Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snickering
Sep 24, 2007
...Huh. Talk about a lightbulb moment. Nevermind that between my mother, brother and sister we've got seven diagnoses, hy mom having any kind of ADHD never occurred to me, but her behavior is incredibly similar to your mothers. Given the entire family history I don't think the possibility is out of bounds, though I won't push the issue or consider it official by any means.

It wasn't quite as bad, but especially when I was younger I was very hurt by her forgetful tendencies when it concerned important things. Now that I don't need to rely on her so much it's not really a problem, plus she takes buproprion which may help.

My poor dad. There's almost no mental illness on his side of the family, and now the family tree is gonna be a little less stable from this point on. Us kids were a rude awakening for a bootstraps son of first-gen immigrants.

Snickering fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Snickering posted:

...Huh. Talk about a lightbulb moment. Nevermind that between my mother, brother and sister we've got seven diagnoses, her having any kind of ADHD never occurred to me, but her behavior is incredibly similar to your mothers. Given the entire family history I don't think the possibility is out of bounds, though I won't push the issue or consider it official by any means.

Not really clear who the "her" is here.

Snickering
Sep 24, 2007
Oops, was talking about my mom. Edited.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Jesus Christ why can't I get this through my head- NO CAFFEINE.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I miss coffee so much. :(

Today's project has been to get a Reddit clone up and running. Learning a ton about postgre, Cassandra, and system administrating in general.

Last night I installed Debian (Linux for the non-geeks) on my server. (Was using CentOS but I wasn't really digging it) What would have normally made me give up in frustration in the past was no big deal last night. Ran into some fairly major issues too, and was able to fix them and get the whole thing up and running in only a couple of hours. Today, issues coming up with setting up the clone aren't so trivial, and bountiful, so I'm struggling every step of the way. Despite the difficulties and frustrations, I'm able to keep plugging away instead of just quitting and playing video games.

I really like my weekends when I have something productive to do. Have a few more ideas of things I can setup on this server, and hopefully at least one of them spins out into something longer term than, "install it and make it work."

Jiminy Krimpet
May 13, 2010

My name is Jiminy Krimpet, and I am a Falcoholic.
So are you NO CAFFEINE people on Adderall? I'm still feeling the process out.

I was diagnosed right before Xmas last year, and tried two different dosages of Concerta. It helped me grind the gently caress out of my teeth, and that was about it.

I went to Adderall XR, and while I did feel an instant boost for the first couple of days, I felt like it wasn't having a great effect anymore; basically I'd take it when I woke up and had coffee shortly thereafter, resulting in quite a :catdrugs: feeling around 10 am, but a :smith: feeling by late afternoon.

It occurred to me that staggering my stimulant intake time might help, and sure enough, I feel a lot better if I have morning coffee and then wait until 10:30-11am to take the Adderall. Not cutting edge research, I know, but I am a creature of habit.

I'm not opposed to cutting the coffee out entirely, I guess, it's really the routine of starting the workday at the coffee shop that I enjoy. I could drink decaf tea or something.

tl;dr&summary: Did those of you on Adderall XR find that adjusting/stopping caffeine intake affected your experience?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

tl;dr&summary: Did those of you on Adderall XR find that adjusting/stopping caffeine intake affected your experience?

You're putting stimulants on top of stimulants. Your :smith: is probably because you double down then the coffee wears off leaving you to crash back down to normal. IMO, you shouldn't be able to 'feel' your meds. I 'feel' clearer about a half hour after I take my pills, but I don't 'feel' my meds (if that makes sense?). I still drink coffee, but its about a half of a cup over four or five hours. If I drank anymore I think I'd pass the gently caress out and fall asleep on my desk.

edit: and the taking later is becuase you dose with a stimulant, then around the time the first one (coffee) wears off you take your other stimulants. I self medicated with coffee and caffeine for forever until I got my pills.

Snickering
Sep 24, 2007
I had no idea I wasn't supposed to have caffeine while on my meds. Is it really that bad?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

Jesus Christ why can't I get this through my head- NO CAFFEINE.

its because to most people it's just not a big deal, they don't even really think about drinking caffeine, they just do it. Which leads us ADDers to be like "hey, I need a boost cuz my meds aren't quite doing it, gimme a cup of joe WHOOOAAAAAAAA JITTER JITTER JITTER NERVOUS PICK AT FACE AHHHHHHHH"

I spent years convincing myself that yes, I really do get bad effects from caffiene, and no, it really isn't worth it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 21, 2011

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Ever since I cut out caffeine and weed my mood has been way more stable, even in those few hours after the Adderall really wears off.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Snickering posted:

I had no idea I wasn't supposed to have caffeine while on my meds. Is it really that bad?

It depends. I don't like to take caffeine when on my meds, because I tend to get the bad side effects of the caffeine (jitteriness, having to pee every 20 minutes, etc.) without the good effects (calming, attention span). Like others said, it's laying stimulants on top of stimulants, and the prescribed ones are 1000% more effective than the caffeine. So really, you're potentially not getting any good effect from the caffeine, and a lot of bad ones instead.

(I say this having had a 16 oz hot chocolate for breakfast, and the caffeine in *that* is making me jittery).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Snickering posted:

From experience: don't take caffeine with your meds at all, if you can help it. I was drinking coffee while on Adderall and it was causing jitters, agitation, irritability, uncontrollable tooth-grinding (even while awake), extreme tension, horrible muscle soreness, occasional mood swings and pretty major heart palpitations.

Now I'm on generic Concerta, which seems to have a lot less "oomph" than the Adderall, and I still can't ever drink coffee without crazy poo poo happening to my brain and body. These days, I try to stick to caffeine-free teas, because if I have even one cup of a type of tea that contains caffeine, I start experiencing agitation and muscle tension pretty quickly. I also quit cola, cold-turkey, and noticed an immediate improvement.

People ingest caffeine because it is a convenient, universally available, fairly low-impact, unregulated stimulant. It helps people stay awake and alert throughout their daily lives without any visible side effects more serious than grouchiness and extra bathroom breaks. Most ADHD medications are vastly more effective than caffeine at everything it does, so there's really no way that combining the two will provide any meaningful benefit (especially since they seem to interact poorly, if the experiences in this thread are any indication).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 21, 2011

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Protip: Decaf coffee has caffeine in it - more than chocolate does.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

XXdragonsparkzXX posted:

Need some insight here. I have been officially diagnosed by two separate psychiatrists as both manic bipolar AND severe ADD. As you can probably tell, you can't treat one without seriously hindering the other. If you treat the Bipolar, you worsen the ADD with mood stabilizers, making it more difficult to concentrate (and in my case, make me a zombie with ADD). If you treat the ADD, the stimulants, well, stimulate the manic episodes associated with Bipolar Disorder. Naturally that doesn't sound too bad with the "highs" but can be dangerous with the "lows".

Do any of you have this problem? My doctors don't think it wise to give me anything for ADD because they think it's dangerous, but this ADD is killing me.

My psychiatrist said I seemed to have symptoms of depression, bipolar, and ADD, and he put me on bupropion (Wellbutrin) which is a non-stimulant with a low occurance of side effects that is used to treat all of the above. It's only been a week, but I can already feel a difference.

I was on Ritalin for a year in the past, and the Ritalin made my focus really intense, but it completely destroyed my appetite and my ability to work on a normal level. I was really good at getting tasks done, but I didn't function around people in the same way. I felt off.

I'm going to break this down in terrible car analogies.

Untreated: I feel like my brain is a four lane highway and all of the cars are going 100 mph. It's just a flurry of thoughts and they're going way too fast to keep track of.

Ritalin: I felt like my brain was just one car going 100 mph.

Wellbutrin: I feel like my brain has become an eight lane highway, but every car is going 40 mph. There are even more thoughts than before, but they are easier to follow and manage, and I tend to be able to follow through with a complete thought before jumping to a new one. Basically my brain hasn't slowed down, but the thoughts have slowed down. If that makes sense.

Another thing I have noticed with the Wellbutrin is that I am a lot friendlier. Untreated and on Ritalin I had this social shell up, where I could have friendly conversations with people but I usually tried to find a way to get out of social situations and be by myself. Now on the Wellbutrin, I'm having random conversations with strangers I meet, which is something I've never ever done before. This past weekend I ended up having five minute conversations with a guy I paid for gas and a guy I bought ice cream from. Normally I would just be curt but polite and remove myself from the situation as soon as possible but now I find that I enjoy people quite a bit.

It hasn't really been long enough to see how it impacts the ups and downs that I have, but right now I feel unusually up, but not manically so where I'm just crazy and super focused and motivated and excited about everything. I just feel like a more pleasant person. Hopefully the feeling persists.

Also my sex drive has increased immensely. I'm pretty much horny 24/7 now, where before I was pretty much uninterested in sex other than to appease my girlfriend 1-2 times every two weeks or so. This is apparently a really common side effect, although it can also come with sexual dysfunction like impotence and inability to orgasm.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Do you guys really get 'stimmed up'? I take a 20mg addy XR and I'll take a 15mx dex in the evening if I need it and I can easily go to bed right after taking this. I can also drink coffee too if I want (I don't like it) and still never feel like I have much energy. Maybe I'm just hosed.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Xenoid posted:

Do you guys really get 'stimmed up'?

No.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 30, 2017

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
That is not how it works. You therapist should be asking you how much time you want to spend in therapy, and work from there. Keep calling around, or keep getting referrals from your insurance company.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I don't think the Addy XR is working for me either. Excessive teeth clenching, hair feels like its standing on end all the time. Although if I concentrate I seem to formulate thoughts succinctly, it feels very inattentive hazy. Ugh... I might have to settle with Concerta again. ugh.

Snickering
Sep 24, 2007
If you really didn't like Concerta, maybe try Focalin XR? My doctor said it is typically "cleaner" than Adderall XR, if sometimes less effective. I think he may have meant that in context of mood disorders though. I switched to it from Adderall XR and my jaw clenching has gone away and my hair twirling has lessened significantly (Which is great, because it's pretty embarrassing to talk to a professor, or most people really, with one hand obsessively recurling a pre-existing curl).

As far as caffeine goes, I don't really have coffee, but I drank a looot of diet coke this past week and in light of my new knowledge, a few things are starting to make sense...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

I don't think the Addy XR is working for me either. Excessive teeth clenching, hair feels like its standing on end all the time. Although if I concentrate I seem to formulate thoughts succinctly, it feels very inattentive hazy. Ugh... I might have to settle with Concerta again. ugh.

Starting to feel the same way with adderall. I'm assuming some of it is just not getting enough vitamins, but I'm assuming that I've been clenching a bit since my right jaw muscles get all tensed and sore on occasion.

Also have the inattentive haziness at times.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
When I'm stressed out from lack of food, sleep and sanity I clench my jaw really badly. I think that's just what happens on Adderall Xr. At least it's a good indicator that you need to keep up on your health.

Aaaaah!!! Tomorrow I'm going in to a huge court like meeting with my ex-landlord and we might be able to get a rent rebate of $1300. My husband wants to split it down the middle if we do get it, even though he paid for most of our expenses the last few months. So stressed out about it.

Also, has anyone else realized how terrible they are with budgeting/sticking to a financial plan? I literally have to give over half my tax refund to my husband for rent/groceries/bills, otherwise it will end in me buying something useless and wasting it all. Like this bitching new laptop I bought on my credit card.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aculard posted:

Also, has anyone else realized how terrible they are with budgeting/sticking to a financial plan?

I've beens like 3 grand since January.

Yeah..

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Who the gently caress needs caffeine to get up in the morning when you have :catdrugs:

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
I got better at budgeting after having enough terrible fiscal experiences. I'm not doing as well as I could be doing, only saving $400 / mo and it could easily be more, but small steps - I'm actually saving money for once in my life.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
A big thing for me with saving money was when I finally got a smartphone and put a mint.com widget on it. Now I see how much debt is on my credit card and how much money is in my bank account every time I look at my phone. It's a pretty depressing little widget but it does what it's supposed to.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Partially because of my so-so math skills, and partially because of my childhood and living without money, I've nearly been the opposite. Money, especially the day-to-day stuff, makes me extremely anxious. Consequently, I always try to have a healthy cushion of it, I pay my bills as soon as I get them (including the credit card), and I end up paying my cell phone bill months in advance by giving them $300 at a time. If anything, I have the problem of being too stingy at times - but that served me well during my 6 month stint of unemployment!

So on this aspect, the anxiety outweighs the ADHD and keeps me on track.

(Now that I am employed, I have loosened the belt somewhat and bought myself some fun things, but I'm resisting the iPad 2 because it's OMGExpensive to me, despite being able to easily afford it. However - $85 worth of import metal CDs and shirts from Austria? Yes please!)

Other things that keep me on track - getting my pay split between checking and savings; my day-to-day and bills money is all in checking, and savings is just that - savings. The other thing is that I make and take my lunch with me every day to work. This is partially out of circumstance; there's no decent restaurants by my office building. But the money you save is substantial. I'm a convert! I maybe spend $10 during the week at the most now, and that's primarily on my morning breakfast at the bakery.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 23, 2011

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Take magnesium supplements and that jaw-clenching and tongue-biting will all go away.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

I switched back to Concerta for today and had a pretty good day. I got to hug Kevin Smith today, saw Red State, Shot B-Roll for a documentary for Avid, hung out with friends I hadn't seen since October. I'm not sure it was the cat drugs. I have the interview of my life tomorrow for a job I've wanted since 1983... I think I might stick with the certa until Friday.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Anyone else have problems getting back on Adderall after taking a break from it for a few days?

I usually take one 20mg of reg Adderall in the AM, and maybe take a second one right after lunch depending on what I need to accomplish. Provided I didn't take the second one after ~4-5pm, I used to have no problems sleeping.

I was visiting my folks two weeks ago - didn't take any Adderall the whole time. Still drank coffee, etc etc. Had a bit of the usual "withdrawal" symptoms the first two days, but was fine after that.

Got back home and went back on my usual regimen of Adderall and coffee. Now I'm finding it ridiculously hard to get my brain to go to sleep at night, if that makes any sense. I'll lay in bed for literally hours, my body feels like it's asleep, but my mind is racing away at a million miles an hour. Meditation/herbal tea/slow breathing doesn't help for poo poo.

I tried not taking the Adderall for a day. Slept fine. Took only one Adderall at 7AM. Had insomnia at 11PM. (Sidenote: I AM under a shitton of stress right now with work and school)

Right now, the only way I can take my Adderall and still fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time is by drinking a beer or two right before bed. Not too thrilled with that as a long-term solution, but I can't do without my medicine right now. :(

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Leathal posted:

Provided I didn't take the second one after ~4-5pm

Got back home and went back on my usual regimen of Adderall and coffee.

my mind is racing away at a million miles an hour.

(Sidenote: I AM under a shitton of stress right now with work and school)

Sometimes its the pills, sometimes it isn't. If youre under a lot of stress, you're going to have a hard time sleeping regardless. If its the adderall, talk to your doc about something else or cutting the dose?

Snickering
Sep 24, 2007

Leathal posted:

Anyone else have problems getting back on Adderall after taking a break from it for a few days?

Got back home and went back on my usual regimen of Adderall and coffee. Now I'm finding it ridiculously hard to get my brain to go to sleep at night, if that makes any sense. I'll lay in bed for literally hours, my body feels like it's asleep, but my mind is racing away at a million miles an hour. Meditation/herbal tea/slow breathing doesn't help for poo poo.

I tried not taking the Adderall for a day. Slept fine. Took only one Adderall at 7AM. Had insomnia at 11PM. (Sidenote: I AM under a shitton of stress right now with work and school)

Right now, the only way I can take my Adderall and still fall asleep in a reasonable amount of time is by drinking a beer or two right before bed. Not too thrilled with that as a long-term solution, but I can't do without my medicine right now. :(

I would stop taking it so sporadically. I had insomnnia for the first two nights I was on Adderall and poor sleep the third, and that was while using Sonata. It went away after that.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like it's just a combination of stress, getting over the flu, and being off the Adderall train for a week.

My stress level should go down a lot after Friday, so I guess I'll just deal with it until then.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Snickering posted:

I would stop taking it so sporadically. I had insomnnia for the first two nights I was on Adderall and poor sleep the third, and that was while using Sonata. It went away after that.

Yeah, taking it erratically just makes for erratic results. Hence, I'm on a pretty strict 4-5 days on, 2 days off (on weekends) schedule.

And now, for this week's Moment of :catdrugs: Awesome: I ordered a couple of Algebra 101 books from Amazon, and I'm looking forward to relearning math. I need it for my career path, but without the combination of therapy to help map out the path to studying Computer Science more formally, and the :catdrugs: to actually settle my head down for said study, I wouldn't be in this position at all. Yay Algebra and :catdrugs:!

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh
hosed the dog on the hearing. It was pretty terrible, I basically lost track of what the hell I was saying 1/4th through it, cried non stop, and the commissioner stopped the hearing so I could get our poo poo together. However, the landlord did not show up so it's undecided with the decision coming later.

drat anxiety, I need some :catdrugs:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Aculard posted:

hosed the dog on the hearing. It was pretty terrible, I basically lost track of what the hell I was saying 1/4th through it, cried non stop, and the commissioner stopped the hearing so I could get our poo poo together. However, the landlord did not show up so it's undecided with the decision coming later.

drat anxiety, I need some :catdrugs:

:glomp:

Good luck with all of this; the landlord not showing up may work in your favor.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Qu Appelle posted:

:glomp:

Good luck with all of this; the landlord not showing up may work in your favor.

Yeah, it was also that our evidence was incomplete. I was completely blindsided about a lot of the legality issues when dealing with gettnig statements from people and so on. However, the commissioner did seem pretty empathetic when I got to the last piece where the neighbors had written about how the landlord threatened to evict them for a domestic abuse situation that happened against one of them. Skeezebag.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds
Okay, I just want to pop in here and say something: gently caress you people and your bikes, now I want to ride bikes but it's 3:30 in the morning and raining and I don't own a bike anyway so I can't!! aaah bikes

Anyway, reading through some of this thread has made me realize that a lot of the stupid stuff I do might be more related to my ADHD than I thought. I think it may be time to look into getting back on meds, now. :unsmith:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I have definitely gone on more than a few 1am bike rides in my day. When you gotta ride, nothing else will suffice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Haine posted:

Okay, I just want to pop in here and say something: gently caress you people and your bikes, now I want to ride bikes but it's 3:30 in the morning and raining and I don't own a bike anyway so I can't!! aaah bikes

Anyway, reading through some of this thread has made me realize that a lot of the stupid stuff I do might be more related to my ADHD than I thought. I think it may be time to look into getting back on meds, now. :unsmith:
I think the stupid BIKES!! and CATDRUGS!! poo poo is more of a goon thing than ADD thing. Otherwise I'm going to see doctors until one of them diagnoses me with something else. Good grief.