Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Here's hoping you feel differently now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Gaspar Lewis posted:

At least he tried :)

kill your sons
Aug 29, 2005

Charles V. Forge

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Here's hoping you come back to the thread with helpful critique.

edit: Thanks for the crit fellas:)

kill your sons fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 28, 2011

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Well:

A Weezy acapella beatmatched not-that-great and a 70s-80s AM Gold song you play backwards and then forwards!!! and end with a fade when you're out of tricks/ideas/rap bars does not necessarily a compelling work make. Let alone twice.

Honestly I was enjoying "Walking on Thin Ice" the most as an atmospheric experience until you just had to bring it forward again... and end it before the number of seconds hit triple digits.

And then you give "After the Gold Rush" a title that isn't cutesy or jokey enough to look like a way to back out of being serious, unless you're being really esoteric with the callbacks to "Dream Weaver" and "A Milli". As if you're trying to say what you did is something wholly fresh and new enough or has so many components that it's justified as an entirely self-sustained piece. But maybe that's me reading too much into it.

For the future? Make me understand why you chose the songs you did. Make it sound like the vocalist feels a little more natural over their backing. Play around with loops and cuts and stutters and call-and-response. Jazz it up more than zero. I'm not asking for my precious time back or anything, but what have I gained from listening to Lil Wayne go Martian over an '84 Kinks song for 97 seconds?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

kill your sons posted:

Here's hoping you come back to the thread with helpful critique.

I was trying to be nice but Gaspar Lewis pretty much nailed it, you have a lot of work to do. I think you might be headed off in the wrong direction. I don't doubt that if you gave it a lot more work you can make something great but you just really need to rethink what you're trying to accomplish.

Good luck man! We all gotta start somewhere. Are you at a really early stage in making music? If so I think you might be being too optimistic. We all make trash in the beginning, and then more trash, and then more, etc. It takes a long time to get things figured out. You just made the mistake of sharing your early work, something the rest of us hide. Hell, even look at Girl Talk's early work (not to start that up again in this thread.)

I'm not sure what could count as a helpful critique for those two tracks though, other than maybe just move on and forget about them. I really can't think of anything you can do with them. Then again they're wildly different from most of the mashups we're all used to, maybe theres some niche into that sort of thing I'm aware of, I don't know.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

:tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv::tviv:
I've got the opportunity to interview Girl Talk at the end of this month for a local college paper. If you could ask Girl Talk one question, what would it be? If it's a good one I'll be sure to include it.

It's possible that I'll be videotaping this interview, so in that case I'll be sure to upload it & post it here if that does happen.
Follow up?

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006
That "Don't Worry, I'm Yours" mashup guy.

(Formerly known as "that Half-Life 2 remix guy.")
Hot drat, I've been away from this thread for too long and have a lot of catching up to do with all the great music being posted. I'm definitely a fan of Girl Talk's "All Day", but I still need to give the new Ludachrist and Milkman albums a through listen (among others).

I've been working on more of my own mashups and have a bit of a library built up now. Just about everything can be previewed and downloaded via my Soundcloud account. You listen to and download everything here.

Looking back, some are admittedly poo poo, but I'm rather proud the ones that I felt were "meant to be". That is, I was usually listening to one track when the lyrics of another bubbled up into my head, and then I couldn't wait to get at my computer to see if they'd make a good mashup (usually they did). Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also quite excited to spread the word about a new mashup collaborate effort I'm involved in called The GMC:

The Global Mashup Crew on SoundCloud posted:

The GMC (Global Mashup Crew) was born in december 2010. After participating on the "Welcome Back Weezy" tribute album (by Sunset In The Rearview) a bunch of DJs decided to continue to work together. Since they all were located on different places in the world the project was named "Global Mashup Crew". The group consists of 9 DJs: Paul M.B., DJ Dain, Doubleyou, DOSVEC, DJ Philistine, DJ Bahler, Ha! Yes!, DJ Fergie Ferg, and Big Z Remixes.

Here are the albums we've put together so far (images are linked):

Please enjoy. Again, any and all feedback would be much appreciated!

DJ Dain fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 2, 2011

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Irish Thunder posted:

Follow up?

It never actually happened because my contact decided to wait until the last possible second to try & get me press passes, since the show was already sold out by that point he wasn't able to get it. Making this the second time I've had this opportunity fail on me.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Dain22 posted:

Hey, so I don't know poo poo about music, but Liquid Superman off the Em mash-up is fantastic. Like, drat.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Dain22 posted:

Hot drat, I've been away from this thread for too long and have a lot of catching up to do with all the great music being posted. I'm definitely a fan of Girl Talk's "All Day", but I still need to give the new Ludachrist and Milkman albums a through listen (among others).

I've been working on more of my own mashups and have a bit of a library built up now. Just about everything can be previewed and downloaded via my Soundcloud account. My first 50 mashups have been complied into this set. The next batch can be found here.

Looking back, some are admittedly poo poo, but I'm rather proud the ones that I felt were "meant to be". That is, I was usually listening to one track when the lyrics of another bubbled up into my head, and then I couldn't wait to get at my computer to see if they'd make a good mashup (usually they did). Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also quite excited to spread the word about a new mashup collaborate effort I'm involved in called The GMC:

Javelin & Eminem? I'm there. Javelin grew up in Providence, making them hometown heroes for me, so this really is awesome. Haven't heard them used in anything so far, so I'm excited to hear how this turns out.

Lone Tuna
Feb 23, 2011

"The accents on that Gazeebow Unit song are bizarre, they jump between perfect Cork and English West country, would never have guessed that they're Canadian. Was Newfoundland settled by Irish and just isolated enough to have preserved the accent?"
Shocked at the lack of DJ Yoda love on this thread. He's got more of an old school cut/paste/scratch style than Girl Talk but it’s a lot of fun and great background music for parties

His Bodytonic podcast is a good free download to start with

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/podcasts/2008/mar/26/bodytonic-podcast-6-yoda/

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Cool Rolling Stone interview with Girl Talk
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/rolling-stone-video-blog/girl-talk-takes-rolling-stone-on-a-tour-of-his-computer-20110412

He shows how he does the mashing on his computer.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

The best Girl Talk interview is the one where this girl is just passed out on his bed and he is just casually being interviewed. What a baller.

edit: found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KykbPtRb0K4

Irish Thunder fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 13, 2011

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Okay, this came out the other week. DJ Cable and Yasmin did a mashup of 160 hip hop songs in five minutes for Annie Mac's BBC Radio 1 show

http://soundcloud.com/djcable/yasmin-dj-cable-bbc-radio-1

it's really good.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

a milk crime posted:

Okay, this came out the other week. DJ Cable and Yasmin did a mashup of 160 hip hop songs in five minutes for Annie Mac's BBC Radio 1 show

http://soundcloud.com/djcable/yasmin-dj-cable-bbc-radio-1

it's really good.

This is almost difficult to listen to. Because it uses so many samples it doesn't fall into any solid groove for longer than a couple of seconds, which is already a flaw with a lot of the ADD style mashups but at least most times you can get a good half-minute of tight grooving before it moves on. It's clever technically but as a song is not very good. It's the sweep-picking teenage bedroom guitarist of mashups.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

RandomCheese posted:

This is almost difficult to listen to. Because it uses so many samples it doesn't fall into any solid groove for longer than a couple of seconds, which is already a flaw with a lot of the ADD style mashups but at least most times you can get a good half-minute of tight grooving before it moves on. It's clever technically but as a song is not very good. It's the sweep-picking teenage bedroom guitarist of mashups.

Well, I think that's the point. In a five minute mix, they figured that they might take an alternative approach to the same thing that most others take. Most others establish a sense of groove, and they decided not to. They mostly wanted to show off technical skill, which, they did.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Juanito posted:

Cool Rolling Stone interview with Girl Talk
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/rolling-stone-video-blog/girl-talk-takes-rolling-stone-on-a-tour-of-his-computer-20110412

He shows how he does the mashing on his computer.

This was actually really awesome, thanks for sharing!

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Dain22 posted:

stuff

Hi there Dain! (Adam H. here)

Since we've last spoken in person I've become a huge fan of mashups. I'll give your stuff a good listen. Glad to see you're doing well.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Dain22 posted:

I've been working on more of my own mashups and have a bit of a library built up now. Just about everything can be previewed and downloaded via my Soundcloud account. My first 50 mashups have been complied into this set. The next batch can be found here.

You're a part of this? That's awesome! I really enjoyed the first album you guys put out. Didn't know you guys had another but I'll check it out as well.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Here's a nice song that was released a few weeks ago. It doesn't really fit into the regular mash-up genre and it's more geared towards a dance mix but it's incredibly well done and made by one of my favorite artists, Cutups.

It's an hour and 30 minutes long, the first 5 minutes aren't that great but within 11 minutes it turns into something amazing.

Soundclud: Cutups - Tomb Swag

Here's a higher quality download (320)

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Oggumogoggum posted:

Hi there Dain! (Adam H. here)

Since we've last spoken in person I've become a huge fan of mashups. I'll give your stuff a good listen. Glad to see you're doing well.

Great to hear from you! We should catch up some time.

This is the latest and possibly one of the most ambitious mashups I've attempted to date:

http://soundcloud.com/dj-dain/am-i-going-down-forever-mashup

Led Zeppelin, Styx, Zebra, Chicago, Green Day, The Beatles, the Wu-Tang Clan and the Steve Miller Band - all of them guilty of using the same descending chord progression. The really crazy thing about this is that I'm still discovering songs that could be incorporated. For example, "Traffic" by The Psycheground Group.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
You're a son of a bitch and I hate you forever for beating me to the punch on doing something with at least the Beatles / Zeppelin / Chicago connection. I'll give it a full listen later, but... dang. I remember from years ago when you were... "still working on your technique", let's put it that way. drat, you got better by miles. Which is awesome!

The only thing I'm wondering is... what's with a lion's share of the dudes left doing old-school bastard pop being German? Just something I noticed as a quasi-trend.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
drat, e-603 never released his album last month :goonboot:

DJ Dain
Nov 7, 2006

Gaspar Lewis posted:

You're a son of a bitch and I hate you forever for beating me to the punch on doing something with at least the Beatles / Zeppelin / Chicago connection. I'll give it a full listen later, but... dang. I remember from years ago when you were... "still working on your technique", let's put it that way. drat, you got better by miles. Which is awesome!

The only thing I'm wondering is... what's with a lion's share of the dudes left doing old-school bastard pop being German? Just something I noticed as a quasi-trend.

:lol: We'll I'd definitely encourage you to try your hand at your own mix. Maybe you'll make an even better arrangement! I really appreciate your support - four years of working on mashups has started paying off in... let's say "interesting" ways ;)

Which German-based mashup artists are you referring to? I know Mashup-Germany is one of the bigger "traditional" guys. I was heavily inspired by Party Ben and DJ Lobsterdust when I first got into production (hell, I'm still striving to make mashups on their level), and I'm pretty sure they're state-side.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah I was an anklebiter around GYBO while it was still major and those dudes hung around there. Hell, I even remember seeing a few McSleazy posts in the flesh. I remember a lot of those guys and have a few MP3s still floating on my harddrive: solcofn, Poj Masta, Cheekyboy, CCC, Lionel Vinyl, RIAA. Zeigeist heyday Wild West era.

Party Ben is definitely San Fran because of the old Sixx Mixxes, dunno about Lobsterdust, but a lot of the guys still in it seem to be from outside the US/UK/AUS trifecta. Then again I think there's still US Bootie nights (in Boston or SF I don't know anymore) so maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
I saw Girl Talk 2 weekends ago and he put on an awesome show. I saw that he is going to be at Lollapalooza this summer along with Super Mash Bros, which should be great. Anyone planning on seeing either of them there this summer?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dain22 posted:

This is the latest and possibly one of the most ambitious mashups I've attempted to date:

Led Zeppelin, Styx, Zebra, Chicago, Green Day, The Beatles, the Wu-Tang Clan and the Steve Miller Band - all of them guilty of using the same descending chord progression. The really crazy thing about this is that I'm still discovering songs that could be incorporated. For example, "Traffic" by The Psycheground Group.

It doesn't really feel like you didn't do any mastering to the track, man. A lot of the samples are muddled and quiet compared to the rest of the track. My other big complaint is it doesn't really have any structure or dynamics to it - you've got some great samples and a good idea for the track but without any real changes to anything it's just really boring. And it's a hell of an accomplishment to make While My Guitar Gently Weeps dull.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
I've made a new mash up album and released it yesterday, it's not ADD style like Girl Talk but just 1 on 1 mashups with dubstep/hip-hop.

http://debit.bandcamp.com/album/the-dub-hop-mix

Tell me what you think :toot:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Tokit posted:

I've made a new mash up album and released it yesterday, it's not ADD style like Girl Talk but just 1 on 1 mashups with dubstep/hip-hop.

http://debit.bandcamp.com/album/the-dub-hop-mix

Tell me what you think :toot:

I really like it, good work

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Dain22 posted:

I really enjoyed this mashup, very good job.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

RandomCheese posted:

Just curious, but have you ever listened to John Oswald's Plexure? It has a bit of history behind it, and after you hear the full onslaught of the album, your standards for mash-ups will be irrevocably raised.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Just curious, but have you ever listened to John Oswald's Plexure? It has a bit of history behind it, and after you hear the full onslaught of the album, your standards for mash-ups will be irrevocably raised.

Raised as in this is too drat mashed up? Or that this poo poo is any good? Because I can't hardly listen to ANY track of this stuff. Thats what you were getting at right?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Don't feel bad, Darthemed. This is more or less what happened quickly after I tried to show people Raiding the 20th Century.

Some people just will never care beyond having an excuse to listen to pop music without having to admit they like it.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

tagelthebagel posted:

Raised as in this is too drat mashed up? Or that this poo poo is any good? Because I can't hardly listen to ANY track of this stuff. Thats what you were getting at right?

One of the things the wikipedia article discusses about that is that it helped inspire Osymyso's notable "Intro-Inspection", which may be a more accessible track in a similar style.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7qEfZu5l2U
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpaMcWbug-8
The whole thing is 12 minutes or so and mashes up the intros to about a hundred pop songs and ends up sounding like a fast-forwarded party set by a very confused but skilled DJ. It's worth a listen.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
After being a fan for a really long time, I finally get to see Girl Talk perform tomorrow in Miami. Anyone else going to the show? I'm loving STOKED.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Don't feel bad, Darthemed. This is more or less what happened quickly after I tried to show people Raiding the 20th Century.

Some people just will never care beyond having an excuse to listen to pop music without having to admit they like it.

I guessthat music just puts me on edge because I need at least 5 seconds of a song. The quick cuts just urk me. Its like it is even MORE ADD than most mash up bands and my brain can't handle it. And I admit that I like pop music. =)

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh gently caress I can't get over how pumped I am for tonight. I haven't been this excited in A LONG TIME.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Shampy posted:

Oh gently caress I can't get over how pumped I am for tonight. I haven't been this excited in A LONG TIME.

You will have a blast. If you go to the front of the stage during the openers and look like you are having a good time, they might bring you up on stage. Thats how my group got on anyways- about 5 min before he came on, one of his crew members told us to go to the side of the stage if we wanted to go on up and they brought us up right after he came on.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008

Shampy posted:

So jealous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but Speaky's new mashup is out

http://speakyblog.blogspot.com/