Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ippo's weakness better be something *huge* (no, not his dick) because all this cock teasing about it is only setting everyone for a disappointment.

Morikawa used to write an excellent manga, I wonder if he will be able to make this "Ippo's weakness" poo poo work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
How to fix this manga:

Ippo relinquishing his title.
A Miyata v Ippo showdown.
The god drat dempsey roll returns.
Have Itagaki actually learn something instead of losing horrible and somehow beating Ippo's time aaargh.
Another fight in between Miyata that shows Ippo absolutely dominating on the world level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Resolve the situation with Kumi somehow. The specifics don't matter, but they have been doing this junior high bullshit for almost 10 years of their lives now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ippo's only defense is Kumi's brother and I mean loving hell, just go for the reporter chick.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

trucutru posted:

Ippo's weakness better be something *huge* (no, not his dick) because all this cock teasing about it is only setting everyone for a disappointment.

Morikawa used to write an excellent manga, I wonder if he will be able to make this "Ippo's weakness" poo poo work.

It's a really bad idea to even get any hope up at all that it'll be genuinely huge.

Of course, he's got to ACT like it's huge, like absolutely everything gets played up even if it seems utterly retarded ("My glove extends 2 cm, this totally fucks you up royally for some reason!").

I think anyone with half a brain knows all the logical weaknesses Ippo has, which is why whatever comes up is probably going to be some contrived and stupid way of tying them all together somehow.

It might come down to him not being able to think for himself well and only following strategies that Kamogawa has set for him, which are now predictable, so his weakness there being that he doesn't think for himself, he's too reliant on his coach, something like that.

Of course if it does go down that route then obviously what will happen is Ippo fighting to prove that the Coach's boxing is all he needs to take on the world, i.e. Miyata vs Randy boy 2.0.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kamogawa's ringside strategies mostly consist of 'use infighting and don't lose no matter how much you get hit'. I'm pretty sure Ippo has that much figured out by now.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Mr. Deathy posted:

It might come down to him not being able to think for himself well and only following strategies that Kamogawa has set for him, which are now predictable, so his weakness there being that he doesn't think for himself, he's too reliant on his coach, something like that.
The extension of that could be that he's memorized Ippo's timing, or possibly that he has a tell, much like in poker.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ippo's weakness is that he does what Kamogawa says. Even from moment to moment inside a match. So he just has to listen to what Kamogawa says and bam, he is reading Ippo's mind.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 928

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Holy poo poo that last page got me excited.

I'm still doubtful as all buggery that anything will result in this, but god drat.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

So close... though last time he was this pissed off, it lasted the better part of a round before he reverted back to regular, wussy Ippo.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

This AGAIN? Come on, are we going to have Takamura eating for two chapters now?

seleena
Mar 5, 2011
Calling it now the "weakness" this guy is ranting on and on about is that ippo doesnt get pissed/angry in the ring and only fights because of boxing love. so by pissing him off, he is fixing the weakness, as to why - he's stated that ippos his favourite boxer so before he retires (hosed up hand) he wants to help level im up.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

seleena posted:

Calling it now the "weakness" this guy is ranting on and on about is that ippo doesnt get pissed/angry in the ring and only fights because of boxing love. so by pissing him off, he is fixing the weakness, as to why - he's stated that ippos his favourite boxer so before he retires (hosed up hand) he wants to help level im up.

That's actually what I hoped would happen. But Morikawa never lets us have good things.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Summary of next fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRAiUPdRjk

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i loving cracked up at "I'll kill him!!"

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I want Ippo to wreck him in 1 round, anything else and I will be extremely upset.

I am setting myself up for a big dissapointment here...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

FiftySeven posted:

I want Ippo to wreck him in 1 round, anything else and I will be extremely upset.

I am setting myself up for a big dissapointment here...

"I want X, but I wont get it" -this whole thread

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Ask him how it felt after the match
Man. The context of it makes it seem like a pretty awesome one up/burn.

Also, Takamura is still great. Kill him indeed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So pretty much another chapter of "Ippo gon' give it to ya" with no payoff. ARafarfhgg

Actually, most disappointing thing in this chapter is that it looks like Takamura's next championship belt is a walkover.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

After all this manga has gone through I still think it was of the funniest ones I've read. Thanks in most to Takamura.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

So pretty much another chapter of "Ippo gon' give it to ya" with no payoff. ARafarfhgg

Actually, most disappointing thing in this chapter is that it looks like Takamura's next championship belt is a walkover.

If Takamura's fight was meant to be big or challenging, Morikawa would have spend a bunch of chapters building it up, because at this point, building stuff up at a painfully slow pace is what he does best.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

seleena posted:

If this happens, it's more likely he thinks this will fix Ippo's weakness, but Ippo winds up teaching him a lesson that his way is actually better.

So yeah, we can't have nice things.

Seriously though, Ippo's biggest weakness is psyching his opponents out before the match, at least the ones who try it on him first. I would have hoped that would be part of his maturing process, so that at this point in his career he wouldn't get caught flat-footed by every single rude comment at a weigh-in. But this is the closest we've seen, and it's pretty weak.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Fabricated posted:

I think this is just another title defense?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the championships are against eagles, hawks and other powerful predators. The defenses are against Disney and Warner Brother's characters.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
929 is up.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Edmond Dantes posted:

929 is up.

Ippo's fatal flaw: when he gets angry he gets high as a loving kite

that cover page is great tho

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 22, 2011

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Look at that smug-rear end face on the last page.

Did Date look weird to anyone else? I guess it really shows how much the art style has changed over the years.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Come onnn Drunken Fist Ippo.

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Ippo the smuggest boxer. Smug as poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo that two page spread. Almost made this entire build up worth it. Almost

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Jesus Christ this will own if he just floors him

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well that certainly is a face. :shepface:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dexo posted:

Holy poo poo that two page spread. Almost made this entire build up worth it. Almost

This. A million times this.

But I'm just bracing myself for the inevitable moment when Ippo realizes he's in over his head, then pulls out a win through sheer force of will. Which will completely negate the two page smugface spread. *sigh* Prove me wrong, Morikawa, prove me wrong. Please. Dear god please.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the spread was cool, but anyone else worried about all that Miyata crap? It pretty much means there will be more to the fight than just a quick beatdown.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Hortism posted:

Yeah the spread was cool, but anyone else worried about all that Miyata crap? It pretty much means there will be more to the fight than just a quick beatdown.

I think it could go either way. We can interpret Miyata's dad's words as meaning that Ippo's gonna flip a switch and be scarier than Miyata thought, and Miyata needs to light a fire under his own rear end, or that Ippo's opponent will surprise Ippo, and show Miyata that he must never let down his guard. So I think it's just a red herring, and serves only to get Miyata at the fight.

KoB
May 1, 2009
This chapter was already hilarious with Sendo and Mashiba, smugface Ippo just made it even better.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This chapter got my hopes up far far too much. The disappointment to come is inevitable but a little part of me hopes...

Could this be the fight where Ippo finally just wrecks an opponent so badly that he gains some loving perspective and confidence and finally acts like a champion who could take on the world stage?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

FiftySeven posted:

Could this be the fight where Ippo finally just wrecks an opponent so badly that he gains some loving perspective and confidence and finally acts like a champion who could take on the world stage?

It's been twenty years. He will literally never change Ippo's mannerisms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Ippo is on dope.

The author should turn this manga into a full on comedy. Doesn't handle suspense that well.