Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Honestly I think he names all military hardware. The plane is called a "Growler".

F/A-18 A to F were already taken so it's the G model for SEAD missions + its the successor to the EA-6B Prowler = Growler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

One where the UN found its balls to actually do the right thing without the United States being the primary military force. It's nice to see.

Pretty much this. x 100000000

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Not trying to be edgy but here's what the last feel good war looked like:
:nws:http://tinyurl.com/66gdhlt

Remember how many Libyan soldiers were killed because they refused to murder civilians, those left fighting might as well be doing it for fear of their own lives.

edit: I'm completely for this intervention but cheering for the death of these people is wrong.

Wow. I've never seen that before. So it looks like he didn't die from an explosion, he was burned to death? :(

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

RunningOnEmpty posted:

It's the Iraqi information minister all over again.

I miss Bagdad Bob.
Whatever happened to him? He should have gotten his own show where he read the complete opposite of the daily news.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Koesj posted:

F/A-18 A to F were already taken so it's the G model for SEAD missions + its the successor to the EA-6B Prowler = Growler

Yeah, I know. Like 80% of GBS just had a stroke, though.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
I get a little misty eyed knowing that my country can be engaging in major military operations in 3 countries, numerous counter-terrorist operations, and a huge aide effort in Japan at the same time. America, gently caress yeah

:911:

Ehud posted:

I'm genuinely confused and curious: Isn't there supposed to be congressional approval for the US to take military action? Am I just being incredibly naive?

:cawg:

What century do you live in, man?

Greyfox1625
Oct 21, 2010
Someone's phone is ringing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I'm genuinely confused and curious: Isn't there supposed to be congressional approval for the US to take military action? Am I just being incredibly naive?

UN security council overrides a hell of a lot.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tuff Ghost posted:

:cawg:

What century do you live in, man?

I think the other goons (Slantedfloors and VikingSkull) explained this pretty well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

redreader posted:

Wow. I've never seen that before. So it looks like he didn't die from an explosion, he was burned to death? :(

From what I remember it was from a column of military traffic during the first Gulf War, dozens if not hundreds of vehicles destroyed by US aircraft.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AJE : We don't know whether to laugh or cry at what he's saying.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

BBC posted:

2055: Back to Libyan state TV, which reports that a French warplane has been shot down in the Njela district of Tripoli. It also says a hospital has been hit in the suburbs of Tripoli.

Let's hope it's only propaganda.

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!
I can't give you specifics, but rest assured they were civilian buildings.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Jiminy Cricket posted:

I can't give you specifics,

That's a shame.

black josh
Oct 5, 2008

I bet my finger monkey can beat up your finger monkey.
Lybia: "Only we get to kill our civilians!"

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
AJE: It's not clear if they're trying to insult our intelligence or if they're being forced to make these statements.

Hah.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If a French fighter has been shot down, they'll be pissed, and the French haven't extended their forces on any of the recent conflicts. France can easily take Libya in a straight fight.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

goatface posted:

UN security council overrides a hell of a lot.

Not US military powers. The authorization for this comes from the war powers resolution, which allows the President to engage forces for 60 days without authorization from Congress or a declaration of war. After that, Congress can authorize a 30 day extension, a full authorization of force (as was done for Iraq) or declare war. There are questions about the constitutionality of the war powers resolution, but it's unlikely to face a challenge.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
U.S. president can authorize the deployment of troops without Congressional assistance but only for I believe 60 days? Which by then if the conflict i still ongoing makes it difficult to pull out. I'm no pol sci major but even just one class would teach you that.

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.

Slantedfloors posted:

Whatever happened to him? He should have gotten his own show where he read the complete opposite of the daily news.

No idea. He would have been good on Harry Hill.

Jesus. This guy must have no idea what is actually happening out there. Even the AJ news-guy has no idea what to say about it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

It's pretty clear Al Qaeda's News Network is putting its own agenda to the front here

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Let's hope it's only propaganda.

Probably is. I'm willing to bet they're using the footage from the downed MIG-23 earlier today.

Aromatic Stretch
Nov 4, 2009
Not to be a pessimist, but I've heard a few people (on this website and in the news) say that this will be over relatively quickly. What makes people so sure? Is there anything drastically different here than there was when the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were starting that suggests this will go more smoothly?

Smug Guy
Dec 14, 2010

by Ozma

Brown Moses posted:

This is why AJE is "a good thing".

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Does France even have jets over Tripoli? I thought they were focussing on making rebel held areas safer first and letting the 110 death sticks do the softening of air defenses in other areas

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Not to be a pessimist, but I've heard a few people (on this website and in the news) say that this will be over relatively quickly. What makes people so sure? Is there anything drastically different here than there was when the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were starting that suggests this will go more smoothly?

I don't think it'll be over quickly, it'll just strip Gaddafi of his offensive capabilities, so it'll be up to the rebels (who will be provided with some nice gear) to finish off the job.

Tarnek
Nov 4, 2009

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Support by a large percentage of the population.

black josh
Oct 5, 2008

I bet my finger monkey can beat up your finger monkey.
Wait what? A Toyota with an Ack Ack gun in the back? Yeah this'll be quick.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Slave posted:

Does France even have jets over Tripoli? I thought they were focussing on making rebel held areas safer first and letting the 110 death sticks do the softening of air defenses in other areas

After they're done 'developing the battlespace' IE taking out all air defence assets you might see coalition planes over Tripoli.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

Aromatic Stretch posted:

1) Libya is weak as hell. What remains of their air force and AA will be toast by first light tomorrow.

2) There will be no NATO-ground forces involved. The Libyan National Transitional Council are perfectly capable.

avisgoth
May 7, 2003

"Are you OK, or are you just fat?"

Koesj posted:

It's pretty clear Al Qaeda's News Network is putting its own agenda to the front here

Please tell us more about AQ's news network. Pretty please.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

t3ch3 posted:

Not US military powers. The authorization for this comes from the war powers resolution, which allows the President to engage forces for 60 days without authorization from Congress or a declaration of war. After that, Congress can authorize a 30 day extension, a full authorization of force (as was done for Iraq) or declare war. There are questions about the constitutionality of the war powers resolution, but it's unlikely to face a challenge.

Just to expand on this in a different direction, but there's not a single thing about the US that the UN Security Council overrides. The US as a whole does what it wants.

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Libya is engaged in a civil war against elements of its own military, they don't control all of their territory, and their ground and air forces are both a full generation behind Iraq under Saddam Hussein. The US bitch slapped Gadhafi a full 25 years ago, and he basically has the exact same forces now.

Libya is not a threat, and there is no occupation planned.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2011

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Aromatic Stretch posted:

Neither Iraq nor Afghanistan were in an active state of uprising against their rulers when we stepped in, and in neither case was the UN asked by the Arab League and the nation's own people to step in.

Smug Guy
Dec 14, 2010

by Ozma

Aromatic Stretch posted:

First, the reasons for the difficulties and lengths of occupations in Iraq and Afghanistan are very, exceedingly, different.

Secondly, there aren't plans for any type of true occupational force at this point.

Finally, the situation amongst the people in Libya is nothing like either the populaces of either Afghanistan or Iraq in terms of their motivation.

I have my doubts that this will be a 1-3 week "thing", but I don't see this dragging out as massively and as asininely as Iraq/Afghanistan did for the US for coalition forces here.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

avisgoth posted:

Please tell us more about AQ's news network. Pretty please.

They rule, round the clock coverage with great insight. US new channels were doing inane blabber all afternoon but only decided to get involved when ARE MISSILES were launched.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
This isn't going to be relatively quick. This entire action is going to prolong the civil war for months. A lot of people are going to die as a result of that.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Not trying to be edgy but here's what the last feel good war looked like:
:nws:http://tinyurl.com/66gdhlt

Remember how many Libyan soldiers were killed because they refused to murder civilians, those left fighting might as well be doing it for fear of their own lives.

edit: I'm completely for this intervention but cheering for the death of these people is wrong.

No one is cheering for the death of people forced to fight. Hopefully it will be over quickly. We're cheering for the aspirations of the Lybian people. Cheering for justice to finally be brought to Gaddafi and his loving prick of a son.

Benghazi celebrates freedom

Look at how loving happy these people are. They are going to be that happy again once it's all over and they've won. It feels good to see all this destructive military power being used for something undeniably good for once.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Concerned Citizen posted:

This isn't going to be relatively quick. This entire action is going to prolong the civil war for months. A lot of people are going to die as a result of that.

As opposed to the quicker, more violent crushing of the rebels by Gadhafi and the purge that follows?

avisgoth
May 7, 2003

"Are you OK, or are you just fat?"

Koesj posted:

They rule, round the clock coverage with great insight. US new channels were doing inane blabber all afternoon but only decided to get involved when ARE MISSILES were launched.

My mistake. I mistook your comment for derision towards Al Jazeera. I completely agree with you that they rule, and wish I could watch them on my television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Where are you guys watching this, mostly? AJE? I've been watching MSNBC and it's been decent, but a lot of dumb EXPERT OPINIONS I could care less about.

• Locked thread