Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

pg2011 posted:

Ok so this is some plugging but hopefully you guys enjoy it.

About a year ago I started working on my own mashup after listening Hood Internet, Super Mash Bros, ect and deciding I could do that myself. Last month I finally released my album. Everything is mixed together (because stand alone mashups are kind of boring, imo) and I'm really proud of it. It's called One Hour and I released it under the name Bong Quixote.

Download link and sample list: http://same.bemaniso.ws/onehour/
I enjoyed some of the songs on your album, good job. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I just discovered this site

http://mashupbreakdown.com/feed-the-animals

It doesn't have very many albums, but I seem to recall someone mentioning that this would be a good idea for a site.

This is definitely useful if you are interesting in something specific on one of the songs.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

pg2011 posted:

About a year ago I started working on my own mashup after listening Hood Internet, Super Mash Bros, ect and deciding I could do that myself. Last month I finally released my album. Everything is mixed together (because stand alone mashups are kind of boring, imo) and I'm really proud of it. It's called One Hour and I released it under the name Bong Quixote.

I really like this too, went ahead and showed it to some of my friends. Nice stuff :)

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I downloaded Girl Talk's All Day yesterday (my first exposure to mashup) and loved it. Now I'm listening to Milkman's Algorithms and it's pretty good, too. :)
Where should I go?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Fun Times! posted:

I downloaded Girl Talk's All Day yesterday (my first exposure to mashup) and loved it. Now I'm listening to Milkman's Algorithms and it's pretty good, too. :)
Where should I go?

Earlier Girl Talk and Milkman and Super Mash Bros and Ludachrist.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
DJ Whoquestion just released a new single, Emotional Girl (California Face)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ZtM4ZV5s4
(download link in his desc)

2nd half is Xzibit and Janis. :cool:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

pg2011 posted:

Downloading.

Any tips for someone trying to do some of the same stuff?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does Ludachrist release his stuff as individual tracks (besides Legend of Curtis)? I'm loving Bangfest but can't stand long mix tracks on my ipod.
e. This poo poo rules.
e2. Actually read the thread and noticed a fine goon compiled the new album in split-track form. Good stuff.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 27, 2011

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone going to the Girl Talk show in Miami in May? I'm super stoked. Tickets go on sale the 2nd.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The White Panda's Pandamonium is out now. Go download http://thewhitepanda.bandcamp.com/

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fun Times! posted:

Where should I go?

What Nam Taf said, plus DJ Car Stereo (Wars). I think DJ CSW's best album is "Explains It All".

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Oh man, this is the best thread ever. I am really into mashups right now and seeing all these different artists is fantastic because the only two mashup artists I knew of were Girl Talk and Super Mash Bros until now.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
there's some really sloppy audio editing in it but as far as the melodies of both songs, I always liked how the papa roach / milian mash worked http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9z1jvtxL_c

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I listened to Girl Talk years ago and liked it well enough, but didn't find it held up to repeat listens. Is there anybody specializing in less schizophrenic, more meditative mixes, that don't abandon a catchy hook every thirty seconds? Albums would be great.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Equilibrium posted:

I listened to Girl Talk years ago and liked it well enough, but didn't find it held up to repeat listens. Is there anybody specializing in less schizophrenic, more meditative mixes, that don't abandon a catchy hook every thirty seconds? Albums would be great.

Try out the 2ManyDJ's "As Heard on Radio Soulwax" mixes. Those are great.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Try out the 2ManyDJ's "As Heard on Radio Soulwax" mixes. Those are great.

Speaking of, where the hell can I find those legally? The only place I could find it last I checked was listed, but out of stock and shipping from Europe, on Amazon.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Equilibrium posted:

how long is years ago? do you remember which CD? his first 2 mixes were more ADD. Nightripper is a little better but not as good as FTA.

check out Milkman. someone noted earlier how his songs usually follow the same beat, if that makes sense.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

I've recently gone back and listened to some mixes that are exactly like this. The transitions are really smooth.

http://hauntedshit.com/music/mixes/cutups-teenage_obsessions.mp3
http://hauntedshit.com/music/itsthelasttime.mp3
http://hauntedshit.com/music/downloadlife2.mp3

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Chwoka posted:

Speaking of, where the hell can I find those legally? The only place I could find it last I checked was listed, but out of stock and shipping from Europe, on Amazon.

As far as I know (pretty sure it's mentioned earlier in the thread) that the only one you can legally obtain is As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt 2 because it's the only one that they'd ever gotten the samples cleared from.

Wikipedia to the rescue!!!

Basically all that means is either pay through the nose for an "offical" bootleg, or DIY & spend nothing.

E: Pt 2 is on Amazon though.

YET ANOTHER FAG fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 2, 2011

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005
What are everyone's thoughts on the new white panda album?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Thanks guys, you own.

This is like the realized Platonic Form of what I was looking for. cooool

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 2, 2011

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

mister ginger posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the new white panda album?

I like it. Their stuff is consistently great. But I have to say that I've listened to it a few times now while doing other things and there haven't been very many moments that have really stuck out and grabbed me, so it's perhaps a bit less distinctive than I was hoping.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

As far as I know (pretty sure it's mentioned earlier in the thread) that the only one you can legally obtain is As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt 2 because it's the only one that they'd ever gotten the samples cleared from.

Wikipedia to the rescue!!!

Basically all that means is either pay through the nose for an "offical" bootleg, or DIY & spend nothing.

E: Pt 2 is on Amazon though.

Their official website, which is confusing as hell to navigate and I am notabout to go look for the page again, says that the only one they can guarantee is one they made is Pt. 2, and the rest are cobbled together from radio appearances and things made by other people.

icicle bob
Mar 14, 2008

My name is Gato/I have metal joints/Beat me up/And earn fifteen silver points!
I loving love Ludachrist

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So I've been a big fan of The Kleptones for ages, but I've never really seen them recommended anywhere. My favorite album of theirs is 24 Hours, but their last actual release Uptime/Downtime has certainly rivaled it.

What do you all think?

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa
Uptime/Downtime was amazing

pg2011
Feb 23, 2008

I can see clearly now
The brain is gone...

CARAM posted:

Downloading.

Any tips for someone trying to do some of the same stuff?
Get really good at Ableton Live. IMO, there's not a better program for making mashups but the learning curve is pretty horrendous. After you get your technical skills down, all that really separates mashup artists is music selection and imagination.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Apparently Loo and Placido have a new mix coming out in the not too distant future. Fuckyeeeeeeeesssssss.

Ace of Space
Apr 29, 2008
Never really heard of this guy titusJONES but I checked out this album he just released and its awesome. Lots of current top 40 sort of songs mashed with older tracks. Mostly faster bits but he slows it down a couple times. Only got through it once so far but I def recommend it so far.

http://www.titusjones.com/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lancemckool posted:

Never really heard of this guy titusJONES but I checked out this album he just released and its awesome. Lots of current top 40 sort of songs mashed with older tracks. Mostly faster bits but he slows it down a couple times. Only got through it once so far but I def recommend it so far.

http://www.titusjones.com/

This is pretty good but I'm really really sick of the way he loudly whispers TITUS JONES at the start of every track. It's jarring. :(

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Lakitu7 posted:

This is pretty good but I'm really really sick of the way he loudly whispers TITUS JONES at the start of every track. It's jarring. :(

Mashup artists dropping their name via MS Sam or some other lovely text 2 speech on every song is a annoying trend.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Tokit posted:

Mashup artists dropping their name via MS Sam or some other lovely text 2 speech on every song is a annoying trend.

The opening part of Ludachrist's Talk is Cheap did this in the best possible way.

Shout out from Lil Jon.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Stopping the music for a horrible transition of some guy who makes a music leaving a recording on your answering machine is really stupid too.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Stopping the music for a horrible transition of some guy who makes a music leaving a recording on your answering machine is really stupid too.

Hahahahahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

(You said a dumb thing.)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lakitu7 posted:

Given how many times I've seen people's mashups taken, relabled, and presented as someone else's over the years, I can respect him doing that.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I can respect it, but that doesn't stop it from annoying me to the point where I won't listen to it very often or promote it like he wants. Certainly it's preferable to him not making music or distributing it, but to the degree one can complain about such a thing in a free product, it's annoying.

The way some others do it at the start/end of the whole album (if I remember correctly, the Lil John sample in question was like that) doesn't really bother me so much. It's annoying, but at least it doesn't interrupt the flow of the album, and it isn't 15 times per hour.

I thought the best was on one of Milkman's albums where he just used that "I wish the milkman would deliver my mail" sample a few times; it was cute and fit well, though obviously that can't be done by a guy whose artist name isn't a dictionary word.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 15, 2011

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
Does anyone listen to Terry Urban? If you like rap at all Viva la Hova is great. If you are looking for something with more seamless transitions between songs check out how my brain works (1,2, and 3).

all his stuff is free on http://www.terryurban.net/

kill your sons
Aug 29, 2005

Charles V. Forge
I've felt like making some songs!
http://kenaim.com//gra423_wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/After-the-gold-rush.mp3
http://kenaim.com//gra423_wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Walking-on-thin-ice.mp3

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Yacht Club DJs uploaded a mixtape to their soundcloud in the lead-up to their performance at the Melbourne F1 GP, called the Side Tracked Mixtape. It's very little/nothing new, just a rearrangement of previous sample combinations they've used (mostly the Demons of Gymnastics album from what I can tell), but I figure some may be interested in it.

Currently there's no download button to get it off soundcloud, though.

They also did a Triple J set in the last few days, I believe. I'm hoping that surfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassyCommander
Apr 23, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

but I figure some may be interested in it.

Thankyou for this, its fresh enough for several re-listens.