Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

Patter Song posted:

It's a buddy cop movie. Khamenei and Obama, forced to work together.

...with Ahmadinejad as the comic relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Patter Song posted:

It's a buddy cop movie. Khamenei and Obama, forced to work together.

Kahmenei has only 6 months until retirement and Obama is the fast talking renegade who does things his own way but has a heart of gold?

I'm assuming any formation of armored/ artillery units in West Libya or pretty much anywhere west of Adjabiya is going to get hammered.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
It seems that they've wasted no time in committing aerial assets over Libya; they're actually posting real-time footage of the no-fly zone being enforced.

Here it is; it's stunning stuff.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

farraday posted:

That seems like an unlikely trio. One of these things is not like the others.

All things considered that one probably has the moral high ground. :(

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Wafflecopper posted:

^^^^^ Ahahaha the US and Iran working together... and Israel.

We did for Afghanistan (well, not Israel)

And seriously, cheers for a UN that actually does what it's supposed to do.

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Simtex posted:

Who wants to bet that there's been a bit of quid pro quo deal making for that support. They give you an Arab stamp of approval while the west looks the other way in Bahrain, etc.

While I want to see Khadaffi toppled and hopefully put on trial, I'm in full agreement with this statement.

Although I wonder how much of a precedent this could set for similar situations (who am I kidding...what other brutally repressive pariah states not called North Korea are out there?)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Brown Moses posted:

Oh dear God!! Host on #Libya TV just accused #US, #Israel, and #Iran on collaborating and conspiring to destroy Libya.

And they hired Al Qaeda to do it with cold medicine, which they got from a volcano god that caused the Japanese earthquake when it was summoned.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zappatista posted:

While I want to see Khadaffi toppled and hopefully put on trial, I'm in full agreement with this statement.

Although I wonder how much of a precedent this could set for similar situations (who am I kidding...what other brutally repressive pariah states not called North Korea are out there?)

Iran?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

New thread titles? Middle-East in Revlot : Gaddafi Gets Got

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the air traffic twitter:

quote:

HEADS UP: Bombardier BD-700 tail number N799WW departed earlier this evening #Mitiga #Libya #Gadhafi related? Now overhead Italy!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Can a mod change the title to something Libyan or UN relevant?

Middle-East in Revolt: The UNdies in your home.. blah I don't know.

Brown Moses posted:

Stop thinking like my brain thinks.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Middle East in Revolt: UN involved in Africa.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Middle-East in Revolt: The UNderwear Gnomes Strike Back

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
So aside from France and Britain (:france::hf::britain:) who's going to actually be enforcing this no-fly zone, and carrying out these strikes?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Owlkill posted:

So aside from France and Britain (:france::hf::britain:) who's going to actually be enforcing this no-fly zone, and carrying out these strikes?

I heard Qatar and the UAE may be involved as well.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Likely the US, supposedly some Arab countries as well. Lebanon sponsored the resolution, but they don't have many military assets, so I'm not sure who it would be. Hopefully not any countries in the Gulf.

Lehban
Nov 7, 2010

Owlkill posted:

Denmark has readied 4 F-16's which should be flying south any time now. Not much in itself, but every bit helps.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Owlkill posted:

Denmark also said it would take part in supplying aircraft to enforce it.

e: beaten by a minute.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Interesting tweet from a UN reporter

@kprengel posted:

China says they abstained from the #Libya res, rather than voting no, because of the Arab League's endorsement of no-fly zone. #UN

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Middle-East in Revolt: UN in Libya's Base, Killing All of Ghaddafi's Dudes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zappatista posted:

China would veto any such motion faster than you can say Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Of course, there's no civil war going on in North Korea either in which rebels would be holding major cities.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi: Get Going or Get Ganked

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Welcome to the No Fly Dangerzone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rZWw9HE7o

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 18, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A number of AWACS aircraft are taking off according to the flight tracking Twitter, no doubt to provide support for the No Fly Zone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cartouche posted:

Gaddafi: Get Going or Get Ganked

Middle East in Revolt: From the Halls of UN to the Shores of Tripoli

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

My favorite part of this is that the Libyan mission to the UN will probably endorse a no fly zone and air strikes on their own country.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Nenonen posted:

Middle East in Revolt: From the Halls of UN to the Shores of Tripoli

Folks, I believe that we have a winner! :D

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008
You would think the US Air Force would be chomping at the bit to deploy F-22's in an operation that has a legitimate shot of seeing air to air combat.

Kind of like a "Hey Guys! Our cold war mentality weaponry is still relevant!"

Also if any special forces are sent in on search and rescue for downed pilots they're going to have to be very quiet. Another incident like the SAS one would be pretty damaging.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Middle East in Revolt: Sometimes Pussies gently caress Assholes

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

A number of AWACS aircraft are taking off according to the flight tracking Twitter, no doubt to provide support for the No Fly Zone.

They were already doing 24 hour surveillance though, unless this is a significantly higher number of them

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Simtex posted:

You would think the US Air Force would be chomping at the bit to deploy F-22's in an operation that has a legitimate shot of seeing air to air combat.

Also if any special forces are sent in on search and rescue for downed pilots they're going to have to be very quiet. Another incident like the SAS one would be pretty damaging.

To be fair, the Libyans would never even see the F-22s given the weapons range.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Middle East in Revolt: Sometimes Pussies gently caress Assholes

I believe you mean 'Dicks also gently caress assholes'

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Simtex posted:

Yeah, they seem to be kind of negative on this for some reason...I think that tells us they aren't necessarily taking part on this.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simtex posted:

Well I guess they could test all those computer simulations where a single F22 owns a dozen MiG23s (if they even have that many flight-worthy), but I doubt there will really be much if any air to air fighting anyway. I can't imagine many Libyan pilots being that eager to die for Khadaffi at this point.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost
Statement from the deputy foreign minister of Libya: They are ready to enact a ceasefire and to protect civilians. Whatever that means, sounds like they are stalling.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

gipskrampf posted:

Statement from the deputy foreign minister of Libya: They are ready to enact a ceasefire and to protect civilians. Whatever that means, sounds like they are stalling.

Yup, he said there are "technical issues" they have to work out. I would think "stop shooting if nobody's shooting you" would be pretty simple to put on paper.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Who's celebrating in the room where they just had the press conference? Why are loyalists celebrating as well?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

gipskrampf posted:

Odd, I'm reading that as 'we'll hand over the madman and his entire family, please don't kill us.

A buck says Gaddafi dies in a few hours. It's either that or every single person in the Libyan government that hasn't defected is going to put a knife into his back to save their own.

O2CLT
May 16, 2006

gipskrampf posted:

I especially liked the totally unplanned pro-Gadaffi protesters storming in and started kissing pictures of Gadaffi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The-Mole posted:

To be fair, the Libyans would never even see the F-22s given the weapons range.

More like the drat things won't even take off.

• Locked thread