Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I know I should expect this, but my jaw dropped when I heard this story on WOR today. Dave said that TV Week ran a story headlined "Drew Carey elected to pro wrestling hall of fame". Someone from WWE called them, got really pissed off, and demanded that they change the headline because WWE is not a wrestling company, it's a "multimedia conglomerate", it's not a pro wrestling hall of fame, they don't employ wrestlers they employ Superstars and Divas etc etc

Says a lot about the current product if it's being run by people who hate wrestling.
It just makes The Rock's promo a couple of weeks back even better if you think of it as him addressing how the entire company has changed since he left and that Cena's the best they could come up with as a main eventer. They're ashamed to be a wrestling company hence the product suffering from management's ineptitude...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Meltzer sounds like he was so loving happy to see just three matches at that ROH show live. Happier than I have heard him since Bryan got married. Maybe happier than on that show.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I noticed that also and couldn't believe some people claim that he doesn't care about wrestling.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

HulkaMatt posted:

I noticed that also and couldn't believe some people claim that he doesn't care about wrestling.

I think a lot of people conflate "care about WWE" with "care about wrestling" because the perception is that WWE has become wrestling over the last decade. Which is all kinda funny given the story on WOR last week about WWE sending that paper a nasty letter about calling the product "wrestling."

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Discussion on who will raise Stephanie's kids if HHH dies on Observer radio. Amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ChampRamp posted:

Discussion on who will raise Stephanie's kids if HHH dies on Observer radio. Amazing.

Not quite as good as Dave talking about how he used to love 90210.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Let's say we're in a world where Vince McMahon lives to be two-hundred years old."

"Thatwillneverhappen."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked "That'd be a good way to bring back Jericho: Orton's wife watches Dancing With The Stars and Orton gets jealous."
"You just came up with a better angle than the one they'll use."
"I thought about it for a second, that's the problem."

These guys are really narky. I love it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

"Let's say we're in a world where Vince McMahon lives to be two-hundred years old."

"Thatwillneverhappen."
If Vince never dies I'm holding Bryan personally responsible now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ChampRamp posted:

You've just made an unemployed man open a $9 a month subscription. You oval office.

You beautiful oval office.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

"Thatwillneverhappen."

Vince is going to live forever just to prove the dirt sheets wrong.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
The discussion of there being four guys between Dave and his son was really good as well. The fact that Dave insisted that he wouldn't want to fight Alberto del Rio was awesome. Brought up a really good point about miz's booking as well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For free podcasts i would recommend the PW Torch livecasts (atleast the ones where Wade is on) and I Want Wrestling.

In general i get most of my audio from the PW Torch member site.

I tried Art of Wrestling but didnt really care for it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Oasx posted:

It usually depends on who the guest is. Check out the one with the Iron Sheik it's pretty funny.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Oasx posted:

I feel the same way, something about Colt Cabana just rubs me the wrong way and I can't make it through an episode.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

savinhill posted:

I feel the same way, something about Colt Cabana just rubs me the wrong way and I can't make it through an episode.

I like Colt Cabana and his comedy matches, but he comes across as a guy that is trying too hard to be funny.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Figure Four Daily had Larry Mollin today who wrote for Beverely Hills 90210 and WWE. It's a really great show and I recommend it.

Tidbits learned: DO NOT NOD IN AGENT MEETINGS! Vince hates that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

each to their own I guess. There's people I'd rather listen to when they monologue, but he's a great interviewer.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Karmine posted:

It usually depends on who the guest is. Check out the one with the Iron Sheik it's pretty funny.

I still say the Colin Delaney one is the best.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave going on about 90210 as Bryan is trying to end the show needs more love. I found it hilarious for some reason

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

I like Colt Cabana and his comedy matches, but he comes across as a guy that is trying too hard to be funny.
I agree about the trying too hard, I enjoy his comedy wrestling and characters, just not the man himself. He also comes off as thinking he's so much funnier than he actually is. He reminds me of a young Will Smith in these ways.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

triplexpac posted:

Dave going on about 90210 as Bryan is trying to end the show needs more love. I found it hilarious for some reason

Dr. Keith, Dave Meltzer and Rob Naylor talking about 90210 has to happen now.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Akileese posted:

Figure Four Daily had Larry Mollin today who wrote for Beverely Hills 90210 and WWE. It's a really great show and I recommend it.

Yeah if you are someone who was thinking about skipping this show, don't. It's really fascinating. If you like 90210 too this is a can't-miss show because he goes into a lot of that as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The more I hear the less I want to work at WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

The more I hear the less I want to work at WWE.

I do because it seems like a lawsuit in the making.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm not a huge fan or anything but Colt is nothing short of charming in every way :colbert:

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Listening to B&V now and somehow Bryan managed to get himself trolled by "Wild and Young" yet again. I'm now eagerly awaiting dreading the return of the "Chris Benoit killed his family" song before the show is through.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Akileese posted:

One of the things I found interesting was their discussion of how basic Vince/Stephanie want characterizations to be. I mean you can kind of already see that with stuff like Super-Cena and Super-Orton, but it's still a bit jarring to hear it. There's a middle ground between black and white and Vince Russo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Michael Cole is ever found dead we know who the police should investigate.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Borh posted:

Listening to B&V now and somehow Bryan managed to get himself trolled by "Wild and Young" yet again. I'm now eagerly awaiting dreading the return of the "Chris Benoit killed his family" song before the show is through.

How? How does he not remember that "Old Man River" leads into "Wild & young"?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

If Michael Cole is ever found dead we know who the police should investigate.

And if I ever need to hide a fat burger, I know which wrestler not to hide it behind

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If anyone listened to the Bryan and Vinnie show (free show today), Bryan pretty much totally snapped regarding The Miz and his booking/portrayal as champion. I think he went on for at least 7-10 minutes. It wasn't a rant for the ages, but it was still pretty impressive.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
The new Promote This with Dave Prazak and Allison Danger talking about Shimmer/women's wrestling is pretty good. Some of Allison's anecdotes about being booked for shows and asking if they can bring evening gowns and catfight because nobody's paying to see them or having fans literally turn their back on a match because they don't want to watch women's wrestling is really depressing. But her and Prazak both come off as enthusiastic about their promotion and hearing about how TNA's been pretty accomodating to them and their booking plans and stuff was nice to hear.

Also, this exchange near the end between Allison and Lagana.

"If it wasn't for Budweiser I never would've gotten twat waffle on the DVDs."
"Oh my goodness."
"Dave, can I say twat waffle? It's not exactly a curse."
"I'm not sure... is it like mangina? Or is it different from mangina?"
"It's better. It's better."
"I'm sure."

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

Dr. Keith, Dave Meltzer and Rob Naylor talking about 90210 has to happen now.

I would honest-to-god pay them extra cash if it meant this could be arranged.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oh god, Dave is such a huge 90210 fan it's hilarious.

He spent the first few minutes of today's WOR just no-selling every question Bryan asked and pumping him for information about the 90210 interview

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The first thing mentioned in the Observer Radio iTunes preview today is the Death of WCW, but they barely even mentioned it :colbert:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I like how on the Observer show today Bryan brings up the possibility of Cole beating Eve for the Divas title and Dave goes silent contemplating and then says "Well it's not the worst idea of the world". He then slowly talks himself into the angle.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think Colt needs someone else with him to riff off and provide balance. I haven't checked out $5 wrestling so I'm not sure how he does with Marty DeRosa but I'd imagine he's a bit more palatable when he's not shilling highspots or monologuing about nothing.

I love the Art of Wrestling but outside the song and the interview, he doesn't add that much. Since he's a wrestler he's kind of a softball interviewer and never talks about his own road stories that much, which is a shame.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"And when crossing the border and asked if you are carrying any dangerous weapons don't hold up your fists and say 'Only these'"

I laughed so hard at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance Storm's proposed Mae Young storyline made today's show awesome.

• Locked thread