Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Smug Guy posted:

I don't care where you are in terms of "selling season".
Wait.
Please wait. Please.

MSF completely changed my opinion on what kind of bike I wanted and was comfortable with.

Howso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Howso?

A little experience on a bike goes a long way. Unless, of course, you've already ridden some bikes and have a good idea of what you want.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Z3n posted:

A little experience on a bike goes a long way. Unless, of course, you've already ridden some bikes and have a good idea of what you want.

Do you try stuff on a bunch of different bikes at MSF? I always just assumed they bought a big stock of the same model for beginners to use.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Usually they'll have a selection if bikes and if you ask nicely they'll let you pick the one closest to what you're thinking about buying.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

makka-setan posted:

Crap! The Hornet was sold just a couple of hours after I went to see it. But there will be others.

Doh!

Pity, that was a good colour.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sorry to keep posting bikes, but this just pops up.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2270059795.html

Looks to be in good shape and just got new tires and a new battery. Also it looks like it's running. If I was ready to drop $1300 for that other bike I posted, which I most likely would have had to buy new tires for, this seems like a pretty good deal.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I talked to my friend and he said it's just been sitting in his new garage. It will likely need a new battery. His email is everrpa at gmail, you can decide if you like it or not. FWIW I am sure he will let it go for cheap, he just wants rid of it.

I should note that it has a salvage title but not to be afraid of it - in fact that's how I bought it so cheap in the first place. It was bulletproof when I owned it, and you can tag it in Nebraska. Figure you might as well check it out. :)

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 17, 2011

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Synonamess Botch posted:

I talked to my friend and he said it's just been sitting in his new garage. It will likely need a new battery. His email is everrpa at gmail, you can decide if you like it or not. FWIW I am sure he will let it go for cheap, he just wants rid of it.

I should note that it has a salvage title but not to be afraid of it - in fact that's how I bought it so cheap in the first place. It was bulletproof when I owned it, and you can tag it in Nebraska. Figure you might as well check it out. :)

Thank you! I'll shoot him an e-mail today.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Does the EVO have any actual changes over current 1100 apart from the Diavel-esque exhaust?

A couple of hp, and all the electronics (abs, tc, etc) are standard now. I think all the 2011s are wet clutches too.

That's one of the reasons I really like the older S2R I'm looking at, I really love the dry clutch.

Edit: Bought the 2007 S2R 1000 for a song. Really drat happy, thanks for the advice!

A Duck! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 18, 2011

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Well gently caress me. The guy with the Ninja 500 dropped off the face of the earth and the GS500e guy was worse.

He jacked up his price $300 before I saw the bike and wouldn't lower it at all. :suicide:

Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and raise my budget to $3K? It seems like if it just has a clean title; it's worth $2K and if it runs; another grand.

I don't want to spend more money to ruin a nice bike, but, if I want a bike by winter, this looks like my only choice.

What the gently caress Illinois?

Commodore 64 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 19, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What are you looking for, just a midweight starter bike for cheap? In my area (N Texas) I can find those types of bikes all day long for well under 3k.

edit: For the Chicago area anyway there are plenty of good options under 2.5k. Here are some random ones

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/2267039821.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/2264308901.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/2262037903.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/2267063400.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/2270369014.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=&srchType=A&minAsk=2000&maxAsk=2500&hasPic=1

here's an 07 Ninja500 for $2500 with a "Must sell" so you could haggle him down probably
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/2269874529.html

another Ninja 500
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/2265962940.html

Another older one with dumb mods
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/mcy/2259648095.html

hayden. fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 19, 2011

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
Just a starter bike that was made in the last 20-25 years that isn't a wreck/collection of rust and parts.
That's why I'm hesitant to buy anything made in the 70's/early 80's; although the GS750 looks nice.

That's why I've been looking at Ninja 250/500's and GS500's.

The 250 got taken down (I'll keep an eye out) and the guy with 500 in DeKalb won't return my emails. The dumb mods one is an 89 and screams basket case.

Thanks for the links though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Keep looking out. I'm in saint Louis, but some western Illinois stuff shows up all the time. There's a place in ofallon il, I think called elli cycles or something that was advertising a kawi sale. 2009 new ninja 250/500, sherpas, klx250sf all for 3k plus fees.

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua
Bought a 2011 Triumph Street Triple R 3 days ago!!!! So loving excited, hopefully I'll have some good pics soon.

:D

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

I hate how god drat rare Suzuki GSF400s (Bandits) are.

I only see 1 for sale every few months.

There are scads of newer, bigger, heavier, and more powerful GSF600 asking for cheaper prices. :( I'd have to convert it to being naked to since Canada didn't get naked Bandits other than the 400CC ones.

GSF600N:

GSF400:

I'm starting to think I'm crazy for wanting the 400 and should just start looking at 600s.

Too bad it looks like you're in Canada, I've got a '92 400 that I'm thinking about selling soon.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Where are you by chance? Those 400 are so sexy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, I got to the Honda dealer in a neighboring city to pick up a couple parts I ordered for the ST1100 and on my way in to the parts counter I walk by something I've never seen before. Turns out they're not just a Honda dealer.

In front me, incredibly strategically placed is a brand new 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge. Grey-ish in color and looks like one classy beast IMHO.

I find myself actually considering it.

Can someone here put me back in my senses and tell me how crazy an idea it is please?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's an awesome idea and you should buy it right now. Guzzi's are so cool.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

slidebite posted:

So, I got to the Honda dealer in a neighboring city to pick up a couple parts I ordered for the ST1100 and on my way in to the parts counter I walk by something I've never seen before. Turns out they're not just a Honda dealer.

In front me, incredibly strategically placed is a brand new 2009 Moto Guzzi Norge. Grey-ish in color and looks like one classy beast IMHO.

I find myself actually considering it.

Can someone here put me back in my senses and tell me how crazy an idea it is please?

Go read the Guzzi forums and see how unreliable new Guzzis are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

n8r posted:

Really? :ohdear:
That's a quick and easy way to rule one out then. As an ST owner, I'll likely never own another bike that needs anything other than routine maintenance. It's tough to go back.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Too bad it looks like you're in Canada, I've got a '92 400 that I'm thinking about selling soon.

You bastard.

Post some pictures. I really want to hear what people say about Bandits. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden a 400 and a 600. I want to know if the 600 is as heavier as it looks.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
~3k for an 05 SV650 with about 14k miles? Good or too much?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2246621698.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems like a fair deal...I'd want to bargain him down if he hasn't attended to everything, including valve adjustments.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

n8r posted:

No you see, there's no such thing as an "unreliable" Italian bike only Italian bikes with "character".

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

Where are you by chance? Those 400 are so sexy.

Seattle. A previous owner painted the tank, fairings, and wheels yellow and the frame silver, so its far from stock. Its also got a Yoshi exhaust so its pretty loud. I'll try to get some decent pics of soon once I get it completely reassembled.

Teaser pic:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Speaking of which, its been a bitch to keep it running the last few months. The latest problem was a dead (and I mean dead) battery. It had been only sitting for a couple of days since I'd ridden it and the battery was only reading 1V when I checked it. I could have left the "parking light" on but I turned the key to start it before I thought to check that, but other than that the battery itself might be defective or something. I'm hoping all that happened was I left that stupid light on and drained it, or else I'm going electric leak hunting soon.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

I want to know if the 600 is as heavier as it looks.

It is a relatively heavy bike, at least compared to the Honda CB500s and CB600Fs and Kawi ER-5s I rode in riding school.

I can't verify the numbers, but dry weight for the 600 is listed as 200kg, for the 400 it's a svelte 170kg. My 600 can be a bitch to push around, especially up even slight inclines.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Seattle.

Ugh I'm in Saint Louis so no dice. It would've made an awesome first bike though, I'll probably end shopping mid summer or maybe wait till fall. Gotta take care of some other big priorities at the moment :(

Unrelated: are there any stl area goons on CA?

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Seattle. A previous owner painted the tank, fairings, and wheels yellow and the frame silver, so its far from stock. Its also got a Yoshi exhaust so its pretty loud. I'll try to get some decent pics of soon once I get it completely reassembled.

Teaser pic:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Speaking of which, its been a bitch to keep it running the last few months. The latest problem was a dead (and I mean dead) battery. It had been only sitting for a couple of days since I'd ridden it and the battery was only reading 1V when I checked it. I could have left the "parking light" on but I turned the key to start it before I thought to check that, but other than that the battery itself might be defective or something. I'm hoping all that happened was I left that stupid light on and drained it, or else I'm going electric leak hunting soon.

How soon are looking to sell? I'm looking to get a starter bike in the next couple weeks, hopesully sooner that later :) I live / work in the Kent area

If that works with you send me an email- haschen118 at yahoo

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 21, 2011

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I've been looking at Honda Hornets partly because naked SVs are hard to find in Sweden. This one has been imported from Germany. Fairly low miles for an -03 and it looks clean. (31000 km ~ 20000 miles)

The mirrors has to go but other than that it has some nice mods. Slipon, fatbar and a clean tail section.

Worth a look?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blocket.se%2Fstockholm%2FSuzuki_SV_650_N_32521512.htm

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
Skipped the salvaged ninja I posted about last week. This one popped up, the dude is like a mile from me. Looks a little ragged on, but im not concerned about the cosmetics. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2278325291.html What do you guys think?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ethox posted:

Skipped the salvaged ninja I posted about last week. This one popped up, the dude is like a mile from me. Looks a little ragged on, but im not concerned about the cosmetics. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2278325291.html What do you guys think?

Check the consumables...tires, chain, sprockets. If I'd move on it would depend on mileage and if the valves were adjusted at the appropriate intervals or not. Still, seems like a good deal.

makka-setan posted:

I've been looking at Honda Hornets partly because naked SVs are hard to find in Sweden. This one has been imported from Germany. Fairly low miles for an -03 and it looks clean. (31000 km ~ 20000 miles)

The mirrors has to go but other than that it has some nice mods. Slipon, fatbar and a clean tail section.

Worth a look?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=sv&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.blocket.se%2Fstockholm%2FSuzuki_SV_650_N_32521512.htm

quote:

The bike is newly serviced and has suffered mini blinkers, leo profits slip-on, tail tidy, bar-end mirrors, and a power pack rolled 150 mil.

Suffered the mini blinkers indeed. I'd go look at it, although I don't know what's reasonable given your moon market.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
I'm checking it out Wednesday morning. The seller graduated with my sister, and I have spoken to him once in the past. I'm guessing I can talk him down a bit on the price, especially if it is in the need of tires or a new chain.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

You bastard.

Post some pictures. I really want to hear what people say about Bandits. I'd love to hear from someone who's ridden a 400 and a 600. I want to know if the 600 is as heavier as it looks.

I've been playing with the handlebar angles and haven't fixed the mirrors very well so they look a little goofy. I also don't have the tank bra on, and the area under where it should be is noticeably less faded than the rest of the paint. Other than that, there it is.

Dial M for MURDER I'll email you soon.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is the frame the original color?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It almost looks like the engine is suspended from the frame on the 400, where it's more cradled within the frame on the 600. Or is that just a trick of the eye?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

makka-setan posted:

Worth a look?

Looks nice - has the crucial aftermarket can. Also, fatbar-governance!

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
An '08 Ninja 250 showed up in my town, which is rare given all the Harley and dirt bikes. Sent him an email asking for pictures of the damage and he sent me these. Now is that kind of damage repairable? Something I could fix myself with some epoxy and make it look passable? The other pictures he sent look fine and the reason he's wanting to sell it was he's had the bike for only a couple days and dropped it and is afraid to use it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BradleyJamers posted:

An '08 Ninja 250 showed up in my town, which is rare given all the Harley and dirt bikes. Sent him an email asking for pictures of the damage and he sent me these. Now is that kind of damage repairable? Something I could fix myself with some epoxy and make it look passable? The other pictures he sent look fine and the reason he's wanting to sell it was he's had the bike for only a couple days and dropped it and is afraid to use it.

Move on that, that's a good deal and yes, that can be fixed pretty easily with some epoxy. It won't look 100% but it'll be more than good enough and you could always try and find a fairing on ebay to replace it.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Would something similar in size and power to Ninja 650 still be appropriate for a starter bike or is that pushing it? Would something a bit smaller like a GS500 definitely be a smarter pick? Like a lot of others I'm interested in getting as many years as possible out of a first bike before wanting something more, but I understand the need to be conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

Is the frame the original color?

I'm not sure actually. The yellow is definitely not original but I doubt that someone went to the trouble of painting the frame as neatly as its painted. I've found a few pictures of silver-framed ones through image search, but I can't say for certain.

Yes, the engine is hung from the frame and not cradled by it.