Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

reality_groove posted:

I love the Art of Wrestling but outside the song and the interview, he doesn't add that much. Since he's a wrestler he's kind of a softball interviewer and never talks about his own road stories that much, which is a shame.

That is what bothers me also, it just seems strange to be friends with all these interesting people and then not talk about what the listeners want to hear, for example having Samoa Joe there would be a perfect time to honestly ask him about how TNA is using him, instead its just the same old buddy talk.

Also is it just me or did CM Punk come off as a real rear end in a top hat in his episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oasx posted:

That is what bothers me also, it just seems strange to be friends with all these interesting people and then not talk about what the listeners want to hear, for example having Samoa Joe there would be a perfect time to honestly ask him about how TNA is using him, instead its just the same old buddy talk.

Also is it just me or did CM Punk come off as a real rear end in a top hat in his episode?

Why would Joe kill any chance he has of ever getting a push? He's only a big dumb baby in storyline.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I finally broke down and watched 3 straight weeks of Impact in hopes that it would be entertaining in a train wreck kind of way because of how hilarious I find Bryan and Vinny's reviews. And it wasn't. So last week was the end of my trial with that. And luckily so because drat does it sound like last night's show had some horrible poo poo on it. I think I can live with just hearing their reviews instead of actually watching it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
It's a trap.

I've often made this mistake too, like I'm sure a lot of us have.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't watch it.

And I thank the lord every day for that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Colt is only an okay interview, but the very fact that someone who knows the life is interviewing people in the life makes it fascinating.

Lagana, on the other hand, is a genuinely great interview. His "Formerly creative" shows are killer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oasx posted:

CM Punk comes across as a real rear end in a top hat for the same reason that Edge comes across as a Canadian.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Lagana, on the other hand, is a genuinely great interview. His "Formerly creative" shows are killer.
I'm not saying he isn't but I've never thought of him as a particularly fantastic interviewer, in the formerly creative series (probably the show that least shows off his interviewing skills) I think the appeal lies in just hearing how much the writers who are often presented as warped depictions of what they actually are for the most part are just regular wrestling fans who feel just as frustrated as us about the same things as we're frustrated about in relation to WWE.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

I can't watch it.

And I thank the lord every day for that.

I tried it and made it through about 45 minutes of programming.

e: This is the BEST way to open the Bryan and Vinnie show.
"This show was better than last week's show in that if a great plague came along and killed 1.5 million people another one came along this week and killed 1.4 million people."

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 25, 2011

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

So I have a web radio show and sometimes I tell wrasslin stories.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12702734
The stories start at 1hr16min

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13166512
Here you can hear some of the shady side of wrasslin at 39min

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

FORMER WRITERS OF WWE WEEK at F4W! :toot:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HulkaMatt posted:

FORMER WRITERS OF WWE WEEK at F4W! :toot:

Does it need subscription?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Gatts posted:

Yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You need to pay for these insider bowling scoops.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Gatts posted:

Worth it if you want to get the inside scoop on 90210.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Big scoops this week: 90210, bowling, trendy clothes, drag racing and cinema.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Sweet, a podcast that has former WWE creative members on it? And I get to pay for it? Waaait a minute, I'll just listen to Formerly Creative.

Speaking of which on the latest episode they talk about how WWE might have done Wargames if not for 9/11. :911:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

Sweet, a podcast that has former WWE creative members on it? And I get to pay for it? Waaait a minute, I'll just listen to Formerly Creative.

Speaking of which on the latest episode they talk about how WWE might have done Wargames if not for 9/11. :911:

Wait was this because Hassan was supposed to be involved?

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004

Borh posted:

Listening to B&V now and somehow Bryan managed to get himself trolled by "Wild and Young" yet again. I'm now eagerly awaiting dreading the return of the "Chris Benoit killed his family" song before the show is through.

Where/when was this? What show are you talking about? I missed this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Akileese posted:

I'm guessing he means the actual 9/11. There were rumors at the time that a Wargames match was going to be the blow-off of the Invasion angle.

WWE was probably leery of having any sort of "War" naming post-9/11, they even dropped the name "Raw is War" right afterwards.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

You need to pay for these insider bowling scoops.

And how you can't use any wrestling lingo if you are a mark.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
If anyone ever had any interest in checking out my podcast Smart Wrestling Fan, I'd say do so now, because we did our 300th episode this week and it's probably my favourite. A song about HHH/Taker at WM, a radio play of The Chaperone, one of the co-hosts being incredibly drunk... 3 and a half hours of nonsense, and also wrestling chat.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

dshban posted:

A song about HHH/Taker at WM, a radio play of The Chaperone, one of the co-hosts being incredibly drunk...

Oh so Larry was his normal self? I liked the HHH/Taker song.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Larry Mollin episode is great. For all the rage over the years that people have had over the Hollywood TV writers being brought in by the evil Vince McMahon and it turns out that it was something that they did to placate the corporate factions in the company and that Vince and his inner circle basically always set them up to fail.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Akileese posted:

No it was because 9/11 happened. They didn't want to do something called "War Games" right after the start of a war.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

No it was because 9/11 happened. They didn't want to do something called "War Games" right after the start of a war.

Didn't have to call it wargames though. WWE constantly rebrands things the way they see fit so I was surprised they didn't just change the name entirely.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

dshban posted:

If anyone ever had any interest in checking out my podcast Smart Wrestling Fan, I'd say do so now, because we did our 300th episode this week and it's probably my favourite. A song about HHH/Taker at WM, a radio play of The Chaperone, one of the co-hosts being incredibly drunk... 3 and a half hours of nonsense, and also wrestling chat.

Things I liked: almost all of it, the secret co-host show at the end
Things I didn't like: you singing that loving Friday song. May you burn in hell.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Akileese posted:

Didn't have to call it wargames though. WWE constantly rebrands things the way they see fit so I was surprised they didn't just change the name entirely.

They did change the name. And the concept. It became the Elimination Chamber.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Lamuella posted:

They did change the name. And the concept. It became the Elimination Chamber.

That's not war games at all!

edit: oh the concept.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

Oh so Larry was his normal self? I liked the HHH/Taker song.

Exactly, and thanks. Someone just made a video of it.

Lamuella posted:

Things I liked: almost all of it, the secret co-host show at the end
Things I didn't like: you singing that loving Friday song. May you burn in hell.

Fun Fun Fun Fun

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Court Bauer's story of Vince wanting to race cars with him is hilarious. Any story of Vince in the real world is hilarious.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I am listening to the podcast of The Law and I wish these guys would hang up on callers more often.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Mania Week creative Figure 4 Dailies are so much better than Formerly Creative. Bryan is a far superior interviewer. This isn't to say Formerly Creative is bad, the Mania Week shows are just far more entertaining.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

The Mania Week creative Figure 4 Dailies are so much better than Formerly Creative. Bryan is a far superior interviewer. This isn't to say Formerly Creative is bad, the Mania Week shows are just far more entertaining.

Adding Bryan makes everything more entertaining. Though I'm not a fan of the Formerly Creative shows anyway. I listened to two of them and stopped. Just didn't enjoy them. Lagana's Press the Press shows are pretty good though.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
I almost died laughing atthe free WO show today. The topic of Rima Fakih's school came up and she'd previously claimed that there was a shooting or stabbling at her school every day which led to this exchange (paraphrasing):

Bryan: If anyone can find me a school where there was a shooting or stabbing EVERY DAY, I will give you $100
Dave: How many consecutive days does it need to be on?
Bryan: A full school year. Three-hundred-and-sixty-five days
Dave: That's going to be hard. That's a long shot. I don't think you're going to find one
Bryan: That's the point
Dave: ...................... What if it was 365 stabbings in 1 day instead?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Dave internally debating whether or not Vince was actually waterskiing when he came up with the idea for wrestlemania was also pretty funny.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Formerly creative annoys me because they're too close to the source to really get into it. Dave's like: So it's pretty hosed up working there... let's start talking about how much we hated it. Oh hey, you worked with Heyman with the Smackdown Six? That would have been cool I guess but let's talk about the time we went to Italy...

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Neodoomium posted:

I am listening to the podcast of The Law and I wish these guys would hang up on callers more often.
Jason Agnew seems to want to kill most of the callers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Formerly creative annoys me because they're too close to the source to really get into it. Dave's like: So it's pretty hosed up working there... let's start talking about how much we hated it. Oh hey, you worked with Heyman with the Smackdown Six? That would have been cool I guess but let's talk about the time we went to Italy...

Well, it's not so much that to me, it's this weird diplomatic approach they take. Like, the couple I listened to never even really acknowledged how hosed up the environment is, it was all "No disrespect, they're the kings, it's not fair to say anything bad about the set-up...". Which, fine, don't burn your bridges, but A) most of these guys DO get into that stuff with Alvarez and B) most of them are adamant they're not going back, so why bother?

Seriously, listen to Formerly Creative with Goldstein and then listen to F4D with Court Bauer. It's like they're talking about two different things. Larry Mollin had it dead on. WWE is like a cult. They want you broken, beaten down and indoctrinated so the company is all you think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
It could be something as simple as Lagana isn't paying them and they're smart enough to know RF will pay them some nominal amount for their info.

• Locked thread