Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sublime Process posted:

What exactly makes the shifter weight worth it? I'm kind of ignorant on that part.

Shifting times are faster and feels more precise (especially downshifting). The difference is most apparent when you are shifting into 5th; it's MUCH easier compared to the heavier stock weight.

I'm not sure if the weight is still on Cobb's site, but I've always seen boxes of them at the back in Cobb Plano, so just give them a call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Does it clean up that "notchy" feel when shifting? Or is that more on trans fluid?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Sublime Process posted:

Does it clean up that "notchy" feel when shifting? Or is that more on trans fluid?

You might wanna look at shifter bushings or this too.

e: I think jbarone actually said he's making a kit that has the bushings, shifter plate, AND a RMM all in one, so might wanna wait 'til that comes out.

It'll be in this page under "stage 3"

air- fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2011

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Yea, I've heard of the jbarone stuff - just never looked at it. Seems like nice quality!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Does anyone have the new style mazda3 here ? I test drove one at work on Friday cause I was thinking about buying a 5 door, but I noticed right away the inside is really small. I'm going to take a 4 door out on Monday and we have a 2005 5 door outside that I'll look at too. My friend has a 2008 4 door and it doesn't seem nearly as cramped inside, am I wrong or did the inside shrink a lot ? It seems like the new dash area takes up a ton of space as opposed to the previous model.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I've got a 2011 Speed3 (5door) and the inside is plenty big. I don't notice it being more cramped in the front than my friends 2008.5 mazda3 sedan.

Edit: nope its actually bigger....

2008 Mazda3 Sedan Interior dimensions
* Front head room 39"
* Rear head room 37"
* Front shoulder room 55"
* Rear shoulder room 54"
* Front hip room 54"
* Rear hip room 53"
* Front leg room 41.1"
* Rear leg room 36.3"
* Luggage capacity 11.5 cu ft
* Maximum cargo capacity 11.5 cu ft

2011 Mazda3 Sedan Interior dimensions
* Front head room 39"
* Rear head room 38"
* Front shoulder room 55"
* Rear shoulder room 54"
* Front hip room 54"
* Rear hip room 52"
* Front leg room 42"
* Rear leg room 36.2"
* Luggage capacity 11.8 cu ft
* Maximum cargo capacity 11.8 cu ft

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 20, 2011

Buckeye
Oct 22, 2003
I don't want the world...I just want your half.
Compared to what? I have the '10 Speed3 and the inside is not what I'd call "plenty big". Adequately sized perhaps. Big enough that you can fit a baby seat behind the passenger side if the front passenger is very small or willing to eat his or her knees while riding along. With that said I love this car and it's actually very practical for what it is. Big and roomy it is not.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
It's a compact hatchback though, not a family sedan. Maybe the updated interior makes it seem smaller.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Buckeye posted:

Compared to what? I have the '10 Speed3 and the inside is not what I'd call "plenty big". Adequately sized perhaps. Big enough that you can fit a baby seat behind the passenger side if the front passenger is very small or willing to eat his or her knees while riding along. With that said I love this car and it's actually very practical for what it is. Big and roomy it is not.

How large are you???

All I know is that I'm 5'10" and yesterday was driving my '11 Speed3, had my friend in the front seat who is 6'10" and 280lbs in the front passenger seat and he was definitely not "eating his knees" even with all 3 of the back seats taken up by 3 more people.

edit: and the people in the back seats were not small either..

Buckeye
Oct 22, 2003
I don't want the world...I just want your half.
6'2" 190lb. Apparently your Speed3 is larger than mine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

6'4" and 250lb and I never have any issues with room within my '07 MS3. I do keep the seat back pretty far under normal conditions (one or no passengers) but I can still get a full backseat behind me and be remarkably comfortable by just scooting the seat forward a couple inches.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Autism Sundae posted:

It's a compact hatchback though, not a family sedan. Maybe the updated interior makes it seem smaller.

On my friend's new Mazdaspeed the interior design and all those LEDs somehow make it feel more "comfy" and confined, but it is not smaller.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I don't own one but when I drove the new Speed3 I thought the "layers of slabs" design made the dash look pretty huge, and I guess the thick seats and the general darkness of the interior can make it feel smaller.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Search continues.

Found this one and talked to the dealer Friday afternoon. Looking good so far.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...05&aff=national

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

19 grand? Can't you get a 2011 MS3 for almost that much?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Autism Sundae posted:

19 grand? Can't you get a 2011 MS3 for almost that much?

MS6 was $29K new, and I do not like the MS3's current design. That MS6 has been on their lot for months, I'm going to lowball and see what happens.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Let us know how it checks out :) definitely ask them to put it on a lift for you to see if its had mods. If its been on the lot for quite awhile they'll do a lot to get you into that car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Let us know how it checks out :) definitely ask them to put it on a lift for you to see if its had mods. If its been on the lot for quite awhile they'll do a lot to get you into that car.

Heh, I asked them for pics of the entire underside of the car and every nook and cranny of the engine compartment. If I'm gonna drop this cash it has to be perfect and this car fits every one of my requirements except mileage (was unreasonably wanting under 30K). I'm pondering contacting a local garage and seeing if they'll go do an inspection.

I'm also scouring the area to do another test drive. I only put in about 20 minutes in the one I drove which is when I fell in love with it but I'd really like to do a few miles and go above 50mph.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Heh, I asked them for pics of the entire underside of the car and every nook and cranny of the engine compartment. If I'm gonna drop this cash it has to be perfect and this car fits every one of my requirements except mileage (was unreasonably wanting under 30K). I'm pondering contacting a local garage and seeing if they'll go do an inspection.

I'm also scouring the area to do another test drive. I only put in about 20 minutes in the one I drove which is when I fell in love with it but I'd really like to do a few miles and go above 50mph.

Haha nice! Definitely look out for signs its been wrenched on in the pictures, because it seems these engines don't respond very well to aftermarket parts without careful tuning. Yeah, it would be a good idea to have an inspection done including compression and leak-down test on it before you buy.

At such low mileage though it should be OK.. but I agree totally with you that if I was dropping that much cash on a used car I would want EVERYTHING to be looked over carefully.

edit: and definitely take it on the highway and over some rough roads as well.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I prefer to do test drives at 10 MPH over what speed I drive at most frequently. High speed driving will reveal a lot about a car that driving around locally on a smooth road just won't. Ask the salesman if he minds if you take it up to 80-90 MPH briefly. If he seems hesitant, remind him of many of the safety features that come standard on the car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

I prefer to do test drives at 10 MPH over what speed I drive at most frequently. High speed driving will reveal a lot about a car that driving around locally on a smooth road just won't. Ask the salesman if he minds if you take it up to 80-90 MPH briefly. If he seems hesitant, remind him of many of the safety features that come standard on the car.

The only bad thing here is the car in question is out of state so if I don't like the car I'm out the cost of traveling there and back.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Search continues.

Found this one and talked to the dealer Friday afternoon. Looking good so far.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...05&aff=national

Oh my god that "video" is hilariously awful

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Oh my god that "video" is hilariously awful

All dealer videos are that bad or worse.

Just talked to the dealer again, they're very nice and willing to deal so I lowballed. He's going to talk to his boss tomorrow and call me back.

So will it cost me more to ship the car or to fly there and drive it back?

Edit: Well, if they come down a bit more on the price this is a done deal, I have the cash to buy this car outright.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 24, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

All dealer videos are that bad or worse.

Just talked to the dealer again, they're very nice and willing to deal so I lowballed. He's going to talk to his boss tomorrow and call me back.

So will it cost me more to ship the car or to fly there and drive it back?

Edit: Well, if they come down a bit more on the price this is a done deal, I have the cash to buy this car outright.

It will be cheaper for you to fly there and drive it back assuming you buy a 1 way ticket, but I would only do this if you are positive that this car out mechanically. If you buy a two way ticket and only fly back if the car isn't what you expected, it will probably cost around the same as shipping the car. I would rather not ship the car though as car carriers are notoriously unreliable in terms of shipping times, and I've heard some horror stories regarding damage they've done to cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

It will be cheaper for you to fly there and drive it back assuming you buy a 1 way ticket, but I would only do this if you are positive that this car out mechanically. If you buy a two way ticket and only fly back if the car isn't what you expected, it will probably cost around the same as shipping the car. I would rather not ship the car though as car carriers are notoriously unreliable in terms of shipping times, and I've heard some horror stories regarding damage they've done to cars.

I haven't flown in years so I just assumed it was going to be an arm and a leg like last time. I found a flight for $89 so I think flying down and driving is now the most viable option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Talked to the dealer again today, everything sounds great. Gonna talk to them tomorrow to set up the outside mechanic coming in on Monday to do an inspection. If that checks out it's definitely a done deal and I'll fly out Friday morning.

Edit: Just re-read an earlier post of mine, the flight cost is $298, not $98.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 26, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Talked to the dealer again today, everything sounds great. Gonna talk to them tomorrow to set up the outside mechanic coming in on Monday to do an inspection. If that checks out it's definitely a done deal and I'll fly out Friday morning.

Edit: Just re-read an earlier post of mine, the flight cost is $298, not $98.

Helll yes. I hope it checks out! Have them check the differentials too, they're quite expensive to fix if they go out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

Helll yes. I hope it checks out! Have them check the differentials too, they're quite expensive to fix if they go out.

Inspection is good, the dealer is also certifying the car so it's a go. Just trying to sort out a few details and trying to get them to knock another $500 off.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Inspection is good, the dealer is also certifying the car so it's a go. Just trying to sort out a few details and trying to get them to knock another $500 off.

Oh man :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I do have one thing I'm uncertain of, since I'm buying out of state don't I pay the taxes on the car here in Indiana and not in Virginia?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Usually if you buy a car in a neighboring state, they'll be able to do it for you. Since you're going a few states away, I wouldn't expect them to be able to handle Indiana taxes and DMV filings. Expect to get VA temp tags, then file for registration yourself in Indiana. If Indiana requires inspections, you'll have to do that also. You'll probably pay the tax to the DMV when you register the car.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

I do have one thing I'm uncertain of, since I'm buying out of state don't I pay the taxes on the car here in Indiana and not in Virginia?
Yes.

SynMoo posted:

Usually if you buy a car in a neighboring state, they'll be able to do it for you. Since you're going a few states away, I wouldn't expect them to be able to handle Indiana taxes and DMV filings. Expect to get VA temp tags, then file for registration yourself in Indiana. If Indiana requires inspections, you'll have to do that also. You'll probably pay the tax to the DMV when you register the car.

This is correct. I'm not sure if VA will be able to do the taxes for you or not, I know that Ohio and Illinois dealerships usually can. But I'm thinking that you will probably be paying the taxes at the DMV when you register the car. BTW SynMoo, Indiana is awesome and has no sort of inspections at all :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought so. My father bought a trailer in Ohio a few years ago and paid taxes on it there and then had to pay them again here in Indiana. Took 6 months to get them refunded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Made several calls to the DMVs in Indiana and Virginia, called a salesman at the dealership instead of the internet sales manager. Basically, been lied to more than once, had to threaten a chargeback on my deposit even though I have an email that states it was fully refundable. Walking away from this deal.

Pissed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
sorry mate.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Made several calls to the DMVs in Indiana and Virginia, called a salesman at the dealership instead of the internet sales manager. Basically, been lied to more than once, had to threaten a chargeback on my deposit even though I have an email that states it was fully refundable. Walking away from this deal.

Pissed.

Aw.. drat dealership scumbags. Good job walking away, best to not give those type of people your business.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What exactly went sour?

Good call on walking away if it wasn't 100% right, it's not a minor purchase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

What exactly went sour?

Good call on walking away if it wasn't 100% right, it's not a minor purchase.

They lowered their online asking price so then they wouldn't honor our agreed upon price. Then I called the Virginia DMV and the Indiana DMV and found they were being shady about the taxes as well. So I called the dealership and bypassed their online sales and got yet another price and promises. Said gently caress it, I'll find one elsewhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So they lowered their asking price, but refused to honor your previous price (which I presume was still lower than the new asking price)?

That doesn't even make sense. If they were fine with the lower price before they lowered their asking price, why not now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

So they lowered their asking price, but refused to honor your previous price (which I presume was still lower than the new asking price)?

That doesn't even make sense. If they were fine with the lower price before they lowered their asking price, why not now?

Excellent question. It really seems like the person handling online sales had no idea what the other salesmen were doing. I just got another call from them and they're saying I made a "intent to purchase the car online" and am required to follow through.