Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pedrophile posted:

Source please?

This was posted already, but I'm not sure if Angry Bum is talking about this...
http://www.pollingreport.com/libya.htm

quote:

Pew Research Center. March 10-13, 2011. N=1,001 adults nationwide. Margin of error ± 4.

"Do you think the United States has a responsibility to do something about the fighting in Libya between government forces and anti-government groups, or doesn't the United States have this responsibility?"

Does Does not Unsure
% % %

3/10-13/11
27 63 10

"Would you favor or oppose the United States and its allies doing each of the following with respect to Libya? . . ."

Favor Oppose Unsure
% % %

"Increasing economic and diplomatic sanctions on Libya"

3/10-13/11
51 40 9

"Enforcing a no-fly zone over Libya"

3/10-13/11
44 45 11

"Sending arms and supplies to anti-government groups in Libya"

3/10-13/11
23 69 8

"Bombing Libyan air defenses"

3/10-13/11
16 77 7

"Sending troops into Libya"

3/10-13/11
13 82 5

Honestly, there's about equal representation for Agree and Opposing a NFZ, but it seems a lot of people didn't consider that we would have to bomb Libyan AAA sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The Angry Bum posted:

http://people-press.org/report/715/

Take note of the results on the right that say "Public Split over No-Fly Zone". 77% oppose the bombing of Libyan defenses, 82% oppose sending in ground troops. 63% against the US having ANY involvement.

44% in support of a NFZ, 45% against
16% in support of bombing air defences, 77% against.

Tells me that the people polled were generally uninformed as to what a NFZ actually entailed.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

DevNull posted:

gently caress the politics of it. The rebels on the ground are getting some help. They are happy.

Ultimately, this. I think political ramifications should always be prepared to take a back seat when put up against basic humanism. If we can't even save innocent people who are being slaughtered in front of us, then the international community has either failed, or never existed beyond a sanctimonious pretense.

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

ChaosSamusX posted:

Ultimately, this. I think political ramifications should always be prepared to take a back seat when put up against basic humanism. If we can't even save innocent people who are being slaughtered in front of us, then the international community has either failed, or never existed beyond a sanctimonious pretense.

Let me tell you about this little thing called Guantanamo Bay...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Angry Bum posted:

Pew poll over the weekend said nearly 80% of Americans STRICTLY OPPOSE Obama sending in any part of our military to Libya.
On the other hand, a new CNN poll says that 70% of Americans support the no-fly zone.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
Also keep in mind that Pew is somewhat of a left leaning research group.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

randombattle posted:

Seriously I hope Obama or someone just goes gently caress you guys and your political horseshit. Not letting unarmed people be blown to pieces by AA guns is a good thing and that should be what matters.

Pretty much.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

44% in support of a NFZ, 45% against
16% in support of bombing air defences, 77% against.

Tells me that the people polled were generally uninformed as to what a NFZ actually entailed.

A lot of people across many nations weren't really sure what the NFZ actually meant. And that was even after Admiral Mike Mullen went in front of Congress to explain that coordinated strikes against Libyan defenses were going to be a part of it. Either no one listened to that, were paying any attention, or just brushed it off thinking the no-fly was going to be fighter jets patrolling the country.

DaveWoo posted:

On the other hand, a new CNN poll says that 70% of Americans support the no-fly zone.

A lot of Americans just like watching war.

The Angry Bum fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 21, 2011

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Angry Bum posted:

The War Powers act itself is unconstitutional and the Supreme Court needs to abolish it NOW. And Obama himself specifically said he would NEVER use the act to commit to a military operation that was not any threat to the United States. He broke his own promise, and his words are as useless as Qaddafi's. Obama is currently breaking the law and the US Constitution and should pay for it with his job IMMEDIATELY.
Funny, because the War Powers Resolution is held to be an unconstitutional check on the President's power, and that is the view of every president since Nixon. So assuming this magical SCOTUS of yours sua sponte decides without any actual controversy brought before it that the resolution is in fact illegal, it would in fact expand the president's authority in dispatching military forces, not constrict it.

So clearly, by failing to uphold the constitution, Rep Kucinich is committing an impeachable offense in unlawfully restraining the President's authority as commander in chief of the armed forces to deploy them as he sees necessary. Good to know!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I know about Gaddafi's soldiers and the fact that he has some supporters. But who are the rebels exactly?

I mean, I'm pretty sure that the majority of them simply want democracy and fair representation for themselves, and I know about the slaughtering of innocent civilians. But are the some other components to the resistance that I'm not getting? I'm just seeing a lot of posts painting the rebels as the first demographic only but I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that. Can anyone who knows a lot more than me answer this?

Fake edit:

Narmi posted:

Close. Ham was in here earlier and explained it better than I can, but they basically told a bunch of people that it was their duty as Muslims to vote "yes" on the referendum. Once they did that there was no chance of it not passing.

Thank you! I'll look up his post and see what else I can find.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Of course, what has to be done now is that the Egyptians need to get a fatwah that voting to their best interests, not as the Muslim Brotherhood say, is the right way, according to Allah. Get it out now, fast, and before the Muslim Brotherhood cook the actual elections.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

Shitpost Gaze posted:

I know about Gaddafi's soldiers and the fact that he has some supporters. But who are the rebels exactly?

I mean, I'm pretty sure that the majority of them simply want democracy and fair representation for themselves, and I know about the slaughtering of innocent civilians. But are the some other components to the resistance that I'm not getting? I'm just seeing a lot of posts painting the rebels as the first demographic only but I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than that. Can anyone who knows a lot more than me answer this?

Fake edit:

Thank you! I'll look up his post and see what else I can find.

The rebels are pretty much the civilian population of Libya, they're not necessarily on any side but are all fighting for the common goal of freedom. On the otherside is Gadaffi and his loyalists who want to return the country back to his rule.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Reaganomicon posted:

Let me tell you about this little thing called Guantanamo Bay...

Um, congrats. Don't assume that just because I'm supporting this action doesn't mean I'm anything close to a right-winged jingoistic American. I think GB is a symbol of the failure of the American constitution, and that for the most part, American foreign policy has been a steaming pile of crap for the past decade.

Like someone else said, this reflects how most people on this thread feel. Just because we agree with a single thing a person or group does, does not mean we whole-heartedly support every fiber of their existence.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

randombattle posted:

Seriously I hope Obama or someone just goes gently caress you guys and your political horseshit. Not letting unarmed people be blown to pieces by AA guns is a good thing and that should be what matters.

Perhaps when they eventually take over and have some prefunctory vote he can fly a bunch in to hold up purple fingers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Simtex posted:

A little more on that Russian situation from the New York Times:

"According to Interfax, Mr. Medvedev also said that Russia would be willing to help mediate an end to the conflict in Libya, but suggested that this would not necessarily mean talking to Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi. "Qaddafi has said he holds no official posts. Judging from his actions, he is not is not the one to shake hands with," Mr. Medvedev told the news agency."

I would add the caveat that nothing in Russian politics is as it seems. There have been "faceoffs" before that some have speculated to be calculated moves to temper criticism. Nonetheless, :lol:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle a puppet figurehead leader...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Pedrophile posted:

The rebels are pretty much the civilian population of Libya, they're not necessarily on any side but are all fighting for the common goal of freedom. On the otherside is Gadaffi and his loyalists who want to return the country back to his rule.

It's just that I thought I read that there was some clan-related animosity in there and a little bit of an East vs. West thing too. Not trying to say that the (very) vast majority isn't fighting for new governance or that the rebels aren't genuine!

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

ChaosSamusX posted:

Um, congrats. Don't assume that just because I'm supporting this action doesn't mean I'm anything close to a right-winged jingoistic American. I think GB is a symbol of the failure of the American constitution,

Whoa, at there I was thinking that you now have a black man for president? Did I dream that?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Astroman posted:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle a puppet figurehead leader...

I'm sure the irony isn't lost on him.

Hell I'm sure Medvedev wakes up everyday quietly hating himself.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Cartouche posted:

Do you have a link to your flag? I am uncertain what you would have shedding a tear for it.
E:FB

good question.
the clichés are beer, chocolate and french fries.
We do have manneken pis, the little peeing guy in brussels. But don't know if that could work.
Maybe I'll try something if I have some time during the next days, so I can post it next time my country bombs something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mrfart fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 21, 2011

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

The Reaganomicon posted:

Whoa, at there I was thinking that you now have a black man for president? Did I dream that?

In the spirit of accuracy, what denominations/ethnicities did you dream of his parents having? Black is such an overgeneralization.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Surely it could be nothing other than Jean-Claude Van Damme?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

mrfart posted:

good question.
the clichés are beer, chocolate and french fries (no they're not french).

I didn't know french fries were Swiss.

edit: My mistake. You included beer. Obviously Germany.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Shitpost Gaze posted:

It's just that I thought I read that there was some clan-related animosity in there and a little bit of an East vs. West thing too. Not trying to say that the (very) vast majority isn't fighting for new governance or that the rebels aren't genuine!
There is that, of course, and a reason why the ragtag rebels are, uh, ragtag is because the eastern half of the nation is significantly underdeveloped and armed compared with the depots in the west, where Qadaffi's tribal allegiances lay. And there's no accident that the east rebelled first; it's the tribal area most alienated by Qadaffi's rule (interesting historical note: the monarch deposed by our Beloved Brother was from a tribe in this region.) The transitional council, however, has been taking extraordinary pains to present a united front transcending all these tribal concerns. How deep this unity goes is honestly an open question which no one has a real answer for.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pedrophile posted:

Are you really sure that is the truth, and its not just tribes A,B,C vs tribes D and E?

I saw another guy on Al-Jazeera saying that its all tribes, so I'm not sure its all just racist talk.

Are we sure enough about that reality to throw another couple billion behind the "they-just-need-a-little-help-for-democracy-world-view" when we are still bogged down in 2 wars where we thought we knew what the people wanted and we would be out in months, not 10 years.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kw0134 posted:

There is that, of course, and a reason why the ragtag rebels are, uh, ragtag is because the eastern half of the nation is significantly underdeveloped and armed compared with the depots in the west, where Qadaffi's tribal allegiances lay. And there's no accident that the east rebelled first; it's the tribal area most alienated by Qadaffi's rule (interesting historical note: the monarch deposed by our Beloved Brother was from a tribe in this region.) The transitional council, however, has been taking extraordinary pains to present a united front transcending all these tribal concerns. How deep this unity goes is honestly an open question which no one has a real answer for.

Let's not forget Misurata is still a hot spot for the rebels and Zawiya and Zwara had to be occupied to keep them from rebelling, all of which are in the western quadrant of Libya and near Tripoli.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

So the American people loved the Afghanistan and Iraq wars and those ended up to be horrible travesties. So if the American people hate this "war" then it'll be a good thing, right?

The American public is always wrong!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Reaganomicon posted:

Um, I meant "Guantanamo Bay", not "George Bush"

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Wait...

The Angry Bum posted:

Pew poll over the weekend said nearly 80% of Americans STRICTLY OPPOSE Obama sending in any part of our military to Libya.

Pew Research Center. March 10-13, 2011

March 10-13, 2011

Well, I guess you didn't say which weekend.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot

Baddog posted:

Are you really sure that is the truth, and its not just tribes A,B,C vs tribes D and E?

I saw another guy on Al-Jazeera saying that its all tribes, so I'm not sure its all just racist talk.

Are we sure enough about that reality to throw another couple billion behind the "they-just-need-a-little-help-for-democracy-world-view" when we are still bogged down in 2 wars where we thought we knew what the people wanted and we would be out in months, not 10 years.

As an outside observer I haven't seen many signs of infighting between these tribes, it seems very much like the population vs. gadaffi. Most of the time I've seen tribal war was in trying to call what's happening a civil war. I don't think this seems to be the case as it is very apparent that one side is massacring civilians.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Young Freud posted:

Let's not forget Misurata is still a hot spot for the rebels and Zawiya and Zwara had to be occupied to keep them from rebelling, all of which are in the western quadrant of Libya and near Tripoli.
Absolutely, and that Tripoli itself became a weapons-free warzone or else this little intervention would have been wholly unnecessary because Tripolans would be doing the Ceausescu noose dance for the Qadaffi clan a few weeks back. However it is not crazy to be a little cautious if and when the dust settles and Qadaffi's gone and suddenly the matter of who came from where takes on sudden prominence in the supposedly unified rebellion.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

mrfart posted:

Maybe I'll try something if I have some time during the next days, so I can post it next time my country bombs something.

Are we also going to count the creation of "ethnic groups" in order to keep a population under control, then leaving as soon as genocide starts?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Surely it could be nothing other than Jean-Claude Van Damme?

Actually, I guess tintin is the most popular belgian, even if a lot of people think he's french or something. especially now spielbergs movie is about to be released.

Anyway, the belgian f16's didn't got any action today. Their job is apparently making sure the NFZ is respected.
I don't know if there's any libyan pilots who will try to get up in the air the next couple of days. I imaging they don't stand that much of a chance, although I don't know what they're flying with (migs?).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

kw0134 posted:

kw0134 posted:

Absolutely, and that Tripoli itself became a weapons-free warzone or else this little intervention would have been wholly unnecessary because Tripolans would be doing the Ceausescu noose dance for the Qadaffi clan a few weeks back. However it is not crazy to be a little cautious if and when the dust settles and Qadaffi's gone and suddenly the matter of who came from where takes on sudden prominence in the supposedly unified rebellion.

Thanks! You're right, the aftermath of this could be potentially messy. Just one more reservation I have about this thing ending.:(

Zappatista
Oct 28, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

mrfart posted:

good question.
the clichés are beer, chocolate and french fries.
We do have manneken pis, the little peeing guy in brussels. But don't know if that could work.

how about a waffle? :v:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
msnbc enlightening us on the Clinton anti-genocide connection wrt the "Tutus and Hutsis in Rwanda". Apparently Hillary was egged on by her husband because he still feels bad for... the great ballet massacre??

The Reaganomicon
Oct 14, 2010

by Lowtax

mrfart posted:

You struck gold and don't even realize it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Koesj posted:

msnbc enlightening us on the Clinton anti-genocide connection wrt the "Tutus and Hutsis in Rwanda". Apparently Hillary was egged on by her husband because he still feels bad for... the great ballet massacre??

Them and the Watusi are some pretty vicious killers.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Baddog posted:

No, he's not sure at all. We in the West are seeing the TV pictures and immediately fitting them into our own Middle East narrative: Evil despot vs resolute populace. Other people, in other parts of the world, might see something else entirely. There's a good article on this here (read it!):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/20/bahrain-saudi-intervention-religious-divide

You shouldn't assume that, just because Gadafffi's a murderous lunatic (which he is), the people opposing him are automatically peaceful democrats themselves. Like most of the posters in this thread, I know next to nothing about the history, culture and aspirations of the different tribes that make up the Libyan population. Perhaps they just want rid of Gadaffi so that they can invite Osama Bin Laden into Libya! "That's not true!!!", goons reply indignantly. Well, how do you know?? Have you bothered to investigate what the rebels really want at all? At least ask the questions before taking up their cause so enthusiastically.

DonT15
Oct 31, 2010

Umiapik posted:

Well, how do you know??

Gaddafi said that. And Gaddafi is a liar (see: cease-fire). Therefore, what Gaddafi says is not true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Koesj posted:

lol one million dead dudes with funny names.

Also France was backing the dudes doing most of the killing.

• Locked thread