Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I tried playing multiplayer last night and was continuously getting headshot in free roam by other players.

Not that I'm complaining, I got some good laughs out of my donkey riding greenhorn shouting obscenities at them by jamming on the greeting button at them and some of the poo poo he was saying to them... I'd just like to actually do something in there and seeing how long I can hold off the Mexican Army when no other players are around was getting boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK
To enjoy the multiplayer you really need to play it with friends (or goons, I guess) because otherwise you'll just get bored real quick. Like most Xbox live games about 95 percent of the people you will run into are morons that will only shoot at everything that moves while yelling in your ear with their high pitched voices.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Rascar posted:

To enjoy the multiplayer you really need to play it with friends (or goons, I guess) because otherwise you'll just get bored real quick. Like most Xbox live games about 95 percent of the people you will run into are morons that will only shoot at everything that moves while yelling in your ear with their high pitched voices.

Yeah, I guess I should have phrased my question better. I don't usually play online unless it's with friends, and none of them have this game, so I should have asked if any goons were still playing it or would be willing to. I know that playing with goons != playing with friends, but the few times I played with people from the forums I had a blast, and the fewer times I jumped on open online games... not so much.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Question about the ending I've been pondering (Obviously some major spoilers):
Has it ever been revealed exactly why Ross decided to come back and kill John? He seemed as eager to never bother with Marston again as much as he did every time they met, but was there some reason I missed, or does it boil down to Ross just being a dick who goes back on his word in the most extreme way possible?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm really aching for some RDR multiplayer and i'll be up for playing it whenever. My psn is emitwohS

We should set a night of the week as a "Red Dead Redemption Multiplayer Night". I think thurs at 9 or 10 PM Est would be good, but I can play whenever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Behonkiss posted:

Has it ever been revealed exactly why Ross decided to come back and kill John? He seemed as eager to never bother with Marston again as much as he did every time they met, but was there some reason I missed, or does it boil down to Ross just being a dick who goes back on his word in the most extreme way possible?

The way I see it it's like Dutch said before he died. I don't remember the exact phrasing, but it was something about how it'll never be over for John, because the government men need to keep doing something. They need to keep bringing bad men in. They need to seem like they're trying. Because they need to justify their paychecks. So, basically, Ross went after John not because John was still a threat, but because that's what law men do. They go after people who broke the law. For a time that was Dutch. Now it's John.

That's how I saw it at least. I could be full of it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Behonkiss posted:

It's more about the inevitability of encroaching civilization and the "law". There was no way Ross was actually ever going to let a thorn in his side like John survive, it's doubtful he ever even planned on it. He went through so much trouble to eradicate all the other members of John's gang, he had no real legal incentive to let John survive after what he'd already accomplished, especially as him getting to live his life probably reflected to Ross a failure of himself and the Bureau in civilizing the west and enforcing "justice". It's sort of a running theme of the game, that everyone gets what's coming to them. In John's case, there was never any real possibility he'd get to escape his past, he was always just buying time.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Behonkiss posted:

Dude was just a cocksucker.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ShowTime posted:

I'm really aching for some RDR multiplayer and i'll be up for playing it whenever. My psn is emitwohS

We should set a night of the week as a "Red Dead Redemption Multiplayer Night". I think thurs at 9 or 10 PM Est would be good, but I can play whenever.

I guess this goes for you and Edmond, but I'm on PSN and enjoy some RDR. I 100%'d the single player and Undead, and had lots of laughs playing multiplayer but I'm pretty much done with the game and you'll never just find me online and playing. But if you want to add me and see that I'm on psn and maybe playing Gran Turismo or rock band, just drop me a line because I can switch over to RDR. PSN: davebo

But if you do want to set a weekly time, know that we have awesome hilarious goon races every other week in GT5 on Thursdays at 10pm EST, so I'm busy then.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I had forgotten about the fact that Ross had the excuse of making John pay for his long ago crimes, as bullshit as it was. That and the cocksucker reasoning put together make sense.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

San Fransisco Cocksucka!

The one thing that RDR needed more of is Deadwood references. Although I'm still convinced the little butchers stand next to Herbert Moon's is supposed to be the one seen in Deadwood opening credits.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

ShowTime posted:

Can we organize one for the XBox too?

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Capn Beeb posted:

Don't forget it got him a medal!

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG

Saint Sputnik posted:

Can we organize one for the XBox too?

Down for this, gamertag sofresh0soclean.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
count me in, i still havent done the co-op missions gt pleasedontdoit

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

davebo posted:

I guess this goes for you and Edmond, but I'm on PSN and enjoy some RDR.
PSN: davebo

ShowTime posted:

Added you guys. I'm not getting the game until next week, but I'll let you know once I do.

My PSN is TioAxel if anyone wants to add me up.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

fennesz posted:

San Fransisco Cocksucka!

The one thing that RDR needed more of is Deadwood references. Although I'm still convinced the little butchers stand next to Herbert Moon's is supposed to be the one seen in Deadwood opening credits.

I swear I never heard the AI shout COCKSUCKER until after I watched Deadwood. There was also an update involved and I had a bounty on the back of my horse and he's all LET ME GO COCKSUCKER AND I DON'T KILL YOUR MOM.

Naturally once I got over the shock of THAT WORD, I let him off.

Then kinda slit his throat and threw some bait on him :shobon:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Down for this, gamertag sofresh0soclean.

OH WORD SON posted:

count me in, i still havent done the co-op missions gt pleasedontdoit

Added both of you (GT AudreyHeartburn). Dunno when will be best to schedule, but generally I play after midnight EST.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
"I declare this bid spot on!" is ingrained into my brain now.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I'm playing now, if anybody is down

gt: pleasedontdoit

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I am way late on playing this game and would appreciate some goon buddies to play with. Free roam is almost always annoying dudes shooting my horse and poo poo. Xbox GT is Gooch1911.
I have the undead dlc, are the other packs worth the money?

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Gooch181 posted:

I am way late on playing this game and would appreciate some goon buddies to play with. Free roam is almost always annoying dudes shooting my horse and poo poo. Xbox GT is Gooch1911.

I wish I could join you, but my friend took his Xbox back :smith:

Gooch181 posted:

The tomahawk! Wooooo :toot:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question on the single player mode- when I beat the game, will my unlocked costumes carry over into my next play-thru?

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Gooch181 posted:

I enjoyed the Liars and Cheats pack because of the multiplayer poker and liar's dice. I wish I hadn't wasted the money on the pack with all the Revolver characters.

I still fart around in free roam from time to time (xbox GT: Football Waffle)

melon cat posted:

A question on the single player mode- when I beat the game, will my unlocked costumes carry over into my next play-thru?

I don't think they do.

EDIT: I'll be playing for the next couple hours if anyone wants to join me

JohnnyPalace fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 20, 2011

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

melon cat posted:

They don't. New game starts a new file.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is this from free roam or something then?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pyruvate posted:

Is this from free roam or something then?

What the gently caress? That's the Marshal Outfit (end game spoiler) only obtainable with Jack, unless I'm mistaken. Was that available in a new game you just started or something?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

fennesz posted:

What the gently caress? That's the Marshal Outfit (end game spoiler) only obtainable with Jack, unless I'm mistaken. Was that available in a new game you just started or something?

Uhh yeah, you're not mistaken on that :raise: Maybe the last patch changed that? Can we finally get John as a mighty mountain man? :D

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

fennesz posted:

All the specialty costumes are "worn" by John in the promotional material to protect the ending.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah it's from the wiki I should have clarified.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've been without a 360 for about 18 months but just picked up a new one and I'm trying to get caught up on the best games of 2010. Do I want to:

1. Buy used RDR ($25) & pay $20/30 to buy the DLC from MS (possibly passing on the Legends & Killers pack)
2. Buy used RDR ($25) & pay $30 to buy the Undead Nightmare Collection disc with all 3 DLCs
3. Hold out for a rumored GOTY edition (no ETA on this or any guarantee that it's even coming out, or what the price might be)

I like the idea of having the DLC on-disc so that I can potentially trade/sell it, and I probably won't be playing very much multiplayer. Are there any downsides to having the DLC on-disc (disc swapping?) as opposed to downloading it?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 21, 2011

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Option #2 there seems to be the best bet.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If you've waited 18 months i'd say hold out if you can. A GOTY with all the DLC is definitely coming, it's just a matter of when. There was a recent RDR price drop to $30, which on a game like this generally signals a new release of some sort. They are going to try and sell off their back lot before a new edition is released and no one will buy the back lot. I'd expect a GOTY in May.

small change
Nov 11, 2006
I recently started playing this with friends and got a DLC collection on the Xbox marketplace for 1,600 points. Had Undead Nightmare and all the multiplayer stuff. I'm in Ireland though so maybe it's not available everywhere else.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
On Ross' motives, it's not just Ross at the end executing Marston, it's a whole shitload of lawmen. It's not Ross' call, specifically; it's simply what passes for justice at that particular time. At least that's how I took it.

My current favorite multiplayer point-grinding activity is to stake out on a roof in Rathskeller Fork and get the po-po after me. I then start racking up kill streaks (and points) as the clueless lawmen stream through the gate. When I run out of ammo I take a break while my WANTED banner fades, then go down and collect the weapons.

The best part is it's not task-based. You don't have to complete anything to get the points. Hell, I can even take cover, have lunch, and go right back to it. It doesn't matter if some other player kills me in my absence -- I still get the points.

bitey fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 22, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Sweet jesus the shotgun slugs in Undead Nightmare's co-op loving own. Why are they not anywhere else in the game :(

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

bitey posted:

On Ross' motives, it's not just Ross at the end executing Marston, it's a whole shitload of lawmen. It's not Ross' call, specifically; it's simply what passes for justice at that particular time. At least that's how I took it.

Nah gently caress that, Ross is simply a giant oval office of a fuckwit of a bastard

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Sweet jesus the shotgun slugs in Undead Nightmare's co-op loving own. Why are they not anywhere else in the game :(

Wait. What? There are shotgun slugs in UN co-op? Holy poo poo.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006

fennesz posted:

Wait. What? There are shotgun slugs in UN co-op? Holy poo poo.

They're a momentary upgrade during zombie horde waves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Playing right now if anyone wants to join in (GT AudreyHeartburn)

• Locked thread