Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ace Oliveira posted:

Payback is a motherfucker.

I've not seen any new footage out of Libya since the No Fly Zone's gone into effect. Did the news teams on the ground just bug out before the NZF had gone into effect?

The BBC seem to be on a big delay. Whether that's an editorial or a fact checking thing, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
The Tomahawk strikes were launched about an hour after France started its air superiority flights and they landed around an hour and a half ago.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

goatface posted:

Currently this has the odd flavour of EU + Commonwealth + US coalition. Anyone know when the Arab league is expected to contribute? It all just seems a bit too friendly...

Reports of UAE planes on the bases in Italy, for what it's worth.

Smug Guy
Dec 14, 2010

by Ozma

farraday posted:

The troops pulling back from Misrata have been involved with shelling a city for several days now at the very least. gently caress them. If they want to live, leave the weapons behind.

If your designation of bad guys is how long they've been laying seige to something, boy do I have bad news about whatever faction you currently back.

What I'm saying is that cheering for mercenaries to drive trucks out into the desert and pray that they die of thirst to satiate your arm-chair bloodlust is entirely unnecessary and grotesque.

That's all I'm saying, and I'm done derailing this.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
This guy wants to know how Libya's air defense system relates to Iran's. Wtf?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Okay new drinking game: three shots for every time 'national technical means' are mentioned

edit poo poo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cjones posted:

It's not as good. But I don't see why that's relevant to the current situation.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
"Operation Odyssey Dawn"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xandu posted:

110 seems like a shitload, but I don't know much about cruise missiles.

More missiles = a bigger chance the target will be 100% killed dead, basically. If you can safely use multiple missiles on a target instead of one, generally you use as many as you can spare because overkill is better than underkill.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cjones posted:

It's such a dumb question anyway because there's really only a handful of countries that have the capability to stop a substantial air assault from the Western allies. Only one is in the mideast, and it isn't Iran. You'd figure with all the military analysts the news stations employ they would mention that once or twice, but nope.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Smug Guy posted:

If your designation of bad guys is how long they've been laying seige to something, boy do I have bad news about whatever faction you currently back.

What I'm saying is that cheering for mercenaries to drive trucks out into the desert and pray that they die of thirst to satiate your arm-chair bloodlust is entirely unnecessary and grotesque.

That's all I'm saying, and I'm done derailing this.

We're all very impressed with your pacifism.

The Arab states involved are sub rosa confirmed to be USE and Qatar by pentagon via AJE.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
Fox can't spin this against Obama.

Gaddafi is a crazy rear end in a top hat and everyone hates him.
The whole world is basically on board with this and actually helping this time.
Whatever happens this whole thing won't last more than 3 weeks.

This is nothing like any war in memory really. This is like the feel-good war of the year.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

breaklaw posted:

This is like the feel-good war of the year.

Thank you for this.

e: I'm still pretty sure it will be spun against Obama for "not being as aggressive" as France, etc.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 19, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

breaklaw posted:

I loving hope so, but we can't be sure of that.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

It's such a dumb question anyway because there's really only a handful of countries that have the capability to stop a substantial air assault from the Western allies. Only one is in the mideast, and it isn't Iran. You'd figure with all the military analysts the news stations employ they would mention that once or twice, but nope.

Doesn't Iran have a number pf S-300 Missiles from Russia? I forget.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
There is a Dijon Air Base in France, heh

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's reports that the communication network of Gaddafi's troop is being jammed as well. I also read that no US pilots will be flying over Libya, just drones and missiles.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
AJ news conference incoming.

or it might be. It seems a bit nobody-knows-what-is-going-on.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

breaklaw posted:

This is nothing like any war in memory really. This is like the feel-good war of the year.

It's still early though, we can fit one good one in over the summer I bet.

ChaosSamusX posted:

Doesn't Iran have a number pf S-300 Missiles from Russia? I forget.

We have more planes than they do missiles. There's varying levels of cost on a nation by nation basis, but almost all nations on Earth would be overrun in under a month by the forces laid out against Libya at the moment.

e- Besides, a lot of the Iranian missiles and the C&C support network would be flattened by missiles before the planes went in.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 19, 2011

Smug Guy
Dec 14, 2010

by Ozma
Well AJE, I know the press conference was supposed to happen an hour ago, but I'm guessing they may have had a few pants-making GBS threads changes in situation to account for during that time.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

VikingSkull posted:

It's still early though, we can fit one good one in over the summer I bet.

I always feel bad for the wars that just get shoved out into the battlefield to beat the Christmas Rush.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

There's reports that the communication network of Gaddafi's troop is being jammed as well. I also read that no US pilots will be flying over Libya, just drones and missiles.

That wouldn't be overly surprising. The US has most of its ranged air arm in action around Iraq and Afghanistan. The EU, the Commonwealth and the Arab Nations have most of their planes at home, and Libya is close enough to be a target for their home and ranged air forces.

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!

breaklaw posted:

Fox can't spin this against Obama.

Gaddafi is a crazy rear end in a top hat and everyone hates him.
The whole world is basically on board with this and actually helping this time.

Guy on BBC saying that if Gaddafi is going to leave it will be after the use of ground troops.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Cjones posted:

"Did you use the cool planes that jam radar?"

Whoa whoa, Tom Clancy. Nuff with the techno jargon, we're all just civilians here

Greyfox1625
Oct 21, 2010
that poor guy looks so confused.

Or not, he's just spouting poo poo now.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Jiminy Cricket posted:

Guy on BBC saying that if Gaddafi is going to leave it will be after the use of ground troops.

If Ghadaffi is going to leave, it'll be after his army dwindles away to nothing from desertion instead of volunteering to sit around being vapourized from the stratosphere.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

breaklaw posted:

Yeah it changes everything when the people of the country are the reason it's happening. This is like witnessing the birth of legitimate democracy in these places. It's pretty cool and nothing like the crazy proxy wars of superpower nations of the last century.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

breaklaw posted:

This is like the feel-good war of the year.

Not trying to be edgy but here's what the last feel good war looked like:
:nws:http://tinyurl.com/66gdhlt

Remember how many Libyan soldiers were killed because they refused to murder civilians, those left fighting might as well be doing it for fear of their own lives.

edit: I'm completely for this intervention but cheering for the death of these people is wrong.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 19, 2011

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tuff Ghost posted:

Whoa whoa, Tom Clancy. Nuff with the techno jargon, we're all just civilians here

Honestly I think he names all military hardware. The plane is called a "Growler".

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Is he still seriously talking about cease fire??

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm genuinely confused and curious: Isn't there supposed to be congressional approval for the US to take military action? Am I just being incredibly naive?

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

I can't even listen to this guy anymore. Our Civilians! Al-Qaeda! Our ceasefire!
e:OBSERVERS

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
ohoho libyan FM stating that "barbaric attacks have come after a cease fire and general amnesty for rebel forces had been called"

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Libyan government press conference going now.

They say they have been the victim of a 'barbaric attack' by western nations, and there has been 'serious harm' to civilians and buildings. The attacks have come during the ceasefire (hurr) and at a time when Libya has announced major reforms (what??).

They are claiming that a great number of civilian dead and wounded are filling up their hospitals and ambulances, no specific numbers though.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ehud posted:

I'm genuinely confused and curious: Isn't there supposed to be congressional approval for the US to take military action? Am I just being incredibly naive?
It's not a war - it's enforcing a UN resolution.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
It's the Iraqi information minister all over again.

I miss Bagdad Bob.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Libya press conf is currently saying that the "barbaric attacks against Libyan people have killed many civilians"

Hrmm, Its lovely how this regime lies in the face of everything. They claim cease fire while actively shelling positions.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Jiminy Cricket posted:

The rebels are the ground troops. Now they have some serious backup to help weaken counter attacks and to help clear a path for them. Plus the psychological effect on the mercs and the loyalists the haven't defected (yet). Gadaffi's done.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

CJSwiss posted:

According to MSNBC, the Pentagon's labeling this "Operation Odyssey Dawn".

The best thing I've heard is in the #dai-ichi chat where someone said it sounded like a Greek stripper name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ehud posted:

No, limited powers of war have been acceptable for decades now. Reagan never got approval to whack Libya the first time around.

If Obama sends a division in without going to Congress, then there's a problem. A few missiles and a radar plane isn't anything remarkable.

• Locked thread