Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

timn posted:

Would something similar in size and power to Ninja 650 still be appropriate for a starter bike or is that pushing it? Would something a bit smaller like a GS500 definitely be a smarter pick? Like a lot of others I'm interested in getting as many years as possible out of a first bike before wanting something more, but I understand the need to be conservative.

I'd say the Ninja 650 is a fine starter bike as much as a GS500. I started on a GS500 and still ride it among my other bikes, but it's a bit low-tech and the Ninja 650 would likely be better in the longer run. Ninja 650 is fuel injected, and has better tire options, the valve adjustment interval is 26000 miles or something as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

timn posted:

Would something similar in size and power to Ninja 650 still be appropriate for a starter bike or is that pushing it? Would something a bit smaller like a GS500 definitely be a smarter pick? Like a lot of others I'm interested in getting as many years as possible out of a first bike before wanting something more, but I understand the need to be conservative.

I'd avoid recommending a 650 without some form of previous riding experience, or seeing the person ride first. The GS500 won't loop out on you without some serious coaxing, the 650 can definitely lift the front with a nice snap of the throttle in first gear.

Don't think of bikes as "getting many years of riding" out of them, the objective of a first bike is simple: Give you the most forgiving platform to develop the experience you need to keep you safe. Dumping it after the first year is pretty much expected. Buy accordingly. It's not like a car where you get really invested in it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

timn posted:

I believe the 650r has about 70 hp, which puts it right on the upper limit for suggested new-rider power. You'd have to be very mindful of your control inputs until your muscle memory built up for small adjustments. I'd personally recommend against it, because there's bound to be at least one time where you accidentally hamfist the throttle, which would be very bad for a new rider with 70hp.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

timn posted:

First bike is just that, a first bike. Why do you want to ride just one bike for many years?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 23, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

timn posted:

Actually most people like swapping around bikes pretty often. You can do this cheaply or even make a little money if you buy wisely. Chances are you'll bang up/drop your first bike. Don't go out and buy something in shiny shape and spend a bunch of money on it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I've been riding for less than two years and have owned four different motorcycles already, all of which were very different from each other.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely look at smaller bikes then.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
Bought that Ninja 500 I posted on the last page for 850. I think I made out okay, because it drives fine, and starts up without to much trouble. Has 35,000 miles on it, needs the valves checked and probably new tires. I'm going to attempt to do the valves with my brother, and maybe do some body work with my friend, new paint and what not. Seems like it will be a fine first bike.

edit- The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should back out of the deal. After new tires, the valve adjustment, new chain, and all other maintenance I will be set back more than a few bucks. It's probably better to keep shopping and find one that is a little newer and has better maintenance.

Ethox fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 23, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ethox posted:

Bought that Ninja 500 I posted on the last page for 850. I think I made out okay, because it drives fine, and starts up without to much trouble. Has 35,000 miles on it, needs the valves checked and probably new tires. I'm going to attempt to do the valves with my brother, and maybe do some body work with my friend, new paint and what not. Seems like it will be a fine first bike.

edit- The more I think about it, the more I feel like I should back out of the deal. After new tires, the valve adjustment, new chain, and all other maintenance I will be set back more than a few bucks. It's probably better to keep shopping and find one that is a little newer and has better maintenance.

I personally don't feel like that's a bad deal. Figure $300 in tires, a few hours of your time in the valve adjustment, same with the plastic repair, and $80 or so in a chain and you've got a reliable beater that you don't care about dropping. $1100 for the bike and if you take decent care of it you should be able to sell it for around that when you want to move up.

But this all depends on your level of mechanical ability. If you do a good job on the repaint, you could even potentially see more than that out of it. But I probably wouldn't bother to paint it, just ride it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Ethox posted:

Yeah, figure about ~350 bucks extra after all this is said and done. As a starting price, I wouldn't pay more than 700 for that bike if it needed all the consumables changed, plus the valve adjustment.

edit: Huh, I guess the market for 500s is cheaper around here

Mr White
Jul 7, 2004
I see dead people
I've finally decided to buy a proper bike. I've been riding a 300cc scooter for the past couple of years, with a little over 20000km on the clock, I'm starting to feel the need for more power on larger roads, but I'm unsure what to look for. I'm tempted to get something in the upper end of recommended power for beginners, but would something like an sv650 or er6n/f be too much for me?

I should also add that I have a full European motorbike licence so I have experience with changing gears etc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mr White posted:

I've finally decided to buy a proper bike. I've been riding a 300cc scooter for the past couple of years, with a little over 20000km on the clock, I'm starting to feel the need for more power on larger roads, but I'm unsure what to look for. I'm tempted to get something in the upper end of recommended power for beginners, but would something like an sv650 or er6n/f be too much for me?

I should also add that I have a full European motorbike licence so I have experience with changing gears etc.

You should be fine on a 650. Just respect the throttle and you'll be fine.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I was wondering if this was a scam. sounds too good to be true.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/spo/2275226209.html

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
Whenever I see a CL add that loads 1 huge image, I assume its a scam.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I've seen those too. Love the key words:

CL Scammer posted:

"The feasibility, you mean to say," replied Barbican, "not exactly of sending a bullet to the Moon, but of sending it to the neutral point between the Earth and the Moon, which lies at about nine-tenths of the
During the time he was making very awkward attempts to dress himself in the darkness, his fingers trembling violently, both from fear and the cold, he fancied each moment that he could hear his parents moving around, as if they had suspected his purpose, and were on the alert to prevent him from carrying it into execution. It seemed, too, as if each particular b keywords:honda,suzuki,kawasaki,yamaha,shoei,suzuki kawasaki yamaha street r1 r6 600rr 1000rr ninja.. (boatload more)

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
Ive seen 500's in nice shape with new tires for 1200. One 05 had 3,000 miles on it and they wanted 1650. Who knows what gremlins will pop up, and what has been done in that 35,000 mile time span. I am mechanically inclined, but Id still be worried about loving something up. I'm just gonna keep on shopping till I find a better deal.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

xd posted:

I was wondering if this was a scam. sounds too good to be true.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/spo/2275226209.html

There's an R1 that keeps popping up in my local craigslist for 1900 that's an obvious scam, this one I don't know... looks fishy.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange
I've been talking with the owners of these bikes (both the same distance from me; just in opposite directions):

2001 GS500 $1650

1992 GS500 $1200

Both have been dropped once, have clean titles and both owners seem to be on top of maintenance.

However, according to their owners, the 92 needs a new head light and tires and the 01 would eventually need a new chain and front fork shocks "recharged" (I know you can rebuild them or replace them, but recharge I've never heard of).

Now the 01 owner says the valves are hydraulic and thus never need adjustment; is this true?

Based on this; which bike should I go with/go to first? I'd like to see both before making a decision, but the 92 owner is moving and wants the bike gone by Sunday.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ethox posted:

Ive seen 500's in nice shape with new tires for 1200. One 05 had 3,000 miles on it and they wanted 1650. Who knows what gremlins will pop up, and what has been done in that 35,000 mile time span. I am mechanically inclined, but Id still be worried about loving something up. I'm just gonna keep on shopping till I find a better deal.

If your market for 500s is that good, then yeah, by all means, wait. Out here they tend to be priced a bit higher.

Commodore 64, don't buy the first one. The owner's an idiot, the valves must be done fairly regularly on those bikes or else they burn valves.

I'd say show up with 900-1000$ to the second one, you know you've kinda got him over a barrel.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.
I'm looking to get my first bike, and was wondering if you guys think the price for this XL250 is fair and/or if you have any input on XL250s in general.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda-xl250-5399-original-miles-super-nice-/160562576254?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2562467b7e#ht_500wt_1182

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
How do gs500's and ninja 500's stack up to each other?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

How do gs500's and ninja 500's stack up to each other?

GS500 has two valves per cylinder, Ninja 500 has four and more refinement and power because of it.

I'd go for the Ninja.

EDIT: vvv Of course, I forgot that tiny little detail :downs:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 24, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Also the GS is aircooled and the Ninja is water cooled.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I remember some moto rag pitting them against each other, and (based on the mid-00's generation, I think) the EX ended up having a bit more power and better brakes. Not really something you would notice as a novice, but the differences are there.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It's first bike time. I've bicycled to work last summer, but due to a schedule change I need something there that will get me there in a reasonable time without sucking down a ton of gas. Since the wiki isn't there anymore for good first bikes, I'm looking for something and googling it later. These look promising, tell me what you think.

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2280969764.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2284357046.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/2282563540.html

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 25, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about getting a newer bike form what I've got now (new job yay!), and stumbled across this one for sale at a local dealer: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2009-Suzuki-GS500F--97510031

Its an 09 but I went and checked it out in person briefly, and it only has 15 miles on it. The price on it is only a little more than people are asking for several year old models around here, and I'm betting that I can get almost that price for it during the summer if I'm not feeling it later on.

I'm still definitely a new rider, I'm just looking for something newer than my current ride.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I've been thinking about getting a newer bike form what I've got now (new job yay!), and stumbled across this one for sale at a local dealer: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2009-Suzuki-GS500F--97510031

Its an 09 but I went and checked it out in person briefly, and it only has 15 miles on it. The price on it is only a little more than people are asking for several year old models around here, and I'm betting that I can get almost that price for it during the summer if I'm not feeling it later on.

I'm still definitely a new rider, I'm just looking for something newer than my current ride.

$3,400 is MSRP with the deal Suzuki is doing through the end of the month, which is 1k off quite a few of their bikes. I've seen some for 3k and a couple at even under 3k, which is crazy. You do have to factor in tax, and fees they will tack on, so ask about the out the door price. If you can get it for $3400 out the door, that would be a pretty good deal.

I think the GS500 is the hidden starter bike. Lots of people mention 250s to people new to motorcycling, the ninja 250, the soon to be CBR250 and the various cruiser 250s for those who don't think they'll like a sport bike. The GS is overlooked, which is good if you want one, since there are tons of leftover models that can go for cheap if you want a new one.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I like my GS500 a lot, even if you upgrade later it still makes a great commuter bike to keep along with other bikes.

Also how stupid would this be?

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362127

I'm considering offering him 2000$

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

BradleyJamers posted:

Good GS500 advice.

Well some dipshit knocked my current bike over while it was parked some time this weekend, so I'll be distracted with fixing the odds and ends on that for a little while. Goddamn street parking. At only seems to have done some light cosmetic damage, but since the fall broke the clutch lever I can't ride it.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I've been thinking about buying a motorcycle to commute to work now that gas is ridiculous and won't be cheaper any time soon. It's about a 25 mile commute one way and it's all highway.

What would be a good, reliable, cheap starter bike for my needs? I have no idea where to even start looking. Also, would it be at all possible to get something for $1,000-$1,500, or am I asking for way too much? What kind of gas mileage would I see?

Also, how hot does riding get? Dress code here is business casual, in the summer I typically wear a polo shirt and dress slacks.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Grenyarnia posted:

So I've been thinking about buying a motorcycle to commute to work now that gas is ridiculous and won't be cheaper any time soon. It's about a 25 mile commute one way and it's all highway.

What would be a good, reliable, cheap starter bike for my needs? I have no idea where to even start looking. Also, would it be at all possible to get something for $1,000-$1,500, or am I asking for way too much? What kind of gas mileage would I see?

Also, how hot does riding get? Dress code here is business casual, in the summer I typically wear a polo shirt and dress slacks.

If you read this thread, you will get the usual suspects. But...

A '90s Kawasaki EX500 / a/k/a "Ninja 500". You can still buy them new, but an old one is as cheap as you want, down to maybe $500 (but the market in your area may be different).

~60mpg

Fairly warm, but textile (as opposed to leather) gear with lots of ventilation will help. Plus if you're on the highway going 55-80mph, you're going to stay cool.

Carry your clothes to work and change in the toilet, assuming your bosses have no stick up their butt about you entering the premises with bike gear on.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Saga posted:

If you read this thread, you will get the usual suspects. But...

A '90s Kawasaki EX500 / a/k/a "Ninja 500". You can still buy them new, but an old one is as cheap as you want, down to maybe $500 (but the market in your area may be different).

~60mpg

Fairly warm, but textile (as opposed to leather) gear with lots of ventilation will help. Plus if you're on the highway going 55-80mph, you're going to stay cool.

Carry your clothes to work and change in the toilet, assuming your bosses have no stick up their butt about you entering the premises with bike gear on.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have clarified but I'm not interested in sport bikes. They look too uncomfortable. Any suggestions for cheap cruisers (is that what they are even called? I don't know any of the motorcycle terms.)

I'll go ahead and read back through the thread though.

Edit: is 250cc sufficient for my needs or will I want to kill myself when going up a hill.

Edit 2: This is the kind of bike I'd be interested in: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2289731672.html

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 29, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grenyarnia posted:

I should have clarified but I'm not interested in sport bikes. They look too uncomfortable. Any suggestions for cheap cruisers (is that what they are even called? I don't know any of the motorcycle terms.)

Don't let looks deceive you, some bikes that look sporty have quite upright and comfortable ergonomics.

quote:

Edit: is 250cc sufficient for my needs or will I want to kill myself when going up a hill.

How big/tall/heavy are you?

For commuting through city traffic and not venturing onto highways etc., 250cc should be plenty. Heck, a 125cc or 150cc scooter would have more than enough power and you wouldn't have to worry about shifting gears in stop-and-go traffic.

It's your first bike and you're going to use it mostly for commuting. Get something relatively cheap with less than 40hp, no fairings to mess up and simple enough mechanics that you can keep it going yourself cheaply. Otherwise you'll probably only break even at best compared to driving a car.

I think a small-capacity scooter should suit you fine. 4-stroke scooters get ridiculous mileage.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

You probably do not want a Rebel 250 if you're going to be using your bike on the highway. The Rebel makes about 17hp and is totally tapped out at 65mph or so. However, that's not to say all 250cc are inadequate - the Ninja 250 makes almost twice the power and is much more usable on the highway.

If you want a cruiser, you can get a small Suzuku TU250 (but even that can only manage 75 or so) or you can get something more midsize like a Yamaha V-Star 650. Pretty much any cruiser that is 800cc or less will be rideable for a new rider.

I'd also recommend that you just do your own research on good beginner motorcycles because you'll probably find a lot more bikes out there than you thought existed, and this question has been discussed ad nauseum. At the very least, look up the different basic kinds of motorcycles (sportbike, cruiser, dual sport, dirtbike, standard, touring).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'd say after the MSF go sit on a Ninja 250, it's not the sport crouch riding position or anything. Honda nighthawk 250 if you want something that looks like a UJM also, but that taps out at 80ish I think so depending on what city you're in that could be a deal breaker.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How about a naked SV650? Assuming you take the MSF and have some self control.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grenyarnia posted:

Thanks for the reply.

Edit 2: This is the kind of bike I'd be interested in: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2289731672.html

(I assume you're in the bmore area...)
http://frederick.craigslist.org/mcy/2236319123.html

I learned to ride on one of these and still have it...just need to get the drat carbs worked out this year, or buy an SV650.

It's shaft drive so you won't have to worry about a chain. Carbs are easy to take off/apart and clean and you can still find parts for them from a bunch of places. They are also big/heavy and sturdy enough to feel good on the highway doing 65-70 all day. I paid 850 for mine 9 years ago.

e: That one even has highway pegs it looks like.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 29, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Grenyarnia posted:

Thanks for the reply.

The EX500 isn't a sportsbike - at least not by modern standards.

Its riding position is far more comfortable than a cruiser. Cruisers typically require you to loft your arms in the air while bending your back at a fairly acute angle (legs and arms both pointing towards the front of the bike). Basically you're bent like a bannana.

Look at Dennis Hopper's bike - arms held up high, no back support, legs forward

Ouch. Very ouch on the highway when 80mph wind is trying to pull your backwards off the bike.

The EX has you basically sitting with your weight going down your spine, slightly inclined forward to offset the wind blast coming over the screen. Pretty much like one of those weird posture chairs from the end of the 80s.

Completely random GIS result, but this has to be a goon...

:stare:

Or the deviantart/WW comedy version, but this pretty much shows you the difference*:

Comfy!

The 500 will have a fair bit more power for easy freeway/highway/motorway/whateva riding. It will be happier in traffic moving at 80-ish.

* Now, ASE class of 2011 - note the cloud of smoke. This will be because the rider forgot a critical wheel spacer when reinstalling the rear wheel. The flames helpfully illustrate what happens when you improperly refit carb floats and they REALLY stick open. Note the right foot position and lack of braking action, indicating that the rider has not realised the rear brake master cylinder is completely empty.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Saga posted:

* Now, ASE class of 2011 - note the cloud of smoke. This will be because the rider forgot a critical wheel spacer when reinstalling the rear wheel. The flames helpfully illustrate what happens when you improperly refit carb floats and they REALLY stick open. Note the right foot position and lack of braking action, indicating that the rider has not realised the rear brake master cylinder is completely empty.

That looks like a drum brake to me, no MC needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

That looks like a drum brake to me, no MC needed.

Duh yes, it was late at night. Sorry. 2 points to Gryffindor.

I should have said, observe the position of the brake rod pivot which does not actually move the brake rod when the brake lever is depressed.

I also like the fact that the forks have completely snapped in half and are presumably held in place with duct tape