the duct-tape repaired one, he can go as low as $1300. That sounds pretty drat good unless his description above is way, way off. I was looking to change seats anyway, so good deal there.

quote:

Did the USA ever get the GB250? Might be the go. Basically a factory cross between a CB250 and Bonnie/Thruxton.

Dammit, that looks loving awesome, and it's pretty close to the mods I'm thinking to do to whatever CB250 I get. On that note, do you reckon the basic frame is probably the same on a GB? That is, maybe I could just by a GB seat and drop it into a CB? Or would there be issues with the tank footprint?

If nothing else, on a CB I can put on clubmans and bar-ends, and then figure out what to do about the seat.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 3, 2011

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Alright, I've heard back from the GS500 guy and he says the valves haven't been touched and the price is now "firm" :rolleyes:.

I also found a 02 Ninja 500 for $1800. Seller sent me more photos and the bike has all the fairings and hasn't been put down.
He seems more willing to negotiate (leaving the country soon) and he claims he has paperwork for all the work done to the bike.

If the Ninja is all it's cracked up to be; I think that would make the better buy, right?

Commodore 64 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 3, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Commodore 64 posted:

Alright, I've heard back from the GS500 guy and he says the valves haven't been touched and the price is now "firm" :rolleyes:.

I also found a 02 Ninja 500 for $1800. Seller sent me more photos and the bike has all the fairings and hasn't been put down.
He seems more willing to negotiate (leaving the country soon) and he claims he has paperwork for all the work done to the bike.

If the Ninja is all it's cracked up to be; I think that would make the better buy, right?

As compared to the GS, yes. The Ninja has a tad bit more power and better brakes; they make fantastic beginner bikes.

edit: Again, ask about the valve adjustment. It's right at its interval, but if it hasn't been done, there's another bargaining chip for you.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 3, 2011

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
That ninja 500 is excellent, i'd offer him 1600$, I believe the valve check/adjustment interval on those is around 7500/15000/24000 miles, even if it's due it's not a particularly hard job on that bike. I'd say it's slightly sportier than a GS500 because it has clip-ons but the seating position is about the same.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

infraboy posted:

That ninja 500 is excellent, i'd offer him 1600$, I believe the valve check/adjustment interval on those is around 7500/15000/24000 miles, even if it's due it's not a particularly hard job on that bike. I'd say it's slightly sportier than a GS500 because it has clip-ons but the seating position is about the same.

Thirding that those are excellent bikes. So good that if you ever upgrade to something more powerful, it's worth keeping to commute on.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Saga posted:

Thirding that those are excellent bikes. So good that if you ever upgrade to something more powerful, it's worth keeping to commute on use as a track bike.

I've seen some seriously fast racers on EX500s. They're very approachable to ride hard on, and are very upgradeable.

Kaiine
Mar 19, 2009
I am currently riding a Honda VT250C and have experience on a GSXR600, saving my pennies towards a Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan Mean Streak, what are your opinions on this bike? I have done a little research and everything seems positive, it will be a daily ride as i currently use the 250 for work everyday, would i get as much reliability out of the Mean Streak if i keep up the maintenance?

E: I am looking at the 2008 SE if that makes a difference. I have chrome on my bike now and it is more effort then its worth, and matte black bike and pipes look great

Kaiine fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 4, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've seen some seriously fast racers on EX500s. They're very approachable to ride hard on, and are very upgradeable.

Suspension and brakes-wise maybe. Trying to squeeze anymore power out of that engine turns it into a veritable grenade. I agree though, it was a great starter bike, but it definitely had some serious pep when given the beans.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah, you don't need to touch the motor to make it a racebike, just the suspension, brakes, bodywork, and 17s.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Going to take a look at this tomorrow. Since I guess most of you can't read viking, it basically says “4500 km, nice DRZ 400 with complete Yoshimura system and rejetted carb”. Cost equivalent to $6000, which sadly is standard fare for a DRZ SM in Sweden. There are, as of right now, exactly two of them for sale in all of Sweden (that I can find).

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001
Looking for a new, non-sport 250cc bike. Currently leaning towards a 2010 Suzuki GZ250 that runs $3k. I know the Rebel is comparable, but it's $4k.

Also intrigued by the Hyosung 250. Are they well regarded?

Are there others I should be considering?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bukanza posted:

They're regarded very poorly.

There's also the Suzuki TU250. If you're into dual-sports or supermotos, there's the Yamaha WR250R or X.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Bukanza posted:

Looking for a new, non-sport 250cc bike. Currently leaning towards a 2010 Suzuki GZ250 that runs $3k. I know the Rebel is comparable, but it's $4k.

I was going to say Honda CB250, since that was my first bike, and now I'm "downgrading" back to one since it was awesome.

But I notice you said "new", so if you're dead-set on that, not so much. I'm about to pick up a 2001 in good shape with 9,000 miles and a torn seat for $1300 though, so the used ones are quite affordable.

quote:

There's also the Suzuki TU250.

Dang, I hadn't seen those before. That's a really cool little UJM throwback. I actually like the look of the TU250 more than the CB250 that I'm about to pick up (particularly like the bench-style UJM seat). However, I'm planning to mod the CB250 anyway, so some of the advantage in looks will even out, and my used bike will be nearly 1/3 of what a new TU250 is, and even used TU250s are looking to be like $2800 or so if you can find them (2009 introduction?).

Really glad to see a 250cc UJM back on the market though. I could totally see picking one up in a few years once there are some good deals on used ones, and/or encouraging newbie friends to try one. I'm no bike expert, but I have been somewhat mystified by the lack of competing 250cc bikes on the US market, given that people seem to love the poo poo out of 250 Ninjas, Rebels, and CBs, and it seems like there are a lot of people who probably could get by just fine on 20hp while making very few compromises in their choices of rides.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 5, 2011

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm currently looking at picking up my first bike, and have pretty much exclusively been trolling CL for naked SV650's, while I was cruising around I came across this.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/2246792194.html

Is this a decent deal/bad idea? I'm an absolute sucker for naked bikes, and I especially like the 919.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have no idea if that's a good deal or not, but don't get a 919 for a first bike.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Endless Mike posted:

I have no idea if that's a good deal or not, but don't get a 919 for a first bike.

Fair enough, I wasn't able to find much information on them in my short time googling at work. I'm assuming it's a bit much, then?

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
It is a badass bike, but you'd probably die. :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, nearly 100hp. It would be a bit of a handful :buddy:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just put some kind of stop on the throttle so you can't turn it more than 1/8 of a turn. :)

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Ohhh so tempted:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2245696989.html

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Paytizzle posted:

It is a badass bike, but you'd probably die. :(

That's a drat shame.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Going to take a look at this tomorrow. Since I guess most of you can't read viking, it basically says “4500 km, nice DRZ 400 with complete Yoshimura system and rejetted carb”. Cost equivalent to $6000, which sadly is standard fare for a DRZ SM in Sweden. There are, as of right now, exactly two of them for sale in all of Sweden (that I can find).

Unless you hold out for one that's been seriously tricked-out, you realistically aren't likely to do much better than that, IMO. If that is the full Yoshimura system, it's a fairly expensive bit of kit. And if you don't want it, it should be very saleable.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

Unless you hold out for one that's been seriously tricked-out, you realistically aren't likely to do much better than that, IMO. If that is the full Yoshimura system, it's a fairly expensive bit of kit. And if you don't want it, it should be very saleable.

There was one last fall that had the "complete package" with a big bore, cams, fcr carb, full GPR system, air box mod and stuff, but I didn't have any money then. This will be quite enough, I think. But since it's still below zero here and an inch of ice/slush in the streets, I couldn't test ride it. Will go back in a week or two, if it's still there.

The bike was clean, and looked like it'd never had any serious contact with the ground. There was some things that caught my eye in a bad way, though. For starters, the Yoshi can look like it had been bent or something, right behind the clamp (which didn't really look professionally installed, so to speak.

And (what I assume is) the reservoir for the rear shock looked like someone took a wire wheel to it, and I have no idea why someone would do that? The exhaust pipe also had a small dent on it right behind the frame, below the reservoir.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unless there's something I'm missing, that's how the shock reservoir looks from the factory.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Unless there's something I'm missing, that's how the shock reservoir looks from the factory.

I guess you're right, I've never seen a DRZ live before. It just looked weird with the surface on the top of the reservoir glossy, and the sides so rough.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Bukanza posted:

The GZ is probably the bigger of the 250 cruisers, but sit on them and see how they feel. The limitation of the 250 cruisers is that they're not very good at freeway speeds. Hills make it even more difficult, same with a strong headwind. If your plan on doing mainly city streets and backroad riding, they'll be fine, but don't expect easy 70mph riding. If you're more needing of that, and still want a non sport, you'll have to look for a Vulcan 500 or the 650cc cruisers.

I've got a GZ250 and I should have went with a Ninja or a GS500 to give me a bit more flexibility on where I can ride. I'll probably be picking up one of those in the spring, hopefully for a decent price.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

Bukanza posted:

Don't waste your time with a 250cc cruiser. You'll want to sell it in 3 months tops. I ended up purchasing a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 as a starter bike, and never once have I felt like it had remotely too much power.

Bukanza
Sep 28, 2001

BradleyJamers posted:

The limitation of the 250 cruisers is that they're not very good at freeway speeds. Hills make it even more difficult, same with a strong headwind. If your plan on doing mainly city streets and backroad riding, they'll be fine, but don't expect easy 70mph riding.

panic posted:

Don't waste your time with a 250cc cruiser. You'll want to sell it in 3 months tops.
I considered this, but I'm coming from a 125cc scooter that I'm outgrowing by a just a tiny bit. I really have no plans or desire to do a bunch of highway riding in my next bike. Mostly just light commuting, errands, and longer recreational rides through backroads.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Even larger cruisers are extremely easy to handle from a power perspective. I think the bigger point here is that there's no reason to buy an inferior product for the same cost as a bike that will have a lot more versatility if you do ever need it. The 250 cruisers are typically just kind of crappier all around and not just in power. But if that's what you want, have at it :) If I found myself with money to blow I'd get a Honda Rebel just for the hell of it. It was the first bike I ever looked at as a kid and thought "hey that's cool"

I ate Jesus
Feb 27, 2001
Okay, my brother-in-law has a bike shop, I am wanting to buy my first bike, so I asked him for a recommendation. I am a really big guy (6'5", 220lbs), and he mentioned that he had a late 1970s (I believe) Yamaha XS1100 that he was working on that he might want to sell. It's supposed to be in great mechanical condition, and have a great custom pearl paint job. His price was $3500, which would be "'turn-key' new tires, brakes, New individual K&N filters, jet kit, new header, battery, etc."

I asked him if he thought it was too much bike for a beginner, and he said that he didn't think so because of my weight and size, and that it wasn't really that fast compared to modern bikes.

I have done some research and found out that these are pretty well-regarded bikes, and on forums I see people buying running ones for around $1500-2000. Is the premium I'm paying too much for a turn-key, semi-restored bike? I know I can buy a much newer bike for around the same price, but I'm more interested in an older bike. I like the look, and this will be a weekend cruiser.

Any thoughts? Should I walk away find something newer or cheaper? I'm going to look at it in person tomorrow and take some photos.

I have ridden plenty of 4-wheelers in the past, have done some autocross in a car, and can ride a bike all day long, but I haven't been on a motorcycle. He has offered to teach me, and I'm going to take a MSF course once I can settle on a bike.

I ate Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 29, 2017

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
bikez.com says it makes about 95HP, don't know how much of that it is still making but jet kit + pod filters don't hurt. That's quite a bit of grunt even for a big dude. It's not going to be as bad as a modern supersport no doubt; I don't know these bikes in particular but if it's anything like the GS1100 that power is going to come at you like a shot of cocaine. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. Especially not at $3500, unless it were a prime specimen, that's steep.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
I see the Japanese makers are putting out some big rebates for leftover models. Suzuki is giving $1000 off lots of their bikes and scooters. That includes the GS500F, so that brings it down from $4400 to $3400 MSRP. Seen a dealer offering ones for $3k+fees and it's awfully tempting to me. Wanting to change from my GZ250 to a sport bike instead of a cruiser. Don't know if I should though. I've only had my GZ for 4 months excluding the winter months, but I would like something that can handle freeway speeds and possibly do some touring on later down the road.

drat you winter, it's all your fault for making me look at new bikes when my current one is sleeping while the snow is down.

[panic]
Aug 16, 2000

bounce bounce bounce

Bukanza posted:

I considered this, but I'm coming from a 125cc scooter that I'm outgrowing by a just a tiny bit. I really have no plans or desire to do a bunch of highway riding in my next bike. Mostly just light commuting, errands, and longer recreational rides through backroads.

I had never sat on a motorcycle or scooter in my life before picking up the 500cc Vulcan. My experience with two wheels was entirely with cycling. And again, not once have I felt like it was even remotely too much to handle.

You might as well buy a slightly more powerful scooter, it will be a more exhilarating ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
$3500 is way too much money to spend on a first bike that is 30+ years old. It may be worth that much I don't know but you'll probably dump it at least once and take off half the value.