Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Narmi posted:

Ham, I know the MB said they weren't going to field a candidate for the presidency, and the I'd imagine the NDP likely won't be successful either (unless they run someone under a different group), so what does this mean for the two guys (ElBaradei and Moussa) who seem to be the two biggest contenders with a chance of winning the presidency? Does ElBaradei even have a party he can run under? From what I recall, Moussa was pro-NDP, so would he get support from them?

They don't need the position of the president if they control the parliament, and both Amr Moussa and Baradei aren't actually affiliated to any real parties. And no, there's no way an NDP candidate can take the presidency.

quote:

During the protests, they joined in pretty late in the game and kept their heads down. Also, everyone who was asked about them said they weren't worried about them making any power plays because they would get at most 10% of the vote. It seems odd that they're making a power grab all things considered.

You have to consider that there's Cairo, and then there's Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Stroh M.D. posted:

This may look off-topic, but it actually has some relevance for the Libyan conflict since people who sympathize with this movement has started to express clear opinions against the intervention. To them, it's simple: they don't deserve our help and it will only result in more refugees.

Wouldn't increased stability, more democratic representation and increased economic mobility in the immigrants' home country actually reduce the need for them to immigrate?

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

t3ch3 posted:

Still, it appears that the likely result of this "Yes" vote will be a new government with a large representation from the Muslim Brotherhood and it will be very interesting to see how the US and Israel react to that.

I'm more worried about how groups like Al Qaeda and their ilk react that the group that they have been denouncing for so long for having a hopeless peaceful plan to get power managed to do what they couldn't. I having a feeling their reaction won't be a change of heart on the use of violence.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
My guess is that Syria will be about as terrible as Iran. What's interesting is that Lebanon was the country which introduced the Security Council resolution for the no-fly zone and air strikes in Libya. I wonder how that's assessed in Damascus.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

tetsul posted:

I'm more worried about how groups like Al Qaeda and their ilk react that the group that they have been denouncing for so long for having a hopeless peaceful plan to get power managed to do what they couldn't. I having a feeling their reaction won't be a change of heart on the use of violence.

Zawahiri will probably throw a tantrum and Adam Gadahn will have to talk him down for a couple of hours, then they'll all have halal pudding cups in the nice hotel where ISI is keeping them.

Vir, that was before the March 14 government resigned or after? I cannot keep the timeline straight on this one.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

The eyes can mislead, a smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth.

Young Freud posted:

Wouldn't increased stability, more democratic representation and increased economic mobility in the immigrants' home country actually reduce the need for them to immigrate?

From what I gathered, said racist pricks don't believe democracy is an option. They think it will be a new Somalia due too tribal differences and that an oppressed nation under Gadaffi is preferable.

Oh, did I mention they really don't care if this means the massacre of hundreds of thousands of innocent Libyans? Or that the sentiment that we should just nuke them all for making a fuss has surfaced more times than I can count?

Stroh M.D. fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 20, 2011

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I'd say that conditions in Syria will remain mysterious unless and until they gain enough ground that foreign media feel comfortable getting in to rebel controlled areas as happened in Libya.

Otherwise we're likely to see the same sort of inconsistent internet leaks without any ability to judge how things are progressing,

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

QuentinCompson posted:

Vir, that was before the March 14 government resigned or after? I cannot keep the timeline straight on this one.

After, though March 8th (mainly Amal and Hezbollah in this case) are happy to see Gaddafi go.

DonT15
Oct 31, 2010

gulfnews.com posted:

Dara'a, Syria: Hundreds of protesters set alight to the courthouse, other buildings and cars in the southern Syrian town of Dara'a on Sunday during violent protests, an AFP correspondent said.

The violence came after at least one person was killed and more than 100 wounded, including two in critical condition, when security forces used live rounds against thousands of protesters on a third straight day of demonstrations in the city, rights activists said.

The protesters in Dara'a, where four other people were killed on Friday, according to rights groups, have been demanding an end to 48 years of emergency law, the release of political prisoners and freedoms.

An AFP correspondent in Dara'a said protesters also torched offices of mobile phone providers MTN and Syriatel, and tried to march on the home of the town's governor, but security forces used warning shots and tear gas to stop them.

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/syria/syria-protesters-set-fire-to-courthouse-1.780073

Sounds like it's getting nasty enough to me...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Daraa appears to be a regional governmental center, so it's important in that sese, but it is also tiny. I think you'd really need to see problems in major cities like Damascus, Alleppo, or Homs before upgrading this to major based on Syria's past ability to crush even large amounts of internal dissent.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

QuentinCompson posted:

It's actually after, so I guess even Hezbollah is against Gaddafi now. But Lebanon and Libya has had a bad relationship for a long time.

Stroh M.D. posted:

From what I gathered, said racist pricks don't believe democracy is an option. They think it will be a new Somalia due too tribal differences and that an oppressed nation under Gadaffi is preferable.
Quite ironic how some leftists join in that view that "Arabs aren't ready for democracy". Groan.

QuentinCompson
Mar 11, 2009

Vir posted:

It's actually after, so I guess even Hezbollah is against Gaddafi now. But Lebanon and Libya has had a bad relationship for a long time.

For some reason I thought the resolution we were was in regards to Syria. Head's all whacked. Guess that's not really a surprise, then.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
So erm, I've been away for a day or so, has Gaddafi surrendered?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

A Tartan Tory posted:

Airstrikes have bene ongoing.

Libya ha supped it's claim of civilian deaths to 64.

Libyan forces still engaged around and in Misrata.

Free Libyan militias are advancing from Benghazi.

Libyan Armed forces claim to be instituting a new cease fire as of 44 minutes ago.

International support and complaint continues to trickle in.

Ghaddaffi status: Still crazy.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

Nope. He claims to have issued a ceasefire, but... I wouldn't take that very seriously.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Interesting that Syria - which Hezbollah is supposed to be backed by - is against the no-fly zone and is afraid of the popular uprisings spreading to themselves. Seems Hezbollah hates Gaddafi more than they like the Syrian regime.

This could have implications for Iran as well, since Hezbollah and Syria are considered to be allies of the current regime in Iran. If they break away from each other, Ahmadinejad and co may no longer be able to depend on foreign "mercenaries" to help put down uprising in Iran.

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Vir posted:

Quite ironic how some leftists join in that view that "Arabs aren't ready for democracy". Groan.

If you go too far to the right and continue, you end up too far to the left. It's all a nice little circle.

There has been some hilarious unwilling cooperation between the populist Swedish Democrats (far right by Swedish standards, sorta) and the Left Party (called themselves the Communistic Left Party 'til the wall fell) in our parliament lately.

They hate each others guts so fierce it burns. But they can still vote in tandem against privatisation of a few government-owned companies. And although I haven't heard them voice their opinions about the intervention, I bet they will end up being more or less opposed to it.

The left because they loathe NATO and the US. The far-right because they are generally isolationist and the refugee-thing.

Stroh M.D. fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 20, 2011

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Stroh M.D. posted:

Nope. He claims to have issued a ceasefire, but... I wouldn't take that very seriously.

Well of course he claims but as he has been telling the rest of the world is he is not the leader of Libya. What armed forces or government can he command if they are all commanded by the people?

Which means that the real perpetrators of war crimes against the people, are the people themselves!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Vir posted:

Interesting that Syria - which Hezbollah is supposed to be backed by - is against the no-fly zone and is afraid of the popular uprisings spreading to themselves. Seems Hezbollah hates Gaddafi more than they like the Syrian regime.

This could have implications for Iran as well, since Hezbollah and Syria are considered to be allies of the current regime in Iran. If they break away from each other, Ahmadinejad and co may no longer be able to depend on foreign "mercenaries" to help put down uprising in Iran.

It's a complicated relationship. Syria and Iran are backers of Hezbollah, and supply it with weapons and money, but Hezbollah is still an independent political party, and it's capable making its own decisions. This is also a circumstance where they can play Iran and Syria off each other, since Iran has also backed the revolution against Gaddafi.

edit: the other thing is that Mikati still hasn't formed a government, so March 8th isn't really in power yet.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

According to Twitter the protesters have torched the Baath Party headquarters in Daraa. Twitter though, so take that as you will.

quote:

iyad_elbaghdadi Baath Party headquarters torched in Syrian city of Daraa. #Syria

Based on what I've been reading, al-Assad has been spinning the violence as an overreaction on the part of the local governor. They've also made a couple smaller concessions – freeing kids who put up pro-democracy graffiti, for example – so they seem like they're trying to head off any major flare-ups.

Then there's stuff like this:

quote:

Khatibmo Eyewitnesses say Deraa is no longer under the control of Syrian authorities, Please confirm. #syria

So who loving knows.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 20, 2011

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
It's ok, the Libyan air strikes will keep the attention away from the killings in Syria, Yemen and Bahrain, for the mean time.
Libya only got attention when there was no more news coming from Egypt, things had been brewing for a while before the media's full attention changed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Interesting post of the LibyaFeb17.com site, a USAF aircraft warning a Libyan vessel not to leave port:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/307814-usaf-ec-130j-steel-74-transmitting-on-6877-0-khz-libya-20-march-2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pentagon briefing on Libya happening now

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42182575#42182575

Stroh M.D.
Mar 19, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Interesting post of the LibyaFeb17.com site, a USAF aircraft warning a Libyan vessel not to leave port:
http://audioboo.fm/boos/307814-usaf-ec-130j-steel-74-transmitting-on-6877-0-khz-libya-20-march-2011

"If you attempt to leave, you will be destroyed immediately. For your own safety, do not attempt to leave port"

Is that the military version of "stop, or I'll shoot"?

Pretty intimidating anyhow. If I was on that boat, I'd take safety first and jump ship.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Xandu posted:

"We believe his forces are suffering from a great deal of stress, isolation and confusion"

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Xandu posted:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42182575#42182575

Really want to see those slides he's been referring to.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Slave posted:

"We believe his forces are suffering from a great deal of stress, isolation and confusion"

From what I've heard that's exactly what they want, they are trying to break their moral so they either join the rebels or flee. They want that to happen as quickly as possible as well.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

News from Misrata :

quote:

Three tanks have been destroyed in Misratah and one tank has been disabled by revolutionary youth. Currently there is one tank in the centre of the city which is moving between An Nasr Square and The Courthouse cluster. There are snipers positioned above buildings on the same street that the tank is in. There are many other tanks at the entrances of the city

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Stroh M.D. posted:

"If you attempt to leave, you will be destroyed immediately. For your own safety, do not attempt to leave port"

Is that the military version of "stop, or I'll shoot"?

Pretty intimidating anyhow. If I was on that boat, I'd take safety first and jump ship.

I wonder if the transmission is deliberately altered to sound more intimidating.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Man the pentagon press briefing is pretty hilarious from the aspect of desperately tap dancing around how much these airs trikes are to support the opposition vs protecting civilians. He finally gave up and just said he couldn't answer at this time.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They attacked an airbase near Misrata, think they completely wiped Libyan air defense and radar, 124 total tomahawk missiles, coalition forces (including navy and marines) bombed Libyan mechanized ground forces 10m south of Benghazi and seem to have succeeded in stopping movement of Gaddafi's ground forces, they are shifting to a "consistent air presence" over Libya.

Says they are not going after Gaddafi specifically.

Says they are not supporting the rebel forces (nor coordinating attacks with the rebel forces), but stopping advancement/attacks on civilian positions. Still seems like a potential for mission creep.

No indications of any civilian casualties.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Xandu posted:

Says they are not supporting the rebel forces (nor coordinating attacks with the rebel forces), but stopping advancement/attacks on civilian positions. Still seems like a potential for mission creep.

He actually did slip up at one point and say that they would bomb Gaddafi's forces if they were encroaching on the opposition.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Libyan army orders immediate cease-fire.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

farraday posted:

Man the pentagon press briefing is pretty hilarious from the aspect of desperately tap dancing around how much these airs trikes are to support the opposition vs protecting civilians. He finally gave up and just said he couldn't answer at this time.

He really needs to choose his wording better. When they asked why the units advancing towards Benghazi were targeted, he said ti was because they were advancing towards Benghazi. Should've just said they posed a credible threat to civilians and thus had to be taken out.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Ham posted:

Libyan army orders immediate cease-fire again.
fixed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Just said that they haven't decided (or rather, refuse to specify) whether or not they would stop attacking Gaddafi's forces if they stopped advancing.

It seems to me the US and allies haven't decided their end goal yet.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jut posted:

fixed

Is this like the third time?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I know for a fact the US have a plan A, and several plan B's they are considering depending on what happens next.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Xandu posted:

They attacked an airbase near Misrata, think they completely wiped Libyan air defense and radar, 124 total tomahawk missiles, coalition forces (including navy and marines) bombed Libyan mechanized ground forces 10m south of Benghazi and seem to have succeeded in stopping movement of Gaddafi's ground forces, they are shifting to a "consistent air presence" over Libya.

Says they are not going after Gaddafi specifically.

No indications of any civilian casualties.

Someone yesterday said that Al Jazeera, which had been blocked within the country, is now available (following the missile strikes). I never heard it confirmed. I'm hopeful that someone in the military is wise enough to understand the significance of information in this conflict, and deliberately targeted Qaddafi's jamming/scrambling hardware (whatever that might be - I know little about that stuff).

Has there been any confirmation regarding this? Was there any mention of it in the press conference? Does anyone have a source that backs up the idea that AJ had been blocked, or that it is presently accessible? I believe this to be far more significant to the pro-democracy efforts than people realize, and have seen next to nothing discussed about it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Ham posted:

Libyan army orders immediate cease-fire.
Ghadaffi knows that if he wants a cease-fire, he has to stop firing too, right? It's like he thinks it's like a game of freeze-tag or something.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 20, 2011

• Locked thread