Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Freigeist posted:

Zuwara has fallen to Gaddafi troops already, looks like there wasn't a lot of resistance after all.
Except for Misurata I suspect the rest of the cities in the west won't be able to resist much longer either.
All of this may be over much sooner than we thought. Gaddafi will probably emerge victorious in the matter of a few weeks as it looks now. Gonna be pretty embarrassing for the European nations to come crawling back begging for forgiveness.

Really? Because in the past two days we've seen two segments of Gaddafi's army defecting with likely far more to follow. Gaddafi has also apparently stopped capturing cities and started just destroying them (and not being spectacularely successful at that, even when his army isn't defecting, remember Brega was back in rebel hands the same day). Furthermore on an international there's increasing pressure for a NFZ and no support for Tripolitania and an increasing support and formal recognition for the rebels.

Also;

Namarrgon posted:

A lot of people suddenly think Gaddafi is still going to win this? I think even if he was unchallenged militarily (he isn't, remember that most if not all of the rebel's military will be in the east, Zawiyah was relatively undefended) he simply doesn't have the manpower to retake Libya. It would be like the Netherlands trying to occupy Germany; sure our troops could take a big city maybe, but what if you want to take the next one? You have to move out and the former conquered city simply rebels.

The worst case scenario here is a stalemate-ish because of the rebels hesitating to approach Tripoli without air support and Gaddafi shelling a few towns around Tripoli and eventually being starved out or turn into an anarchist hell-hole.

Seriously he can't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Sivias posted:

As if the vehicles are rolling into the city without infantry assistance? Wouldn't they know they're highly vulnerable in an urban environment? I'm sure they're not just rolling in by themselves, especially if they have any training, as the Gaddafi troops are suspected to have.

You'd think so, but better militaries have made the same mistake, and that's without the desperation of a massive amount of defections. I can definately see some Ghaddafi loyalist trying to make a name for himself and rolling in with just armoured vehicles to try and cow the rebels.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sivias posted:

Finally, they said they *captured* the armored vehicles, not destroyed them.
This is a little ambiguous, but doesn't that sort of assume the guys inside surrendered a working vehicle?
In military parlance when vehicles are captured, the crew might be dead, or they might be wounded, or they might have surrendered, or they might have ditched the vehicle and run back to friendly units. Or usually a combination of those. Also, the vehicles might be in a wide range of states, from barely used to barely functional.

However - these are little more than rumours that you are hearing from the battles, not some professional historian's account of the action based on war diaries of both sides, so we don't really know what is meant. I wouldn't give too much credit to any particular tidbits unless they were backed by photos or video and had some more details to them. Internet makes information spread very fast but it doesn't make that information reliable. Especially when there is no source stated.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.

Freigeist posted:

Gonna be pretty embarrassing for the European nations to come crawling back begging for forgiveness.

This is a bit preposterous. The international community and the Arab league has already condemned Gaddafi for crimes against humanity. If he does somehow beat back half of his country (:rolleyes:) The level of exodus of the Libyan people will be so great the international community will be forced to escalate their actions beyond the current discussion of NFZ, etc.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 14, 2011

Paradoxus
Nov 22, 2007
BOCK?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sivias posted:

You see videos of people in vans that just hose through crowds of people, I'm sure any vehicle with any sort of power and armor could easily deal with getting out of some snag engagement.
Finally, they said they *captured* the armored vehicles, not destroyed them.
This is a little ambiguous, but doesn't that sort of assume the guys inside surrendered a working vehicle?

I guess the comment needs some clarity.

From the little I know about shielding vehicles, their is not too much you can do to make yourself completely safe. Bulletproof glass and armor for cars is all fine a dandy when it comes to small-arms fire and might put up a good fight against an M4 but their really is not much you can do against an AK-47 or big blast from an RPG/IED.

Shoot a few AK rounds through the driver side window,even if the glass is "Bullet proof" and you got yourself a captured armored vehicle; Just might be a little shot up and bloody.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Higher Quality Video of Saudi Armour moving into bahrain

The video commentator is talking about how our gulf brothers are working together to maintain the stability and economic gains of the country and further ensuring the countries prosperity and whatnot.

That's alot more armour than I thought they'd send, it seems like the GCC is going to be quite active in making sure the the status quo is maintained for each other.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Stratfor youtube comments are even worse than normal.

quote:

If the GCC didnt intervene, then within 1 week, bahrain would be part of iran!

quote:

You just said military intervention.. The shia's have no chance of victory here,, we just wish that everything goes back to normal soon. And may god bless Saudi Arabia and GCC for reassuring Bahrain's safety.

UAE is also sending (Ar.) forces into Bahrain. They probably won't take action right away, but as soon as the protesters attempt to storm a building or something, it'll get ugly.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ArchDemon posted:

If I were a rebel leader, I'd be making large posters telling the opposing troops that they could enter a friendly zone and be welcomed into our side or something, allowing the loyalist troops a chance to defect without being shot.

IIRC news out of Benghazi back when violence first started breaking out was filled with accounts of troops approaching protesters while saying "Don't worry, we're with you!" and then opening fire at close range.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So... taking advantage of the Egyptian army-people amity and exploiting it in Libya?

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

Namarrgon posted:

Really? Because in the past two days we've seen two segments of Gaddafi's army defecting with likely far more to follow. Gaddafi has also apparently stopped capturing cities and started just destroying them (and not being spectacularely successful at that, even when his army isn't defecting, remember Brega was back in rebel hands the same day). Furthermore on an international there's increasing pressure for a NFZ and no support for Tripolitania and an increasing support and formal recognition for the rebels.

Unless I missed something only a handful of soldiers defected at Misurata, others were killed in the fighting or executed. That stopped progress on that front momentarily, but won't change much in the long run. As long as Gaddafi has all the heavy equipment and his airforce he won't lose militarily.
And I just can't see him running out of supplies or money, he has far more of that than the rebels to begin with and it seems like he is being resupplied with the help of other African dictators. Remember Libya is still exporting oil and he is being paid for it.
Meanwhile all the rebels are getting is medicine and food, can't fight tanks and planes with that.
Unless a big part of his army defects and is not immediately slaughtered, or there is a big uprising in Tripoli I don't see how he can lose right now, the rebel faction is simply too weak militarily to win this.
Honestly, it's not like this is a conclusion I came to on my own, most articles I have read over the last week are basically saying rebels are totally outgunned and pretty much hosed if something big doesn't happen soon.

Edit: Though it's true retaking Cyrenaica is going to be extremely difficult with the few thousand loyal troops he has, even with air support.

neamp fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 14, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

And they are all wrong. I bet 95% of those articles are based on what that quack Director of National Intelligence said.

I also noticed that the media here (Western Europe) is somewhat selective of it's news and broadcasting. They are sometimes subtle things; choice of words, slightly misleading article titles etc and sometimes big things; for example here the nation's most popular online news source hasn't even hinted that Brega is back in rebel hands. Yes if I were to judge purely by what the news reports I'd be inclined to lean towards Gaddafi's inevitable victory as well.

The best case scenario for Gaddafi is holding on to Tripoli more or less indefinitely while it slides into an anarchist hell hole.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Did what happen in Zawiya essentially bog down Qaddafi's forces? I mean, they took the city at a high price, but all that means is now he's dealing with guerrillas and not open fighting. IIRC, fighting is still going on in that city.

Who knows is this Zuwara will be the same? Fake surrendered the city, drive the army in and fight them in guerrilla terms.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

And they are all wrong. I bet 95% of those articles are based on what that quack Director of National Intelligence said.
The worst part is the DCI was at one point supposed to be what the DNI office is...

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
UN's envoy has gotten around to visiting Libya

quote:

* UN special Libya envoy holds first Gaddafi govt meeting

* Libya says envoy to find out about "real situation"

* Envoy has said ready to meet everyone

(Adds details and background)

TRIPOLI, March 14 (Reuters) - United Nations special envoy Abdelilah Al-Khatib held his first talks with Libyan officials on Monday on a fact-finding tour that might include a meeting with rebels pushing for a speedy world response to the conflict.

Khatib, a former Jordanian foreign minister, met Libyan Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa in Tripoli and agreed to hold a second meeting on Tuesday.

"(Khatib) and the accompanying delegation started their visit ... to find out about the real situation in Libya," Jana said. Rashid Khalikov, U.N. humanitarian coordinator for Libya, also attended the meeting, it said.

Khatib said on Friday in New York he was ready to meet all parties in the Libyan conflict to try to end the violence in the North African country. "I think that is essential in order to know the positions and the views of all parties," he said.

Jana did not make any reference to Khatib's visit schedule.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Khatib's main challenge would be humanitarian but he would also deal with "the broader dimension of this crisis, including political issues".

The visit should last several days but it was not imemdiately clear whether Khatib would visit anywhere other than Tripoli, controlled by long-term Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and forces loyal to him.

Gaddafi's warplanes bombed rebels in a counter-offensive on Monday that has pushed them back 100 miles (160 km) in a week, far outpacing the diplomatic efforts to agree on a no-fly zone to help the rebels.

source

Given that he's on a fact finding mission, I really hope he visits more than just Tripoli. I doubt they'd send someone who'd be easily fooled, but unless he verifies himself what's been going on, (especially in Zawiya, Brega and Benghazi), his take on the situation could be very different than the one we've been presented by eyewitness accounts in those cities. When you consider the amount of effort Gaddafi is putting into projecting that everything's fine and the people love him (not that I think he'll believe it), it prevents him from actually finding out the crimes committed against people and what they've gone through.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 14, 2011

Mattksa
Apr 11, 2006
I'm a westerner in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia and got an interesting text on my phone within the past hour from my mobile service. Typing it exactly as it appears on my cell:
<<Bahrain>>
Govr announcement:
-Protesters given a warning & a deadline to evacuate pearl roundabout.
-Army will step in if someone refuses to leave.
-Emergency is declared.
-Army will spread out in every city.
-Martial law is introduced.
-Curfew as well.

So it looks like poo poo's going down tomorrow or the next day. I've been to Bahrain a few times since the protests broke out and it's been quite calm. The Pearl Roundabout was obviously a no-go but everything else was operating as usual. I'm hoping this clears up quickly, as Bahrain is a wonderful country and I'd hate to see these protests continue to sully its reputation as a stable financial hub in the Middle East.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Mattksa posted:

I'm hoping this clears up quickly, as Bahrain is a wonderful country and I'd hate to see these protests continue to sully its reputation as a stable financial hub in the Middle East.
You're a bad person. Money is not the issue at this time.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Mattksa posted:

So it looks like poo poo's going down tomorrow or the next day. I've been to Bahrain a few times since the protests broke out and it's been quite calm. The Pearl Roundabout was obviously a no-go but everything else was operating as usual. I'm hoping this clears up quickly, as Bahrain is a wonderful country and I'd hate to see these protests continue to sully its reputation as a stable financial hub in the Middle East.

Those uppity shias, demanding equal rights, fair representation and an end to discrimination. :argh:

e: A Guardian article on the NFZ from the British perspective:

quote:

Britain is to join forces with France and Lebanon in a fresh attempt to isolate Muammar Gaddafi by drawing up a new United Nations security council resolution that would include a threat to impose a no-fly zone over Libya and a toughening of measures against the use of mercenaries.

William Hague declared that the "point of decision" on military intervention in Libya is approaching, as the prime minister warned that "time is of the essence" as the Gaddafi regime tightens its grip. In a statement to MPs, David Cameron said the world would send a "dreadful signal" if the Libyan protesters were crushed.

He asked: "Do we want a situation where a failed, pariah state festers on Europe's southern border, potentially threatening our security, pushing people across the Mediterranean and creating a more dangerous and uncertain world for Britain and for all our allies, as well as for the people of Libya? My answer is clear: this is not in Britain's interests. And that is why Britain will remain at the forefront of Europe in leading the response to this crisis."

Britain is working with France and Lebanon, the current Arab representative on the UN security council, to draw up a fresh resolution outlining the next measures to isolate Gaddafi. This could include:
  • The option of a no-fly zone.

• Tougher measures against mercenaries, naming Mali, Chad and other African countries, which have been the source of soldiers used by the regime. Cameron said: "We should be sending the clearest possible message to those in Mali, in Chad and elsewhere who are thinking of volunteering as mercenaries. We should put into the next UN resolution the strongest possible language about mercenaries."

• Strengthening sanctions against the Gaddafi regime. Cameron is keen to toughen the policing of the UN arms embargo because Britain believes Gaddafi is re-arming. "There are signs that he is seeking additional armaments right now," Cameron said. But the arms embargo will not allow rebel forces to be armed.

• Re-directing proceeds of state-oil companies away from the Gaddafi regime to the Libyan people, allowing funds to go to rebel groups.
Cameron is keen to quicken the diplomatic pace because No 10 fears Gaddafi is regaining the upper hand, including in rebel strongholds in the east. But officials say that Britain and France need to move cautiously at the UN to avoid a veto from Russia and China.

Britain has been encouraged that Lebanon, which is the current Arab representative on the UN security council, is leading the push for a fresh UN security council resolution. The Arab League and the Gulf Co-operation Council have called for a no-fly zone.

Cameron was disappointed that European leaders failed to give clearer support for a no-fly zone at an emergency European summit in Brussels last Friday. In a compromise statement they agreed to "examine all necessary options" if three conditions are met:
  • A "demonstrable need" which would be triggered if Gaddafi launched attacks on civilians from the air.

• A clear legal basis. It is assumed this would be a UN security resolution, though legal authority could be provided by the Geneva conventions if Gaddafi is found guilty of war crimes.

• Support from the region. Britain believes the support from the Arab League and the Gulf Co-operation Council means this conditions has been met.
Hague showed Britain's support for a no-fly zone. "We are now reaching a point of decision, very clearly, on what happens next," the foreign secretary told the Today programme. "Clearly a no-fly zone is one of the leading propositions. It isn't the answer to everything but it has been called for by the Arab League and is something which the international community must now consider."

source

I really hope they make a decision soon, since they seem to realize that time is running out. Also that part about Gaddafi rearming is worrying to say the least - I heard there rumour (Belarus providing helicopters, a ship with the Greek flag unloading military vehicles in Tripoli), but nothing concrete. If it's true, it negates the gains made by the rebels in terms of equipment destroyed.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 15, 2011

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Namarrgon posted:

Seriously he can't win.
No, Gadafi is going to win.

The rebels are totally out gunned and out amored, especially with those nice new italian artillery units he has. His strategy has been working out really well, bomb from air, art them, and then push up technicals, tanks and foot soldiers.

This has happened at every town and he is 100 miles from ben, I would hazarad a guess the will be within artillery range inside of a week and then its game over.

The international community waited to long, there is no way the rebels can retake the towns that gadafi holds. Sure a NFZ could be implemented at this point but what are they going to do about the tanks and artillery units, its a freaking desert and the rebels don't have the training or the vehicles to take on heavy armor.

It would be a turkey shoot for gadafi's forces.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
edit: nm, seems to have fixed itself after a couple hundred refreshes.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 15, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think that this is still up in the air and could go either way depending on the international response, and the move the rebels make to counter Gad's strategy.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

stgdz posted:

It's possible that he could win militarily, but all he'd gain is a huge stretch of burned out towns he'd have to garrison with troops that could never go to sleep without getting their throats cut.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

It's possible that he could win militarily, but all he'd gain is a huge stretch of burned out towns he'd have to garrison with troops that could never go to sleep without getting their throats cut.

What would he really win? His country is destroyed at his own hand and there's no way in hell he'll get back in the good graces of anybody due to the killing. For 'winning,' he's certainly poo poo where he ate.

That said, I think the rebels will pull out a win here.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

stgdz posted:

The rebels are totally out gunned and out amored, especially with those nice new italian artillery units he has. His strategy has been working out really well, bomb from air, art them, and then push up technicals, tanks and foot soldiers.

This has happened at every town and he is 100 miles from ben, I would hazarad a guess the will be within artillery range inside of a week and then its game over.

The international community waited to long, there is no way the rebels can retake the towns that gadafi holds. Sure a NFZ could be implemented at this point but what are they going to do about the tanks and artillery units, its a freaking desert and the rebels don't have the training or the vehicles to take on heavy armor.

The tanks are the reason I can see Gaddafi hold out in Tripoli indefinitely, but as pointed out before they are pointless if you want to capture other cities. And the problem is that Gaddafi will have to occupy every single city, it's not just a matter of driving out the rebels, the population are the rebels.

That said I am still certain it won't get that far, Gaddafi will certainly not 'win' militarily.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

stgdz posted:

The UN and the countries involved in wanting this NFZ took way too long. This 'uprising' is essentially over. The rebellion is not likely anything close to over, but the only thing that would change anything, for better or worse, would be unilateral action, and that isn't very likely.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Nonsense posted:

The UN and the countries involved in wanting this NFZ took way too long. This 'uprising' is essentially over. The rebellion is not likely anything close to over, but the only thing that would change anything, for better or worse, would be unilateral action, and that isn't very likely.

The Libyan rebel leaders are pressing for a western country to assassinate Gaddafi and his forces. It's a move that shows how bad their situation is from a week ago when they wanted no military intervention aside from a NFZ. It's looking like their days are numbered - it's either hold out and die fighting or seek refuge abroad. I think they all have a price on their heads too, and Gaddafi has offered amnesty to any rebel who lays down their arms and surrenders (I can't see him keeping his word, but I'm sure there are people desperate enough to believe him).

quote:

Libya's revolutionary leadership is pressing western powers to assassinate Muammar Gaddafi and launch military strikes against his forces to protect rebel-held cities from the threat of bloody assault.

Mustafa Gheriani, spokesman for the revolutionary national council in its stronghold of Benghazi, said the appeal was to be made by a delegation meeting the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, and the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, in Paris on Monday, as G8 foreign ministers gathered there to consider whether to back French and British calls for a no-fly zone over Libya.

"We are telling the west we want a no-fly zone, we want tactical strikes against those tanks and rockets that are being used against us and we want a strike against Gaddafi's compound," said Gheriani. "This is the message from our delegation in Europe."

Asked if that meant that the revolutionary council wanted the west to assassinate Gaddafi, Gheriani replied: "Why not? If he dies, nobody will shed a tear."

But with diplomatic wrangling focused on the issue of the no-fly zone, there appeared to be little immediate prospect of a foreign military assault on Gaddafi's forces, let alone an air strike against the Libyan dictator.

You can read the rest here, I only copied the more relevant part.

There's also talk about Libya becoming a breeding ground for extremist frustrated with the West for supporting Gaddafi for a decade and supplying him with weapons and training that were used against them, then condemning him but refusing to help them when they needed it most.

quote:

However, Gheriani said that if the west failed to offer practical help to the revolutionaries to free themselves from Gaddafi's rule it risked frustrated Libyans turning to religious extremists.

"The west is missing the point. The revolution was started because people were feeling despair from poverty, from oppression. Their last hope was freedom. If the west takes too long – where people say it's too little, too late – then people become a target for extremists who say the west doesn't care about them," he said.

"Most people in this country are moderates and extremists have not been able to penetrate them. But if they get to the point of disillusionment with the west there will be no going back."

(from the same article above)

I really hope I'm wrong and they get a NFZ soon (it might not help them against artillery, but it would give them a huge morale boost), but it's looking like the worst case scenario for Libya. While I think it's still too early to call this one, the situation heavily favours Gaddafi, and like you said, short of military intervention the rebels have lost this battle.

My guess (based on precedent) is we're going to see a mass exodus from Libya over the next few months/years into Egypt, Tunisia and across the Mediterranean while Libya becomes the next Iraq. With minor acts of rebellion here and there, unless they manage to unseat him (still a possibility, but it will definitely take longer and be harder) Gaddafi will remain a pariah until he dies and one of his sons takes over. A few years after that, when the memory of what happened in the past few weeks has faded, the new leader of Libya will suddenly reform, distance himself from his father and be welcomed with open arms.

e: Or Gaddafi could do something really stupid like attack a neighbouring country and get crushed in retaliation since his army is just only good for keeping his people repressed, at which point he'll flee to Venezuela and live out his life in luxury. Really, the parallels between him and Idi Amin are too big not to draw that conclusion.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 15, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

I see a big difference between "hey guys getting rid of Gaddafi right now will prevent a lot of unnecessary bloodshed on both sides" and "please assassinate Gaddafi or we'll lose".

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

I see a big difference between "hey guys getting rid of Gaddafi right now will prevent a lot of unnecessary bloodshed on both sides" and "please assassinate Gaddafi or we'll lose".

The difference is that for the past two weeks they were staunchly against ANY outside interference other than a NFZ - they said that they could handle everything else on their own and were making plans to march on Tripoli themselves. Now they're asking for direct intervention outside of that (not just on Gaddafi either, they want his tanks and rockets taken out). Their backs are against the wall and they know it. They even refused to let reporters go to Brega, and it's supposed to be back in their hands. What it boils down to is that they need outside help to win this, and that is not going to happen. The rebellion isn't over, and ultimately I think they'll persevere, but as far as the TNC goes they have the choice between fight or flight.

e: To clarify where I'm coming from, the situation in Libya right now reminds me of the rebellion in Iraq - rebels with small arms and soldiers who defected took over a few town and managed to capture some tanks as well, and were confident they'd get help from the US in overthrowing Saddam, but were massacred by Saddam fairly quickly once he mobilized his forces.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 15, 2011

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
The French Minister of Foreign Affairs declared on the radio that we don't have the military means to stop Benghazi from falling, since he wasn't able to convince the G8 members.

-edit- here's a source : http://www.lexpress.fr/actualites/1/actualite/le-g8-divise-ecarte-l-option-militaire-en-libye_972214.html?actu=1
He also says we probably should have used military might last week to neutralize some airfields and destroy the few dozen aircraft Kadhafi has.

Yeah it's pretty sad, I think the government is trying to cover all bases, so that if we never intervene they can just blame others.
vvvvv

pylb fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 15, 2011

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

pylb posted:

The French Minister of Foreign Affairs declared on the radio that we don't have the military means to stop Benghazi from falling, since he wasn't able to convince the G8 members.

That's a hilarious condemnation of France's military right there. Gadaffi has a tiny fleet of broken down planes and like 1 or 2 divisions that he actually trusts enough to give guns. Napoleon is spinning in his fancy casket.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

March 15th Live Blogs
LibyaFeb17.com]
Guardian
AJE

quote:

Rebels say they are fortifying the town of Ajdabiya, against a possible assault by advancing forces loyal to Gaddafi, according to the Associated Press reports.

Rebel spokesman Ahmed al-Zwei said on Tuesday that "intermittent" fighting between the two sides was taking place on an 80-kilometre stretch of road between Ajdabiya and the oil port of Brega.

quote:

ReutersFrance has so far not convinced all other G8 parties to agree to push the UN for a no-fly zone. Germany and Russia showed the most reservation. France’s foreign minister Alain Juppe said that the international community was dragging its feet. “If we had used military force last week … maybe the reversal that went against the opposition (forces) would not have happened,” he said. The Russian foreign minister said a no-fly zone could be ineffective or even counterproductive, he suggested urging the UN for other measures to curb the violence.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

A rebel spokesman, Ahmed al-Zwei, has told the Associated Press that "intermittent" fighting between the two sides was taking place on a 50-mile (80-kilometre) stretch of road between Ajdabiya and the oil port of Brega. Control of Brega has been split between the rebels and regime forces after days of fierce clashes.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some good news for the rebels:

quote:

Al Jazeera's Tony Birtley reports from Benghazi that "There is no immediate threat to Benghazi, and the rebels have a new commander, an experienced commander who has defected from Gaddafi forces.

"This is good news for the rebel forces as he is reported to have some 8,000 men with him and heavy weapons too.

"Militarily, it is difficult for Gaddafi to come all the way to Benghazi, there will be street fighting, and Gaddafi will lose men and their morale may go down."

Brega is still back and forth:

quote:

Meanwhile to the east, fighting is going on for the oil town of Brega, Reuters is reporting.

quote:

"In Brega it is still advance and retreat, we are not in control and they are not either," rebel fighter Hussein al-Wami told Reuters. His report was seconded by fighter Addel Ibriki, who returned to Ajdabiya from Brega on Tuesday morning.

"It is still to and fro," Ibriki said.

Two government warplanes flew a sortie over Ajdabiya on Tuesday, with one of them firing two rockets, rebel fighters said.

"There has just been an air strike. There were two planes, only one fired, it was close to the western gate," fighter Ahmed Miftah said.

Gaddafi's forces began bombing and shelling Ajdabiya on Sunday. The town is a gateway to regions further east and a 250 mile desert road offers a clear route straight to Tobruk, near the Egyptian border.

News from the west:

quote:

Witnesses have told the Associated Press that Libyan government troops have captured Zwara, the last rebel-held city west of Tripoli to fall back under government control.

quote:

Tuesday's victory solidifies Gaddafi's hold on the western stretch of coastline from the capital to the Tunisian border even as the Libyan leader advances against rebels in their eastern strongholds. A cacophony of gunfire could be heard on the telephone as army troops celebrated, but rebels promised to regroup and fight back. Zwara was one of the first towns seized by the rebels as they made gains early in the month-long uprising. Rebels in Zwara say government troops retook the town after battering it with heavy tank and artillery fire, but sporadic street battles are ongoing.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brega seems to be a key test for both sides:

quote:

Chris McGreal has been on the line from Benghazi. He says there is mood of grim defiance and a realisation that the opposition is now in a fight for survival.

The rebels have largely withdrawn to Ajdarbia a city 90 miles from Benghazi. The rebels are claiming they are putting up a fight in Brega, the last small town that Gaddafi took and while it may be true they have some forces near the oil installations, it is clear that Gaddafi's forces have taken the main town... The real test is Ajdarbia, that is the front line, the rebels say it is a town they can defend.

quote:

Chris McGreal said that the rebels believe that Brega will the real test. It looks like Gaddafi is thinking along the same lines. Al Jazeera is reporting that Gaddafi is moving some of his best troops to Brega, commanded by his sons, Saadi and Khamis.

quote:

Al Jazeera Arabic correspondent update from east Libya:

1. West Ajdabiya is being bombarded from the air
2. Brega is still in the hands of the revolutionaries who are fending off attacks from Gaddafi’s troops
3. Some of Gaddafi’s troops are still present in the industrial area of Brega, but they are cornered and unable to escape
4. Revolutionaries are unable to strike the cornered troops for fear that they might injure civilians near the industrial area of Brega

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
SAUDI ARABIA UPDATE:

-- All of a sudden there's alot of police security downtown, nobody know why or what's going on.

-- A Saudi Soldier has been shot dead in Bahrain. at the same time the king of Bahrain has announced a three month state of emergency.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from Libya:

quote:

1. The area we are in is being bombarded with rocket launchers and planes.
2. We were on our way to Brega, but there was heavy bombardment. One shell landed close to us.
3. We moved back to Ajdabiya where the city is being bombed in different areas.
4. The asphalt motorway is being bombed in an attempt to make it difficult for revolutionaries.
5. The revolutionaries are trying to block the planes with anti-aircraft guns and rockets
6. Gaddafi forces are said to be cornered somewhere between Ajdabiya and Brega. They are trying to make a way out.
7. We saw cars for revos retreat to the gates of Ajdabiya due to the heavy bombarding.
8. There are ambulances that are driving towards the battle areas, they cannot move too forward due to the heavy shooting.
9. We really don’t know if there is an attempt for Gaddafi’s forces to move forward. Are they trying to move towards Ajdabiya or are they only trying to break the seige imposed around them
10. There are reports that Khamis and AsSaadi battalions are moving towards Brega
11. Colonel Hamid said that Brega is still in the hands of revolutionaries but that fighting to keep it is ongoing

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I don't know how true this is, but it's crazy if it's true:

quote:

Al Jazeera Arabic News that the Free Libyan Airforce have destroyed and sunk 2 Gaddafi warships and hit a third off the coast of Ajdabiya and Benghazi

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Brown Moses posted:

I don't know how true this is, but it's crazy if it's true:

Whoa, they get some of those... MiG-23s was it? Working? Got a link? I checked AJE and couldn't find anything. Obviously it runs behind normal AJ though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I got it from the LibyaFeb17 site, I think it must have been in the AJ Arabic channel, so there's no news stories about it yet. It was about 30 minutes ago I think.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whoa, they get some of those... MiG-23s was it? Working? Got a link? I checked AJE and couldn't find anything. Obviously it runs behind normal AJ though.

There were a couple defector pilots early in the revolution as well.. perhaps they were allowed to return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The AJE Live blog has posted a little more info:

quote:

Anti-government activists said that rebels commanding fighter jets have destroyed two of Gaddafi's warships off the northeast coast of Ajdabiya.
The opposition also claimed to have hit a third naval ship in the air attack, according to opposition website Libya al-Youm.
A number of army generals and soldiers, particularly in the Libyan Air Force, have defected to join the rebels and have an arsenal of weapons and fighter jets at their disposal.
The alleged attack comes as Gaddafi's forces continue to battle for control of Ajdabiya and the nearby city of Brega in order to advance on to the opposition stronghold of Benghazi.

• Locked thread