Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Pakistan's civilian government is sane, and it's only their opinion that really matters when it comes to the War in Afghanistan.

Um. Unless Pakistan's public does what Egypt's public or Libya's public did, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Xandu posted:

It's impossible to overstate how big of a deal the Raymond Davis is over there.

That's what he said.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Tadhg posted:

While some rebels are claiming that pro-Gaddafi troops haven't fully claimed the town, I'd be amazed if there was any meaningful resistance left in the town after the recent offensive push by Gaddafi's forces.

I really hope that the new military management and reorganizing of rebel forces has a profoundly good effect on their effectiveness. :(

They need armor and artillery of their own. You can't win in open desert ground warfare without it.

New Division fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 10, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2011/03/2011310101413705407.html

Clinton to meet Libyan rebels

quote:

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, is to meet with leaders of Libya's opposition council during a trip to the Middle East next week, she has told US lawmakers.

Clinton's statement of intent comes as France on Thursday became the first major European country to recognise Libya's opposition National Council based in Benghazi as the country's legitimate representative. In a separate joint statement with the United Kingdom, France also called for the Gaddafi "clique" to leave office.

"We are reaching out to the opposition inside and outside of Libya," Clinton said while announcing her trip to Tunisia and Egypt.

"I will be meeting with some of those figures, both in the United States and when I travel next week, to discuss what more the United States and others can do," she said

Next week might be too late if they don't install UN no fly zones or support. But it's a pretty straight forward declaration of support.

That's some mad max poo poo right there.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 10, 2011

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

New Division posted:

They need armor and artillery of their own. You can't win in open desert ground warfare without it.

From the Guardian's Live blog:

quote:

The rebel movement in eastern Libya said it did not see any problem over obtaining more weapons. Mustafa Gheriani, media officer for the rebel National Libyan Council in Benghazi, said: "Our military committee is assessing what we need. A no-fly zone will be great, but our troops will also be facing tanks. We will see whether we need to make [arms] purchases. I do not see getting arms as an issue. Qatar and many other countries have offered to help."

Granted, it doesn't sound like he's talking about tanks/artillery, but it's still something.

Deacon Blues
Aug 8, 2007

by I Ozma Myself
I really hope we don't give anyone weapons. That trick always bites us on the rear end later.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Deacon Blues posted:

I really hope we don't give anyone weapons. That trick always bites us on the rear end later.
That's okay. I'm sure there're a lot of other countries chomping at the bit to make a buck off this. And since Gaddhafi is a pariah again, that means they can only sell to "Free Libya".
Also, their position is in no significant danger in the short-term, given how much time it took Gaddhafi to capture Zawiyah. And a big factor in that was the inability of the rebels to receive supplies and reinforcements. Stop freaking out people.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
From the BBC's Libya Revolt live blog today:

"2116: The US says it will closely monitor the situation in Saudi Arabia. From White House deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes: "What we have said to the Saudis and to all the people of the region is that we're going to support a set of universal values in any country in the region and that includes the right to peaceful assembly, to peaceful protests, to peaceful speech."

Lip service to "liberty" in order to look good on the international stage, or do you think the U.S. would actually run the economic risk of sanctioning Saudi Arabia or even intervening on humanitarian ground?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It would take quite a lot for the US, or any other country, to even consider doing that.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
US Director of National Intelligence says Gaddafi will prevail. Outside help could change that though. Click the link for details.

In somewhat related news, Clapper (the DNI) has been asked to resign by Senator Graham over statements that China (along with Russia) is our greatest strategic threat.

http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/03/10/director_national_intelligence_china_poses_greatest_threat_to_us.html
http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/03/10/sen_graham_calls_on_dni_clapper_to_resign.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

From The Guardian

The Guardian posted:

Nato was left paralysed as the US joined Germany in blocking the imposition of a no-fly zone supported by Britain and France. Robert Gates, the US defence secretary, said at a meeting of Nato defence ministers in Brussels that contingency planning for a no-fly zone would continue, before adding "that's the extent of it".

What the gently caress? I thought Obama had said "all options are on the table". Why is the US (and germany) blocking this? I mean, Gates' position seems to be clear - that imposing no-fly means airstrikes on ground-based anti-air defenses - but that's not the same thing as ruling out no-fly zones entirely, or blocking the English/French plan.

And meanwhile (from the same article):

The Guardian posted:

The differences within the EU came as the US director of national intelligence, James Clapper, told Congress the rebels may face defeat because Gaddafi's forces are considerably better equipped. Clapper told the Senate's armed services committee the insurgents were in for a "tough roll" and in the longer term "the regime will prevail". He said: "We believe Gaddafi is in this for the long haul. He appears to be hunkering down for the duration."

So here's a US official telling congress that Ghaddafi "will prevail". He's already calling it. And he went on to avoid questions from congressmen about whether that implies we need to hurry the gently caress up and help with a no-fly zone.

I've been vocal previously about how a NFZ isn't all that easy to just do, but I think we're continuing to see a lot of uncoordinated statements between various US officials, in particular Obama, Clinton, Gates, and now Clapper. The president needs to get his people on the same loving page. This is embarrassing and massively harmful to the people in these countries who need to know whether they're going to get international support, or be hung out to dry, in both the short and long term.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Some simple man-portable modern ATGM's would be sufficient to stem Gaddafi's armoured attacks on the rebel cities. If head-on attacks resulted in burning T-72's, it would force them to have infantry lead the way. Artillery would then be the biggest problem.

Libyan army has some 400 French MILAN missile launchers (there's also Soviet AT-3, AT-4 and AT-5 but they're not so good), and presumably some have fallen in the rebels hands. These are 1970's technology but they're still very accurate and powerful weapons. Not sure which type of missile Libyans have, the oldest ones are not nearly as effective as the latest ones, but even then I think it would be sufficient. Libyan T-72's don't have the latest upgrades, I think (Libya made a deal about this with Russia in 2010 but it's so recent that I doubt it had even started yet). Milan does have a little weakness, though - it has a minimum range of 400 meters (due to the way the optics work), but this isn't so much of a problem in Libya. Maximum range is 4 km, beyond the range where T-72's can return effective fire.

France could probably supply the rebels with plenty more MILAN launchers and more modern missiles, as well as training in their use. I think training is the biggest hurdle right now.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

StickySweater posted:

US Director of National Intelligence says Gaddafi will prevail. Outside help could change that though. Click the link for details.

In somewhat related news, Clapper (the DNI) has been asked to resign by Senator Graham over statements that China (along with Russia) is our greatest strategic threat.

http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/03/10/director_national_intelligence_china_poses_greatest_threat_to_us.html
http://realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/03/10/sen_graham_calls_on_dni_clapper_to_resign.html

The NSA, Donilon, is getting a lot of poo poo for his remarks on Clapper's statement, but I think he's right. Clapper's analysis was poo poo and while Gaddafi is in it for the long haul, he doesn't have a lot of options.

http://www.cnas.org/blogs/abumuqawama/2011/03/quote-day-what-do-you-pay-us-edition.html posted:

MR. DONILON: Well ... I guess I'd answer -- I would answer -- I would answer it this way: that if you did a static and one-dimensional assessment of just looking at order of battle and mercenaries, right, you came come to various conclusions about the various advantages that the Gadhafi regime and the opposition has.

But our view is -- my view is -- as the person who looks at this quite closely every day and advises the president, is that things in the Middle East right now and things in Libya in particular right now need to be looked at not through a static, but a dynamic, and not through a unidimensional but a multidimensional lens. And if you look at it in that way, beyond a narrow view, right, on just kind of numbers of weapons and things like that, you get a very different picture.

The loss of legitimacy matters. The isolation of the regime matters. Denying the regime resources matters, and this can affect the sustainability of their efforts over time. Motivation matters, and incentives matter. The people of Libya are determined to affect their future.

And indeed, Jake, if you had looked at this just through a static, unidimensional lens 45 days ago, and you and I had been discussing whether or not it was possible that the Gadhafi regime would lose half -- control over half the people in his country, we would say probably not. But change is the order of the day in the Middle East right now. And again, you have to look at things fresh, and you have to take into account, as I said, the dynamics, right, as well as the multidimensional nature of it.

The last thing I'll say is that a static, unidimensional analysis does not take into account steps that can be taken in cooperation with the opposition going forward here. So I understand how -- you know, I do this every day. I understand how someone can do a static analysis, order of battle, numbers of weapons and things like that, but I don't think that's the most informative analysis, frankly. I think the analysis needs to be dynamic, and it needs to be multidimensional.

edit: Don't even get me started on his remarks about Russia/China...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

StickySweater posted:

The mind boggles. Watching the first video, I can understand Clapper's perspective: his job, day in and day out, is to assess the capabilities of other countries. And while (as he said) we have START with Russia, we have no such anti-proliferation treaty with China, who is of course a (massively) nuclear-armed country.

But. But. You don't sit there in a loving publicly-broadcast, reported-around-the-world meeting with Congress and state, as a US military/intelligence official, that you thing China has the intent of attacking the US. You could see him kind of starting to backpedal a little at the end there, talking about how his job is to assess threat and he can't really say what a country's intent is (no kidding, for that matter most countries can't easily be said to have a singular "intent", since they're made up of people with different intentions and agendas that often compete with each other), but it doesn't matter. The soundbite that's going to be played all over the world, is going to go along with the headline "US Regards China Its Biggest Enemy".

I hate to agree with Senator Graham, but that guy needs to be publicly and noisily fired by Obama, and his statements clearly and unambiguously repudiated. The last thing we need right now is to antagonize our most important trade partner and the largest holder of US debt.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Xandu posted:

It would take quite a lot for the US, or any other country, to even consider doing that.

I know, which is why I found it curious that the U.S. was even making the slightest hint of disapproving of the Saudi crackdown on protesters.

Leperflesh posted:

U.S. and Germany say No to the No-Fly Zone

:ughh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm somewhat put at easy that even someone who is the director of National Intelligence of the world's premier military power can be so breathtakingly wrong.

Unless of course he has access to information we don't (almost certainly) and he has a good reason to think so (still no good reason to publicly announce it) and he turns out to be right. Boy will my face be red!

Not going to happen though. Gaddafi can't win this any more. Unless he has Bond-superweapons like hidden nukes or orbital lasers or a secret superarmy he's done for, it's just a matter of time.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Leperflesh posted:

I've been vocal previously about how a NFZ isn't all that easy to just do

I'd say that the US's previous success in destroying Iraqi air defenses without casualty is proof enough that modern stealth technology coupled with anti-radar missiles and smart bombs is enough to establish a NFZ with minimal risk. Of course that's only if the US fully commits, which given their position as of late is unlikely to happen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amandyke posted:

I'd say that the US's previous success in destroying Iraqi air defenses without casualty is proof enough that modern stealth technology coupled with anti-radar missiles and smart bombs is enough to establish a NFZ with minimal risk. Of course that's only if the US fully commits, which given their position as of late is unlikely to happen.

That's without coalition casualty. I'm sure lots of Iraqis were killed. Which is my concern, really. The first time we hit a building that's marked on our intelligence maps as being an anti-aircraft emplacement, but it turns out is in rebel hands and/or was being used as a temporary hospital for sick orphans or whatever, we'll have a problem.

Which is of course part of the calculus of the whole thing. Not just "can we do it" but "can we do it without killing innocent Libyans". Along with (probably more important to US officials) "can we do it without giving real and significant political ammunition to other dictators regarding US interventionism/colonialism/imperialism".

We do not want to help Libyan rebels in the short term by using methods that, say, wind up preventing an Iranian revolution down the line.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
I guarantee you if we weren't spending so much money on military campaigns in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere, instituting a no fly zone above Libya wouldn't be much of a problem.

It's not just the current cost of instituting a no fly zone, it's the future prospects. What happens if the No Fly Zone happens and the Gadaffi forces begin to advance? We'll be forced to send in troops.

There are so many possible contingencies beneath the surface of just "Well - institute a no fly zone. Case closed"

It's really expensive.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tadhg posted:

A Degtyaryov "record player"? They're hauling out the old iron I see.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Leperflesh posted:

"can we do it without giving real and significant political ammunition to other dictators regarding US interventionism/colonialism/imperialism".

This is likely why the US is taking the position they are. There's enough bad blood and fury at the US for past events.

Sivias posted:

It's not just the current cost of instituting a no fly zone, it's the future prospects. What happens if the No Fly Zone happens and the Gadaffi forces begin to advance? We'll be forced to send in troops.

I don't follow your logic there, could you explain how a ground advancement following a US led NFZ would obligate the US to send in ground forces?

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 11, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sivias posted:

I don't think there's any scenario here that would "force" the US to send in troops.

However. What if we impose a NFZ and the libyan civil war grinds to a stalemate that lasts for months... or years? When do we call a halt? How much can we spend, in money, equipment, and political capital, before we draw a line and say we're taking down the NFZ?

And here's another possibility. Suppose we help the rebels, they defeat Ghaddafi in glorious revolution... and then impose a new regime which we find repugnant? Like, some military leader that flipped to the rebels takes over, or they create a hardcore islamist state, or they are really regressive in regards to women's rights. There's a certain amount of "you broke it you bought it" that happens (certainly happened in afghanistan) and we have to seriously consider this stuff. It's too easy to get jubilant about huddled masses yearning to be free and their patriotic struggle for liberation in the face of a madman and his evil forces of darkness.

Which I am. I am totally on the side of the libyan freedom-fighters.

But I'm really glad I'm not in a position to have to face the consequences, if we intervene and things go wrong. I can commiserate with the people who are.

I hope they do their soul-searching and decide that, despite the risks, we have to help, because I don't know if the libyan people can do it on their own at this point, and if they suffer ongoing losses, they might lose heart.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Amandyke posted:

I posted an article on it earlier, but there's an idea that a NFZ does not have to include all of Libya, just enough of it to discourage pilots from going beyond a safe zone into the east, or even taking off at all.

quote:

The secretary of defense, Robert Gates, has said that a no-fly zone would be “a big operation in a big country” and would begin with an attack on Libyan air defense systems. But General McPeak said that the no-fly zone would be imposed over those parts of the country that Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi doesn’t control. That may remove the need to take out air defense systems pre-emptively, he said. And, in any case, he noted that the United States operated a no-fly zone over Iraq for more than a decade without systematically eradicating all Iraqi air defense systems in that time.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Young Freud posted:

A Degtyaryov "record player"? They're hauling out the old iron I see.

Looks like a frizbee launcher to me, Libyans love ultimate and disc golf.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Well, my point was simply If A then B.

Let's say the Gaddafi ground force succeeds in pushing east and taking ground despite a no fly zone and air support. If the rebellion is put down, what will it mean to keep a NFZ on a sovereign nation? We wouldn't be able to let that happen, so if Gaddafi begins to make a lot of ground it must be stopped. The only way to stop it would be to fight it with our own ground forces.

e: I'm not saying it would happen, or is at all likely. But these sort of possible contingencies must be considered before taking such drastic actions. To do otherwise would be irresponsible.

\/\/\/ Exactly.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 11, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sivias posted:

Let's say the Gaddafi ground force succeeds in pushing east and taking ground despite a no fly zone and air support. If the rebellion is put down, what will it mean to keep a NFZ on a sovereign nation? We wouldn't be able to let that happen, so if Gaddafi begins to make a lot of ground it must be stopped. The only way to stop it would be to fight it with our own ground forces.

Ah, I get you. We'd either have to escalate, or give up and admit defeat and go home. Either option would be political disaster for whichever president had to make that decision.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Sivias posted:

The beauty if a NFZ is that you now have Air Superiority. We'd have no need for boots on the ground when the rebels could simply radio in enemy troop movements and fighter bombers could then decimate the enemy. Being unchallenged in the air is a hell of a thing.

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls
Looks like we have our first hat contender over in Libya.

Courtesy of the Guardian

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Amandyke posted:

The beauty if a NFZ is that you now have Air Superiority. We'd have no need for boots on the ground when the rebels could simply radio in enemy troop movements and fighter bombers could then decimate the enemy. Being unchallenged in the air is a hell of a thing.

Yes, Air superiority and all of our technology is very good - but you must also consider what a NFZ means politically. It would be a direct sign that we are not only on the side of the protesters, but we will actively assist them in their cause.
We have to consider the rest of the nations around the region who are all participating in similar protests. The ripples extend beyond cognition. What happens when a nation overthrows it's government and is upset that we didn't help them in their time of need? There are so many contingencies.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Amandyke posted:

So we're seeing. :smith:

How likely is it that individual countries could opt to enforce a NFZ on their own, without the NATO/UN green light?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amandyke posted:

How do we establish secure, authenticated communications with the rebels on the ground? How do we make sure Ghaddafi forces don't call in posing as rebels and ordering airstrikes on orphanages and hospitals?

The answer is with military coordinators trained in such operations, on the ground, embedded with rebel troops, and risking their lives. And support networks for them. Logistics. Communications. Etc.

It's complex. I agree you can impose a simple no fly zone fairly unilaterally. But fighting a proxy war is difficult and messy. We fought one in afghanistan by arming and supporting the Northern Alliance, but we did not and could not have done it without US troops on the ground, although we did limit the scope and number of those troops for a long time (and the result was a ten-year afghanistani quagmire).

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

Is there a good hash tag twitter source, or twitter-er to follow the protests in Saudi Arabia?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Tadhg posted:

How likely is it that individual countries could opt to enforce a NFZ on their own, without the NATO/UN green light?

Highly unlikely. That said it would be an interesting turn of events to see if the UN would then scramble to backup said country in their efforts. Not that it would happen (and it would open up some kind of can of worms) but I'd love to see Israel do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Amandyke posted:

Highly unlikely. That said it would be an interesting turn of events to see if the UN would then scramble to backup said country in their efforts. Not that it would happen (and it would open up some kind of can of worms) but I'd love to see Israel do it.

Jesus wept. If Israel sent fighter planes into libya to make airstrikes and shoot down (arabic, muslim) fighters, I think it'd spark off a full-scale middle-eastern war.

Short of deploying nuclear weapons, I can't think of a worse possible development.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

What the gently caress? I thought Obama had said "all options are on the table". Why is the US (and germany) blocking this? I mean, Gates' position seems to be clear - that imposing no-fly means airstrikes on ground-based anti-air defenses - but that's not the same thing as ruling out no-fly zones entirely, or blocking the English/French plan.

Speaking of Germany,

quote:

Merkel surprised at French recognition of Libya opposition

German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday expressed surprise at France's recognition of Libya's opposition national council and warned against the "use of military means" to target Moamer Kadhafi's regime.

"Merkel is surprised that France has recognised the national council," said a statement issued by the German lower house of parliament
"This is not a recognition in international law," Merkel was quoted as saying, adding that "there has been a series of French initiatives which have not been known until very recently."

The statement said Merkel underlined the "scepticism of the German government over the use of military means in Libya."

France on Thursday moved to recognise the rebels as the country's rightful representatives.

President Nicolas Sarkozy made the move as the EU leadership hesitated to recognise the rebels, ahead of a summit to discuss the conflict between Kadhafi loyalists and rebel forces.

source

While she's not outright saying it, the undertone that it's a bad idea is there. Hopefully other European sountries won't be as reluctant as Germany.

In the meantime, Gadhafi continues to sell petrol to German drivers:

quote:

While Colonel Moammar Gadhafi continues to hang onto power in Libya, the United Nations and the European Union hope to choke him into submission through sanctions. But Gadhafi still has income sources in Germany.

It's a normal day at the HEM gas station in Bonn's Hausdorffstrasse. Some traffic – no more or less than usual, says a local. Diesel costs 1.44 euros ($2) per liter, petrol 1.52 euros, and Super Plus 1.58 euros - a few cents less than at other gas stations.

The Hamburg Eggert Mineralöle (HEM) chain of gas stations belongs to the Tamoil corporation. Tamoil, in turn, belongs to the Dutch company Oilinvest. And Oilinvest is 100-percent-owned by the Libyan Investment Authority, the state holding company that manages the Libyan government's investment funds, and is therefore under the control of Colonel Moammar Gadhafi.

"I need fuel, so I get it here," says one customer at the station.

Elvira Drobinski-Weiss, parliamentary spokeswoman on consumer affairs for the Social Democratic Party (SPD), sees this as a moral failure. She is calling on consumers to take a stand on the situation in Libya by turning away from HEM gas stations.

"We should boycott this company out of solidarity with the Libyan people, who are being murderously attacked by Gadhafi," says Drobinski-Weiss.

But customers at this particular gas station don't seem too concerned.

"There are people who are supposed to keep everything ordered over there," says one driver.

"Everything is linked to everything else, whether it comes from here or from there," another says. "I can't exactly go in and ask where they get their gas from. I have to get home, and I need petrol, so I am buying it here."

HEM are not eager to talk about the company's connections to the Gadhafi clan. The leaseholder at this gas station simply says: "I'm not giving any information here. That has to go through the Tamoil press office."

Catrin Bedi, spokeswoman for Tamoil, is equally taciturn. "Please understand that we can't comment on political developments," she told Deutsche Welle.

Stringent sanctions

Tamoil runs 395 gas stations in Germany, with a turnover of 1.6 billion euros. In 2009, the company turned a profit of 97 million euros.

Last week, the EU implemented its sanctions against Libya, banning all weapons exports, freezing assets, and imposing a travel ban on 26 leading members of the Gadhafi regime.

At first, the sanctions affected only those individuals named, and not the Libyan state itself. But on Wednesday the EU upped the ante: funds belonging to the Libyan Investment Authority, which owns HEM, were also frozen. But the money has not gone away – it remains unclear whether the Gadhafi regime will one day get its hands on it anyway.

source

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tadhg posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Curious minds want to enquire, if the Sarkozy government goes fully in support of the Libyan opposition and they fall, how much of an egg to face would that be for him?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Sivias posted:

Let's say the Gaddafi ground force succeeds in pushing east and taking ground despite a no fly zone and air support.

Against Western Air superiority, conventional military victory is implausible if not outright impossible. Especially considering that they aren't doing so well already.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Curious minds want to enquire, if the Sarkozy government goes fully in support of the Libyan opposition and they fall, how much of an egg to face would that be for him?

My guess is that the French will say something like he was the only one who recognized a democratic movement in Libya and tried to help while other world leaders sat around twiddling their thumbs until it was too late. The other countries who didn't recognize the opposition as being valid failed in their duty to uphold the virtues of freedom and democracy that they claim they uphold for everyone.

Or at least that's how I'd play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

davebo posted:

I was hoping somebody would run with that.

• Locked thread