Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Air strikes will supposedly only start after the emergency summit in Paris tomorrow to coordinate action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

pylb posted:

France said they didn't want a NATO intervention.
We have reports of pro-Kadhafi troops bombing cities, but we also have declarations from Kadhafi's goverment declaring a cease-fire. The West can't afford to attack Kadhafi's forces if they have indeed stopped their attack (and if they haven't, we need reliable proof to be legally covered).

Reliable proof, nothing, the Pro-Gaffadi forces were initiating a mass bombardment of one of the cities (a completely indiscriminate bombardment no less) at the exact same time the supposed 'cease-fire' was called.

Obviously, calling for a cease-fire was just a terrible stalling tactic that didn't work. I think the loyalists know just how screwed they are, but are desperately looking for a way out.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Xandu posted:

Air strikes will supposedly only start after the emergency summit in Paris tomorrow to coordinate action.

This calls for immediate discussion!

edit: gently caress it. I am giving into my desire to watch Life of Brian for the 'ntieth time tonight. Perhaps by tomorrow this will all move on past sabre rattling.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 19, 2011

Thunderstorm
Jul 7, 2002
Shtoopid Noobie?

pylb posted:

France said they didn't want a NATO intervention.

Yeah, I know. I was just emphasizing that NATO is pretty much out of the picture during these critical moments. I don't agree with all the bashing of the rebel forces quality above, but I don't think they can hold out much longer. Gadaffi is most likely trying to end this quickly, and he is in a good position to do it.

pylb posted:

We have reports of pro-Kadhafi troops bombing cities, but we also have declarations from Kadhafi's goverment declaring a cease-fire. The West can't afford to attack Kadhafi's forces if they have indeed stopped their attack (and if they haven't, we need reliable proof to be legally covered).

I'm not a military expert, but in my understanding the NFZ easily sanctions operations in Libyan air space, and coalition forces shouldn't have too much trouble getting those air defenses out of the way necessary to get there for some intel. I'm not saying all information spread by the rebel side is correct, but imho they are trustworthy enough to take a look.

Narmi posted:

They're probably just ironing out the fine details, or waiting for confirmation from their won sources (maybe the AWACS?) that Gaddafi is actually attacking civilians.

e: Besides, even if something did happen, neither side would rush to announce it until they double-checked everything, then sent it through their PR department.

I wish you are right, but with all the sources available to us and peoples willingness to blow up even the tiniest indication, it seems unlikely anything will go completely unnoticed. Planes have to take off somewhere, and right now except for some VIP transports nothing unusual seems to be happening.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Thunderstorm posted:

I'm not a military expert, but in my understanding the NFZ easily sanctions operations in Libyan air space, and coalition forces shouldn't have too much trouble getting those air defenses out of the way necessary to get there for some intel.

I'm pretty sure there's been various intelligence gathering overflights of Libya already, even before the UN resolution. That kind of stuff goes on unsaid.

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008

Ogive posted:

Dammit, this empties out the hope and :canada: pride I had from:

Just in from http://twitter.com/fmcnl:

quote:

Arrived at Prestwick Intl UK #EGPK Canadian Air Force CFC 3815, CFC3816 both CC-150, 7x Hornets CF-18, 1 P3 and 1 C-17 #Libya
There may yet be time for :canada:!

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009
Imagine if Canada saves the day........????

killing_fields
Jan 31, 2009

killing_fields posted:

Their one sub pops up out of nowhere, right in front of Tripoli. Slowly, a mighty red maple leaf expands over the bow.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

killing_fields posted:

Sarkozy would be super pissed at Canada for stealing his thunder.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

killing_fields posted:

Their one sub pops up out of nowhere, right in front of Tripoli. Slowly, a mighty red maple leaf expands over the bow.

They open the hatch to let the deadly smoke out while a Hornet falls apart and crashes on it would be the most likely scenario.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
US isn't going to lead the attacks, so is France AF up to the task? Britain seems to be, but I haven't seen anything offensive out of France, Canada, or the Dutch in quite a bit. I'm just wondering if they can actually be effective to stop this crap.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Darth123123 posted:

US isn't going to lead the attacks, so is France AF up to the task? Britain seems to be, but I haven't seen anything offensive out of France, Canada, or the Dutch in quite a bit. I'm just wondering if they can actually be effective to stop this crap.

France has the Rafale, which is a very nice aircraft. They're also the fourth-largest air force in NATO.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Darth123123 posted:

Is there an update on said crap? Shelling still happening?
Everyone staring at each other, wondering what the next move is?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Darth123123 posted:

Despite all the "lol surrender" jokes France's military is no slouch.

I wonder if the problem right now is setting up a unified command structure with the nations who are looking to get in on this. As much as I'd rather someone else take the helm on this I can't help but think the US could have been pushing Khadaffi's poo poo in by now.

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

IRQ posted:

Despite all the "lol surrender" jokes France's military is no slouch.

I wonder if the problem right now is setting up a unified command structure with the nations who are looking to get in on this. As much as I'd rather someone else take the helm on this I can't help but think the US could have been pushing Khadaffi's poo poo in by now.

Because you know the US is great at invading middle eastern countries to depose their governments, right? I think Gaddafi isn't crazy enough that it'll take foreign military intervention to bring him down, and hopefully he'll back down with the guns of so many nations trained on him. But everybody has seen how crazy Gaddafi can get, so who knows.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Directory of videos from this weeks protests in Syria.

http://www.kafasamtan.org/news/

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax
AJE just did a piece on unrest in Syria. I suppose I know the answer before I ask, but is it possible Syria could flip?

UN threatening an arrest warrant on Ghadaffi. GO GO GO!

EDIT: And France threatening armed action within hours!

I must be dreaming.

Ogive fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 19, 2011

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, I'm supposed to deploy soon. I'm worried about going... oh well.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax
As far as media reliability goes, here's a good one:

Note where the headline is about and then note the flag in the background.

Thanks, CBC!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ogive fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 19, 2011

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blackbird Fly posted:

Because you know the US is great at invading middle eastern countries to depose their governments, right? I think Gaddafi isn't crazy enough that it'll take foreign military intervention to bring him down, and hopefully he'll back down with the guns of so many nations trained on him. But everybody has seen how crazy Gaddafi can get, so who knows.

Actually, the US seems to be fantastic in invading countries to topple governments. As far as what happens afterwards....not so much.

As far as a unified command structure, the Afghanistan war has been good at forging that. But my ideal situation is that the US doesn't really do anything except maybe supply and reconaissance, and everyone else (primarily Arab countries) take the lead. And of course, that the threat of international action ends up siphoning enough support from Ghaddafi to topple him. I can only hope.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tetsul posted:

They open the hatch to let the deadly smoke out while a Hornet falls apart and crashes on it would be the most likely scenario.

At least we now have leased C17s so we don't have to literally mooch a ride off the Americans to fulfill our NATO and UN obligations.

I'm a huge leftist but even I'm ashamed at how poorly equipped our military is :(

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

We also rent tanks from Germany; It's like "Do you guys have an Army?" "No, but we've got friends with armies!"

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Aw man, that's a shame that they demolished the monument in Pearl Roundabout. I've seen all these pictures of it, but I hadn't even had a chance to see it while I'm here in Bahrain.

That's so dumb. Why would they tear down the whole roundabout, just because some protesters were there for a few weeks? Do they think that destroying the monument will just wipe the event from everybody's memory? What the heck. And the cover story of "Oh, it's to improve the flow of traffic." Yeah, now's the perfect time for redesigning intersections. Nothing else to worry about at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blackbird Fly posted:

Oh we're awesome at bombing the everloving poo poo out of things unilaterally, it's the nation building we suck at!

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Voting on the amendments started an hour ago. #Dostor2011 hashtag.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Are you planning to vote yes? Looks to be a very close vote.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Xandu posted:

Are you planning to vote yes? Looks to be a very close vote.

Voting No of course.

EDIT: This vote is the first real show of strengths between islamists and liberals if you're willing to generalize, pretty much everyone falls into either of these camps with some exceptions (such as the NDP siding with the MB and Islamists and supporting "yes"

Ham fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 19, 2011

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
BBC reporting a plane has just been shot down near Benghazi. A BBC reporter saw it with his own eyes.

Odds are then the no fly zone is starting to be enforced.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm listening to this feed http://www.livestream.com/libya17feb supposedly live out of Benghazi with a guy helping direct fire. No video, but there is constant crazy amounts of gunfire.

Edit: Just completely cut out as I posted this. :ohdear:

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.

XK posted:

I'm listening to this feed http://www.livestream.com/libya17feb supposedly live out of Benghazi with a guy helping direct fire. No video, but there is constant crazy amounts of gunfire.

Edit: Just completely cut out as I posted this. :ohdear:

It seems to be up, although now it is a pretty cool guy walking around Benghazi showing some of the damage.

It always surprises me that the rest of the world looks just like where I live, in the U.K. The B.B.C. never shows that.

This stream is worth keeping an eye on.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
It looks like things are going crazy in Benghazi at the moment. The images of the plane going down and the fighting as Ghaddafi's forces try and rush the city are spectacular.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Photo of the plane shot down.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Xandu posted:

Photo of the plane shot down.

What kind of plane is that? It's Gaddafi's, right?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
From the March 19 AJ Live Blog:

Gaddafi posted:

"This is blatant colonialism. It does not have any justification. This will have serious consequences on the Mediterranean and on Europe."

"In 2011 they are colonising us, massacring us, and imposing one no-fly zone after the other and one military attack after another. What is this racism? What is this hatred?"

He so crazy. :allears:

Part of me really wants to splice together the highlights from his video rantings to make one giant clip of insanity.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That plane is remarkably in tact for being shot down.

Are we sure it didn't just burst into flame from being 40 years old and ridiculously ill-maintained?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What's taking everyone so long?

edit: Mig 23?

Fapitalism
Apr 12, 2003
When Capitalism fails, you will always have Fapitalism.

Finlander posted:

BBC journalist that saw it crashed says that when the plane crashed there were celebratory gunshots, so he assumes it is one of Gaddafi's but there is no official word yet.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just woke up and turned on sky news, that video of the plane being shot down will be iconic. I love that you can hear the cheers and the car horns.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Finlander posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I think it's either a Mig 23 or a SU 22.

There's actual video of it being hit and going down. AJE thinks it was taken out by ground fire, which seems likely.

• Locked thread