Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
huh...when did the thread title change?

e: for new page - this was not a great weekend for my car:

My neighbor tried to use my other space to make a 3-point turn and failed at it. He didn't tell me about it until the next day after I'd gone out driving, but at least he told me.

I found tire damage on the same area, but I don't think it's related. I'm not sure how it did happen though, since there's no rash on the wheel right there. Road debris, I guess.

Would that amount of sidewall damage be dangerous? No threads are showing, if that matters.

televiper fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I think it changed last night. I logged on this morning and could've sworn the title was megathread at least yesterday.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Sidewall rubber is mostly superficial unlike the tread, so chunks coming out of it shouldn't really be a concern. If it were bulging that means you penetrated the load bearing cord which is dangerous.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Sooo I managed to get my '92 stuck in reverse. Apparently you can do this pretty easily.. but it's not too tough to fix.

:woop: Note to self, don't pull the car out of gear REALLY fast from 5th.

Edit: Out of GEAR not reverse

Blaise fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 15, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Blaise posted:

:woop: Note to self, don't pull the car out of reverse REALLY fast from 5th.

:confused: details?

I'd like to avoid this

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
He managed to slingshot it into a combination of fifth and reverse.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

aventari posted:

:confused: details?

I'd like to avoid this

http://www.miata.net/garage/stuckreverse.html

Really wasn't that bad of a fix. Don't know how I managed to get home though... just noticed things felt weird during the last 1-2 minutes of driving and that I couldn't select 5th anymore.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Just ordered this on a whim. Hope it helps my critical stoplight to stoplight corner exit speed.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Surely you'll gain crucial seconds on your "Right on red" heel-toe !

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Over the course of a year I could shave DOZENS of seconds off my commute.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Miata oil changes suck. They are worse on the Mazdaspeed because the engine bays get hotter. I'm thinking we need to put a filter relocation kit on there next change.

What oil do you guys run? I have put 0W30 in twice now and it seems to run well with that. Also how does the OEM Mazda filter compare to M1? I put an OE filter on this time around, it's roughly the same price so I can just put OEM on there if it's the preferred part.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone driven with a gated shifter before? Or done a conversion on their car. They look pretty awesome and who doesn't want more clanking in their interior, although googlefu says it's reduces the ease of shifting.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

Miata oil changes suck. They are worse on the Mazdaspeed because the engine bays get hotter. I'm thinking we need to put a filter relocation kit on there next change.

What oil do you guys run? I have put 0W30 in twice now and it seems to run well with that. Also how does the OEM Mazda filter compare to M1? I put an OE filter on this time around, it's roughly the same price so I can just put OEM on there if it's the preferred part.

I don't have a Mazdaspeed, but I actually find the oil change on my 1.8L to be pretty easy. I crank the wheels all the way to the left and go in through the passenger wheel well to get to the filter. You have to do it by feel, but there's nothing in the way so it's straightforward enough. If you've got really short arms, or want to make it really easy, you can take the wheel off, though that's less convenient. Maybe it's different with the MSM?

I've mostly been using M1/Bosch filters since they sell them at the same store I go get oil from. I'm too lazy to make a separate trip to a dealer just for an oil filter, and I never have enough foresight to order them online. Oh well. Just avoid the cheap crap like Fram et al and I don't think it matters much. :v:

As far as the engine bay getting too hot, you should let all the pipes cool down on any car before you go reaching around in there with bare hands.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Soooo when I first got my miata, the left headlight would pop up fine but not go down. This was mildly annoying but whatever, now it just bounces up and down then refuses to go up unless I pull the fuse and manually adjust it up. Any ideas?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

streetlamp posted:

Soooo when I first got my miata, the left headlight would pop up fine but not go down. This was mildly annoying but whatever, now it just bounces up and down then refuses to go up unless I pull the fuse and manually adjust it up. Any ideas?

Try swapping the relay for the headlight motors out.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

revmoo posted:

Bosch is a great filter, about half the price of M1. OEM is fine too!

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

televiper posted:

I found tire damage on the same area, but I don't think it's related. I'm not sure how it did happen though, since there's no rash on the wheel right there. Road debris, I guess.

Got a lot of potholes in your area? I had an identical gash in my front nearside tyre, probably from driving through one of many massive jagged potholes.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Ok Spring is coming and I have a laundry list of poo poo that I want to get done on the car, and I was hoping to run it by you geniuses first. My radiator sprung a leak up on top right as I was getting ready to put it down for the winter, so I figured I'd just replace it when it got warmer since as far as I know, it's original. Now, I figure once I'm pulling the radiator out, I might as well do as much as I can while I have it out so this is what I'm planning on doing:

Timing Belt
Water pump/gaskets
Thermostat/gasket
Accessory Belt/Idler Pulley
Radiator and possibly upper/lower coolant hoses?

Is there anything else in there I should do while I'm at it? Are there any parts associated with these changes that I'm going to want to replace as well that I've forgotten to list? Lastly, am I better off buying maintenance kits(i.e. http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=17439&cat=289&page=2), or ordering parts individually from somewhere like RockAuto?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Fixed my valve cover gasket a few days ago. Glad thats overwith. Anyone want to buy this thing?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Ill buy the hardtop :)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Third Man posted:

Ok Spring is coming and I have a laundry list of poo poo that I want to get done on the car, and I was hoping to run it by you geniuses first. My radiator sprung a leak up on top right as I was getting ready to put it down for the winter, so I figured I'd just replace it when it got warmer since as far as I know, it's original. Now, I figure once I'm pulling the radiator out, I might as well do as much as I can while I have it out so this is what I'm planning on doing:

Timing Belt
Water pump/gaskets
Thermostat/gasket
Accessory Belt/Idler Pulley
Radiator and possibly upper/lower coolant hoses?

Is there anything else in there I should do while I'm at it? Are there any parts associated with these changes that I'm going to want to replace as well that I've forgotten to list? Lastly, am I better off buying maintenance kits(i.e. http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=17439&cat=289&page=2), or ordering parts individually from somewhere like RockAuto?

I probably yelled at you over Steam once or twice, but if you have access to Mazdaspeed, you can pick up stuff for cheaper from Mazda versus Rosenthal. For example, I put on a new clutch kit when I did my swap and I used the part number from Rosenthal on Mazdaspeed and the price difference was around 25-30 dollars.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Rogz posted:

Got a lot of potholes in your area? I had an identical gash in my front nearside tyre, probably from driving through one of many massive jagged potholes.

Yeah, that could be it, didn't think of that. The DC area is bad for potholes, it's impossible to miss them all.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

crutt posted:

Fixed my valve cover gasket a few days ago. Glad thats overwith. Anyone want to buy this thing?

drat, that's a nice ride. How much are you asking?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

crutt posted:

That is a beautiful color scheme. Bravo.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Beach Bum posted:

That is a beautiful color scheme. Bravo.

OBLIGATORY SYPH0N poo poo

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I ran my '99 to empty finally today and went to fill up. Only filled 9 gallons before it clicked off. Fuel gauge read full. Bad gauge?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

First Time Caller posted:

I ran my '99 to empty finally today and went to fill up. Only filled 9 gallons before it clicked off. Fuel gauge read full. Bad gauge?

I have to fill my '00 up slowly. It'll click off after 5-6 gal then I have to fill the rest slow as hell up to about 9 gal total. I never go totally empty though. I have noticed that the gauge does seem pretty inaccurate, especially at the top and bottom 1/4s.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
I just run the pumps until it clicks off then go on my merry way after checking gallons vs miles to make sure my mileage is still somewhere in the 20-24 range(depending on where I got my last tank of gas, almost entirely) to make sure nothing has gone horribly awry. Who cares if the tank is full to the brim? fill up at 3/8ths tank and don't sweat it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure about the NBs , but I have run an NA dry: 12.6 gallons. Ps- there's no dummy light.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Hot setup crutt.

Nice rainy day in the Santa Cruz mountains.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

First Time Caller posted:

How empty? Fuel light on? Or bone dry, out of fuel?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Phone posted:

I'm not sure about the NBs , but I have run an NA dry: 12.6 gallons. Ps- there's no dummy light.

I was shocked to find that out when I bought my '96. After I read that somewhere I became religious about filling up when my trip odometer hits 250 miles. No idea why since I spend 90% of my driving on the I5 corridor between Seattle and Everett.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

How empty? Fuel light on? Or bone dry, out of fuel?

Gauge on E. No fuel light. Didn't think about that. Also was surprised to find the style bar on my car is a Hard Dog. Saw the label when I pulled my seat back to get at something behind it. Yay, something else I don't need to buy.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 20, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, right, there isn't a light on the Miata, is there? :downs: It's probably been drat near a year since I ran my '99 that low, and my MS3 has one.

The only issues NBs have with fuel is if you get the pump clicking off every tenth or two of a gallon, and that's almost certainly been fixed under the recall by now if your car was affected. "E" on the gauge is right about 9-10 gallons used, you can really push it a good bit past E if you want.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Apparently 00-02 needed to have the gas tank and filler neck replaced to stop the 'hard to fill' problem that mine has. Unfortunately it's not a recall so I'd have to pay through the rear end. Screw that.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, right, there isn't a light on the Miata, is there? :downs: It's probably been drat near a year since I ran my '99 that low, and my MS3 has one.

The only issues NBs have with fuel is if you get the pump clicking off every tenth or two of a gallon, and that's almost certainly been fixed under the recall by now if your car was affected. "E" on the gauge is right about 9-10 gallons used, you can really push it a good bit past E if you want.
Most I've ever gone in my NB is 11.5 gallons. My gauge was well past the E. It was very exciting.

Somehow I only managed 260 miles out of that tank, though.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Whenever I use the vacuum at the car wash I always feel ripped off because it runs for about 5 mins and you can vacuum the entire car in like 45 seconds.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, right, there isn't a light on the Miata, is there? :downs:

NCs do, but I can't speak for any prior gens. The needle still falls like a rock after just past the last 1/4 though.

FuncType
Mar 29, 2007

Tactical Wiener Lover

televiper posted:

NCs do, but I can't speak for any prior gens. The needle still falls like a rock after just past the last 1/4 though.

My NB has an idiot light. Suffers from a similar hangup on accuracy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
My 2000 NB did not have an warning light. My gauge didn't have any accuracy problems though it was always dead on reliable for me :confused: