Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oxygencult posted:

I especially liked the totally unplanned pro-Gadaffi protesters storming in and started kissing pictures of Gadaffi

I loved how the government spokesman (deputy foreign minister?) couldn't give a serious face when giving the statement.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if Libyan army just stops their advance and Gaddafi concentrates on consolidating their hold on the areas they are holding.
VVVV

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I hope the UN takes out any military they can find regardless of what that piece of poo poo says or how he tries to stall.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Nenonen posted:

I loved how the government spokesman (deputy foreign minister?) couldn't give a serious face when giving the statement.

I like to think he's thinking to himself "Finally I can quit my job and write that buddy movie screenplay I've been putting off since college!" Then again at times like this I'm an optimist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I hope the UN takes out any military they can find regardless of what that piece of poo poo says or how he tries to stall.

This is highly plausible, as anything on the ground with a Green Flag is seen as a threat to civilians, and coalition pilots.

That said, Gaddafi forces will likely start sporting the rebel flag as well.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Verizian posted:

I like to think he's thinking to himself "Finally I can quit my job and write that buddy movie screenplay I've been putting off since college!" Then again at times like this I'm an optimist.

Nah, it's like this:

"Well, everything comes to an end. I'm going to go home, pack a bag, act like everything is cool, and catch the next floating raft to Italy as soon as loving possible. How long should I wait before I start writing the tell-all? Five weeks? poo poo, I'll figure it out when I'm in a cell claiming asylum."

Mr Plow
Dec 31, 2004

This is a wonderful day.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So, when does poo poo start going down? Apparently some of the assets started moving out over an hour ago.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

ChaosSamusX posted:

So, when does poo poo start going down? Apparently some of the assets started moving out over an hour ago.

Well I assume as soon as the jets get there. The question is: what are they going to target? Do they attack deployed forces they are tracking in the east, or do they wipe out as many known military installations and assets in the west/tripoli as soon as possible? Will they even target buildings and military sites?

I bet their first target is all the airborne Gad jets and then all the Gad held airfields.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Well I assume as soon as the jets get there. The question is: what are they going to target? Do they attack deployed forces they are tracking in the east, or do they wipe out as many known military installations and assets in the west/tripoli as soon as possible? Will they even target buildings and military sites?

They would probably divide their time destroying the convoys intent on destroying the rebel holdings while taking out Libya's military installations.

EscalatorThief
Jul 28, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I bet their first target is all the airborne Gad jets and then all the Gad held airfields.
I would presume it would be any and all anti-air installations first along with CQ jets.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
They could just attempt to scorch a pattern into empty sand spelling out gently caress Ghaddafi.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The question is how easy will it be to identify his troops. Gaddafi already has a massive notice of what's coming. That's kind of unfortunate because he's known to stoop to any level of ruse already. They'll probably be dressed as nuns.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
It'd be nice if once word of mobilization got out Gaddafi's forces just sort of all gave up at once. I feel kind of bad going in there and destroying all their expensive military gadgets, then shortly thereafter a new and free Libyan government is formed and doesn't have a single tank to its name.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax

Spiky Ooze posted:

The question is how easy will it be to identify his troops. Gaddafi already has a massive notice of what's coming. That's kind of unfortunate because he's known to stoop to any level of ruse already. They'll probably be dressed as nuns.

I guarantee that forward air controllers are being inserted into Libya as we speak.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

davebo posted:

I feel kind of bad going in there and destroying all their expensive military gadgets, then shortly thereafter a new and free Libyan government is formed and doesn't have a single tank to its name.

Why would a free Libya need tanks when they're bordered by free Tunisia and free Egypt?? Besides, the US will undoubtedly be happy to sell shiny new tanks to the US-sponsored rebels once they've taken power.

Edit: I'm not trying to troll, I'm just feeling kind of cynical about the whole thing right now. No offense.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 18, 2011

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

davebo posted:

It'd be nice if once word of mobilization got out Gaddafi's forces just sort of all gave up at once. I feel kind of bad going in there and destroying all their expensive military gadgets, then shortly thereafter a new and free Libyan government is formed and doesn't have a single tank to its name.
They have oil, we have tanks. I'm fairly sure an arrangement could be reached.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Spiky Ooze posted:

He's also incredibly insane, so he could just lose his poo poo all together and start massacring his own people. He supported Idi Amin emphatically and tried to defend his last days which resulted in the massacre of thousands of Ugandan's.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Sinteres posted:

Edit: I'm not trying to troll, I'm just feeling kind of cynical about the whole thing right now. No offense.

Why? The whole point of the uprisings has been that they're from within, each one inspiring the next. No astroturfing by US or any other governments (maybe an argument for Bahrain but even then that's tenuous)

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Why would a free Libya need tanks when they're bordered by free Tunisia and free Egypt?? Besides, the US will undoubtedly be happy to sell shiny new tanks to the US-sponsored rebels once they've taken power.

They also have a huge unsecured border with Chad and Mali, where Gaddafi was the sponsor of militant groups. They'll probably have a few very angry (and armed) people once they take out their cash cow.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.
1st strike takes out CGs propaganda TV, second one takes him out. Please?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

He's also incredibly insane, so he could just lose his poo poo all together and start massacring his own people. He supported Idi Amin emphatically and tried to defend his last days which resulted in the massacre of thousands of Ugandan's.
And Gaddafi was still supporting Milosevic after the ethnic cleansing started.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ibroxmassive posted:

Why?

1. The real lesson of this week seems to be that if you're an African dictator and you want to murder your people you shouldn't be close enough to Europe to embarrass them. And if you're a Middle Eastern dictator and you want to murder your people you should be pals with Saudi Arabia.

2. Russia's representative at the Security Council seemed to make a decent point about the language in the resolution being incredibly vague, and about the belligerent countries not really offering any sort of indication as to what they actually plan to do to help the rebels and/or oppose Qaddafi, outside of saying occupation is out of the question. We don't know if they plan to defend current rebel holdings or if they intend to help the rebels advance across the country, and honestly I'm not sure if they even know yet given how quickly this has all come together.

3. The Arab League supported a no fly zone, not outright regime change. We'll see what the Arab Street has to say about this as time goes on, but my initial guess is that the US won't come out of this any more popular in the Arab world than it is now.

4. Obama didn't make the case to the American people, or engage Congress in a meaningful way. This doesn't negate the good that could potentially come of a successful humanitarian intervention, but it's kind of ironic to support democracy abroad while avoiding democratic accountability at home.

All that said, I obviously hope things turn out well. Qaddafi's a piece of poo poo and deserves pretty much anything that happens to him at this point. But I'm not cheering everything on without reservations.

El-ahrairah
Dec 24, 2007
Armored columns on desert roads are easy pickings. Hopefully this will only take a day. This is a good thing people. Everyone deserves to elect brand new corrupt leaders every few decades.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sinteres posted:

4. Obama didn't make the case to the American people, or engage Congress in a meaningful way. This doesn't negate the good that could potentially come of a successful humanitarian intervention, but it's kind of ironic to support democracy abroad while avoiding democratic accountability at home.

Plus this is coming across as a 'we're just helping our allies' mission. It's the EU's baby and America's just there to lend support. I think that's why we waited until some Arabic nations gave their approval. America has a bad history with wars over there recently, and it's pointless to go into another. If I were Obama, I'd just sign off on being helpful and let Europe take the fall. The good that comes out of it wouldn't really be worth the praise.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

El-ahrairah posted:

Everyone deserves to elect brand new corrupt leaders every few decades.
Or just split the country in half. Protecting Benghazi and making the air safe is one thing but it is going to take a lot more than that for the rebels to take Tripoli

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slave posted:

Or just split the country in half. Protecting Benghazi and making the air safe is one thing but it is going to take a lot more than that for the rebels to take Tripoli

The coalition is going to be bombing Gaddafi's forces as well, because anybody who is his supporter and is armed, is a threat to the innocent.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Sinteres posted:

1. The real lesson of this week seems to be that if you're an African dictator and you want to murder your people you shouldn't be close enough to Europe to embarrass them. And if you're a Middle Eastern dictator and you want to murder your people you should be pals with Saudi Arabia.

2. Russia's representative at the Security Council seemed to make a decent point about the language in the resolution being incredibly vague, and about the belligerent countries not really offering any sort of indication as to what they actually plan to do to help the rebels and/or oppose Qaddafi, outside of saying occupation is out of the question. We don't know if they plan to defend current rebel holdings or if they intend to help the rebels advance across the country, and honestly I'm not sure if they even know yet given how quickly this has all come together.

3. The Arab League supported a no fly zone, not outright regime change. We'll see what the Arab Street has to say about this as time goes on, but my initial guess is that the US won't come out of this any more popular in the Arab world than it is now.

All that said, I obviously hope things turn out well. Qaddafi's a piece of poo poo and deserves pretty much anything that happens to him at this point. But I'm not cheering everything on without reservations.

1. The lesson is that Middle-East/North-African countries CAN have democracy and succeed even against insane dictators and regimes. It's an inspirational movement that I hope gains even more traction and could majorly shape the history of the Middle-East and possibly the world for the positive.

2. This is a good thing. This is a perfect scenario where Rules of Engagement would inhibit the effectiveness of UN intervention where Gad could easily subvert any air-strikes through underhanded tactics. It's a good thing that there were no specifics mentioned. It helps in military effectiveness, surprise- keeps plans secret, and let's military decide on the best course of action to succeed.

3. Wrong, completely wrong. Arab league will love this. The US staying out of it will only help their image.

4. Obama staying out of this is the best thing for the US that could possibly happen in this scenario.

I don't agree with any one point you made at all. In-fact, your points are so ridiculous and out-of-touch with reality .... ...Gaddafi?

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 18, 2011

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I would imagine one group goes screaming towards the rebel territory and gets prepared for close air support in case one of CG's men so much as coughs towards a civilian while a second group slowly doddles outside of effective range directly over CG territory in case someone with more balls than brains wants to suddenly become a smoking crater.

El-ahrairah
Dec 24, 2007
I really want video of the celebration in benghazi. Though after my initial elation I can see so many ways for gadaffi to poo poo this up. oops

El-ahrairah fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 18, 2011

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sinteres posted:

Why would a free Libya need tanks when they're bordered by free Tunisia and free Egypt??

Sovereign nations like to have tanks and things to protect that sovereignty. Even Switzerland, surrounded by democracies on all sides, keeps a strong army - and Europe is relatively stable in comparison to North Africa.

Frankly speaking, it's too early to say what Tunisia and Egypt will become like. Time will only tell.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
The Rebels took near every town and came close to taking Tripoli before, mercs, loyalists, and air-strikes stopped them.

Air-strikes are going to be a thing of the past and there is now a unspecific resolution that will be used to destroy any decent hardware the loyalists/mercs have.

Not to mention that now since Egypt has begun arming the rebels they're going to be offering more direct support seeing as any scenario where the rebels lose could lead to a Libya-Egypt conflict.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I don't agree with any one point you made at all. In-fact, your points are so ridiculous and out-of-touch with reality .... ...Gaddafi?

I'm not going to compare you to Qaddafi, but you have some ego to think that disagreeing with your opinion = being out of touch with reality. I'm not even sure I oppose what's going to happen, since we haven't heard a real plan. I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing a few reservations as the US starts a third (admittedly much smaller than the other two) war in the broader Middle East.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Slave posted:

This is the outcome that seems most likely to me. If we truly don't want to get involved, and both sides will in no way come to agreement, then some lines may have to be drawn and enforced outside. It's no long term solution, but it seems likely given the conditions.

El-ahrairah
Dec 24, 2007
Sen. Lindsey Graham (R) of South Carolina called on the Obama administration to be “at least as bold as the French."

le sigh..

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

El-ahrairah posted:

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R) of South Carolina called on the Obama administration to be “at least as bold as the French."

le sigh..

He can't stand seeing browns get airstriked without the USA getting involved. The fact that it's the French must be very traumatic to his world view. Move over Lindsey, the French and British are old hats in this game and this time they are actually on the people's side.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Simtex posted:

You would think the US Air Force would be chomping at the bit to deploy F-22's in an operation that has a legitimate shot of seeing air to air combat.

Same goes for our Eurofighters, actually. They were designed to fly air superiority missions against the Soviets in Western Germany. It's nice they'll actually get to do the job they were designed to do rather than acting as rather mediocre ground attack craft.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

El-ahrairah posted:

le sigh..

If nothing else at least it's an improvement from the usual "BROWN SKINNED MUSLIM TERRORISTS!" :supaburn:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Same goes for our Eurofighters, actually. They were designed to fly air superiority missions against the Soviets in Western Germany. It's nice they'll actually get to do the job they were designed to do rather than acting as rather mediocre ground attack craft.

Eurofighters? Well that's the end of the Libyan airforce then.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Eurofighters? Well that's the end of the Libyan airforce then.

Yeah I'm pretty sure all of CQ's pilots are going to have a hand on the ejection handle at all times once they hear about this.

Radar contact! OH FUUUU---- EJECT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

feedmegin posted:

You actually think there will be any sustained air-air? Things will be done in hours. Without any dog fights ala WWII.

• Locked thread