Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is there a thread for CFA questions or can I ask here? I'm taking Level 1 in June and was wondering about people's experiences, suggestions, etc

Fiesty Francis posted:

I've completed the 3 levels of the CFA. I didn't find the program that difficult, but I studied my rear end off for it. Given the relatively low pass rates, it seems most people underestimate the effort required.

If you enjoyed your math background, you might also look in to becoming an actuary.
I assumed the same for the low pass rates, but the "study my rear end off" worries me because I work full time and don't really have all that much free time to study. I heard level 1 is not overly difficult if you were a finance major as it's repeated material, is that true?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper
Depends. I didn't find level one difficult but I spent a lot of time studying it, actually to the point of overkill. Scored +70% on everything but econ. Just because you were a finance major doesn't mean you will remember all the dupont ratios, bootstrapping yields, etc... You can definitely skip a lot of quant and basic accounting. Tough to say overall because I felt like I way overstudied for it, and knew I passed half way through the test, while most people who take it fail.

Level II is a beast and I barely passed, although I wasn't as thorough in my studying for that level. There were a lot of things I didn't know how to calculate. I think if you know how to do everything that comes up in the end of chapter and in text examples, you will pass if you are reasonably intelligent.

Level III was only hard on the essay portion because of time constraints. I had to rush the entire time, couldn't proof anything and finished with 3 minutes left. Multiple choice part was easy. Overall passed by a comfortable margin but I didn't blow it out of the water like level I. I made sure to know how to do every quantitative problem that could possibly come up on the test when I was doing my review.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That's reassuring, I definitely will study for it but after hearing loads of (unprepared, mostly) people I know fail it And then hearing how much there was to study I was beginning to panic. Level 2 I would definitely start studying far in advance for - I haven't even completed a year of employment yet so I'm in no rush to take it as soon as possible, I know you can't get the actual certification without enough work experience.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Well I just took the GMAT today. I botched the math but I did very, very well on the verbal, and my unofficial score is 690. I think this is good enough, although I'm sure I could do better on the quantitative if I studied more.

Pete Campbell
Feb 23, 2006

Same price as a chip and dip!
How useful would it be to get a business-related MS (non-MBA) before getting an MBA? I'm still an undergrad, but the school I might be transferring to has a fast-track program that lets you substitute graduate-level courses for your upper-level business electives. With this, I could get an MS in Finance, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, etc. in as little as a year after I finish my undergrad. After I get some work experience, I would still like to get an MBA.

So I guess my questions are:

-Is it beneficial to potential employers have a business-related MS and an MBA?

-Would starting a MS program directly after a BS be viewed unfavorably by potential employers?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Pete Campbell posted:

How useful would it be to get a business-related MS (non-MBA) before getting an MBA? I'm still an undergrad, but the school I might be transferring to has a fast-track program that lets you substitute graduate-level courses for your upper-level business electives. With this, I could get an MS in Finance, Entrepreneurship, Marketing, etc. in as little as a year after I finish my undergrad. After I get some work experience, I would still like to get an MBA.

So I guess my questions are:

-Would starting a MS program directly after a BS be viewed unfavorably by potential employers?

It's hard to say without knowing what you want to do. I imagine an MS in MIS or Accounting would be particularly useful in their respective fields. Who gives a poo poo if you have a masters in Entrepreneurship?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pete Campbell posted:

Almost certainly not, unless that MS is very, very specific to what you want to do and is in a hard science. An MS in marketing or something would be pretty pointless.

quote:

Are we talking about post-MBA employers, or your "get work experience" entry-level employers? The former won't care, I'm not sure about the latter.

Pete Campbell
Feb 23, 2006

Same price as a chip and dip!

bewbies posted:

Almost certainly not, unless that MS is very, very specific to what you want to do and is in a hard science. An MS in marketing or something would be pretty pointless.

Thanks. This is what I thought, but I figured it was at least worth looking into.

bewbies posted:

Are we talking about post-MBA employers, or your "get work experience" entry-level employers? The former won't care, I'm not sure about the latter.

Entry-level.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...
From what I've heard, besides accounting, some employers have a difficult time figuring out where exactly to place people coming out of masters programs (in the same spot as undergrads vs higher up) so recruiting at these programs can be poor. That said, I'm sure if you can afford the masters and need an extra year to find a job or get into a super prestigious program or want to refocus to an area that wasn't your undergrad major it can be beneficial.

Xipe Totec
Jan 27, 2006

by Ralp
What are people's thoughts on the London School for Business facebook MBA, where you can do the course and then pay to become accredited.

Is this a typical curriculum for an MBA?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator
So while it's past the time for any realistic applications for the 2011-2012 school year, this has been something I've been contemplating, and wanted to get some feedback.

I'm an older, non-traditional student. I'm 35, and receiving my bachelor's degree shortly. That's the bad news.

The good news, however, is that it's from Northwestern, and the degree is in Economics with a Mathematics minor, and as many Finance classes as I could take. Final GPA will be between 3.75-3.8. Good school, good academics, good grades.

Back to the bad. My decade-plus of work experience has all been in restaurants and restaurant management (excepting a short stint in the Navy). My interest is to change career fields from hospitality to the financial services sector, but as you might imagine, I have had minimal success in getting any interviews in my job search coming from undergrad.

I've researched MBA programs, but the "work experience" guidelines tend to be pretty vague. Are programs looking for financial/business work experience, or does the management experience that I've gained in my background considered adequate? (I should mention further that my management time hasn't been static...I've risen in management and have plenty of resume-droppings about using analytical and quantitative techniques in my history.)

While I'd like to get some actual financial sector work experience before considering an MBA, I'm also at wits' end since I've been trying to line up a job for the better part of a year and have had no luck at all.

My biggest concern is that if I don't get into a finance job in the next 6 months to a year, my window of availability for that will likely be almost completely closed. As such, I'm thinking that prepping for an MBA application as a secondary plan, in case nothing comes down the pike. Does this make sense, or would it be throwing good money after bad?

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.
I've got a question about part time MBA focuses and how they are received in the world. I'm going to Xavier University, and he focus requirement to take a set of electives totaling either 9 or 12 credit hours. The two focus categories I'm interested in are "General Business" and Finance, which is take 9 hours of anything or 12 hours of Finance courses respectively. I'm going to be graduating from a part time MBA program either next Spring or Summer of 2012 depending on what focus I take, since I'll be short 3 hours in the focus and would have that hanging on into Summer.

Reason I ask is my GB focus would have 9 hours of Finance electives anyway, and my wife and I are working out some family planning things and my nightschooling plus her 2nd/3rd year of residency = darn little time for kids. I want to do this right and if that means hanging around for the summer, so be it (I can juggle it such that the summer course is online, anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard), but if nobody cares about this stuff then why bother? Particularly since my background isn't in business, is anyone really going to care what I focus in?

Background: BS in Chemistry, MS in Chemical Engineering, working as an chemical engineer for a drat fine Fortune 500 company since 2008. I'd want to use my MBA once I've got it, so I'd likely move out of an engineering role into something more financial/business related, but have no plans thus far.

Thanks.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

T0MSERV0 posted:

I've got a question about part time MBA focuses and how they are received in the world. I'm going to Xavier University, and he focus requirement to take a set of electives totaling either 9 or 12 credit hours. The two focus categories I'm interested in are "General Business" and Finance, which is take 9 hours of anything or 12 hours of Finance courses respectively. I'm going to be graduating from a part time MBA program either next Spring or Summer of 2012 depending on what focus I take, since I'll be short 3 hours in the focus and would have that hanging on into Summer.

Reason I ask is my GB focus would have 9 hours of Finance electives anyway, and my wife and I are working out some family planning things and my nightschooling plus her 2nd/3rd year of residency = darn little time for kids. I want to do this right and if that means hanging around for the summer, so be it (I can juggle it such that the summer course is online, anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard), but if nobody cares about this stuff then why bother? Particularly since my background isn't in business, is anyone really going to care what I focus in?

Background: BS in Chemistry, MS in Chemical Engineering, working as an chemical engineer for a drat fine Fortune 500 company since 2008. I'd want to use my MBA once I've got it, so I'd likely move out of an engineering role into something more financial/business related, but have no plans thus far.

Thanks.

If you can specify the courses of each choice it would make it easier for the finance guys to advise. Off the cuff, I would recommend the finance route if you felt confidently that 1) you have a knack, liking or penchant for finance and 2) you see yourself using the finance aspect of your MBA in your current and future employment (does Chemical Engineering or management of CE-related teams have opportunities for you to use that specialty). Otherwise, you're fine with the GB deal especially if it makes wife happy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CarterUSM posted:

I've researched MBA programs, but the "work experience" guidelines tend to be pretty vague. Are programs looking for financial/business work experience, or does the management experience that I've gained in my background considered adequate? (I should mention further that my management time hasn't been static...I've risen in management and have plenty of resume-droppings about using analytical and quantitative techniques in my history.)

I would think your work history would be pretty decent. You've had leadership experience which is always a plus, and I assume you've also had to deal at least a little bit with some low level financal problems and that helps too.

To that end, I think you're a very good candidate for a straight-through MBA: you're going to have a tough time walking straight into a decent finance job straight out of undergrad (remember, you're competing with a bunch of MBAs), but you have far more work experience than most straight-through MBA candidates have. My advice would be to do an MBA with a finance emphasis, move heaven and earth to try and get a finance internship both this summer and next, and then try and move into a finance job.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

Orgasmo posted:

If you can specify the courses of each choice it would make it easier for the finance guys to advise. Off the cuff, I would recommend the finance route if you felt confidently that 1) you have a knack, liking or penchant for finance and 2) you see yourself using the finance aspect of your MBA in your current and future employment (does Chemical Engineering or management of CE-related teams have opportunities for you to use that specialty). Otherwise, you're fine with the GB deal especially if it makes wife happy.

I've got the like and ability for finance just fine - I'm taking 3 electives in finance in any case, it's only a question of picking up the last 1. So far I know that the 3 electives I'll be taking/have taken are International Finance, Financial Modeling, and Investment Management. These 3 satisfy the General Business focus, so the only question is what would the 4th class be, and I can't honestly say. Until next Spring's schedules is posted I don't know what will be offered. I'd probably like to get Mergers and Acquisitions, but to a large extent it would be picking the best of what is offered.

Obviously by the time I need to make up my schedule for Spring I'll have a better idea what timing I'm dealing with and if it will even be an issue, but I figured I'd ask. My inclination is to get the Finance degree because I'll have been at this thing for 3 solid years by then and it seems stupid to quit 1 class shy, but it seems equally stupid to put my family through a rough patch if the focus designation isn't worth anything.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

CarterUSM posted:

Questions about relevance of work experience

There is a guy in my program (if it matters, its a top 25 program) whose work experience is entirely restaurant related; he was a head chef and then a manager/owner of an upscale restaurant. If that's any indication, you probably have a decent shot too, considering you have military experience as well, which MBA programs seem to love.

It sounds like you will probably be applying for Fall 2012. If so, you've got plenty of time to join some financial services professional societies/take some graduate finance not-for-credit part-time (get As!)/do other things that will show MBA acceptance committees that you are truly interested in finance. Good luck!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I was accepted into a business masters program in France, it will be for a Masters in International Management. I am pretty stoked but in order to continue into the 2nd year of the masters program I will have to take a GMAT test.

I was planning to do law school all through my undergraduate career so I became very familiar with the LSAT and even took the drat thing. I now have to totally change gears and take this drat GMAT. All I need to score is a 550. I'm already in the university, this score is just to fufill some sort of formality with the institution that accredited the university.

My question to you guys is how easy is it to get a 550? I haven't taken a real math class in over 4 years. Is there a way I can basically guess on the math section and kick rear end in the other sections and still score a 550? Is a 550 a really hard score? I know Harvard and such are around 700 or so. But I am not really sure at what scores do the general percentile numbers drop off.

Also what is the general feel for French Masters. Am I going to be able to get a job when I get back to the US?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 22, 2011

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

I was accepted into a business masters program in France, it will be for a Masters in International Management. I am pretty stoked but in order to continue into the 2nd year of the masters program I will have to take a GMAT test.

I was planning to do law school all through my undergraduate career so I became very familiar with the LSAT and even took the drat thing. I now have to totally change gears and take this drat GMAT. All I need to score is a 550. I'm already in the university, this score is just to fufill some sort of formality with the institution that accredited the university.

My question to you guys is how easy is it to get a 550? I haven't taken a real math class in over 4 years. Is there a way I can basically guess on the math section and kick rear end in the other sections and still score a 550? Is a 550 a really hard score? I know Harvard and such are around 700 or so. But I am not really sure at what scores do the general percentile numbers drop off.

Also what is the general feel for French Masters. Am I going to be able to get a job when I get back to the US?

550 should be stupidly easy. There are tables online with percentile tables of the scores from past years, 550 should be around the 50th percentile.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper
You can take an official practice test (which I found to be very close to the actual test) to see how close your score is. From there you can decide if you actually need to study or not.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

If you are fluent in French or are confident you will be by graduation, why not check there first? I would think that part of the strength of this program lies in French business connections and internships. If that fails, you can fall back on the US or Canadian employment market.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Does anybody have experience with an MS in engineering and an MBA? I'm mostly done with undergrad and I'm starting on my Masters classes. My boss at the place I am interning suggested I consider doing a combined MBA/MS which would take 4 semesters instead of 3. That would be at the state school I am in right now. On the other hand if I graduated from this school I could go back later on using tuition reimbursement, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of going back to school at a point when I may have a wife and kids to deal with on top of a full time job.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Does anybody have experience with an MS in engineering and an MBA? I'm mostly done with undergrad and I'm starting on my Masters classes. My boss at the place I am interning suggested I consider doing a combined MBA/MS which would take 4 semesters instead of 3. That would be at the state school I am in right now. On the other hand if I graduated from this school I could go back later on using tuition reimbursement, but I'm not thrilled with the idea of going back to school at a point when I may have a wife and kids to deal with on top of a full time job.

I'd reccomend against getting the MBA without any work experience. Personally I got my undergrad then began my Engineering Masters right away once I started a full time engineering job after graduation (so basically I had the summer off and started part time grad school in the fall). Once I finished the Masters, I took a year off before starting my MBA through a part time program at the local state school (Not Ivy League, but ranked in the top 50). So essentially I started my MBA 3 years after finishing undergrad. I'm about halfway through now and I can say with certainty that if I had tried to do the MBA right away I would not have taken as much out of it. A lot of the topics just require you to have the work experience under your belt to fully grasp them. If anything, I think the MBA would have been better to do in a few more years when I had some experience with direct reports rather than just leading engineering teams.

Plus with the MBA and no experience you risk overqualifying yourself for the kind of work you'd be applying for. Nobody is going to hire you as an engineering manager with no experience, and they might be hesistant to hire you into a junior or mid level engineering role if you've made it clear through the MBA that you don't plan on sticking around.

And thirdly, let them pay for it. My company has sunk like 40k already into my degrees, and has another 20k or so to go before I'm done with the MBA. Plus this has kept all my undergrad loans in defferment.

Edit: However, if your university has a partnership with an engineering company to take people out of the MS/MBA program and put them directly into their executive pipeline, then I take it back and say go for it. Those kinds of agreements do exist.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Have any of you heard about the customer driven MBA program at U Memphis? They pair students up with local medical device companies, who pay them to work part-time and also cover the tuition (with a 2 year work contract after graduation or you have to pay them back).

I have degrees in mechanical- and bio-engineering but have been unable to get into the medical device field. I am also interested in entrepreneurship, so this seems like a dream come true to me (except the part about Memphis). So I was wondering if any of you had thoughts on the program. I am 29 so a 4 year commitment seems a bit long, but if it's something I like doing then why not, right?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Hopefully you guys can help me with this. I finished my degree in French in December and after working at my current job I know I want to do an MBA. I've found the perfect one too. It's an MBA/MA in French at Boston College. My only fear is that my grades aren't too stellar (3.2 overall, 3.75 major). What can I do to improve my chances of getting into an MBA program?

Also, BC sucks at giving information. The French department says "Ask the MBA department" the MBA department says "Ask admissions" and admissions gives information that conflicts with what the French department's and MBA department's sites say. Hooray.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Koine posted:

I'm starting to worry that I'm focusing too much on an MBA to get started on a career path. I like business, but my experience is floor-level sales and administration, not managing anybody other than a couple warehouse guys and installers. I'm trying to get into sustainable development, but I'm aware my history/poli sci degree is a bit of a crutch for finding work in that sector. Any advice, or should I just hope I manage to sell the school I'm thinking of on my limited experience? I should note, the experience is not post-degree. I'm finishing up this year, but I took several years off undergrad to work full time.

I would not sweat your undergrad degree at all. In fact, it might work in your favor. I was a history major, and in my interviews I was able to talk about how the history program improved my writing and research abilities, which every interviewer I talked to really liked. It sets you apart a bit from the horde of math/finance/business undergrads, who coincidentally enough are largely terrible writers.

That plus the fact that you've got real experience (and a liking for) sales will make you a very good candidate, very different from most applicants. Make sure you talk up your interest in sales (including a long term plan, like "I want to move into high-end B2B sales and work as a regional sales manager" or something) as MBAs who are really interested in sales are few and far between.

Elucidarius posted:

Hopefully you guys can help me with this. I finished my degree in French in December and after working at my current job I know I want to do an MBA. I've found the perfect one too. It's an MBA/MA in French at Boston College. My only fear is that my grades aren't too stellar (3.2 overall, 3.75 major). What can I do to improve my chances of getting into an MBA program?

Also, BC sucks at giving information. The French department says "Ask the MBA department" the MBA department says "Ask admissions" and admissions gives information that conflicts with what the French department's and MBA department's sites say. Hooray.

Do you mean it is a dual degree, like an MA in French and an MBA, or do you mean it is an MBA curriculum taught in French?

If it is the former, you'll probably have to get accepted to both programs, maybe have to take both the GMAT and GRE? Your GPA is decent enough (especially if it is from a good school), so I wouldn't sweat that too much. I would look to doing at least 2 years or so of full time work before you pursue the MBA though, that will make the GPA even less relevant.

That said, one thing I'd look at doing is the GMAT right now. If you've only been out of school for a few months your mind is probably still solidly in academic mode, which is a nice advantage to have on something like the GMAT (where a lot of people, like me, have to re-learn how to take tests after years of working). The scores are good for 5 years, so try and lock in a good score now instead of waiting.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

bewbies posted:

Do you mean it is a dual degree, like an MA in French and an MBA, or do you mean it is an MBA curriculum taught in French?

If it is the former, you'll probably have to get accepted to both programs, maybe have to take both the GMAT and GRE? Your GPA is decent enough (especially if it is from a good school), so I wouldn't sweat that too much. I would look to doing at least 2 years or so of full time work before you pursue the MBA though, that will make the GPA even less relevant.

That said, one thing I'd look at doing is the GMAT right now. If you've only been out of school for a few months your mind is probably still solidly in academic mode, which is a nice advantage to have on something like the GMAT (where a lot of people, like me, have to re-learn how to take tests after years of working). The scores are good for 5 years, so try and lock in a good score now instead of waiting.
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry yeah it's an MA in French and an MBA. You're right I do have to be accepted in both departments. I only actually need the GMAT or GRE though. However, my school was from from a good school. It is pretty mediocre, though it's in the process of changing. I got rejected from almost every French MA I applied to (OSU, Berkeley, UT- Austin). So applying to Boston College feels a little daunting to me. I'm not a horrible student by any means, in fact I was probably one of the top students in my French department. It's just that I took 2 years to realize that and messed up bad. I did get into Middlebury and University of North Texas but the Boston College + working up and saving for a year or more sounds so much better.

xdimitrix
Nov 21, 2003
D.B. Cooper

Elucidarius posted:

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry yeah it's an MA in French and an MBA. You're right I do have to be accepted in both departments. I only actually need the GMAT or GRE though. However, my school was from from a good school. It is pretty mediocre, though it's in the process of changing. I got rejected from almost every French MA I applied to (OSU, Berkeley, UT- Austin). So applying to Boston College feels a little daunting to me. I'm not a horrible student by any means, in fact I was probably one of the top students in my French department. It's just that I took 2 years to realize that and messed up bad. I did get into Middlebury and University of North Texas but the Boston College + working up and saving for a year or more sounds so much better.

Not sure what your specific interest in French is, but there are some good MBA programs in France (HEC Paris, EDHEC, INSEAD) where you could get your MBA (will still be taught in English) and enroll in a masters at the same or another nearby university.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

xdimitrix posted:

Not sure what your specific interest in French is, but there are some good MBA programs in France (HEC Paris, EDHEC, INSEAD) where you could get your MBA (will still be taught in English) and enroll in a masters at the same or another nearby university.

That actually sounds perfect for me. I may have to research that, thanks! Though how would I pay for it? I don't really have a lot of money to my name and I've only recently started saving.

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
You guys, I'm at a big impasse and need some advice.

Here is a little background. I am a young guy (2 years workforce experience), work for my family company, and have the blessing that I can pay for my MBA on my own. I go to a decent (not great) school and feel highly unfulfilled. The thing is, they waived some of my classes and I only have a little over a year left in the program, this school also gives me the ability (Jesuit MBA transfer agreement) to transfer (if I'm accepted) to other, slightly better schools in major cities across the U.S. in case I get a job or internship anywhere including Loyola Chicago, Boston College, Fordham in NYC, and the lesser Duquesne in Pittsburgh.

The thing is, I've been having trouble landing good internships and I think it MAY be because of my school... I think I may be able to get into a much better program at OSU or Case Western, but I'm not sure if I want to put down that I go to my current school since obviously no credits will transfer and I believe it might reflect poorly on my perceived "vision" or planning for my life, which to be honest, isn't as clear as it could be.

Should I put down that I attended the mediocre school I go to now when I apply to better programs? Or would that reflect poorly on me?

Should I even go to a better program or continue to tough it out here and consider transferring to one of the slightly better schools I mentioned?

Edit: Also, does anyone know anything about the Duke Cross-Continent program? That looks like something that would be right up my alley with flexibility but is a little on the expensive side. My cousin is an executive at a large liquor company in NYC and did it and loved it, but does it carry the same weight as other Duke programs i.e. do you get the same degree?

Thanks guys, I look forward to any help.

BLACK AIDS ORGY fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 14, 2011

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008

Elucidarius posted:

That actually sounds perfect for me. I may have to research that, thanks! Though how would I pay for it? I don't really have a lot of money to my name and I've only recently started saving.

http://www.mba.hec.edu/

http://mba.insead.edu/home/

INSEAD's MBA is very well known in Europe as well as HEC's. I dont know about Edhec though. Its an ok business school but the top jobs are really dominated by the grads of the three parisian business schools : HEC, Essec (which titled its Msc in management "MBA3 although it was NOT a MBA program, the prograam has been rename Msc in management in 2010 to clarify that) and ESCP.

Traditional French business schools deliver a Msc in management. Some of them have MBA programs but really in France there are only two MBA programs worth a try : INSEAD and HEC.

If you are fluent in french you can always go there : http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/EmploiEtudes/Etudes-Orientation/petite-histoire-mba-sujet_24254_1.htm

People on that forum can be quite annoying but most are very knowledgeable, there are HEC and INSEAD grads.

Regarding money though, I don't know. Converting dollars to euros will hurt. And cost of living in France is really high. So I don't know. You can always work one more year and take a loan.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 14, 2011

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

You guys, I'm at a big impasse and need some advice.

Here is a little background. I am a young guy (2 years workforce experience), work for my family company, and have the blessing that I can pay for my MBA on my own. I go to a decent (not great) school and feel highly unfulfilled. The thing is, they waived some of my classes and I only have a little over a year left in the program, this school also gives me the ability (Jesuit MBA transfer agreement) to transfer (if I'm accepted) to other, slightly better schools in major cities across the U.S. in case I get a job or internship anywhere including Loyola Chicago, Boston College, Fordham in NYC, and the lesser Duquesne in Pittsburgh.

The thing is, I've been having trouble landing good internships and I think it MAY be because of my school... I think I may be able to get into a much better program at OSU or Case Western, but I'm not sure if I want to put down that I go to my current school since obviously no credits will transfer and I believe it might reflect poorly on my perceived "vision" or planning for my life, which to be honest, isn't as clear as it could be.

Should I put down that I attended the mediocre school I go to now when I apply to better programs? Or would that reflect poorly on me?

Should I even go to a better program or continue to tough it out here and consider transferring to one of the slightly better schools I mentioned?

Edit: Also, does anyone know anything about the Duke Cross-Continent program? That looks like something that would be right up my alley with flexibility but is a little on the expensive side. My cousin is an executive at a large liquor company in NYC and did it and loved it, but does it carry the same weight as other Duke programs i.e. do you get the same degree?

Thanks guys, I look forward to any help.

I'm actually attending one of the Jesuit schools that you mentioned and also thought about transferring to a different school if the opportunity presented itself. Since you've already started your program, I would see it as a waste of time if you started all over but would definitely keep transferring to a different school idea in mind. I think the thing holding you back may be your limited work experience, which sadly, you can't really do anything about but continuing working.

Have you tried networking through your school (alumni) or using them as a resource to find an internship?

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010

oye como va posted:

I'm actually attending one of the Jesuit schools that you mentioned and also thought about transferring to a different school if the opportunity presented itself. Since you've already started your program, I would see it as a waste of time if you started all over but would definitely keep transferring to a different school idea in mind. I think the thing holding you back may be your limited work experience, which sadly, you can't really do anything about but continuing working.

Have you tried networking through your school (alumni) or using them as a resource to find an internship?

I agree, and it has become more clear to me in the past week that I must transfer, if not school-wise, for my own sake of fulfillment. I also agree that, even if it is a better school, transferring outside the network will be a total waste of time. I have very good prospects for a job/internship in the current area of the school I'm in as well as a few of the mentioned schools. Hopefully you read this, as I would like to PM you to ask you about which school you attend and your feelings about the school, where you're thinking of transferring, etc as it's clear you don't want to break anonymity by saying where you go. :)

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I am still doing my undergraduate work, but I was looking at some of the MBAs available to me, and one of them has a Forensic Accounting concentration, which looked pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with Forensic Accounting in either an academic or professional setting?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

soscannonballs posted:

I am still doing my undergraduate work, but I was looking at some of the MBAs available to me, and one of them has a Forensic Accounting concentration, which looked pretty interesting. Does anyone have any experience with Forensic Accounting in either an academic or professional setting?

Some government forensic accounting positions give you a gun. Accountants with guns, enough said.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

soscannonballs posted:

I am not an accountant but we had a guest speaker in a college class that was a forensic accountant and it sounded pretty bad rear end. I mean, you still have to like accounting because you're still doing all those things, but it seemed way more fulfilling to snoop out people's offshore dirty money than file some corp's taxes every year.

Plus it's one of the only realistic ways to get into the FBI,if that's of any interest.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Hopefully you guys can help me out, I've got a few questions.

I graduated in December with a BA in French and History(double major). I found a job the first week of March at a publicly traded company because they were looking for French speakers.

First, I already have deferred admissions to a non-top tier school for an MA in French so that's really my fall back option.

What I'm planning on doing is taking the GMAT and applying to a few MBA schools.

Over the summer I will be taking MBA classes as a non-degree student at a non-flagship state university, which is going to be my safety MBA school. In the fall I am hoping to take a graduate course in French at the same school.

What I'm unsure of is how strict MBA programs are about grades. The schools I want to go to are University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Boston College and NYU because they have dual degree options for MBA/MA in French. I'm not only applying to these programs but they are definitely my top 3 choices. My problem lies in that my overall GPA is 3.2 (3.75 in French). I know a GMAT score over 700 will definitely help but what else can I do to better my chances of acceptance?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Little bit off topic but did you ask your company to see if they had tuition assistance? That way you're only paying for a portion of your expensive education and would be guaranteed a job in the sense that they usually require you work there for an additional 12-24 months. Nothing like job security in a slow economy, I say.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Orgasmo posted:

Little bit off topic but did you ask your company to see if they had tuition assistance? That way you're only paying for a portion of your expensive education and would be guaranteed a job in the sense that they usually require you work there for an additional 12-24 months. Nothing like job security in a slow economy, I say.

They will. Only problem is my bottom 2 schools are the only options in this city. On top of that they will only pay after I've worked here 2 years, so I'd be half way through the MBA when they start helping but better than nothing!

Elucidarius fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Elucidarius posted:

Hopefully you guys can help me out, I've got a few questions.

I graduated in December with a BA in French and History(double major). I found a job the first week of March at a publicly traded company because they were looking for French speakers.

First, I already have deferred admissions to a non-top tier school for an MA in French so that's really my fall back option.

What I'm planning on doing is taking the GMAT and applying to a few MBA schools.

Over the summer I will be taking MBA classes as a non-degree student at a non-flagship state university, which is going to be my safety MBA school. In the fall I am hoping to take a graduate course in French at the same school.

What I'm unsure of is how strict MBA programs are about grades. The schools I want to go to are University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Boston College and NYU because they have dual degree options for MBA/MA in French. I'm not only applying to these programs but they are definitely my top 3 choices. My problem lies in that my overall GPA is 3.2 (3.75 in French). I know a GMAT score over 700 will definitely help but what else can I do to better my chances of acceptance?

Why on earth do you want to get an MBA straight out of undergrad? Unless you had some substantial work experience before college, you'll get very little out of the experience and contribute very little to your classmates.

I say you work for this company and if you like it, after a few years, get them to pay for your MBA. Problem solved.