Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

Chronojam posted:

I so will I die waiting if I ask you to either show that 50% 33% 25% are as bad as teabaggers, or to correct yourself?

Why don't we just say that extremists on both sides of the spectrum have stupid opinions on Libya so we can avoid this unnecessary political bickering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Namarrgon posted:

I think we can all wager a guess on what the content was. How important is Yemen in the oil/wealth/stability scale? Or in other words; any specific reason why the Saudis would care?

Yemen is the home turf of one of the most active groups in the al-Qaida network, Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. Given al-Qaida's Saudi origins and the hatred of its leadership for the House of Saud, I wouldn't be surprised if the message was something along the lines of "If I fall and al-Qaida takes over- which they will- remember that you had the chance to step in just like you did in Bahrain when suicide bombings are happening every day in Riyadh"

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

We could just not bring up what American crazies say to begin with, let's leave our coverage of America to what the government is actually doing regarding Africa and the Middle East, and what our news media is failing to do. Less about historical crap or politicking.

Thunderstorm
Jul 7, 2002
Shtoopid Noobie?
I wonder why nothing is done about Zintan and Misrata. It seems obvious that heavy weapons are being used against civilians there AND there seem to be plenty of targets conveniently positioned outside the city. :confused:

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

quote:

18:30 Al Jazeera The United Arab Emirates said on Monday that its involvement in Libya is limited to humanitarian assistance, after reports that it would send warplanes to patrol a UN-backed no-fly zone.

So I guess that leaves Qatar as the only Arab country that's helping militarily. Any idea whether this will undermine the western countries involved, politically speaking? I know that there is more than enough airpower to patrol Libya, but earlier everyone was making a big deal that there were gong to be Arab countries involved.

Simtex
Feb 15, 2008
A little more on that Russian situation from the New York Times:

quote:

In what a government news outlet called "a rare faceoff," Russian President Dmitri Medvedev defended the international military action in Libya on Monday, not long after his political mentor, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, told reporters that the United Nations resolution authorizing airstrikes, "reminds me of a medieval call for a crusade."

After Mr. Putin's remarks, in which he also said the U.N. resolution was "defective," were broadcast on Russian state television, Mr. Medvedev explained that his government had not used its veto in the Security Council, "for one reason: I do not consider this resolution to be wrong." He added: "Moreover, I believe that this resolution generally reflects our understanding of what is going on in Libya," RIA Novosti reported.

Interfax, Russia's official news agency, reported that Mr. Medvedev appeared to take issue with Mr. Putin's comparison of the international action in Libya to the crusades, telling reporters: "The use of expressions like 'crusades' and so on, which may actually lead to a clash of civilizations is unacceptable, is unacceptable. Otherwise, the end might be far worse than what is happening now."

According to Interfax, Mr. Medvedev also said that Russia would be willing to help mediate an end to the conflict in Libya, but suggested that this would not necessarily mean talking to Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi. "Qaddafi has said he holds no official posts. Judging from his actions, he is not is not the one to shake hands with," Mr. Medvedev told the news agency.

I would add the caveat that nothing in Russian politics is as it seems. There have been "faceoffs" before that some have speculated to be calculated moves to temper criticism. Nonetheless, :lol:

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

cioxx posted:

I'm sorry, but the far-left in America should never again attempt to speak about foreign affairs. Most of these people are just as bad as teabaggers.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/dennis-kucinich-calls-says-libya-attack-an-impeachable-offense-for-obama.php

Kucinich is 100% right in this case. He will be a national hero if he introduces it to the House chambers.

neamp
Jun 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

You know that the rebels have tanks, right? Also, the French nicely dropped off a bunch of surplus self-propelled artillery pieces and ammunition a couple days ago.

I haven't seen any tanks or much heavy equipment in any of the recent videos coming out. Most of the fighting seems to be done by armed civilians, their heaviest weapons being various guns mounted to pickups. Otherwise mostly guys with AK-47s using civilian cars for transport, a lot of them were not even armed at all.
Also employing great tactics like charging right into an artillery barrage, then turning around and fleeing after several of them get themselves killed.
Sure, they are not representative of all rebel forces, but these pictures and stories do not fill me with confidence.
The LNC military command really needs to reign those people in, but I don't think they have much control.

In other news, Zintan might be screwed, big attack expected but no bombings there so far from coalition planes. Guess they are afraid of sending them too far inland?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Simtex posted:

A little more on that Russian situation from the New York Times:

I would add the caveat that nothing in Russian politics is as it seems. There have been "faceoffs" before that some have speculated to be calculated moves to temper criticism. Nonetheless, :lol:

Seems more like a 'feeling out.' If this action ends up a quagmire, and the Arab world ends up feeling that this is just one more example of western imperialism and aggression against Muslims, they can point to the fact that they did not vote for it, were not involved in it, and offered exactly that criticism from the beginning. Which is to say, if this turns out to be a powder keg that sparks a larger regional (or global) conflict, Russia has not yet formally 'chosen' a side.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Simtex posted:

Seems more like they're setting up a situation where Russia can stay on the good side of whoever eventually wins.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Democrazy posted:

Actually, funny you mention that. The first constitutional referendum was just held today in Egypt, and new elections will be held soon. 77.2% eligible voter turnout!

Because the MB frightened 30 more percent into voting right before the turnout. That is what pissed me off. :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do kind of like the nice snide remark at Qaddafi in the end though.

quote:

Qaddafi has said he holds no official posts. Judging from his actions, he is not is not the one to shake hands with," Mr. Medvedev told the news agency.

Qaddafi is always saying he's just another guy, so Medvedev decided to follow that to its logical conclusion.

Thunderstorm
Jul 7, 2002
Shtoopid Noobie?

Slantedfloors posted:

Seems more like they're setting up a situation where Russia can stay on the good side of whoever eventually wins.

Yeah, either that or as someone said above just a tactical move to reduce that puppet image of Medvedev.

Putin is a pretty smart guy, he wouldn't use vocabulary like that by accident, and I'm certain he knows full well that it is bullshit. So since he is the #2 now it's likely that he is either keeping a door open towards Libya, just in case, or he's trying to pass some international credibility on to Medvedev.

What it's most assuredly not is his personal opinion uttered before thinking.

Sleepless Dreamer
Jun 5, 2008

it's my calling to tell nerd :roboluv:ers how to :roboluv: properly

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Qaddafi is always saying he's just another guy, so Medvedev decided to follow that to its logical conclusion.

I'm wondering if one of the generals is going "he says he,s just another citizen, and then to use citizens as human shields... I wonder if..." in his head.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Aaaand speaking of transponders...

quote:

"@USAfricaCommand be advised, one of your WEASEL's F-16CJ from 23th FS Spangdahlem Germany has his transponder Mode-S on! NOT secure!" -- @FMCNL
"Hmmm, second fighter showing his ID, a USAF F-15E from 494FS Lakenheath UK, I presume Gadhafis radar equipment has destroyed :o)" -- @FMCNL

It seems there's a little community tracking all sorts of stuff that's coming out of the EM spectrum. This was yesterday so it could be buried in the thread, but it's the first I've heard of it.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Shageletic posted:

Read a few posts upward. Tornado attack on Ghaddafi compound called off due to civilans and CNN reporter.

Glad it wasn't a Reuters reporter with a telephoto lens, the strike would have been carried out due to Ghaddaffi being sighted with an RPG.

IRQ posted:

The rebels asked for help and we have the means to provide it, so why shouldn't we?

It's really hard to compare this to other UN actions.

But don't you see, if America helps, bad things will happen! (as they weren't happening before we started helping) The French and the rest have the magic ammunition that doesn't hurt civilians.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Slantedfloors posted:

Please Answer:

You're in a desert, walking along in the sand. Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be by yourself. Who knows? While walking, you look down.

You look down and see a tortoise, Baddog. It's crawling toward you.

You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Baddog. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

You're not helping! Why is that, Baddog?

drat, Baddog is a real rear end in a top hat. Why does he hate tortoises so much? I'd like to put that tortoise back on his feet, but I am uncertain how that would be viewed by the international community.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Cartouche posted:

drat, Baddog is a real rear end in a top hat. Why does he hate tortoises so much? I'd like to put that tortoise back on his feet, but I am uncertain how that would be viewed by the international community.

I didn't flip the tortoise over to begin with, and if Billy wants the tortoise as a pet, he can go out and get it himself, I shouldn't have to bring it back for him.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

Cartouche posted:

Intervening with the turtle is nothing more than imperialists securing their place with the turtle community.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cartouche posted:

You would be viewed as being Anti-hare, and the hare community would likely band together and increase the price of carrot exports to your country.

Pedrophile posted:

Intervening with the turtle is nothing more than imperialists securing their place with the turtle community.

It shouldn't be America's place to flip a tortoise on its back and prop up a new tortoise in its stead.

Edit: Hair=/hare

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 21, 2011

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

You would be viewed as being Anti-hair, and the hair community would likely band together and increase the price of carrot exports to your country.

HOP viral marketing in this thread.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

cioxx posted:

I'm sorry, but the far-left in America should never again attempt to speak about foreign affairs. Most of these people are just as bad as teabaggers.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/dennis-kucinich-calls-says-libya-attack-an-impeachable-offense-for-obama.php

Aside from a tiny handful of idiots, the United States does not have a left. The only thing that Leftists are good for in this country is helping center-left Democratic candidates get elected. Aside from that, the American Left is a useless joke.

This is something that we should be grateful for.

I am far more concerned about Teabaggers than Leftists.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Freigeist posted:

armed civilians

This above is a big part of what makes this situation a big old poo poo sandwich. Just as bad as "human shields".

Baddog posted:

I didn't flip the tortoise over to begin with, and if Billy wants the tortoise as a pet, he can go out and get it himself, I shouldn't have to bring it back for him.

Yes you did. Slantedfloors said you did. Why are you attempting to backpedal?

Gravel Gravy posted:

You would be viewed as being Anti-hare, and the hare community would likely band together and increase the price of carrot exports to your country.

Should I help the hares? I mean, I didn't help the cottontails when they were being hunted down by poachers. I'd be a hypocrite if I gave thought to the hares.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 21, 2011

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

The Angry Bum posted:

Kucinich is 100% right in this case. He will be a national hero if he introduces it to the House chambers.

Kucinich is A 100% posturing. The War Powers Resolution states that a president must get Congressional approval within 60 days, which leaves 58 days for the President to get approval.

EDIT: For accuracy.

Democrazy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 21, 2011

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I do kind of like the nice snide remark at Qaddafi in the end though.

Who is this guy? Who let him in to the Running the Country Room?

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

It's not factually correct, it's not law, it's just rhetoric.

Hi. Welcome to politics. We keep the booze in the top left cabinet behind the water cooler.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Aside from a tiny handful of idiots, the United States does not have a left. The only thing that Leftists are good for in this country is helping center-left Democratic candidates get elected. Aside from that, the American Left is a useless joke.

This is something that we should be grateful for.

I am far more concerned about Teabaggers than Leftists.

Could you please not vomit this poo poo up in every political thread where leftism is even mentioned? You do it all the time and it has nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

Anyway,

Paradox Personified posted:

Because the MB frightened 30 more percent into voting right before the turnout. That is what pissed me off.

I missed this. What did they do to frighten voters again?

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Shitpost Gaze posted:

Could you please not vomit this poo poo up in every political thread where leftism is even mentioned? You do it all the time and it has nothing to do with the topic whatsoever.

I'm sorry, the man he was responding to believes in the political tooth fairy.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Shitpost Gaze posted:

I'm guessing they implied "Vote for us or you go to Hell"

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Democrazy posted:

Kucinich is A 100% posturing. The War Powers Resolution states that a president must get Congressional approval within 60 days, which leaves 58 days for the President to get approval.

EDIT: For accuracy.

The War Powers act itself is unconstitutional and the Supreme Court needs to abolish it NOW. And Obama himself specifically said he would NEVER use the act to commit to a military operation that was not any threat to the United States. He broke his own promise, and his words are as useless as Qaddafi's. Obama is currently breaking the law and the US Constitution and should pay for it with his job IMMEDIATELY.

Pew poll over the weekend said nearly 80% of Americans STRICTLY OPPOSE Obama sending in any part of our military to Libya. It was also a perfect trap set up by the Republicans. Call Obama out every day there is no immediate no-fly zone in effect and claim he is for genocide, then when the no-fly gets enforced, trash him for not following proper war time procedure, being slow and bill it as a huge colossal waste of taxpayer money. He loses either way, and the public is completely against him on this. Anti-war protests have been running since Friday and a major rally is being planned for later in the week in DC.

Also loving the Arab League ready to pull the 180 and bail out on this. Just to show how much of this war is complete Western farce.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

gently caress the politics of it. The rebels on the ground are getting some help. They are happy.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

The Angry Bum posted:

Pew poll over the weekend said nearly 80% of Americans STRICTLY OPPOSE Obama sending in any part of our military to Libya.

Source please?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The Angry Bum posted:

Pew poll over the weekend said nearly 80% of Americans STRICTLY OPPOSE Obama sending in any part of our military to Libya. It was also a perfect trap set up by the Republicans. Call Obama out every day there is no immediate no-fly zone in effect and claim he is for genocide, then when the no-fly gets enforced, trash him for not following proper war time procedure, being slow and bill it as a huge colossal waste of taxpayer money. He loses either way, and the public is completely against him on this. Anti-war protests have been running since Friday and a major rally is being planned for later in the week in DC.

So your argument is that the Republicans are using the civilian massacre in a petty point-scoring competition and that this is a 'perfect' situation and that a power used by them without question in the Iraq and Afghani Wars is now unconstitutional and wrong?

And what poll? Who was polled? What questions were asked?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

ibroxmassive posted:

Do you approve of are heroic soldiers dying for the drat dirty muslims in Lybia?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Freigeist posted:

I haven't seen any tanks or much heavy equipment in any of the recent videos coming out. Most of the fighting seems to be done by armed civilians, their heaviest weapons being various guns mounted to pickups. Otherwise mostly guys with AK-47s using civilian cars for transport, a lot of them were not even armed at all.
Also employing great tactics like charging right into an artillery barrage, then turning around and fleeing after several of them get themselves killed.
Sure, they are not representative of all rebel forces, but these pictures and stories do not fill me with confidence.
The LNC military command really needs to reign those people in, but I don't think they have much control.

In other news, Zintan might be screwed, big attack expected but no bombings there so far from coalition planes. Guess they are afraid of sending them too far inland?

They have tanks and other military vehicles, they even had a MiG until it got shot down. There's plenty of footage out there of this stuff, so I don't know what you've been watching. Plus, those guns mounted in pickup trucks aren't really guns....they are cannons. There's a small but noticeable difference.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

The Angry Bum posted:

Also loving the Arab League ready to pull the 180 and bail out on this. Just to show how much of this war is complete Western farce.

Yes, the West is a total farce, unlike a bunch of dictatorships that murder people like they don't matter if they so much as have a protest.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Pedrophile posted:

Source please?

ibroxmassive posted:

So your argument is that the Republicans are using the civilian massacre in a petty point-scoring competition and that this is a 'perfect' situation and that a power used by them without question in the Iraq and Afghani Wars is now unconstitutional and wrong?

http://people-press.org/report/715/

Take note of the results on the right that say "Public Split over No-Fly Zone". 77% oppose the bombing of Libyan defenses, 82% oppose sending in ground troops. 63% against the US having ANY involvement.

edit: I was completely against the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq when they were unfolding. The powers they used during the Bush admin were unconstitutional as well. Just because other people got away with it in the past doesn't mean we have to continue ignoring the blatant disrespect to our own laws, like Obama has done since DAY 1.

The Angry Bum fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 21, 2011

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
Welp after doing a cursory glance at Pew's website the closest article I came to the poll used was this:
http://people-press.org/report/715/

Not seeing 80% anywhere in there, if anything the poll just shows that there are opinions on the actions in libya all over the place.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

DevNull posted:

gently caress the politics of it. The rebels on the ground are getting some help. They are happy.

Seriously I hope Obama or someone just goes gently caress you guys and your political horseshit. Not letting unarmed people be blown to pieces by AA guns is a good thing and that should be what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Shitpost Gaze posted:

THE HORSES rear end posted:

I'm guessing they implied "Vote for us or you go to Hell"

Close. Ham was in here earlier and explained it better than I can, but they basically told a bunch of people that it was their duty as Muslims to vote "yes" on the referendum. Once they did that there was no chance of it not passing.

• Locked thread