Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Interrupt
Mar 30, 2010

aeiou posted:

I love vector graphics! Give us a link to the market so we can check it out.

You can find it at https://market.android.com/details?id=com.interrupt.retrospace if you're curious. I've heard from people on reddit that the calibration on startup didn't work on some devices but the calibration on unpause (screen tap) did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Wrote an iterative permutation generator (rather than using itertools) to cycle through an alphabet. Added support classes and hosed with parallel python to create a distributed hash cracker. Whoo lunch break!

It's running locally here because I'm a lazy toss who doesn't want to pull out his laptop.

SiliconCow
Jul 14, 2001
If anyone wants an amateurishly implemented jqueryUI widget for categorizing stuff:

http://siliconcow.no-ip.org/directoryTest/

I couldn't find much better elsewhere except kind of with some ExtJS stuff and I don't want to deal with the the licensing nonsense there(does a hosted application need to opensource it's code with GPLv3? They seem to think so but I thought that was only the AGPL...).

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

SiliconCow posted:

does a hosted application need to opensource it's code with GPLv3? They seem to think so but I thought that was only the AGPL...

Technically, yes, anything based on GPL code needs to be distributable under the GPLv3, which means with source.

However, web applications are a special case, because they are not actually distributed to the users - the web application runs entirely on the web server, so the users have no right to the source code under the GPL, as the application was never distributed to them at all. The AGPL addresses this.

But Javascript UI stuff would not be covered under this arrangement, as it is distributed to the user, so they get rights under the normal GPL.

If you have a web application with Javascript components that are distributed to the user, it becomes somewhat questionable if those components are a distinct entity which can be open-sourced to the user on its own, or if they drag the entire web application with them.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

C++, OpenMP for multithreading shenanigans and Qt for the GUI.

I'm drowning in university work so I haven't had time to work on this ray tracer as much as I'd like. The ambient occlusion is really crude, the supersampling method is just a silly uniform grid, shadows are turned off and there's a gazillion other things I'd like to work on. Ah well, hopefully I'll have some time to work on it in a couple months.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
This was written by a co-worker on the team that I spent the 6 months working on (the Guild Wars 2 tools team): http://altdevblogaday.org/2011/03/13/before-you-wreck-yourself/

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ugg boots posted:

This was written by a co-worker on the team that I spent the 6 months working on (the Guild Wars 2 tools team): http://altdevblogaday.org/2011/03/13/before-you-wreck-yourself/

That was a fantastic read. Thanks.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
Just for kicks I decided to see if I could write a light-weight, json-based web service in C#, kind of like Sinatra for Ruby. I know it's a pretty terrible idea, but it's still fun to do.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Part of a class project.

Surprisingly, Lua, C++, and Java are very close performance wise, with Python lagging behind by about a third. I would have expected both Lua and Python to lag a little, but Lua keeps up just fine while Python lags behind badly.

All of them are using SDL on the back end for graphics, input, and audio, but all of the game logic is written in the language specified.

UraniumAnchor fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 19, 2011

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
What is your performance measurement? I mean, that looks like a game that wouldn't require very high performance.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Game logic is rarely a bottleneck even for big budget modern games -- many of which also use languages such as lua or python for those aspects of their game (avoids recompiles, and much easier for designers to work with if they have to).

Unless you're writing the next Civilization, you're probably not going to have to worry much about your game logic impacting performance.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Performance is actually a secondary concern, the point of the project is more to compare what the program structure ends up looking like and differences with object management etc.

Lua and C++ consume the least memory, Java consumes the most with Python close behind, though I expect a lot of that is just overhead.

The other 'performance' measure is FPS. Right now, using software blits, it's getting 330-ish for everything but Python, which is more like 210. I was actually expecting them all to be relatively close in performance, with the graphics code being the bottleneck, so I suspect I might be doing something wrong in the python code.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lone_Strider posted:

Just for kicks I decided to see if I could write a light-weight, json-based web service in C#, kind of like Sinatra for Ruby. I know it's a pretty terrible idea, but it's still fun to do.

Interesting. So the method parameters are typed, what happens if a query string matches the attribute but not the method parameter type? Exception? Doesn't match?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Factor Mystic posted:

Interesting. So the method parameters are typed, what happens if a query string matches the attribute but not the method parameter type? Exception? Doesn't match?

It would return an error to the client, indicating a parameter type failure & the parameter that caused it.
code:
protected virtual object ParameterFailure(string Message, string ParameterName) {
    return new {
        status = "failed",
        error = Message,
        parameter = ParameterName
    };
}
You can override it to provide your own error message, and there are similar methods for paths that don't exist, unhandled exceptions while invoking the method, ect.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Wrote a bot that uses Markov chaining and 6 pages worth of Obama quotes to generate new tweets for my Obama Markov twitter account. I have it sitting in console spitting out new ones every 10 minutes and whenever I sit at my computer, I screen them and tweet the good looking ones. It only took me a few hours and less than 200 lines of code, but it's by far, been my favorite personal project I've ever worked on.

Mental Filler
May 5, 2007

She can ride or walk
either leave it or love it

poemdexter posted:

Wrote a bot that uses Markov chaining and 6 pages worth of Obama quotes to generate new tweets for my Obama Markov twitter account. I have it sitting in console spitting out new ones every 10 minutes and whenever I sit at my computer, I screen them and tweet the good looking ones. It only took me a few hours and less than 200 lines of code, but it's by far, been my favorite personal project I've ever worked on.

Easily the best application of Markov chains I've seen all year.

AcidRoot
Apr 15, 2010

Lone_Strider posted:

I know this is off topic but what editor are you using?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

AcidRoot posted:

I know this is off topic but what editor are you using?
Visual Studio 2010, with a theme I picked up from http://studiostyl.es/. Can't remember the name of the theme, though

takua108
Mar 2, 2010
Game I'm workin' on

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

takua108 posted:

Game I'm workin' on

This looks sweet. Could you give more details? The C64 style is perfect.

takua108
Mar 2, 2010

NOG posted:

This looks sweet. Could you give more details? The C64 style is perfect.

Thanks! It's a Myst-esque adventure game, but with 2D brawler controls (left/right move left/right, up/down move forwards/backwards on the z-plane). It's a semi-abstract puzzle-solver at first, but then something awesome happens partway through the game and the tone and gameplay shift in a way that I won't spoil (in hopes that I end up finishing the game, something I've never done before [but this is the closest I've got]).

I went with the throwbacky graphical style because a.) it looks awesome and b.) it's really easy to draw and animate stuff at 160x120. While I'm restricting myself to 160x120 (without any of that crap that games like Gang Garrison do where they have fake low-res graphics with conflicting resolutions), I'm using a full 24-bit color palette because why not.

I'm also making all of the sounds and music myself, something I've never really gotten into before. As it turns out, it's really easy and fun to make music and sound effects with musagi and sfxr that sound just like the computers and consoles that I'm trying to imitate.

I made a website for it, but it currently only works in the latest browsers (IE9, Firefox 3-4, Chrome, etc.): http://rezich.com/interior/. I hope to finish the game within a couple months.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
HAHA. I love the website design. That's pretty clever. What language/libraries are you using if I might ask?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ha! That website is certainly worth a click.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Man I sure do love websites that don't even let you link to their images.

takua108
Mar 2, 2010

poemdexter posted:

HAHA. I love the website design. That's pretty clever. What language/libraries are you using if I might ask?

It's just CSS and a teeny tiny little bit of jQuery. Glad you like it :D

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
edit: eh, just took this to the Flash questions. doesn't seem like I can do much with the project having lost the original files. Will repost if/when I make some progress.

takua108 posted:

Agreed, the website is awesome.

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 24, 2011

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

takua108 posted:

I guess I should have been more clear. I meant what languages/libraries for your game. :downs:

AcidRoot
Apr 15, 2010

Very very very early version of a game I'm creating. Nowhere near done but it's my first game so its mainly going to be a learning experience.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
The laser scan data isn't me. (I do not have a laser scanner :() I have a simulated camera that flies around and estimates its path based on what it sees.

takua108
Mar 2, 2010

poemdexter posted:

I guess I should have been more clear. I meant what languages/libraries for your game. :downs:

I started off using C#/XNA, thinking I'd finally make a full game with that. Then I tried dicking around with FlashPunk for a bit, but, in the end, I decided that I wanted to make a drat game, and finish it, something I've never done before. So I went back to Game Maker, which I haven't touched in years. It's a huge pain because I have to do stuff in a far less elegant way than I'm used to, but I don't really care; this game is going to be finished, and the idea of finally finishing a project for once excites me.

Also, in my defense, I'm using only code in Game Maker; no drag-and-drop actions (except "execute code"). I really wish they'd add a "GML only" mode in the future :\

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

rstat.us is a website that my friends and myself started about 10 days ago and launched last night. It's based on the ostatus protocol and really is basically a back to basics twitter with a focus on openness and simplicity. It's currently very much so in the alpha phase, but it's interesting how fast it's already grown. We are fixing bugs and adding features at a fairly constant rate right now.

Pretty psyched about getting this launched and out to the public.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm making a financial account system for a my fraternity project that I've posted here before. Most chapters still use basic Excel spreadsheets to manage their chapter finances, which sucks. We're fortunate enough to have a Quicken setup, so I'm doing my best to emulate that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFod0__fjEI

That's just the basic functionality, but I'm hoping to keep expanding upon it.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Making lots of progress on my minecraft-style game. I have a lot more updates at http://dangerz.blogspot.com as I've been using that as a developer diary. Here are the latest screenshots:

I'm working on loading/unloading chunks now without having collisions due to threading. As you can see, I'm also having issues with my textures there but I'll figure that out after the chunk loading/unloading.

Being really new to game design, I'm still learning a lot of techniques that have probably been in use for a while. It's been a lot of fun though so it's well worth it.

Before I get yelled at for copying Minecraft, know that I just wanted to learn how to make a 3d game and Minecraft looked really neat to try and mimic. It looks so simple to putz around in but when it comes time to actually creating it, it's proven to be pretty challenging.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

dangerz posted:

Making lots of progress on my minecraft-style game. I have a lot more updates at http://dangerz.blogspot.com as I've been using that as a developer diary.
That looks pretty cool, what algorithm are you using to generate the vertex buffers so that only the outside surface is shown?

Also your blog mentioned that you were planning on adding fog effects. If you're still using the basicEffect shader it has a fog mode built in, something like
code:
basicEffect.FogEnabled = true;
basicEffect.FogColor = Color.White.ToVector3();
basicEffect.FogStart = 10f;
basicEffect.FogStop = 100f;
I just stuck some numbers in there, but if you use the far plane distance of your camera as FogStop you should get 100% opacity there which makes anything on the horizon appear to fade in. Make FogStart something like half that distance and you're good to go. It's good to be able to switch fog off for development though, especially if you are doing dynamic addition/removal of chunks since those will typically happen at the far edge of your viewing distance.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

That looks pretty cool, what algorithm are you using to generate the vertex buffers so that only the outside surface is shown?
I'm actually just doing a second pass after the chunk is generated to determine whether or not the face is shown. I go through each cube, check if it has neighboring cubes and if it doesn't, add the face.

I was trying to do the check while I was building the actual chunk, but I couldn't figure out a good way to do it. If you have any better ideas I'd love to try them.

quote:

Also your blog mentioned that you were planning on adding fog effects. If you're still using the basicEffect shader it has a fog mode built in, something like
I actually switched over to the basicEffect shader and used the built in fog there. I really wanted to learn HLSL (and I still do), but I realized that learning HLSL while I'm learning all this 3d stuff isn't the best idea. basicEffect gives me what I need to at least learn all this stuff. I figure when I'm good enough that basicEffect is holding me back, I'll be good enough to write my own shader.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

dangerz posted:

I'm working on loading/unloading chunks now without having collisions due to threading.

First off, that looks awesome. Second, if you target .NET 4.0 then you get access to their ConcurrentDictionary which is a lockless dictionary. Just an FYI.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Ugg boots posted:

First off, that looks awesome. Second, if you target .NET 4.0 then you get access to their ConcurrentDictionary which is a lockless dictionary. Just an FYI.
Awesome, I'll look into ConcurrentDictionary. I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it.

I think my issue is bigger than just a threadsafe Dictionary though. By having a massive Dictionary of all my cubes, I'm going to have a hell of a time adding/removing cubes as it grows in size without colliding with something else. I think the best approach would be to break that listing of cubes and put them inside of their respective chunk class. That way the odds of me accessing the dictionary while I'm adding/deleting from it are much smaller. Also, putting a lock on it doesn't effect the entire game. Only that individual chunk. The down side is that I can no longer access allCubes[cubeLocation]. I'll need to create something that transforms cubeLocation to chunkLocation and access world.terrain[chunkLocation].cubes[cubeLocation]. Only real issue I see there is some kind of rounding error causing the cubeLocation to transform into the wrong chunkLocation. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Thanks for the compliments :]

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

dangerz posted:

Before I get yelled at for copying Minecraft

Disown anyone who yells at you for that, it looks awesome.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

dangerz posted:

Awesome, I'll look into ConcurrentDictionary. I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it.

I think my issue is bigger than just a threadsafe Dictionary though. By having a massive Dictionary of all my cubes, I'm going to have a hell of a time adding/removing cubes as it grows in size without colliding with something else. I think the best approach would be to break that listing of cubes and put them inside of their respective chunk class. That way the odds of me accessing the dictionary while I'm adding/deleting from it are much smaller. Also, putting a lock on it doesn't effect the entire game. Only that individual chunk. The down side is that I can no longer access allCubes[cubeLocation]. I'll need to create something that transforms cubeLocation to chunkLocation and access world.terrain[chunkLocation].cubes[cubeLocation]. Only real issue I see there is some kind of rounding error causing the cubeLocation to transform into the wrong chunkLocation. Anyway, I'm rambling.

Thanks for the compliments :]

You probably are going to want some sort of spatial partitioning data structure like a kd-tree, FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

dangerz posted:

Making lots of progress on my minecraft-style game. I have a lot more updates at http://dangerz.blogspot.com as I've been using that as a developer diary. Here are the latest screenshots:

I'm working on loading/unloading chunks now without having collisions due to threading. As you can see, I'm also having issues with my textures there but I'll figure that out after the chunk loading/unloading.

Being really new to game design, I'm still learning a lot of techniques that have probably been in use for a while. It's been a lot of fun though so it's well worth it.

Before I get yelled at for copying Minecraft, know that I just wanted to learn how to make a 3d game and Minecraft looked really neat to try and mimic. It looks so simple to putz around in but when it comes time to actually creating it, it's proven to be pretty challenging.
This is really sweet. I subscribed to your blog, I'm definitely interested in following how this project goes.