Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Xandu posted:

His point was the UN is not a monolithic organization that can just act. It requires sovereign states to get together and agree.

I think his point more so was that the UN is severely crippled/ineffective because 2 nations with veto power are working against what the UN should stand for/the democratic ideals of the western world- which ties in with what you're saying that all the nations on the SC need to agree or it's bust.

edit: y'll should stop comparing Libya to Iraq and Afghanistan, it's not at all a good analogy in any shape or form.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Competition posted:

^^^^ No-one has predicted a quick painless victory, they have however said that your comparisons to a forever war in Afghan/Iraq are incorrect.

It's impossible to tell what is correct and what isn't. There's zero reliable public information from Libya - what truth there is is drowned under rumours and propaganda. This makes it very much impossible to assess the forces and tactics used by either side, or just how many people really support or oppose Gaddafi. Hopefully western military intelligence services are better aware of the situation, but I don't think we are going to find out what really happened until after the war is over.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

farraday posted:

You completely ignored the very idea that civilian populations in reconquered cities might in any way matter until now. You reduced to to a two dimensional problem and said it would require western military intervention on the ground because (obviously) it is impossible for the rebels to take cities.

western military invention on the ground is going to take place with the introduction of any serious amount of western airpower or the placing of any hope of an organized rebel force retaking the country. That is generally how we work.

quote:

My recollection of events at the time is that the NC took Afghanistan before anyone in the West sent any substantial number of ground troops there. Feel free to provide evidence to the contrary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_Afghanistan_%282001%E2%80%93present%29#2001:_Initial_attack

it's also worth noting that we intentionally incurred significant risk during the first few weeks because the decision was made to move in advance of when larger ground elements could be made available. Expected casualty rates were 50+% (according to George Tenet). We are likely not willing to incur such rates on behalf of Libbya

Unfortunately, I think many people in this thread are predisposed toward rejecting anything I might say due. At the least I would check out this well respected blog run by a scholar (and veteran) over at CNAS - generally considered the launching point for many Obama Administration foreign policy types.

http://www.cnas.org/blogs/abumuqawama

in particular http://www.cnas.org/blogs/abumuqawama/2011/03/war.html
as well as the comments section, which generally tends to be better informed on security issues given the readership

Thunderstorm
Jul 7, 2002
Shtoopid Noobie?

Happydayz posted:

trained light infantry force vs untrained armed civilians with no command and control. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Not sure if Gadaffis troops are from the area, but I think the key factor is knowing the stack of crates next to the building exit on the terrorist site of de_dust. That's kinda the key advantage of local guerrillas.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Happydayz posted:

in particular http://www.cnas.org/blogs/abumuqawama/2011/03/war.html
as well as the comments section, which generally tends to be better informed on security issues given the readership

quote:

Odd how several years ago, a multitude of Libyan suicide bombers were blowing up US soldiers and innocent people all over Iraq, and yet here we are providing a no fly zone in Libya. Mind you, it wasn't Gaddafi that sent those suicide bombers to Iraq, although he has American blood on his hands too. From a practical point of view, perhaps letting them fight it out was the best option? Maybe we should ask a US soldier who was wounded by a Libyan suicide bomber, or ask the parents of a dead soldier who was killed by these irhabists?

Yes, very educated.

In any case Happydayz can you explain to me why you think the libyan forces are so well trained presumably more accurate coalition bombing will have no effect on their morale?

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Thunderstorm posted:

Not sure if Gadaffis troops are from the area, but I think the key factor is knowing the stack of crates next to the building exit on the terrorist site of de_dust. That's kinda the key advantage of local guerrillas.

It's a mistake to think that urban insurgencies are successful just due to the spontaneous resistance of the locals. The Iraq insurgency for example was first hubbed around regime loyalists who had specifically trained for this, and later transitioned to organized insurgents with coherent training and command and control.

Civilians taking up arms and fighting organized militaries a la Les Miserables generally do not end well.

I would also caution against being too confident that former conscripts are somehow comparably trained to regime elements that are still loyal to the country. I'm willing to bet that Libyan conscripts are more akin to North Korean conscripts vs the German Bundeswehr conscripts. Many dictatorships will identify core military elements to receive actual useful training while the conscripted forces act to fill other social functions (pool of labor / loyalty building / inherent reserve force)

quote:

Yes, very educated.

It's an open blog. But also one where the likes of Gian Gentile regularly engage with commentators and most people there have actual military or security backgrounds. For the record - there is a good earlier post there which shows that Libya provided a significantly disproportionate share of foreign fighters to AQI in Iraq, and that western Libya was where most of them originated. This is likely not relevant to the discussion at hand but still worth keeping in the back of your mind.

quote:

In any case Happydayz can you explain to me why you think the libyan forces are so well trained presumably more accurate coalition bombing will have no effect on their morale?

and I said this where?

Coalition airpower can cause tremendous havoc to Libyan ground forces, in particular any armor or vehicles. But at best that will just arrest their momentum, not roll it back. Airpower does not win wars, boots on ground do. And unfortunately we are relying on a rather poor source of these.

Happydayz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 18, 2011

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Happydayz posted:

Unfortunately, I think many people in this thread are predisposed toward rejecting anything I might say due.

Well firstly, Afghanistan and Iraq are not apt comparisons or similar in any way.

Secondly, I think the biggest problem with your viewpoint is that you (and I) don't know the capability of the rebels right now, and lastly, and most importantly, the situation in Libya is far removed from any comparison you've made. There are many factors to consider that really do put the rebels in the better position right now.

1. Libyan's male adult citizens are all conscripts
2. The biggest advantages Gad forces had over the rebels has been cut-off: airforce, navy, artillery, and desert tank warfare. All easily shutdown by the NFZ.
3. The spirit of the revolution. This isn't a phoney-uprising, it's a movement by the people.
4. Urban warfare capabiltiies of the rebels and improvement of these abilities and organization over time.
5. Overestimating the resolve of the military to kill their own people and not defect over time.

I haven't read anything you've posted refuting these points.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 18, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Happydayz posted:

and I said this where?

Coalition airpower can cause tremendous havoc to Libyan ground forces, in particular any armor or vehicles. But at best that will just arrest their momentum, not roll it back. Airpower does not win wars, boots on ground do. And unfortunately we are relying on a rather poor source of these.

"The Libyan airforce are dropping dumb bombs and not exactly highly trained. Do you really think that their air power was effective? How many rebels do you think actually died or were wounded by Libyan air power? Read the New Yorker article I posted - the effectiveness of Libyan air power was not in its actual kinetic effects, but rather through the incompetence/negligence of the rebels."

So, the libyan airforce was completely ineffective at doing damage to the rebels. Agreed.

Is your argument then that the air attacks had absolutely no effect? I doubt it, you're clutching that article like a life preserver and it makes it pretty clear they fled because of the air attacks.

Now then, obviously you agree coalition air strikes will be far more effective, and yet you've argued it's going to just be "trained light infantry force vs untrained armed civilians" and can only end one way.

You have amazing faith in the quality of libyan armed forces Happy, did you help train them or something?

JJ
May 15, 2002

I hate it here.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I think his point more so was that the UN is severely crippled/ineffective because 2 nations with veto power are working against what the UN should stand for/the democratic ideals of the western world- which ties in with what you're saying that all the nations on the SC need to agree or it's bust.

edit: y'll should stop comparing Libya to Iraq and Afghanistan, it's not at all a good analogy in any shape or form.

Actually my point was more about how the UN is not a monolithic organisation, and hence when people criticise the UN for sitting on it rear end or whatever, they're missing the point.

While I sympathise with your sentiments on members from democratic countries, the UN Security Council is more about being representative of power in the world - both economic and military. That's why there's talk of promoting countries like India and Brazil to permanent members of the council.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Gonkish posted:

At this point I just want to see the fucker strung up by the Libyans.
Shows what you know. Men don't even have libyans.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

farraday posted:

"The Libyan airforce are dropping dumb bombs and not exactly highly trained. Do you really think that their air power was effective? How many rebels do you think actually died or were wounded by Libyan air power? Read the New Yorker article I posted - the effectiveness of Libyan air power was not in its actual kinetic effects, but rather through the incompetence/negligence of the rebels."

So, the libyan airforce was completely ineffective at doing damage to the rebels. Agreed.

Is your argument then that the air attacks had absolutely no effect? I doubt it, you're clutching that article like a life preserver and it makes it pretty clear they fled because of the air attacks.

Yes, they fled because of the air attacks. Not because of its kinetic effects (see first paragraph you quoted), but rather because of their own lack of professionalism/skill/competence/etc. I'm not quite sure why you posted this.

quote:

Now then, obviously you agree coalition air strikes will be far more effective, and yet you've argued it's going to just be "trained light infantry force vs untrained armed civilians" and can only end one way.

Yes, if they fight in the cities it is unlikely that coalition airpower will be brought to bear. It would be exceptionally difficult to call down air strikes in such an environment and would require putting US forward air controllers in an incredibly risky urban environment where there would be a high risk of capture. Not to say that we wouldn't do this, but if we did you can again bet that we would want to have a large ground presence readily available to back them up.

quote:

You have amazing faith in the quality of libyan armed forces Happy, did you help train them or something?

I am skeptical of people who think that this will be easy, short, and done entirely from the air.

quote:

2. The biggest advantages Gad forces had over the rebels has been cut-off: airforce, navy, artillery, and desert tank warfare. All easily shutdown by the NFZ.
3. The spirit of the revolution. This isn't a phoney-uprising, it's a movement by the people.
4. Urban warfare capabiltiies of the rebels and improvement of these abilities and organization over time.
5. Overestimating the resolve of the military to kill their own people and not defect over time.

I haven't read anything you've posted refuting these points.

I've addressed 1, 2, and 4. 3 and 5 are the intangibles. I'll just quote what I said in another thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3397841&pagenumber=1#lastpost

quote:

Also a lot depends on Gadaffi himself and whether he wants to go for broke and take Benghazi, or whether he wants to consolidate what he has retaken. A potential game changer is the status of the civilians in the recaptured areas and whether they will now rise up and eject regime forces, and whether those regime forces - who are probably not the cream of the crop - will stand and fight against their own civilians.

but like I said a page or two ago, this means that you are placing the hope for this operation almost entirely on factors that you cannot control (the status of the people in the cities and that of the non-elite/non-core regime militaries). We've heard this story before - it was called Operation Iraqi Freedom. I think it is easy to understand why retreading this story again is making many people nervous, especially when it means that if your hope is misplaced our Plan B involves a large scale and indefinite military operation in North Africa.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

They've already beaten these exact same forces in the cities Happydayz. What they haven't done well at is receiving artillery and airstrikes, which is no longer a major issue. Why you don't get this is frankly confusing.

If the libyan forces try and concentrate they're going to get hosed up by airpower, if they try and bunker down in cities with hostile populations they're going to get overthrown. If they try and advance they're going to get bombed

You think the combat is between Free Libyan militias in Benghazi and Libyan troops. It isn't. It's between the populations in the cities they take refuge in and whatever quality troops are available.

Get that through your head and stop making stupid comments about how trained light infantry will beat civilians with guns because, I mean, they just will you know.

And I'm so impressed with your post about how civilian populations could be important maybe somehow well after I made that point in this thread in response to your earlier "hur conventional battle" comments.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Farraday - you are assuming that what happened initially during the uprising is the same as what is happening now.

The first uprisings against Gadaffi were of citizens and of military forces generally not taking action, a la Egypt.

What has happened since then is loyalist forces retaking cities and clearing away opposition blocking them. This is a different type of fight.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Happydayz posted:

We've heard this story before - it was called Operation Iraqi Freedom.

This is why you are wrong. Operation Iraqi Freedom is nothing like what is happening in Libya. The Iraqis did not revolt against Hussein. The country was not on the verge of civil war and unrest. The UN did not step in, vote, and install an internationally, and most importantly, locally rejoiced military intervention. There is a huge difference.

quote:

They've already beaten these exact same forces in the cities Happydayz. What they haven't done well at is receiving artillery and airstrikes, which is no longer a major issue. Why you don't get this is frankly confusing.

Pretty much this is the biggest factor. He doesn't understand how the NFZ has basically saved the rebels and put them on equal footing with superior numbers and morale.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 18, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Happydayz posted:

Farraday - you are assuming that what happened initially during the uprising is the same as what is happening now.

The first uprisings against Gadaffi were of citizens and of military forces generally not taking action, a la Egypt.

What has happened since then is loyalist forces retaking cities and clearing away opposition blocking them. This is a different type of fight.

You don't even know what happened in Banghazi at the start of this do you? I mean really, you're completely clueless. You literally believe it's a straight up campaign from Benghazi to Tripoli between your hypothetically trained light infantry and armed civilians in a route march.

Go back to reading your blog comments about how it's a shame new york times journalists aren't killed and how we shouldn't bother helping these libyan suicide bombers, some one in there may have an educated opinion.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Happydayz posted:

Except that the after the NFZ is imposed, the status quo will return to the situation in the first part of the uprising - Ghadaffi forces in cities, at risk of being overrun or ejected by civilian rioters and (now armed) outright Rebel forces - except that now they have absolutely no way of reinforcing themselves or retaking cities that fall to the Rebels in the future without incurring horrific losses from UN airpower.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Bahrain rounds up the opposition leaders in a night raid.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as-bahrain-arrests-the-opposition-leaders-no-one-is-left-for-dialogue/2011/03/17/ABhiJ6m_story.html posted:

MANAMA, BAHRAIN — American calls for Bahrain’s government to negotiate with protesters fell on deaf ears Thursday after the arrest of seven movement leaders in early-morning raids left it unclear who could speak for the opposition.

The leaders — some of whom had for weeks dominated a stage set up in Pearl Square, which protesters had occupied until security forces cleared it Wednesday — are now behind bars. The stage was leveled Thursday along with much else, even the palm trees. And the vastly outgunned opposition appeared to have few viable options as evening curfews continued to quiet the capital.

“The future is dark,” said Matar Ebrahim Ali Matar, a member of the main opposition political society al-Wefaq who said he did not know what would become of the protest movements. He said he was not aware of any communication between opposition groups and the government since thousands of troops from Saudi Arabia and other Persian Gulf states arrived Monday.

The government said those who were arrested were members of a “sedition ring” who had “intelligence contacts with foreign countries,” according to a statement from Bahrain’s military that was carried by the Bahrain state news agency. They “incited . . . the killing of citizens,” the statement said.

Al-Wefaq leader Sheikh Ali Salman, who was not arrested in the raids, called Thursday for Saudi troops to leave Bahrain and asked for an independent international investigation into this week’s events.

There were small scattered protests Thursday across the country, some of which were dispersed by police using tear gas and rubber bullets, witnesses said.

Meanwhile, the country’s health minister resigned, and at least two small government hospitals in Shiite areas were closed despite a need for medical care.

It was not immediately clear why he resigned nor why hospitals had been ordered closed. Neither the Health Ministry nor the Interior Ministry responded to requests for explanation, but residents of the surrounding Shiite villages had an idea.

The government “wants to prove there is nothing here in Bahrain,” that there is no crackdown, said Badriya, who asked that her last name not be used, out of concern for her safety. She visited Jidhafs Maternity Center on Thursday, searching for her nephew and his friend, both of whom had been missing since Wednesday.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lascivious Sloth posted:

There are many factors to consider that really do put the rebels in the better position right now.

There is a marked difference between having served in the military and being well trained in the ways of war. Even reservists who have gotten training fitting western standards do need comprehensive rehearsals to become effective units during mobilization. There are also many lessons about conscription that I doubt that either Libyan army or the rebels are unable to take heed of, such as mobilizing reserves as whole units where men serve with their former conscript buddies under their old NCO's rather than forming new units with no cohesion.

quote:

It will make it nigh on impossible to carry on the attacks toward Benghazi and Tobruk, but it doesn't make it any easier for the rebels to take the lost ground back. The UN resolution's text doesn't forbid using tanks and artillery to defend government held cities from rebel attacks.

quote:

What does that even mean? Can you cite how large percentage of the Libyan population supports the revolution? People in this thread have been assuming from day one that the revolution is popular and that Gaddafi has only hours, then days, then weeks time. When this didn't happen the foreign mercenaries were blamed. It's quite obvious that not all Libyans oppose Gaddafi, at least not to the extent that they'd risk their lives for it.

quote:

This can happen, but there would have to be some sustained fighting between major forces to result in significant developments. It would be better to compare this to any real life civil wars - after years of fighting, there may be only cursory changes in tactics and organization.

quote:

There may also be an underestimation of the loyalty of the troops going on in here. We just don't know. In general, people can be quite willing to kill their own people, as we've witnessed in so many civil wars in history.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

It seems like, from a purely idealogical viewpoint, the UN is trying to level the playing field with the NFZ. So idealogically, they aren't directly becoming involved in the situation. There's an attitude of being able to dust their hands off and whistle back to whatever work they were doing before bombs were dropped.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

eggyolk posted:

It seems like, from a purely idealogical viewpoint, the UN is trying to level the playing field with the NFZ. So idealogically, they aren't directly becoming involved in the situation. There's an attitude of being able to dust their hands off and whistle back to whatever work they were doing before bombs were dropped.

No, the mandate allows the use of all available means to protect civilians. This can be interpreted in many ways but will likely involve air-to-ground attacks against Libyan ground forces, especially if Gadaffi has his forces continue to push towards Benghazi.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I think a key factor will be the desert environment, with large distances between cities and only single route highway access that will work against any troop or armour movements of Gad forces to reinforce or resupply. It's pretty much divide and conquer for the rebels.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Zappatista posted:

Although I wonder how much of a precedent this could set for similar situations (who am I kidding...what other brutally repressive pariah states not called North Korea are out there?)

Not likely, considering most of the likely targets would not be states that have alienated the entire world like Libya. The only non-North Korea candidate that I could think of that would even be conceivable is Burma, and they're a Chinese client state and China would never allow Western troops in Burma.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Yes, I assume that's whats going to happen considering the loose wording. It's hard to fault China and Russia from abstaining since it's obviously going to escalate into something more than is implied by "no fly zone." Something tells me though that the whole approach will be done with a sort of altruistic peace keeper innocence under the pretext of "we'll shoot down anything in the air, regardless of who it belongs to, even though we know that innocent civilians don't have aircraft. oh and we'll be running a full-scale air-ground assault on Ghaddafi but that's still part of the non-meddling, totally impartial no-fly zone thing still

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

If I'm reading this article correctly, Bahrain is removing Lulu Roundabout (where the protesters were gathered) and replacing it with traffic lights. Because you know, they can't protest without a roundabout.

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I think a key factor will be the desert environment, with large distances between cities and only single route highway access that will work against any troop or armour movements of Gad forces to reinforce or resupply. It's pretty much divide and conquer for the rebels.

I think there are two big pivot points that will make themselves clear in the next 1-3 days:

1) Will Gadafi commit his forces to retaking Benghazi?
2) Will civilian uprisings in recaptured cities be sufficient in quality+quantity to overwhelm security forces.

If Gadafi commits to taking Benghazi he runs the serious risk of losing his most loyal military units to coalition aircraft. If he instead concentrates on preserving/protecting his force he can keep these elements for later.

Either point can become a game changer. If neither materialize I suspect this will likely turn into a protracted affair.

The divide between the highways in and of themselves is not a game changer. It will complicate Gadafi's ability to move armor and artillery between the cities. However his infantry and police units will still likely have freedom of movement.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Patter Song posted:

Not likely, considering most of the likely targets would not be states that have alienated the entire world like Libya. The only non-North Korea candidate that I could think of that would even be conceivable is Burma, and they're a Chinese client state and China would never allow Western troops in Burma.

Côte d'Ivoire seems like a possible contender depending on what happens there.

eggyolk posted:

It's hard to fault China and Russia from abstaining since it's obviously going to escalate into something more than is implied by "no fly zone."

You really can. Their intentions aren't as altruistic as they may seem.

Happydayz posted:

I think there are two big pivot points that will make themselves clear in the next 1-3 days:

1) Will Gadafi commit his forces to retaking Benghazi?
2) Will civilian uprisings in recaptured cities be sufficient in quality+quantity to overwhelm security forces.

If Gadafi commits to taking Benghazi he runs the serious risk of losing his most loyal military units to coalition aircraft. If he instead concentrates on preserving/protecting his force he can keep these elements for later.

Either point can become a game changer. If neither materialize I suspect this will likely turn into a protracted affair.

I actually agree with you for once. The next few days will probably shape or give away how the next weeks and months will go down.

quote:

The divide between the highways in and of themselves is not a game changer. It will complicate Gadafi's ability to move armor and artillery between the cities. However his infantry and police units will still likely have freedom of movement.

Well we agree on some things at least.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 18, 2011

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

eggyolk posted:

Something tells me though that the whole approach will be done with a sort of altruistic peace keeper innocence under the pretext of "we'll shoot down anything in the air, regardless of who it belongs to, even though we know that innocent civilians don't have aircraft. oh and we'll be running a full-scale air-ground assault on Ghaddafi but that's still part of the non-meddling, totally impartial no-fly zone thing still

I don't see why it needs to be tiptoed around. Ghadaffi was burning bound prisoners alive and shooting up crowds with ZSU's - gently caress pretending to be impartial. If he wants to have a civil war and break all his toys rather than share, he gets to deal with the rest of the world slapping the poo poo out of him.

The minute the Rebels start lining up conscientious objector in their ranks and shooting them in the back of the head, sure, expand the NFZ's rules to them too. But we shouldn't have to shy away from saying "the UN is enforcing the NFZ because Ghadaffi is a loving animal".

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I actually agree with you for once. The next few days will probably shape or give away how the next weeks and months will go down.

Well we agree on some things at least.

hah. Well we've moved past the stage of what we should do to what we are actually doing. In that sense everyone is in the same boat in hoping that Gadaffi commits a few massive gently caress-ups or that the rebels gain sufficient momentum off of the symbolism of a No-Fly-Zone

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

White House briefed US Senators on NFZ plans.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/17/inside_classified_hill_briefing_administration_spells_out_war_plan_for_libya?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4d82de1b1d470f0f,0 posted:

Several administration officials held a classified briefing for all senators on Thursday afternoon in the bowels of the Capitol building, leaving lawmakers convinced President Barack Obama is ready to attack Libya but wondering if it isn't too late to help the rebels there.

Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs Bill Burns led the briefing and was accompanied by Alan Pino, National Intelligence Officer for the Near East, Gen. John Landry, National Intelligence Officer for Military Issues, Nate Tuchrello, National Intelligence Manager for Near East, Rear Adm. Michael Rogers, Director of Intelligence for the Joint Chiefs of Staff and Rear Admiral Kurt Tidd, Vice Director of Operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Several senators emerged from the briefing convinced that the administration was intent on beginning military action against the forces of Col. Muammar al-Qaddafi within the next few days and that such action would include both a no-fly zone as well as a "no-drive zone" to prevent Qaddafi from crushing the rebel forces, especially those now concentrated in Benghazi.

"It looks like we have Arab countries ready to participate in a no-fly and no-drive endeavor," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told reporters after the briefing.

Asked what he learned from the briefing, Graham said, "I learned that it's not too late, that the opposition forces are under siege but they are holding, and that with a timely intervention, a no-fly zone and no-drive zone, we can turn this thing around."

Asked exactly what the first wave of attacks would look like, Graham said, "We ground his aircraft and some tanks start getting blown up that are headed toward the opposition forces."

As for when the attacks would start, he said "We're talking days, not weeks, and I'm hoping hours, not days," adding that he was told the U.N. Security Council resolution would be crafted to give the international community the authority to be "outcome determinant" and "do whatever's necessary."

The Security Council adopted the resolution on Thursday evening by a vote of 10-0 with 5 abstentions.

Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) told reporters that he expected the military operations to be run out of Sicily, where NATO Base Sigonella and U.S. Naval Air Station Sigonella are located.

"I know we have naval assets that are some distance away, so this would have to be U.S. Air Force Europe that would have the majority load for the time being, if the order is given," said Kirk.

Inside the briefing, several senators asked questions about how quickly the no-fly zone could be implemented, whether that was enough to stop Qaddafi's forces, what other military options might be used, and whether the administration had waited too long to act.

"There were concerns about the protection of civilians and one of those concerns was, is it too late," one Senate staffer who was in the meeting told The Cable.

Both Graham and Kirk said that they believed it was not too late, but that the success of the mission depended on super-quick implementation.

"It seems that the administration is moving and now the only question is time," said Kirk. "A lot still depends on the rebels at the very least holding Benghazi. If they do, there may be time for the international political system to respond. If they collapse quickly, no."

Graham and Kirk both said that they had thrown their support behind Obama's new Libya policy.

"I want to take back criticism I gave to them yesterday and say, ‘you are doing the right thing,'" said Graham. "My money is on the American Air Force, the American Navy, and our allies to contain the Libyans, and anybody on our side that says we can't contain the Libyan air threat -- I want them fired."

But Obama lost longtime supporter Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN) who said in Thursday morning's hearing with Burns that any military intervention in Libya should require a formal declaration of war by the U.S. Congress.

Lugar also opposes military intervention in Libya on the grounds that the nation can't afford it at a time of deep fiscal debt and called on Obama to explain why attacking Libya is in America's national interest. The humanitarian argument just isn't enough, he said.

"We would not like to stand by and see people being shot, but the same argument could be made in Bahrain at present and perhaps in Yemen, so if you have a civil war it's very likely people are going to be out for each other," Lugar told The Cable in an interview. "This debate cannot be totally divorced from the realities of what are the contending issues right here and now."

But Graham responded to Lugar's caution in an interview with The Cable, saying that the risk of doing nothing and allowing Qaddafi to remain in power after Obama said "he must go" is far greater than that of getting involved militarily.

"They have my authorization. You can't have 535 commander in chiefs," Graham said. "I would like to have a vote in the floor when we get back saying they did the right thing. But that shouldn't restrict the president from taking timely action."

At Thursday morning's hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Air Force Chief of Staff Norton Schwartz said that Qaddafi's forces had reestablished control over large swaths of territory and that the Libyan leader had tens of planes and hundreds of helicopters in use.

He called the plan to impose a no-fly zone in a few days "overly optimistic" and said "it would take upwards of a week."

Schwartz was also clear that while the U.S. military can impose a no-fly zone, that's not likely to stop Qaddafi all by itself. He also noted that to do so effectively might require diverting some resources from the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"The question is, is a no-fly zone the last step or is it the first step?" Schwartz said.

Asked by Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) whether a no-fly zone could turn the momentum, Scwartz replied, "A no-fly zone, sir, would not be sufficient."

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Good to see McCain wants to start another war. Whoopie, we all gonna die!

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
God, the US should really just leave this to the EU and AL. Those Republican senators are like children.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Côte d'Ivoire seems like a possible contender depending on what happens there.

No one (except France) wants to intervene in Sub-Saharan Africa, and even in France's case, it's because it loves playing big brother to its former colonial possessions.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Everyone has been having a go at it, so here's my take on what the no-fly zone means for the Libyans (apologies, it got a bit long). Hopefully I'm not too wrong:

I don't think anyone here is comparing a no-fly zone to some kind of magic wand that the rebels are going to be able to wave around and make Gaddafi's forces disappear. Rather it's something that gives them a morale boost and will keep some of his forces at bay, allowing them to train and re-arm, maybe kick the army out of their cities and perhaps encourage more defections. I actually think some of you guys are right in saying that the civilian rebels, conscripts or not, are poorly trained - they've been constantly shooting off their guns (wasting ammo whenever something happens that excites them) but they probably don't know how to use them properly, and they don't really have anyone who can come up with a strategy (the military rebels would be the most help here, but they advanced too quickly to Bin Jawad while the military was still reorganizing and planning their next move). I remember reading that quite a few of the wounds they've received were from friendly fire too. They need the time this will provide to become an actual fighting force. Not that I think they're incompetent or anything, the Libyans certainly proved they are willing to fight when their backs were against the wall, they're just mostly poorly trained, overly-enthusiastic young men who got caught up in the idea of a glorious revolution for their country.

If you want to go with an Afghan analogy (not the war itself, just a similiarty I think is apt), the Afghan National Army is recruiting heavily from the civilian population and gives them an eight week crash course before graduating them. Many of the men end up running away when they enter their first engagement, and many simply refuse to fight, instead hiding under cover. Many enter the ANA for the same reasons the Libyan youth go to fight - to protect their homeland. The reality of the situation doesn't really sink in until they're actually in a firefight. The key difference between Afghanistan and Libya is that this isn't just a job, it's a fight for survival. At this point if they throw down their weapons and run, they know Gaddafi will come after them. They were able to retreat from Ras Lanuf, but they can't go much further back than Ajdabiya or Benghazi. We saw in Zawiya that when they have nowhere to go and no choice but to fight, they actually do pretty well. Hopefully with training and better weapons they do even better.

Personally, I think it's going to take a while, on the order of weeks (if not months), for the situation in Libya to be resolved, which is actually pretty good when you consider that civil wars generally take much longer. The opposition has a whole list of things they need to do - getting supply routes set up from Tobruk to Benghazi to Ajdabiya, fortifying their positions, training and equipping their rebel army, not to mention they've got to find a way to keep their infrastructure from crumbling so people can actually live/feed themselves, all these things require time that before today they simply didn't have. They can't just grab a bunch of guns and RPGs and start marching towards Tripoli just yet - at this point that would at best result in temporary gains, at worst be a one-sided massacre.

Of course, there's a bunch of wild cards here - I'm assuming (hoping) there isn't any escalation in the foreign intervention, which might be unrealistic, Gaddafi can still force the rebels to act prematurely if he or his commander) are smart about it, how the rebels will fare against tanks/artillery, are Gaddafi's troops going to consolidate their gains, will NATO be sharing the intel on troop movements with the rebels (they do have AWACS doing 24h surveillance), what the cities in the west will do (most likely they will side with the rebels, but then again they may have had their fill of fighting and a lot of people have been arrested/disappeared), how long can their resources hold out (food, ammunition, even fuel is going to get more limited as time goes on), will the rebels be able to use their air power, what kind of weapons is Egypt supplying them with (from what I heard it was just light weaponry, but there was talk about buying heavier stuff), etc. All of these factors, coupled with the lack of reliable information coming out of Libya make it really hard to predict what's actually going to happen.

The next few days will give us a better understanding of what's going on, and will be going on in Libya and how much of an effect the UN resolution will have, but in the end I think that the greatest benefit the no-fly (and no-drive) zone offers the Libyans, aside from averting civilian casualties, is that it gives them a chance they didn't have before today to get a second wind. What they do with that is up to them.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Ok, pages of speculation on what's going to happen, but what are the Libyan people's reactions to this decision?

I'm totally stoked, btw.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

pwnyXpress posted:

Ok, pages of speculation on what's going to happen, but what are the Libyan people's reactions to this decision?

I'm totally stoked, btw.

Judging from the feed from Benghazi, they were happy with getting a NFZ. It might not be the miracle they expect, but it certainly boosted their morale.

e: Also they really like France now.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm totally stoked, btw.
Cheering and celebratory flag-waving/gun-firing in Benghazi and Tobruk.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

pwnyXpress posted:

I'm totally stoked, btw.

Well Benghazi was jubilant and celebratory. But I haven't read reactions anywhere else (no access to twitter here.)

Paging Brown Moses to the thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Slantedfloors posted:

Cheering and celebratory flag-waving/gun-firing in Benghazi and Tobruk.

They, like most people, may not realize that a NFZ involves bombing ground installations, however.

The whole situation is still very unpredictable and it remains to be seen how the countries participating in the NFZ will operate. It could range from just taking out anti-air and aircraft capabilities to straight up bombing Khadaffi's forces from the text of the resolution.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Theres one big thing in favor of the rebels though IMO. They only have to kill one man right? Does GQ have a 2nd in command that would want to continue on being an insane person? This thing started because he wanted to be able to kill his people for peaceful protesting.... Not exactly a great cause to fight for once hes gone. I imagine most of the army would say gently caress it and defect.

In most other wars theres usually enough people in command where killing one doesnt pretty much end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

sweeptheleg posted:

In most other wars theres usually enough people in command where killing one doesnt pretty much end it.
In most other wars, it isn't Libya.

Libya's governmental system, the Jamahiriya, was set up by Ghadaffi specifically so that there is no challenger to power. All federal power comes directly from him, and he has no designated successors and no one directly in line behind him. He is technically in charge of every aspect of government, while professing to have no power (because there is literally no government beyond some tribal and muncipal agencies that have no actual sway in how things are run outside their tiny areas of influence, and the national government which is supposed to be "independant" and just "taking suggestions" from the ETERNAL LEADER OF THE REVOLUTION). Any tribal/municipal decision can be vetoed by the presidency with no appeal. There aren't even any generals in the Army, technically.

For all intents and purposes, Ghadaffi is the Libyan government.

• Locked thread