Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

So we might have the actual time for the vote:

quote:

Reuters reports that France wants the UN Security Council to vote on a resolution authorising a no-fly zone, according to Gerard Araud, the French ambassador to the UN.

quote:

I would say that we are asking for a vote at 6:00pm [2200 GMT]. You know the United Nations, it can drift but we are going to ask for a vote at 6:00pm."
Members of China's delegation to the UN have told Al Jazeera that they, too, will be looking for consensus to be reached today, though they did not say if they would now be back the imposition of a no-fly zone, a step they had expressed concern over earlier.

I've found previous military interventions like this to be badly implemented and not always to the benefit of the people it's supposed to help, but I honestly can't see another option at this point in time, and the rebels are asking for help.

Also, if the vote is passed tonight I'm wondering if it'll lead to anything big happening after Friday prayers tomorrow once the rebels and protesters realise Gaddafi is doomed.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Sinteres posted:

Why would the US want to selflessly promote a new Nasser rather than itself as savior of democracy?

Edit: For that matter, wouldn't the optimal solution for the US be to save the rebels but do so in a way that shows they would have been hosed without US assistance? That way would-be rebels in US ally countries would be more likely to think twice before taking up arms.

Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, what's optimal for the United States has been optimal for the oppressed masses of the world. If this were the Cold War, then the beard-stroking, realpolitik obsessed United States you're describing would still exist and still be seeing the conflict from that framework.

The United States of today is not the same United States of 1989. A lot of people still see the United States as this "imperialist Capitalist superpower" that only acts in its self interest and in the interests of global corporations. This false perception of the United States will not go away easily, because it's hard for people to let go.

I'm not arguing from an assumption of how the United States used to be - as you're doing. I'm arguing from the realization that United States has been moving in the direction of "benign Superpower" for quite some time now (though we still haven't moved fast enough, and some of the baggage and bureaucratic stupidity from the realpolitik era still lingers).

Since 1989, it has always been in America's interest that democracy take hold in the Middle East, even if it meant Islamists came to power. Since the Iraq War, the United States is well aware that it is in our interest if democracy is perceived as being an organic process instead of the byproduct of an invasion.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

As smn said earlier the problem the rebels have is they can all the tanks and artillery in the world, but if they can't defend it from air strikes then it'll all rapidly be turned into junk by Gaddafi's forces. It does seem like they have access to heavy vehicles, it's just they can't use them at the moment, so a no fly zone would allow them to fight back using those heavy vehicles.

Still, engaging and destroying the Libyan fighter bombers and their airbases would be a more effective way of doing this. Enforcing a NFZ requires constant patrolling of a very large airspace, and Gaddafi would still want to shoot your fighters down. In comparison attacking the airbases is quick, cheap and safe for the attacker.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Since 1989, it has always been in America's interest that democracy take hold in the Middle East, even if it meant Islamists came to power. Since the Iraq War, the United States is well aware that it is in our interest if democracy is perceived as being an organic process instead of the byproduct of an invasion.

This has to be a troll, right?

It's in the US's economic interest to get cheap, reliable oil. Democracy and popular revolutions detract from this aim (bear in mind, too, that a democratic Middle East is not automatically one which wants to sell the US cheap oil). This is why the US isn't doing more than making disapproving noises about Bahrain for example.

It'd be nice if governments (any governments) were selfless and benevolent. They're not. The US is no exception.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nenonen posted:

Still, engaging and destroying the Libyan fighter bombers and their airbases would be a more effective way of doing this. Enforcing a NFZ requires constant patrolling of a very large airspace, and Gaddafi would still want to shoot your fighters down. In comparison attacking the airbases is quick, cheap and safe for the attacker.

The draft mandate would actually allow for the destruction of the Libyan airforce on the ground, as well as bombing airbases. If they don't change it then they'll have a pretty wide remit to do what they want short of bombing non-military targets. Just take a look at article 10:

quote:

Authorizes members of the League of Arab States and other States which have notified the Secretary-General, who are acting nationally or through regional organisations or arrangements, and acting in cooperation with the Secretary General, to take all necessary measures to protect civilians and civilian objects in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.
Which to me reads "if you think anything might harm a civilian or a civilian object, feel free to blow the poo poo out of it."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not arguing from an assumption of how the United States used to be - as you're doing. I'm arguing from the realization that United States has been moving in the direction of "benign Superpower" for quite some time now (though we still haven't moved fast enough, and some of the baggage and bureaucratic stupidity from the realpolitik era still lingers).

The US is terrified of the possibility of Islamists coming to power. Democracy promotion in Palestine was a big deal until the day Hamas won an election. The Muslim Brotherhood kept its head down in the Egyptian uprising because it knew the US would be much more likely to back Mubarak if it was seen as the alternative. Saudi Arabia seems to be allowed a free hand in Bahrain to suppress the Shia. The US still cares very much about protecting its geopolitical interests in the Middle East; Libya may turn out to be a special case because humanitarian objectives happen to coincide with the removal of an unfriendly regime this time, and it seems likely that this can be done without troops on the ground.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from the Twitter rumour mill:

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: Some reports that Gaddafi may be collecting bodies in Mitiga so if air defenses are hit he can pretend these were civilian deaths

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: Confirmed reports that the brave ppl of Misrata killed over 80 Gaddafi soldiers, could climb up to 120+

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: Ajdabiya despite the heavy bombardment has not fallen, the revolutionaries there are still surrounding Gaddafi's soldiers

quote:

@bungdan: last night, #libya state TV said tahuna tribe with Q. Today, hundreds of tahuna members parading benghazi, calling bs on that.

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: Unconfirmed reports that senior Gaddafi generals are all fleeing the country, prior to NFZ ruling

quote:

@BaghdadBrian: one local #libya youth suggested that defecting pilots families are under threat & planes being shotdown is ruse for their safety

quote:

@iyad_elbaghdadi Reports that revolution's military council orders not to take prisoners from Gaddafi troops, "defect and join us, or face death."

quote:

@iyad_elbaghdadi: There were demonstrations in Benghazi by some Warfalla and Tarhuna, denying claims the tribes are backing

quote:

@iyad_elbaghdadi: Many calls from the revolution's military council not to air videos of photos from the front lines, because they reveal positions.

quote:

@BaghdadBrian: Exclusive @alivein Video - 10km from Ajdabiya Rebels Mass Armor #libya ... no international press are this close #libya
10km from Ajdabiya Rebels Mass Armor | Alive in Libya -

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Since 1989, it has always been in America's interest that democracy take hold in the Middle East, even if it meant Islamists came to power.

Someone's a bit naive, eh? Can you cite any examples since 1989 where USA has supported a hostile democratic government over a friendly undemocratic government in the Middle East?

By any means, Iran is more democratic (even if by a fraction) than Saudi Arabia, but the Saudis can always rely on unconditional US support as long as they have oil under their toes. Likewise according to international monitorers the 2009 presidential and 2010 parliamentary elections in Afghanistan were rigged, yet USA hailed them as triumphs for democracy. Nothing has changed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit more about Misurata:

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: Reports from Misurata that snipers are shooting electricity transformers and anyone that steps out of his home, to spread fear

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: The snipers are not inside the city however they are occupying tall buildings on the outskirts and Air Academy watchtowers

quote:

@ChangeInLibya: Almanara reports tht 2 Toyota cruisers full of mercenaries attempting to attack Misrata were blown up by revolutionaries there

quote:

@ChangeInLibya‎ :Gaddafi is stockpiling bodies of people he kidnapped & executed in Tripoli over last 4 weeks & will try to claim these are NFZ deaths

Also from AJE:

quote:

5:44pm

Consultations on the draft UN Security Council resolution in New York have just begun.

Hopefully we'll have the vote in the next 6 hours.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 17, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Sinteres posted:

The US is terrified of the possibility of Islamists coming to power. Democracy promotion in Palestine was a big deal until the day Hamas won an election. The Muslim Brotherhood kept its head down in the Egyptian uprising because it knew the US would be much more likely to back Mubarak if it was seen as the alternative. Saudi Arabia seems to be allowed a free hand in Bahrain to suppress the Shia. The US still cares very much about protecting its geopolitical interests in the Middle East; Libya may turn out to be a special case because humanitarian objectives happen to coincide with the removal of an unfriendly regime this time, and it seems likely that this can be done without troops on the ground.

In 2005, Bush twisted Mubarak's arm to allow the Muslim Brotherhood to run (as independents). he also was adamant that Hamas take part in Palestinian Elections. He also met with Turkey's AK party.

The problem is that he got "cold feet" (as The Economist put it), and stopped listening to the State Department.

Since 1989, the United States drove a genocidal aggressor out of an independent country (Kuwait), fed a starving African nation and tried to remove a genocidal dictator, stopped two genocides against Muslims in the Balkans.

Since 2000, the United States has supported an independent Palestine, overthrew the Taliban (which the majority of Afghans still support), removed a genocidal dictator that made Gaddafi look like a saint (the goal of the Iraq War was spreading democracy, but Bush lied because WMD was an easier sell), has taken steps to remove itself from reliance on Saudi Arabia and oil (without the consequences of pulling out too fast and causing a global meltdown).

Like I said, we haven't moved fast enough, and we still find ourselves lapsing. But since 1989, the United States has become an entirely different creature with entirely different motives. That we haven't moved fast enough, or have occasionally slid backwards, is still a problem. These are fair criticisms of American foreign policy. But you have to approach it from where the United States actually is, not go around looking for examples to relive the old days of what the United States used to be.

In ten years, it should be pretty obvious where the United States stands as a country. These things take time, and every imperfection or relapse, every instance of cold feet, will be jumped on by those who want to believe that nothing has changed, that we are still the same superpower that Zinn and Chomsky wrote about.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The problem I have with what you're saying is that I think you're buying the public relations efforts as being core interests rather than the cover under which the core interests may be pursued.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

When this is all over, the narrative will have to be "freedom fighting rebels secure victory from the jaws of defeat against deranged tyrant". Obviously a no-fly zone is needed, and the US airforce should only be a Deus Ex Machina when it is least likely to be noticed. Otherwise, the narrative will be "freedom fighting rebels saved from defeat by American interference".

Narratives are pretty drat effective in that part of the world.

They can always just lie. That happens after every war is over.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sounds like the vote may happen in about 3 hours time:

quote:

Reuters :US Mission to UN Security Council says vote on Libya resolution will likely be at 0330 EDT (1930 GMT)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

(the goal of the Iraq War was spreading democracy, but Bush lied because WMD was an easier sell)

Yeah, calling this guy as a troll. I'm out. :P

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More good news:

quote:

BBC: Arab League envoy to the UN have confirmed that 2 Arab countries are prepared to participate in enforcing a no-fly zone over Libya

I'm wondering if Turkey will be involved as well as it's part of NATO.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

feedmegin posted:

Yeah, calling this guy as a troll. I'm out. :P

Either a troll, or just a loving idiot.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The 4 New York Times journalists are still missing. No word from them since Tuesday.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/four-new-york-times-journalists-are-missing-in-libya/

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
There's talk that Denmark is preparied to go in on a no-fly zone without a UN mandate. There was talk that one Danish party (the Red Greens) want give the rebels stinger missiles so that they could defend themselves instead of having to rely on western intervention.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
On the Arab League:
I'm guessing Egypt and Tunisia for the no fly zone and possibly (comedy option) Iraq?

If they're actually participating it would seem like you'd want Tunisia or Egypt as a base.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

farraday posted:

On the Arab League:
I'm guessing Egypt and Tunisia for the no fly zone and possibly (comedy option) Iraq?

If they're actually participating it would seem like you'd want Tunisia or Egypt as a base.

Egypt is out. Though I'm not sure if this means they won't be dedicating any fighters for a NFZ and let their airbases be used, or if they mean the want to have nothing to do with a NFZ whatsoever. There's not much info, so it really depends on how they define "intervention."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Narmi posted:

Egypt is out.

Egypt to the Libyan people: "gently caress you, got mine."

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'd imagine Egypt doesn't want to risk having an angry crazy neighbor if things go bad somehow.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

XK posted:

I'd imagine Egypt doesn't want to risk having an angry crazy neighbor if things go bad somehow.

I kind of doubt that's it. The last time Ghadaffi tried to mess around with Egypt, it led to a completely one-sided ridiculously embarassing drubbing of the Libyan military, and that was before half his army was blown up by Chadians in pickups. And before Egypt had top of the line American military equipment. And half of what was left of the Libyan army decided they hated him.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 17, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

XK posted:

They're taking a pass because they're sorting their own situation out. They've still got to elect a government, after all. Then their economy is still in shambles. This isn't the right time to be pressing a neighboring country with their issues since their ruler likes to kill people without a care.

Not to mention they may have a refugee problem in a little bit if everything goes poorly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's unrealistic to expect Egypt to step in, they've got enough on their plate right now.

I'm sure France and whoever else is eager to rattle the saber with Sarkozy if the UN doesn't go for the NFZ are perfectly capable of handling the situation anyway.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So according to an article in the Washington Times, John Kerry has confirmed the US government has frozen $31.5 billion of Mubarak's assets in the form of shares, stocks, bank accounts and some real estate in New York and Los Angeles. $31.5 Billion just in the US...

The constitutional referendum is gonna take place 2 days from now on the 19th and there's no clear outcome yet, most polls show a result of 51/49 that switches between Yes/No.

Arguments:

The "Yes" crowd argue that the country is too unstable to wait for a completely new constitution and say the changes are going to be enough to put the country forward on the path to democracy. After these amendments pass, parliamentary elections are to be held within two months and the democratically elected body can then draft a new constitution within 6 months. This notion is supported by the Muslim Brotherhood and the National Democratic Party (Mubarak's). I remember a week ago some imam in Alexandria told people it was a "divine duty" to vote "Yes" on the referendum but tons of people called him out on that.

The "No" crowd argues however that the changes are not enough as they do not take away any of the president's ultimate powers, do not guarantee the independence of the judicial system from the executive one, do not fix the broken down parliamentary system (25% workers, 25% farmers) and that if they pass the country will go through rushed parliamentary elections that the NDP and MB would win as they're the only two established political parties. They're calling for a new constitution to be drafted taking all these issues into consideration and delaying parliamentary elections to give other new parties a chance to organize and recruit members, and they call for presidential elections to be held before parliamentary ones just for this goal. This notion is supported by most opposition parties, lots of popular media figures, non-NDP businessmen (such as Nagib Sawiris) imams and strong presidential candidates and rivals Amr Moussa and Mohamad El Baradei.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Ham how large are concerns over a fraudulent referendum?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

IRQ posted:

I'm sure France and whoever else is eager to rattle the saber with Sarkozy if the UN doesn't go for the NFZ are perfectly capable of handling the situation anyway.

Plus if this happens, we'll get another Ghadaffi speech where he blames the revolt on those filthy Imperialist Danish Pig-Rats for firing hallucenogenic drug-filled rockets at maternity wards and barber shops.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Narmi posted:

There's talk that Denmark is preparied to go in on a no-fly zone without a UN mandate. There was talk that one Danish party (the Red Greens) want give the rebels stinger missiles so that they could defend themselves instead of having to rely on western intervention.

I can't be the only person to be thinking about the Canadian TV show Red Green. If so, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to see happen in Libya (fix everything with duct tape).

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

farraday posted:

Ham how large are concerns over a fraudulent referendum?

Slim to none. Judges will be overseeing all the voting nd the counting process and they're almost always "fair" as the 2005 parliamentary elections showed, which is why Mubarak removed their authority from these matters in the fraudulent elections in 2010. Also civil organizations and people in general will be recording the whole process, the first democratic vote to be held in Egypt in over 70 years.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Ham posted:

So according to an article in the Washington Times, John Kerry has confirmed the US government has frozen $31.5 billion of Mubarak's assets in the form of shares, stocks, bank accounts and some real estate in New York and Los Angeles. $31.5 Billion just in the US...

The link from Google news to this article now says

quote:

That story has been removed from the site

Every so often we are forced to remove stories from our site. We’re sorry but you just happened to request one of them.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Apparently, Kerry mixed up between Mubarak and Qaddafi and the $31.5 billion figure was actually related to Qaddafi. Way to go!

EDIT: How do you make a mistake like this? Is it possible they're covering this up now?

Ham fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 17, 2011

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Apparently entrepreneurs don´t hold a candle to dictators in the dollar-acquiring game.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Washington Times has never not been a joke.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

ChaosSamusX posted:

I can't be the only person to be thinking about the Canadian TV show Red Green. If so, this is exactly the kind of thing I want to see happen in Libya (fix everything with duct tape).

As a fellow Canadian goon, I had to read it twice to make sure it wasn't what I thought it was. Though they do have a bunch of broken water mains...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is apparently one of the aircraft shot down today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AaMmsaa7k&feature=player_embedded

Libya threatens the entire Med:

quote:

Any foreign attack on Libya will endanger air and maritime traffic in the Mediterranean basin and expose the area to both short and long term risks, the Defence Ministry said in a statement broadcast on Libyan television.

The statement said Libya would strike back at civilian and foreign targets if the country comes under attack from foreign forces.

“Any foreign military act against Libya will expose all air and maritime traffic in the Mediterranean Sea to danger and civilian and military (facilities) will become targets of Libya’s counter-attack,” said the statement.

“The Mediterranean basin will face danger not just in the short-term, but also in the long-term,” it said.

The US promises the TNC the vote will pass:

quote:

Al Jazeera Arabic The USA has given the Transitional National Council of Libya assurances that the UN resolution to impose a no-fly zone will pass and that suitable measures to protect the civilians will be made available

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit more on the time of the vote:

quote:

The UN Security Council session has been adjourned until 2200GMT, when ambassadors will go straight into a vote, Benedict Moran, an Al Jazeera producer in New York, reports.

And a bit more about the debate:

quote:

Diplomats have told Al Jazeera that there has been agreement over most of the draft resolution, but there is still concern over one paragraph, reproduced below, which deals with taking "all necessary measures" to protect Libyan civilians, short of an "occupation force".

quote:

Authorises member states that have notified the Secretary-General and the Secretary-General of the League of Arab States, acting nationally or through regional organisations or arrangements, and acting in cooperation with the S-G, to take all necessary measures, notwithstanding paragraph 9 of Resolution 1970, to protect cilivians and civilian populated areas under threat of attack in the Libyan Arab Jamarhiya, including Benghazi, while excluding an occupation force and requests the member states concerned to inform the S-G immediately of the measures they take pursuant to the authorisation conferred by this paragraph which shall immediately reported to the security council.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gaddafi is also planning to make another mental speech today, for the people of Benghazi.

Twitter is also reporting that all the phone lines in the country have been blocked as well.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 17, 2011

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
There is so much fear mongering and double talk it's hard to follow. Gaddafi is constantly saying the rebels are doing terrible things that he is actually doing.
I can't help but think there are people in cities around Libya watching him talk and eating it up.

e: He keeps jumping back and forth between "We will liberate the Libyans that have been captured and influenced by the enemy in Benghazi", or "We must show them mercy" and then jumping to "We will eliminate them. We will kill them all" etc.

Sivias fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009
Huge rallies in Benghazi right now on AJE. People singing, shooting in the air, throwing shoes on the screen of Gaddafi, who continues spewing threats; it makes me believe the rebels have a good chance in this.

It reminds me of what I saw a month ago, in Egypt.

• Locked thread