Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Wow! Thanks for the quick details. I've heard Gadaffi's pretty nutty, but I can't imagine he's gonna be able to last through the rest of March when most his nation and the U.N. is against him.

Vir posted:

"loving FINALLY" - but they're also eager to see the Arab league countries and Islamic countries taking a more central role in the near future.
As someone who's been really disappointed with Obama's pussyfooting around actually supporting any of these revolutions, this is really interesting move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stroh M.D. posted:

Obama explicitly stated that there will be no manned flights above Libya.

When? His statement earlier today only explicitly ruled out ground troops and the Pentagon briefer wouldn't comment on "future operations".

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

EatinCake posted:

Does anyone (who has better knowledge on Libya, better connections, or better websites) know how they feel about the U.S. actually joining their fight?

Initially they were against it, but after Gaddafi mobilized his forces they started asking for a NFZ, then bombing strategic targets. They were literally begging for western intervention two days ago, and didn't seem too particular where it came from.

From the BBC:

quote:

2315: Residents of the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi have welcomed the air and missile strikes by the UN-mandated international coalition. Iyad Ali told the Reuters news agency: "We think this will end Gaddafi's rule. Libyans will never forget France's stand with them. If it weren't for them, then Benghazi would have been overrun tonight." Khaled al-Ghurfali added: "We salute, France, Britain, the United States and the Arab countries for standing with Libya. But we think Gaddafi will take out his anger on civilians. So the West has to hit him hard."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Pentagon has said no US manned aircraft are operating over Libya at the moment, but they've haven't confirmed if it'll stay that way.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

EatinCake posted:

Wow! Thanks for the quick details. I've heard Gadaffi's pretty nutty, but I can't imagine he's gonna be able to last through the rest of March when most his nation and the U.N. is against him.

As someone who's been really disappointed with Obama's pussyfooting around actually supporting any of these revolutions, this is really interesting move.

Egypt, Tunisia, and Bahrain didn't push futures speculators to raise the price of gas by nearly a dollar per gallon.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.
AJ confirmed the arrival of Danish F-16 in Sicily and stated that they were scheduled for operation on Sunday, which I assume to mean tomorrow. Could be interesting.

Stroh M.D. fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 20, 2011

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well I hope this works out in the favor of the Libyans. I hope it's over with quickly and that the violence stops with Gaddafi's downfall. I don't know if that will actually happen, which is what worries me.

Gaddafi has proven that he's loving nuts and a genocidal maniac, though, so, even with the loss of life that's sure to occur (and has occured), I don't think it's a stretch to say that Gaddafi being in power would be worse.

Good luck, Libya. :ohdear:

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

t3ch3 posted:

When? His statement earlier today only explicitly ruled out ground troops and the Pentagon briefer wouldn't comment on "future operations".

Well dude fuckin loves drone strikes, so I imagine we'll see a big rise in those.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bad news, Libya no longer recongises the UN Resolution:

quote:

Libya's foreign ministry says it considers no longer valid UN Security Council resolution 1973, which called for a no-fly zone over Libya and demanded a ceasefire, the AFP news agency reports.
Guess that means the ceasefire is over!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zophar posted:

Egypt, Tunisia, and Bahrain didn't push futures speculators to raise the price of gas by nearly a dollar per gallon.

This is dumb: the best way for the price of gas and oil to recover would be a quick Gaddafi victory.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More details of targets hit tonight:

quote:

News is trickling in about the targets of tonight's attacks. Mohammed Ali, a spokesman for the exiled opposition group the Libyan Salvation Front, said the Libyan air force headquarters at the Mateiga air base in eastern Tripoli and the Aviation Academy in Misrata had both been targeted.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zophar posted:

To be fair, neither the Egyptian or Tunisian protesters asked for foreign aid (I don't think Bahrain did either but I'm not sure about that), while Libya did.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

evilweasel posted:

This is dumb: the best way for the price of gas and oil to recover would be a quick Gaddafi victory.

I never said it was a *smart* move.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From the airtraffic FMCNL account:

quote:

Currently 6 USAFE F-15E from 494FS Lakenheath UK entering French coast heading #Libya for Operation Odessy Dawn c/s PANTHER 69

quote:

3 USAF tankers joining up with the 6 USAFE F-15E Operation #Odyssey Dawn

quote:

Sorry, next USAF tanker just checking in, so it's 4 USAF tankers Operation #Odessy Dawn

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zophar posted:

I never said it was a *smart* move.

So your argument is what, exactly, let's lay out the causal chain you're thinking here.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

evilweasel posted:

So your argument is what, exactly, let's lay out the causal chain you're thinking here.

Obama has to do something to respond to people bitching about gas prices and simultaneously doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EatinCake posted:

Wait, so U.S. actually fired missiles at Lybia? Last I saw the Obama administration had just been sitting on the other side of the ocean giving the uprisings the thumbsup without any actual support. Not sure what to think about this development.

Does anyone (who has better knowledge on Libya, better connections, or better websites) know how they feel about the U.S. actually joining their fight?

I wouldn't necessarily say I have better knowledge of Libya than a lot of people posting here, but my feeling is of very heavy trepidation. The US bombing (and limiting to bombing, if the gods are with us) is the least worst choice out of an abysmal field of options. Do we let a democratic movement, one who has heroically sacrificed hundreds or perhaps thousands of people in the hope of a democratic society, get decimated and massacred by a despot that has single-handedly been a 30 year running spout for terrorism and civil wars? This seems to be the only sensible choice if we consider ourselves anywhere interested in the poo poo we talk about democracy, but so much can go wrong. And will go wrong. There are a billion unintended consequences (like for example rebels in a hundred different locales seeking to create civil wars in the hope of UN intervention) that are going to occur here.

Smug Guy
Dec 14, 2010

by Ozma

quote:

Khaled al-Ghurfali added: "We salute, France, Britain, the United States and the Arab countries for standing with Libya. But we think Gaddafi will take out his anger on civilians. So the West has to hit him hard."

This has me worried.

If this sentiment is echoed and the revolt is successful and fully backed with minimal casualties, that's one thing.

Another thing is taking that statement to justify excuses of extreme brutality by rebel forces if the country is taken by them and they are not fully backed to whatever extremes of Western power they may think they deserve.

In other words - "This purging wouldn't be necessary had "The West" hit them as hard as we had asked in the early hours of this revolution..."

This might be swinging deeply into lose-lose territory.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

t3ch3 posted:

Maybe I misheard him. In any case, no flights are planned and there is no reason for manned American flights after the bulk of the fighting is over.

They are probably just keeping their options clear if things somehow goes south.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wow, the Libyan rebels got an action movie hero to write their tweets.

Sounds like the BR.USS Willis is in the AO.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stroh M.D. posted:

In any case, no flights are planned and there is no reason for manned American flights after the bulk of the fighting is over.

You also have no evidence that this is the case. The Pentagon statement was that "phase one" of the operation consisted of the removal of the air defense network, which they'll assess when there's sunlight above Libya before starting the next phase of the operation and they won't comment on the details of that or whatever plans are in place. There's no reason to assume, based on anything Obama or the Pentagon said today that the US will not be involved in manned operations over Libya.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Stroh M.D. posted:

AJ confirmed the arrival of Danish F-16 in Sicily and stated that they were scheduled for operation on Sunday, which I assume to mean tomorrow. Could be interesting.

I expect Norwegian F-16s to be on station in Sicily on Tuesday. A Norwegian P-3 Orion marine surveillance plane, and C-130 transport planes may join.
I think these F-16 have been upgraded for modern ground attack capabilities as well as air interception.

Brown Moses posted:

If I remember correctly, last night the same guy was translating a statement saying the resolution would be abided by - while still protesting against it - and this morning saying the resolution was void.
And then there's the Zionist Al Qaida drug dealer stuff.
The PR strategy seems to be "Say anything. See if anything sticks."

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Hmm I'm running out of alcohol here and the gulf states aren't exactly overflowing with it so I'm calling it a night, gonna watch the local press tomorrow on whether or not there's some official sign of arab involvement.

edit yeah they got the AM and later MLU upgrades

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Guess that means the ceasefire is over!

It never existed in the first place. At the same time as Kadaffi held his speech about a cease-fire, his forces kept shelling Misrati and Benghazi. It was a ruse - and a bad one. Thank Twitter for that.

This is one of the reasons the French hit as quick as they did. Any legitimacy Kadaffi had went out the window with that lie - which is also, by the way, a war crime in its own right.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Man, the crazies (plants) are really starting to come out of the woodwork.

From the BBC comments:

quote:

2303: Sami in Tripoli tells BBC Radio 5 live that the attacks by Western powers show a level of arrogance: "The West have lost their minds. In the 1970s, Libya was supporting [people in other] countries who were freedom fighters. They called us terrorism supporters. Now the terrorism is in Libya, and they're supporting [people who they] call them freedom fighters."

quote:

2333: Amin Ibrahim, from Ireland, writes: "Feel gutted with what's happening in Libya. Parents are Libyan and support Gaddafi all the way. America and Europe have no right to interfere with what's happening in the country!!"

From AJE comments:

quote:

gaddafi defeated reagan already and he is defeating third generation of usa politics (obama)

quote:

@ True_African_Libya

"I want to know what is stopping the UN and the West from going on the ground and verifying all the claims as the Libyan government has been asking from the beginning of the conflict.

Have the rebels been also asking for verification? NO! All they been asking for is foreign mlitary intervention to save them ftom mlitray defeat and to aid them to militarily defeat Gaddafi!

What of a ceasefire? Gaddafi unilaterally decalred a cesefire for Sunday on wednesday or Thursday, unilaterally decalred a ceasefire yesterday and pledged to abide by a UN resolution it found 'unfair and illegal'. Which of the two parties want peace? Who attacked Ras Lanuf, Brega and Bin Jawad first? Who threatened to capture Sirte and Tripoli? Was Gaddafi supposed to just sit down in snd wait for the rebels to come and kill him in Tripoli?

I ask all of you, if you had an RPG and a person with a stick attacked you with the clear intent to kill you, will you say it's unfair to kill him with your RPG?

I doubt I can convince people with agenda but hopefully when all this in over and the Libyans are a controlled and exploited people, some of open-minded people will remember that there were people who stood up for truth and justice even if thery were a minority.

Oh and let me mention that even a criminal on death row has a right to a fair trial and is presumed innocent until proven guilty when new, unrelated charges are laid aganist him\her. He\She is not convicted without a trial or evidence. "
--------------------------
If you want know answer remember Iran1953 and you will know all! remember Iraq war and you will all also!
Remember that now more like 1 million people died in Iraq now (source from US, but i don't have mood and time to find out again now, because war mongers in blog will not like with source and not without also).
Maybe you found out that most of people here don't care about lives, only fake; they are so happy with every bomb or sort of war crimes is going on now.
Look into group "Europe against war - Europa gegen Krieg" and share there you opinions. You have there more people like here in blog already and these people like peace and want save our earth. You most log in into Facebook. We did still not write blogs and websites to find all with goggle.
Beside first from Africa is member.
Sincerely, S.

[ "You must be the change you wish to see in the world". ]

quote:

Benghazi will burn! No airstrike will stop Libya's true leader.

As an American, I believe in freedom, and the opposition isn't bringing it! They're just bringing their own destruction.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

t3ch3 posted:

You also have no evidence that this is the case. The Pentagon statement was that "phase one" of the operation consisted of the removal of the air defense network, which they'll assess when there's sunlight above Libya before starting the next phase of the operation and they won't comment on the details of that or whatever plans are in place. There's no reason to assume, based on anything Obama or the Pentagon said today that the US will not be involved in manned operations over Libya.

Of course this is all conjecture on my part, and I may be proven wrong, but at this stage it would surprise me. A number of nations are already ready to pick up the slack on phase two or three (whatever they may be) in enforcing the NFZ, and the US long-range air arm is stretched thin as it is in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sure, there's the Enterprise cozing out in the Mediterranean, but why fly pointless flights when you all but promised the American people not to?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stroh M.D. posted:

Of course this is all conjecture on my part, and I may be proven wrong, but at this stage it would surprise me. A number of nations are already ready to pick up the slack on phase two or three (whatever they may be) in enforcing the NFZ, and the US long-range air arm is stretched thin as it is in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sure, there's the Enterprise cozing out in the Mediterranean, but why fly pointless flights when you all but promised the American people not to?

So they can test out some outrageously expensive hardware in a live situation!

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/03/libya-may-give-the-f-22-its-first-wartime-test

quote:

Speaking at a Senate budget hearing yesterday, Gen. Norton Schwartz, the Air Force’s chief of staff, said that the first phase of a campaign against Moammar Gadhafi’s aircraft would attack Libyan radar sites. That’s just as airmen with no-fly experience predicted to Danger Room. Taking down the radar sites, which direct Libyan air defenses, will require the use of radar-evading stealth jets. Enter the F-22 Raptor, Norton said, according to The Hill’s John Bennett.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stroh M.D. posted:

It never existed in the first place. At the same time as Kadaffi held his speech about a cease-fire, his forces kept shelling Misrati and Benghazi. It was a ruse - and a bad one. Thank Twitter for that.

This is one of the reasons the French hit as quick as they did. Any legitimacy Kadaffi had went out the window with that lie - which is also, by the way, a war crime in its own right.

Any legitimacy that the lunatic had went out the window when started slaughtering his own people. The man is certifiable. The blame for all of this lies on his zombie head.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm going to bed in a second, so if anyone wants to see if evidence of the allged suicide attempt by Gaddafi appears you should keep an eye on this twitter account:
http://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

AJE comments posted:

I ask all of you, if you had an RPG and a person with a stick attacked you with the clear intent to kill you, will you say it's unfair to kill him with your RPG?

I want some of what this individual is smoking.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

t3ch3 posted:

So they can test out some outrageously expensive hardware in a live situation!

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/03/libya-may-give-the-f-22-its-first-wartime-test

To late for the F-22s now. It's an air superiority fighter and Libya hardly got an air force left. To be frank, the Norwegian and Danish F-16 AM/BM are better suited for what lies ahead.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Speaking of the F-22's, what type of squad gets those fighters? The best of the best?

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Any legitimacy that the lunatic had went out the window when started slaughtering his own people. The man is certifiable. The blame for all of this lies on his zombie head.

I agree, but it would have complicated things a bit if he actually had upheld that cease-fire. Thankfully, he wasn't that smart.

Thing is, by outright lying he disqualified himself as even a diplomatic contact. He's a war criminal now, a wanted man. He's not a world leader. He can't negotiate a surrender - unconditional is all that's left, and then it's off to the Hague to answer for his crimes.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

Speaking of the F-22's, what type of squad gets those fighters? The best of the best?

Details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22#Operators

All sorts of units actually, even the Air National Guard got a few. The F-22 was supposed to replace the F-15, much like the F-35 was supposed to replace the F-16.

The senate killed that plan in -09. But the distribution remained surprisingly even.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Stroh M.D. posted:

I agree, but it would have complicated things a bit if he actually had upheld that cease-fire. Thankfully, he wasn't that smart.

Thing is, by outright lying he disqualified himself as even a diplomatic contact. He's a war criminal now, a wanted man. He's not a world leader. He can't negotiate a surrender - unconditional is all that's left, and then it's off to the Hague to answer for his crimes.

I think the suicide rumor is pretty dumb, but I don't see Gaddafi being taken alive.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Xandu posted:

I think the suicide rumor is pretty dumb, but I don't see Gaddafi being taken alive.
When he goes he'll go out like Ceausescu, pretending to be in charge and on top of things until the very end.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Xandu posted:

Funny, I have him pinned as a coward. Unstable? Sure. Crazy? No doubt. Willing to fight to death? Not...really. Like Saddam he will try to run, then hide and finally negotiate his way out of this mess.

Something about dictators make them believe the world will treat them with silk gloves even after they're down and out. I think we will see a similar pattern here.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Stroh M.D. posted:

Details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-22#Operators

All sorts of units actually, even the Air National Guard got a few. The F-22 was supposed to replace the F-15, much like the F-35 was supposed to replace the F-16.

The senate killed that plan in -09. But the distribution remained surprisingly even.

That would be bad rear end to be in the air guard and fly an F22.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zophar posted:

Obama has to do something to respond to people bitching about gas prices and simultaneously doesn't want to be on the wrong side of history?

Gadhaffi is clearly unstable and is thus no longer a reliable ally. He was prized only for his ability to maintain order, and when that went, so did his value. No one is going to back a losing horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

That would be bad rear end to be in the air guard and fly an F22.

Assuming it didn't rain.

• Locked thread