Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Funk
Apr 22, 2008

My friend sent me this link from infowars about how "Obama Declares Unconstitutional War on Libya". I seem to remember from history class that the President is aloud to use armed forces however he pleases for up to 90 days without needing Congress's permission. The infowars article talks about the War Powers Resolution but says it became "irrelevant" after the Iraq War Resolution. Anyone have any insight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Liquid Funk posted:

My friend sent me this link from infowars about how "Obama Declares Unconstitutional War on Libya". I seem to remember from history class that the President is aloud to use armed forces however he pleases for up to 90 days without needing Congress's permission. The infowars article talks about the War Powers Resolution but says it became "irrelevant" after the Iraq War Resolution. Anyone have any insight?

Infowars posted:

The War Powers Resolution became totally irrelevant when Congress passed the Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution in 2002 following the false flag attack of September 11, 2011.

There's all the insight that you're going to need.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Liquid Funk posted:

Yeah, you are looking at infowars.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It seems odd to say it became irrelevant after one of the few wars Congress actually voted on.

Blackbird Fly
Mar 8, 2011

by toby

Nenonen posted:

There's all the insight that you're going to need.
Just look at some of the comments on this article:

Some Random Wacko posted:

Hmmm. Let’s See here:
Item 1:
ABC News:
Secretary Clinton in 2009: “I really consider President and Mrs. Mubarak to be friends of my family”

Indeed, some friend you are MaDame Clinton. It is a pretty safe bet that the Mubarak Family does not consider you their “Friend” Anymore. Way to Double Cross them. People: do you see the Back Stabbing Nature of the NWO Elite??? She has either Proven herself as a “Liar” or a “Backstabber” to the Mubarak Family or both. If she did it to them, she will do it to YOU.

Item 2:
Hillary Clinton Visits Egypt, Snubbed by Youth Activist Coalition

“As if to put our money where her mouth was, Clinton also pledged a towering amount of aid to the rebuilding of Egypt: $90 million in emergency economic aid and $60 million in an enterprise fund to help the country create jobs.”

Oh this is just great. You and your Husband help the NWO to Outsource most of the USA Jobs Overseas, and Now you are giving $ 60 Million in Tax Payer Money to Outsource even MORE Jobs to a Foreign Country? This is Pure Lunacy! You NWO Demons need to start using YOUR OWN Personal Funds instead of Stealing Taxpayer Money for Garbage like this. Come on Now. You NWO/CFR Thieves already have enough Black Money of Your Own. Get your hands out of the Tax Payer’s Pocket Book. We DO NOT APPROVE of this Garbage. First you fund the Muslim Brotherhood Up Rising with Tax Payer Money, and Now you are going to Steal More to Tax Payer Money to OUTSOURCE More Jobs to Egypt? Classic: Create the Problem (Fund the Uprising), Reaction (The Egyptian People Riot), Solution (Steal More Money from the Taxpayers to fund the Outsourcing of More Jobs to Egypt). If this is not an Impeachable Offense, than What is??? Bilderberg Cronies: President Teleprompter and Madame Clinton are just going to keep USING US until they are Impeached. Now, they are Bullying Libya with the use of Military Force under the Disguise of it being a NATO Operation. Completely Illegal!! They will just keep doing this over and over. They are Completely Out of Control!! Where are you Congress? Where are the Newly Elected Congressmen? How come you are Not Putting the Brakes on this Insanity?? You know that what they are doing is completely Unconstitutional.

Infowars is run by a wacko right-winger and obsesses over conspiracy theories. It is the last place I would look for reputable information.

Blackbird Fly fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 20, 2011

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Blackbird Fly posted:

Just look at some of the comments on this article:

This site is run by a wacko right-winger and obsesses over conspiracy theories. This is the last place I would look for reputable information.

Nevermind the complete lack of respect for the shift key.

Also, I thought NWO was a rap group.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nombres posted:

Jesus Christ, is the New of the World the Brit version of the Weekly World News or something? Who the hell would print that cover?

I guess In The Loop was right, you guys do like bad puns in your papers!

:britain: NOTW is terrible, I think we have the worst tabloids.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

March 20th Live Blogs
Guardian
BBC
LibyaFeb17
AJE

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Few interesting updates:
NFZ

quote:

Military commanders this morning will be starting to view satellite pictures to see how successful the attacks have been in knocking out Libya's air defences, according to Associated Press. It gives some idea of what sort of targets were attacked.

quote:

Hours after US and British ships pounded Libya with precision missiles, American officials are eager to confirm that the damage was extensive enough to allow air patrols to protect civilians being targeted by embattled strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

Military officials said that as Sunday dawned in Libya, satellites would give commanders a better view of the expected destruction along the country's coastline. US and British ships launched the first phase of the missile assault Saturday, raining 112 Tomahawk cruise missiles on to more than 20 radar systems, communications centers and surface-to-air missile sites.

Misarata

quote:

Sky News is reporting that pro-Gaddafi forces are still well and truly active around Misrata, the rebels' second stronghold after Benghazi.

Snipers are on rooftops and troops encircling the city despite the overnight attacks by European and US forces, according to Sky's sources.

quote:

Abdel, a doctor in the town of Misrata, Libya, about 200km east of Tripoli, tells BBC World television that Gaddafi loyalists have been moving the bodies of people killed in clashes between rebels and government forces to sites that have been bombed by the coalition to make it appear they have died in the strikes.

quote:

Abdul Karim, a doctor in Libya’s third city of Misrata, tells the BBC: “There has been strong firing from Gaddafi’s tanks from the western side of Misrata, in an area called Guseir. The firing started five hours ago. I can still hear the sounds of explosions. I was heading home when I heard the explosions, so now I have gone to a safer place.”

Tripoli

quote:

Al-Jazeera meanwhile is saying armed men have arrested the crew of an Italian ship in Tripoli port.

quote:

This just in: Armed men have detained the crew of an Italian ship in the Libyan capital's port, Italy's Ansa news agency reports. It says the ocean-going tug comprise eight Italians, two Indians and one Ukrainian.

Benghazi

quote:

A Reuters reporter reports seeing burned out military vehicles lining a strategic road to Benghazi following the Western air strikes. They said dozens of vehicles littered the route, some so charred it was difficult to identify them, but some looked like wrecked trucks with multiple rocket launchers.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Times posted:

It's always amazing to see just how infantile dictators are when push comes to shove. What you see him doing is the kind of shifting the blame away and lying about their accomplishments that children do as schoolyard bullies. Dictators are literally just overgrown manchildren who like to play dress-up. (Literally in Gaddafi's case with his cartoonish war uniforms.) They regress into infantilism because there's no one to check their power.

Do you remember how Gaddafi went all "oh I was going to pump money into Benghazi and make all the other cities jealous but I guess you guys don't want that."

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011
So, if Gaddafi is, in fact, using civilian corpses to make it seem like they died in the air strikes, how will the allied forces react? Will they just keep on doing their own thing, or what?

RunningOnEmpty
Nov 1, 2005
Because I work hard for the money...bitch.
CQ is on right now on AJE, I don't know if it is a repeat or not. Irs his responce to the airstrikes. He sounds just as mad as before.

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Its just the same old... Why are you attacking us; we will win because we are good people and god is with us; this country is chill. We will be victorious!

RunningOnEmpty fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 20, 2011

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Finlander posted:

So, if Gaddafi is, in fact, using civilian corpses to make it seem like they died in the air strikes, how will the allied forces react? Will they just keep on doing their own thing, or what?

Dead civilians don't stop allied attacks, nor do dead soldiers. They will continue until the loyal forces become guerrilla fighters.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Ghadaffi on Libyan state TV going on about how the US is going to get their rear end kicked like they do in every war

Ireland Sucks fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 20, 2011

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It really sounds like they Gaddafi forces in the East got the poo poo pounded out of them last night. I don't think Benghazi has anthing to worry about for the time being, now they just need to make sure Misarata is safe.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Slave posted:

Ghadaffi Libyan state TV going on about how the US is going to get their rear end kicked like they do in every war

"the US will lose badly in this war!"

*gets bombed by the French*

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gaddafi is now saying this is a war between the Libyan people and the "New Nazis".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brown Moses posted:

Gaddafi is now saying this is a war between the Libyan people and the "New Nazis".
Well, in a sense.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

He's godwinned the no fly zone already. Who's in charge of Libya? Gaddafi or Charlie Sheen?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Al-Qaeda Crusader Zionist Nazis.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

At this point i am surprised no one tried to lip sync one of his speech with one of Glen Beck's rant.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Brown Moses posted:

Al-Queda Crusader Imperialist Infidel Zionist Neo-Conservative Nazis, maybe.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Bit of info about last nights attack:

quote:

From a windy open field just outside Benghazi, our correspondent Chris McGreal, tells me that the power of the rockets launched by the French was significant and had ripped through tanks being used by Libyan forces which now stood burning.

He said military vehicles were "the principal advantage Gaddafi has over the rebels" and the attacks were likely to demoralise the Libyan forces.

The attack had been stealthy, coming with little warning.

"There was anger among the rebels that it took a good 24 hours for the attack to take place," he said "but there is now a sense the tide has turned."

It'll be interesting to see if the rebels start pushing toward Ras Lanuf and Sirte, and what resistance they'll face.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

They should have bombed the TV station. That's all.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

List of all the Yemeni officials that have resigned so far.

http://bigthink.com/ideas/31661 posted:

Resignations

Ministers

Hamud al-Hitar: Minister of Religious Endowments

Nabil Hassan al-Faqih: Minister of Tourism

Huda al-Ban: Minister of Human Rights

Members of Parliament

Abd al-Karim al-Salami

Abd al-Aziz al-Jubari

Abdu Muhammad Bashr

Abd al-Salam Salih Hishwal

Abd al-Karim Jadban

Khalid Majud al-Sa‘adi

Ahmad al-Azani

Abd al-Rahman Ali al-Ashabi

Abd al-Bari Daghish

Khalid Yahya Mu‘sar

Husayn al-Ahmar

Hashid al-Ahmar

Ali Ahmad al-'Imrani

Ambassadors

Faisal Amin Abu Ras: Ambassador to Lebanon

Others

Abd al-Jalil Hamud Abu Ghanim (former Governor of Ibb and former Commander in Armed Forces)

Nabil Muhammad Ali al-Khamari (prominent businessman)

Sam bin Yahya al-Ahmar (agent in the Ministry of Culture)

Muhammad Abd al-lahi al-Qadi – General Council of GPC

Abu Fadil al-Sa‘adhi – Deputy Agent in Minister of Local Administration

Muhammad bin Hasan al-Sharif – Director General of Hudaydah Airport, member of GPC

Shaykh Salih Muhammad al-Khadhiq - tribal shaykh

Kafah al-Ka‘abi– Deputy Director for student affairs at Hudaydah University

Jalal al-Faqirah: Former Minister of Agriculture

Khalid al-Ruwayshan: Former Minister of Culture

Abd al-Wahhab al-Rawhani: Former Minister of Culture

Nasir Taha Mustafa: Head of Yemen's Official Press Agency, Saba

Samir al-Yusifi Head of Board of Directors for Republican Corporation for Newspapers and broadcasting

Muhammad al-Qudsi: membership in permanent council for GPC

Abdullah al-Qubati: Head of executive committee for public works and scholarships

Muhamad Suwar: Sec. General council of deputy ministers

Faris Saqqaf: Head council of writers

Doctor Muhammad Qara'a: Member of Consultative Council

Doctor Husayn al-Junayd: official in Ministry of Water and Environment

Adal al-Yazidi: head of Min. of Human Rights Office

Ali Salih al-Taysir: official in Min. of Human Rights

Abd al-Rahman Bajas: Editor of official daily al-Thawra

Abd al-Malik al-Iryani: refused appointment to Consultative Council

Sari Muhammad al-Ujayli: judge

Muhammad Muhammad Qatran: judge

Ali Raja': Adviser Min. of Foreign Affairs

Ali Muhammad al-Huthi: Adviser to Gov. of Hudaydah

Nur Babad: Union of Writers

Shaykh Nasir al-Shahari:

Shaykh Faisal Ali Abdullah Mana'a: permanent council and Consultative Council

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Misarata

quote:

Libyan Youth Movement A member of Libya’s Transitional National Council in Misrata says that the city is being razed to the ground. “He is going all out on Misrata now”, he told the BBC.

quote:

An eyewitness in Misrata has told a BBC team that government tanks have rolled into the centre of the city. He described what he called a "massacre" with 40 civilians injured and at least 10 dead with civilian buildings coming under attack. The BBC cannot independently confirm the details.

quote:

The BBC has spoken to Mohamed, a spokesman for rebels in Misrata, who says the situation in the city is "really, really" dire. Shelling had resumed "in incredible fashion" for a third day after a brief pause when the international forces intervened, he said. "Misrata is being razed to the ground right now, we heard that the city centre is almost destroyed."

NFZ

quote:

Nineteen U.S. warplanes, including stealth bombers and fighter jets, conducted strike operations in Libya on Sunday morning.

The warplanes included Marine Corps Harrier Jets, Air Force B-2 stealth bombers, and F-15 and F-16 fighter jets, according to Lt. Cmdr. James Stockman of U.S. Africa Command.

It is the next phase in the operation that started Saturday with the launch of more than 110 Tomahawk Cruise missiles from U.S. and British warships and subs.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Couple of reports on Twitter of the rebels moving west out of Benghazi.

[edit]
Also some other news:

quote:

The US chief military officer Admiral Mike Mullen says US and allied forces have effectively established a no-fly zone over Libya.
Hopefully they can start attacking the forces outside of Misarata now.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 20, 2011

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Apparently US fast jets have hit ground forces too

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
AJE paraphrased: Judging by the fact that one of our reporters had a knife pulled on them and was not allowed to continue moving forward there are indeed still hardline Gaddafi supporters in the center of Benghazi.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The Washington Post reports that Western reconnaissance satellites are watching a "small garage" south of Sirte where it is believed the Gaddafi regime stores around 10 tonnes of mustard gas.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Rumor going around that Saudi tanks entered Yemen, although it's impossible to verify.

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008
I hate it when news sites post pictures without captions, or captions that don't describe where they came from/what they are of.

This just popped up on the BBC News website, does anyone know where it was taken/what its of?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

Simtex posted:

I hate it when news sites post pictures without captions, or captions that don't describe where they came from/what they are of.

From the BBC News website:

Looks like a gasoline explosion. Way to much fire to be a primary ordinance blast.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Simtex posted:

This just popped up on the BBC News website, does anyone know where it was taken/what its of?

Might be the jet that crashed inexplicably?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

The Libyan state news agency has announced that the government will distribute weapons to more than one million men and women within hours, Reuters reports.
Even if it's true I think a number of those would end up in the hands of people who don't support Gaddafi.

Krakened
Dec 8, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Might be the jet that crashed inexplicably?
Footage of fighter jet being shot down (presumably), pilot ejects safely.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe
This is amazing the loyalists are getting gangbanged from the air like its Desert storm. Of course this will all be moot if the rebels can't get their poo poo back together and go on the offensive.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Devian666 posted:

He's godwinned the no fly zone already. Who's in charge of Libya? Gaddafi or Charlie Sheen?

According to Colbert, they are pretty much one and the same.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Simtex posted:

Is that a tank in the bottom right? Could be from the same place this was taken

which is one of the tanks that got blown up yesterday, although apparently the French used rockets for that and as the above poster said there wouldn't be so much fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Slave posted:

Is that a tank in the bottom right? Could be from the same place this was taken

which is one of the tanks that got blown up yesterday, although apparently the French used rockets for that and as the above poster said there wouldn't be so much fire

AJ just sent a clip from a stricken convoy that seems to fit. 14 tanks, 20 APCs and several rocket carrying trucks were wiped out. The fiery plume could be a supply truck loaded with gasoline, or something similar.

• Locked thread