Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was trying to save money, but now it sounds like I need to resubscribe to the Observer. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

OK, as someone too poverty stricken to get the Observer, which wrestling podcasts are worth it? I currently get:

I Want Wrestling
Art Of Wrestling
Smart Wrestling Fan

Are there any others that are worth it? I tried Live Audio Wrestling and couldn't get into it although I may have chosen a dud episode. I'm more into interviews with people in the business and general wrestling discussion than I am into recaps of RAW or that kind of stuff (I already have SWF for that). Anything spring out as something I should try?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
WOR yesterday was great because it was basically Bryan trolling Dave by trying to get him to explain the reasons behind the stupid bullshit TNA does. And Dave has that kind of personality where he has to try to apply logic and reason to everything even when there plainly is none, so he just goes for it and the results are hilarious.

B&V tonight should be awesome as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lamuella posted:

OK, as someone too poverty stricken to get the Observer, which wrestling podcasts are worth it? I currently get:

I Want Wrestling
Art Of Wrestling
Smart Wrestling Fan

Are there any others that are worth it? I tried Live Audio Wrestling and couldn't get into it although I may have chosen a dud episode. I'm more into interviews with people in the business and general wrestling discussion than I am into recaps of RAW or that kind of stuff (I already have SWF for that). Anything spring out as something I should try?

When I don't have the means to pay, I just go with the free podcast feed from WOR because it's usually two good shows a week for free. LAW sadly to say was probably the best free show which sucks because it is pretty terrible. Although the segment where they review old poo poo is usually pretty good.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Borh posted:

And Dave has that kind of personality where he has to try to apply logic and reason to everything even when there plainly is none, so he just goes for it and the results are hilarious.

Bryan clearly plays on this intentionally sometimes, and it always works. Dave has to at least TRY to find a logical explanation for things.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I decided to check out the Observer podcasts.

Bryan: "Since there was one giant Pangaea, nothing has been worse than this."

Okay I'm in.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Alvarez has a great Victory Road meltdown in this week's newsletter, actually far better than the one on the radio show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

Alvarez has a great Victory Road meltdown in this week's newsletter, actually far better than the one on the radio show.

I hope he and Vinny review it on the next B&V show. That's where I really expect him to go off.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rick posted:

When I don't have the means to pay, I just go with the free podcast feed from WOR because it's usually two good shows a week for free. LAW sadly to say was probably the best free show which sucks because it is pretty terrible. Although the segment where they review old poo poo is usually pretty good.

I didn't realize they had a free feed. On this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm thinking about subscribing to WO. Are the newsletters in PDF format that I could read on my iPad at the gym?

I'm trying to debate on whether or not I want to do it and the podcasts seem worth it but I think being able to read the newsletter on my iPad would push me over the hump.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm thinking about subscribing to WO. Are the newsletters in PDF format that I could read on my iPad at the gym?

I'm trying to debate on whether or not I want to do it and the podcasts seem worth it but I think being able to read the newsletter on my iPad would push me over the hump.

figure four weekly, yes. observer, no

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sportsgenius86 posted:

I know that F4W comes in pdf, I'm not sure about the Observer

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

on Lagana's "Press the press" podcast, Alvarez was actually expressing his amazement at people who still got f4w delivered by post. He was saying that he puts the PDF of the issues up online the moment they're finished for subscribers to download, and yet he still gets this fairly solid core of people who paid to get it mailed to them. He was also talking about people he knew who no longer watched wrestling but still got and read f4w. Kind of a "You don't need a TV if you've got a TV guide" moment.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks guys. Is the WO newsletter in a downloadable format?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thanks guys. Is the WO newsletter in a downloadable format?

I don't think so, but I know there are PDFs that get circulated on various pirate sites. If you really want them you could subscribe to the site and download them from there I guess. Just don't do the latter without the former

Alternatively you could just copy and paste into a txt

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I don't think so, but I know there are PDFs that get circulated on various pirate sites. If you really want them you could subscribe to the site and download them from there I guess. Just don't do the latter without the former

Alternatively you could just copy and paste into a txt

Thanks!

I have the Instapaper app for the iPad and iPhone so I can just pull the text into a word document to read when I don't have internet access.

I appreciate the help from everybody.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Lamuella posted:

LAW definitely, it's informative and definitely entertaining, so it's not all dry news, it's fun to listen to.

Weekly they have the LAW show which is news and discussion for the week in wrestling and a bit of MMA (even though I'm not an MMA fan I don't mind at all, it's just the big stuff and it's interesting to hear about how it functions as a business compared to wrestling), normally an interview on which they've had guests like Scott Hudson, Jim Cornette, Stone Cold and Dave Lagana, phone in questions from listeners to the hosts and a weekly call in with Dave Meltzer for the hosts to ask him some questions on whatever the news items for the week are and for any interesting information about current angles.

Then there's Review a Wai who's podcasts are available with LAW on I-tunes, they used to be part of LAW but they've ended up splitting the two up because of the length recently, however it's all available under LAW on I-tunes. They do three shows a week, one on which they review a Wrestling release like an old PPV, a documentary or a historic Raw or Nitro, another which is a review of the weeks Raw and another of Impact (which is fantastic, I listen to it instead of watching to keep in touch with what's happening with TNA while they do the chore of watching for me). The hosts are really funny on this, they just have a dry sarcastic sense of humor but aren't overly cynical so it's fun to even hear them review the bad stuff. On Review-a-Wai the show where they review Wrestling related media they often have guests who are people involved with whatever event or release they are reviewing.

So that's 4 different free weekly shows available from LAW all of which are of a rather professional quality and are fun but interesting and informative at the same time.

If you're after something a little dryer which is more information based there is the Pro-Wrestling Report produced by ESPN that's been around for over a decade. The host can get a bit annoying in a 'I'm a serious journalist' way but he does the show with David Hero who is the booker and promoter for Great Lake Championship Wrestling who often has some insider information and is much more fun to counteract the host and Frank Cozstantino who offers a more fan like perspective, so the three balance out each others faults. They have a weekly show that is all news and phone discussion and more often than not they will have a guest on for an interview. They have a weekly show and have a post-show for every TNA and WWE PPV. It's produced by ESPN and broadcast so it's pretty professional, the only draw back to that however is it's like a typical radio show with a soundboard which is annoying at times, but I think the good out weighs the bad with this show and it's a good contrast from LAW in some ways.

Those are the two I listen to, they are completely free and all up it's 5 pod casts a week, so it's more than enough.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 16, 2011

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

sportsgenius86 posted:

You can absolutely download the Observer in PDF. There's a little icon next to the header of each newsletter that lets you do so. It just runs the html through some sort of converter and spits out a PDF, so the formatting isn't stellar but it should more than suit your needs.

For F4W you can either get that or download a full colour PDF.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lamuella posted:

He was also talking about people he knew who no longer watched wrestling but still got and read f4w. Kind of a "You don't need a TV if you've got a TV guide" moment.

I subscribed for F4W for a long while without watching much wrestling. It's mainly because I find the behind the scenes side more entertaining that what happens on TV most of the time. Also there is no way in hell I'd ever order a TNA PPV or watch Impact every week, but I still enjoy listening to Bryan bitch and rant about them. It reminds me a lot of Joel Robinson/Mike Nelson being forced to watch bad movies until they crack.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am surprised that the hardest I laughed during the Bryan and Vinny show wasn't the burial of TNA, but instead Vinny's burial of DGUSA.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

I am surprised that the hardest I laughed during the Bryan and Vinny show wasn't the burial of TNA, but instead Vinny's burial of DGUSA.

I don't subscribe to WO, please elaborate on the DGUSA incident.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I don't subscribe to WO, please elaborate on the DGUSA incident.

He basically just said that the matches are two guys or two groups of guys doing random moves for no rhyme or reason for 10 minutes until one guy is pinned. It was very matter of fact and it made me laugh since it was exactly how I felt.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Am I the only one who wishes Bryan Alvarez would shut the gently caress up about his stupid cats?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Karmine posted:

Am I the only one who wishes Bryan Alvarez would shut the gently caress up about his stupid cats?

I like the cat stories :3:

but I do get why people would dislike cat stories and Granny

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Luckily all the cat & granny stuff is on the B&V show, so people can avoid it if they want to.

I wish the F4W app didn't completely suck. I just want to be able to read the newsletters on my iphone without having to manually download PDFs and such, is that so much to ask?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

triplexpac posted:

Luckily all the cat & granny stuff is on the B&V show, so people can avoid it if they want to.

Exactly. The Bryan and Vinny show is always the one that's less serious and way more frivolous than the others. Granny, cats, songs, and all the other goofiness is part of the charm

EDIT: and besides, if Bryan never talked about his cats, the line "you can't just lock kids in a room Bryan, they aren't cats" would have been nowhere near as funny :colbert:

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 16, 2011

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Exactly. The Bryan and Vinny show is always the one that's less serious and way more frivolous than the others. Granny, cats, songs, and all the other goofiness is part of the charm

The songs are loving awesome, and Granny is all right, but for gently caress's sake I wanna hear them talk about wrestling! It's especially annoying when Bryan talks about his cats for 20 minutes and then yells at Vinny for taking too long to recap a PPV.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

EDIT: and besides, if Bryan never talked about his cats, the line "you can't just lock kids in a room Bryan, they aren't cats" would have been nowhere near as funny :colbert:

R-E-A-R

R-E-A-R

rearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearear.

That's my new favorite song.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Karmine posted:

The songs are loving awesome, and Granny is all right, but for gently caress's sake I wanna hear them talk about wrestling! It's especially annoying when Bryan talks about his cats for 20 minutes and then yells at Vinny for taking too long to recap a PPV.

Yeah, but to be fair today was the first time he'd talked about his cats in a long time. Plus they'd recapped the PPV on WOR already

Capsaicin posted:

R-E-A-R

R-E-A-R

I preferred "you say 'Dan Gable', I say 'Kurt Angle'". I had to stop myself laughing on the bus

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cat Chat is the best part of the B&V show. I could live with them eliminating all wrestling content for just Cat Chat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

He basically just said that the matches are two guys or two groups of guys doing random moves for no rhyme or reason for 10 minutes until one guy is pinned. It was very matter of fact and it made me laugh since it was exactly how I felt.

I loved that because it's how I felt the one or two times I saw a DGUSA event. I understand that people like that stuff but I just can't get into it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I loved that because it's how I felt the one or two times I saw a DGUSA event. I understand that people like that stuff but I just can't get into it.

That's how I felt when I went to the first show. I knew it just wasn't for me but it would probably be enjoyable to most. Although Gabe re-using Homicide trying to cut out someone's tongue is just dumb. That is one of the worst angles in ROH history, don't use it again!

Does anyone here listen to the Todd Martin shows? I cannot stand his voice and he has the worst opinions on everything. He also gets things blatantly wrong, especially about MMA. I cannot understand why Bryan has him on every loving week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Does anyone here listen to the Todd Martin shows? I cannot stand his voice and he has the worst opinions on everything. He also gets things blatantly wrong, especially about MMA. I cannot understand why Bryan has him on every loving week.

I avoid those because I hate his articles and reviews so much. Looks like I made a good decision.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I put the Todd Martin shows on when I can't sleep sometimes. Great cure for insomnia.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I about lost it at the "Let's call the whole thing off" song.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I preferred "you say 'Dan Gable', I say 'Kurt Angle'". I had to stop myself laughing on the bus

This song was loving rules.

I don't mind cat chat, and I used to like Granny but not in a long time. She's been acting like a total rear end the past few months and I'm not sure if it's senility/dementia or she's just being a dick for no reason. I just fast forward through her parts because I love the rest of the B/V show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

R-E-A-R

R-E-A-R

Yes, This!

The first song on the show was great too.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

todd martin loving sucks and is fat

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

todd martin loving sucks and is fat

Todd Martin likes PWG so if the Shaman says this about him you know he is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They have a PDF version of the Observer too, although the link isn't super noticeable. But click the little grey PDF picture that blends into the background near the title.

• Locked thread