Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deadpool posted:

I loved that because it's how I felt the one or two times I saw a DGUSA event. I understand that people like that stuff but I just can't get into it.

I was also at the first show, and after the third match or so, I realized "Everyone is going to go nuts for this, but it's very poorly put together." The crowd was at 11/10 at the beginning of the show, and by the end of the third match, they were about 6.5-7/10. It was way too much. Definitely the worst structured show I've ever been to.

Under normal circumstances, they'd be dead, but a lot of people who just watched the PPV with bad sound quality on their own time, under their own pace didn't get the drop. So what happened was they figured we were just being negative to be negative, since the crowd still sounded lively, when in reality it was like taking a crowd that was 7/10 to 3/10.

If I still subscribed I'd probably love Cat Chat, but I generally detested most non-wrestling talk on B&V. I would always fast forward through Granny/Brent Chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
If you're going to a show that Gabe Sapolsky booked, you basically have to accept bad pacing and burned out crowds as part of the territory. He's just not good at that anymore for whatever reason.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was big into ROH at one point because of guys like Danielson and Joe and Punk and of course the match quality. But after a while you just get burnt out. After so many good matches they just all seem to blur together. There was a time that most matches on an ROH card were probably good at worst and great at best. And while that sounds great I eventually got so apathetic about what most people would call great matches that I just couldn't watch anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cubsfan is on this week's Dr. Lucha Figure 4 Daily which is a nice surprise. I know lucha takes the winter off and all, but it is March and the only lucha news this year has been WWE signing Mistico. Not a good sign.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

If you're going to a show that Gabe Sapolsky booked, you basically have to accept bad pacing and burned out crowds as part of the territory. He's just not good at that anymore for whatever reason.

There was only one other Gabe show I had been to that ever was that bad, and it was Gabe's last show. He was awful at pacing (Hence having to put world title matches in semi-main spots so the crowd wouldn't be burned out for them), but he was never truly wretched until late 2008.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Davey Richards loses his podcast virginity on this week's Art of Wrestling! :toot:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Davey was on the drunkcast.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Davey also did a Figure 4 Daily back in 2005. That would have to make him one of the first guests on the show.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

HulkaMatt posted:

Davey was on the drunkcast.

MassRayPer posted:

Davey also did a Figure 4 Daily back in 2005. That would have to make him one of the first guests on the show.

Then the very first thing he says on Colt's podcast is a lie. :negative:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Then the very first thing he says on Colt's podcast is a lie. :negative:

That's called working!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Deadpool posted:

And while that sounds great I eventually got so apathetic about what most people would call great matches that I just couldn't watch anymore.

Isn't that why god created TNA?

Speaking of: Latest Observer they're STILL going on about TNA :)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Cubsfan is on this week's Dr. Lucha Figure 4 Daily which is a nice surprise. I know lucha takes the winter off and all, but it is March and the only lucha news this year has been WWE signing Mistico. Not a good sign.

Well, there's the stuff with Dorian Roldan trying to get CMLL to see that the Mexican promotions need to work together to fight WWE, but it's depressing that that's probably a non-story.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Well, there's the stuff with Dorian Roldan trying to get CMLL to see that the Mexican promotions need to work together to fight WWE, but it's depressing that that's probably a non-story.

I honestly think that is just Dorian putting it out there so he can make CMLL look uncooperative when nothing comes of it.

Also every time I see this thread title I think of this: http://angrymarks.com/music/songs/dj2-Dave%20Meltzer%20Theme.mp3

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I just listened to my first Bryan and Vinnie show ever and although the cat talk is odd I thought that it was fantastic.

Should I listen to the '10 Christmas show next? Or is that not a good choice for a second impression, does it involve any wrestling talk at all?

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Sue Denim posted:

I just listened to my first Bryan and Vinnie show ever and although the cat talk is odd I thought that it was fantastic.

Should I listen to the '10 Christmas show next? Or is that not a good choice for a second impression, does it involve any wrestling talk at all?

The whole point of the Christmas shows is debauchery and no wrestling talk at all, though some creeps in by accident.

If you want to hear them drunk and chat with Lance Storm for a while? Sure. But I'd just skim the archives.

Or, do what I do: listen to the Adrenaline Flush archives on THE BOARD until they are practically memorized.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sue Denim posted:

Bryan (in next room): WOO!!
Vinny: That was a 35 year old man just doing the flair strutt, then doing a woo.
Bryan (next room): I gotta take this jacket off!
Vinny: Hit it with an elbow drop!
*muffled thud from next room*

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Good to know, the two episodes I've listened to have had roots music openings which totally set me in a :allears: mood, a wrestling show that opens with roots music totally fits for me too, north American wrestling is just so Americana there's something so definitively American in it's story telling and values.

Edit: Oh god, I sound like Russo trying to go forwards by going backwards.

Can anyone think of any particular Bryan and Vinny shows that were particularly good from the past year?

I seem to remember someone mentioning a rant about a Jeff Hardy bump onto a flaming Christmas tree.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 18, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

Bryan (in next room): WOO!!
Vinny: That was a 35 year old man just doing the flair strutt, then doing a woo.
Bryan (next room): I gotta take this jacket off!
Vinny: Hit it with an elbow drop!
*muffled thud from next room*

Also good to mention this was only like 30 minutes the show too.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Todd Martin is great and he is often the only one to present a differing point of view on WO/F4W. It gets really stale hearing Bryan and Dave discussing something and agreeing about the state of affairs, then have Bryan rant on the B&V show about the same thing with Vinny agreeing, then have him go through the same goddamn points with Lance who agrees. Todd is wrong sometimes, but a lot of the time his points are at least as valid as whatever hyperbole Bryan is spouting.

I like Todd. Haters gonna hate and all that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Remember when Bryan tried doing daily news updates?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Remember when Bryan tried doing daily news updates?
Audio updates? Because they still do daily news updates.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Beeswax posted:

Todd Martin is great and he is often the only one to present a differing point of view on WO/F4W. It gets really stale hearing Bryan and Dave discussing something and agreeing about the state of affairs, then have Bryan rant on the B&V show about the same thing with Vinny agreeing, then have him go through the same goddamn points with Lance who agrees. Todd is wrong sometimes, but a lot of the time his points are at least as valid as whatever hyperbole Bryan is spouting.

I like Todd. Haters gonna hate and all that.

nope. todd is a total idiot that doesnt ever know what he's talking about & also he wouldn't spell "corre" because it would "encourage wwe" i mean what the gently caress

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

MassRayPer posted:

That's called working!

You have a funny way of spelling "concussions".

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 18, 2011

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LividLiquid posted:

Audio updates? Because they still do daily news updates.

I think this was before the merger, Bryan tried doing a 15 minute news update every single day. The only problem was he didn't really have news to talk about every day, so a lot of the updates were a bunch of non-news.

Not sure if they still do that, I hadn't noticed if that's the case. I thought now it was just him and Dave doing Observer Radio a few times a week, plus all the other wacky B shows.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sometimes I think we should start our own Youtube/radio show.

I want Shaman of Cum and coconono on air.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Granny may be going slightly senile, which is sad, but she's still cool.

"If you could have magic plastic surgery that made your face look like anyone on Earth, who would you choose?"
"Frankenstein."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I think this was before the merger, Bryan tried doing a 15 minute news update every single day. The only problem was he didn't really have news to talk about every day, so a lot of the updates were a bunch of non-news.

Not sure if they still do that, I hadn't noticed if that's the case. I thought now it was just him and Dave doing Observer Radio a few times a week, plus all the other wacky B shows.

He originally did Figure 4 Daily nearly daily with interviews and news updates. He stopped for years and just did interviews. Then in late 09 he started again and stopped after a month.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Borh posted:

Granny may be going slightly senile, which is sad, but she's still cool.

"If you could have magic plastic surgery that made your face look like anyone on Earth, who would you choose?"
"Frankenstein."

Haha I legit laughed on the subway when she said that.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Gatts posted:

Sometimes I think we should start our own Youtube/radio show.

I want Shaman of Cum and coconono on air.

"The Coco & Cum Wrestling Hour" does have a morning zoo sound to it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Grant DaNasty posted:

"The Coco & Cum Wrestling Hour" does have a morning zoo sound to it.

I want this to happen. Time to figure out how to set things up...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The latest Botchamania is highlights of Victory Road set to Bryan and Dave's bitchings about the show.

Awesome.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

LordPants posted:

The latest Botchamania is highlights of Victory Road set to Bryan and Dave's bitchings about the show.

Awesome.

Link please. Or number. Or anything

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

Link please. Or number. Or anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n1NxhSgywo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
haha Thanks thats pretty great

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TNA should use Dave's line from tonight's show as their new tagline:

"It's beyond incredible... it's TNA!"

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I know I should expect this, but my jaw dropped when I heard this story on WOR today. Dave said that TV Week ran a story headlined "Drew Carey elected to pro wrestling hall of fame". Someone from WWE called them, got really pissed off, and demanded that they change the headline because WWE is not a wrestling company, it's a "multimedia conglomerate", it's not a pro wrestling hall of fame, they don't employ wrestlers they employ Superstars and Divas etc etc

Says a lot about the current product if it's being run by people who hate wrestling.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I know I should expect this, but my jaw dropped when I heard this story on WOR today. Dave said that TV Week ran a story headlined "Drew Carey elected to pro wrestling hall of fame". Someone from WWE called them, got really pissed off, and demanded that they change the headline because WWE is not a wrestling company, it's a "multimedia conglomerate", it's not a pro wrestling hall of fame, they don't employ wrestlers they employ Superstars and Divas etc etc

Christ almighty. I seriously can't wait for Vince, Dunn et al. to get the gently caress out. Petty delusional manchildren, the lot of them.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Psycho Mantits posted:

I seriously can't wait for Vince, Dunn et al. to get the gently caress out.

You're in for a very long and sad lifetime of waiting, then.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

You're in for a very long and sad lifetime of waiting, then.

Yes, I'm aware that I'm setting myself up for disappointment if I actually expect any meaningful change within WWE. Most of the time I don't even bother to get worked up, but there are some instances (like the one I quoted) that are so mindbogglingly petty and delusional that I can't help but get pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
New Observer is up.

My favorite quote:

Cab Driver: This is a dangerous neighborhood.
Bones Jones: We don't need to worry about it.

• Locked thread